Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The only thing is, he's with Billy in the preview of the next episode. Which makes it look like they go back to Dallas together, without resetting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well, he could start over again but decide he wants to still save the janitor + siblings, and decide to meet up with Billy again.

But yeah maybe not. It will be weird if he never starts over at all.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I kinda hope he goes back at least once, because IIRC in the book when he saved boy Janitor it led to some unintended fuckup consequences in the future. I kinda want to see a payoff there.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

In the show it seems like Al and Jake got in a fight and Jake walked off, yet they keep having flashbacks to a conversation between them... in any case, in one of those flashbacks Al mentions saving someone from a hunting accident, iirc in the books that accident happened shortly after the rabbit hole opening date and Jake did tons of restarts saving her and seeing how everything plays out? Am I right?

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

In the show it seems like Al and Jake got in a fight and Jake walked off, yet they keep having flashbacks to a conversation between them... in any case, in one of those flashbacks Al mentions saving someone from a hunting accident, iirc in the books that accident happened shortly after the rabbit hole opening date and Jake did tons of restarts saving her and seeing how everything plays out? Am I right?

I think it was just mentioned in passing in the first episode that they "talked all night", and to be honest I kind of like that it's just a simple way to draw on the facts or rules that Jake knows throughout? It's been a while since I read the book but I actually really like it as a way to move the plot forward in tv format?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Finally caught up on episode two last night. I'm fine with this not being a straight adaptation of the book, but it seemed like a waste of time to spend an entire episode of a miniseries establishing "hey this drunk who murders his family might be a little crazy." I thought he was good and menacing but apart from that it was a pretty one-dimensional characterization. If you want to further explore a character who barely appears in the book I'm fine with it, but you have to actually, yknow, do it.

I also rolled my eyes pretty hard at the ostensibly pointless WWII story. I thought episode 1 was a fine start but this one felt like a stumble for me.

Chris Cooper though. Chris Cooper is legit.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Karmine posted:

Finally caught up on episode two last night. I'm fine with this not being a straight adaptation of the book, but it seemed like a waste of time to spend an entire episode of a miniseries establishing "hey this drunk who murders his family might be a little crazy." I thought he was good and menacing but apart from that it was a pretty one-dimensional characterization. If you want to further explore a character who barely appears in the book I'm fine with it, but you have to actually, yknow, do it.

I also rolled my eyes pretty hard at the ostensibly pointless WWII story. I thought episode 1 was a fine start but this one felt like a stumble for me.

its called drama.....

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Yeah but I want good drama. The climax at the Dunning house was plenty dramatic and the best scene of the episode by a long shot. Pretty much everything else just felt like treading water to me.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Karmine posted:

The scenes with the dad Frank wasn't just to establish he's crazy, but for Jake to come to grips with actually murdering someone. Especially difficult ethically for him considering he's technically innocent. The entire premise of his time-jump is to commit a murder (or at least stop one, with the current plan being to kill the assassin before the plot). If he can't come to grips with killing, his mission is going to be a lot more difficult or even impossible.

I'm fine with using an entire episode to let Jack wrestle with that idea, culminating in him following through. It would have been lame to have the show go 10 episodes and then ultimately have Jack not able to kill because of his conscience or whatever cop out.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I didn't view the episode as a matter of Jake wrapping his mind around killing someone. Through that lens it makes a lot more sense but I still can't shake the idea that the main point of this episode was to give Josh Duhamel as much screen time as possible.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Karmine posted:

a character who barely appears in the book

The book is 866 pages pages long and the first 250 of those is dedicated to his "test run" of stopping the crazy dad from murdering his family, the book spent a lot of time on him. Having Jake actually spend time with the father in person is a lot more engaging and appropriate for a visual medium like TV than an episode of him just skulking in the shadows spying on them and musing about how wrong everything feels, especially since they couldn't use Derry and the kids from IT.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I guess. It's been a few years since I read the book, and I'm certainly forgetting things, but it all still felt superfluous to me.

I'll admit that, having watched the Shining and It miniseries, I went into this expecting a pretty straightforward adaptation of the book so that bias may be what's turning me off.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Didn't read the books and so far the show is fantastic. Some of the dialogue is little on the nose in that very Stephen King mini-series way but otherwise it's very impressive considering what the last King adaption was. Under the Dome never forget. :911:

I think we might as well assume at this point that Franco has it in his contract that if he isn't directing then he's eating some loving pie on screen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"You come from the future when?"
"20156"

Did they not know when the show would be airing or something?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
E: or are you saying they dubbed it? I didn't notice.

Obviously, Jake's gonna meet Sadie in Maine after a reset.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 29, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
James Franco mouths 15 but says 16.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

im done with this loving show

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Cojawfee posted:

The past is pushing back :tinfoil:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This is a good show.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
All around I thought this was a good episode but there were a couple things I didn't like. I liked Jake blowing up at the racist gas station attendant, another good juxtaposition of viewing 60's culture as a man from 2016. Initially I didn't think I was going to like Bill tagging along, but I gotta admit it must be nice to have a partner in all this to help monitor the mics and stuff, even if he has been more of a fuckup than an asset so far. He's kind of endearing so I don't mind him so far.

I wasn't crazy about how forced the high school dance conflict seemed to be. First the faculty twists his arm to get him to chaperon the dance despite insisting that he couldn't, and then everyone is furious when he has to leave unexpectedly. Is it that hard to believe that a grown man might have some affairs to attend to that are none of his coworkers business, even in 1960 in Texas?! (if that makes any sort of difference..) Even Mimi was upset with him and he'd just stood up for her 2-3 scenes earlier.

I guess since he 'got the girl' anyways it doesn't really matter, but I can't say I'm overly excited about watching Jake balance his pretend substitute teacher + new relationship responsibilities with preventing an assassination attempt; I hope things don't go that direction entirely.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I like that now he has a partner to tag along instead of muttering to himself and sulking about.
Oswald at the airport was better than in the book, and meeting Jack Ruby plays with the theme of the past synchronizing itself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As soon as they were in a seedy club I knew we were probably going to meet Jack Ruby. "Shady club owner" is like the #1 thing the average person would probably know about Ruby.

It seems like at this point resetting is going to be a really tough decision, and something particularly bad probably has to happen to force him into it. Like, somehow saving the janitor's family makes it impossible to save Kennedy, something like that. Or maybe his substitute teacher girlfriend gets killed in one of those accidents caused by time being pissed.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

timp posted:

All around I thought this was a good episode but there were a couple things I didn't like. I liked Jake blowing up at the racist gas station attendant, another good juxtaposition of viewing 60's culture as a man from 2016. Initially I didn't think I was going to like Bill tagging along, but I gotta admit it must be nice to have a partner in all this to help monitor the mics and stuff, even if he has been more of a fuckup than an asset so far. He's kind of endearing so I don't mind him so far.

I wasn't crazy about how forced the high school dance conflict seemed to be. First the faculty twists his arm to get him to chaperon the dance despite insisting that he couldn't, and then everyone is furious when he has to leave unexpectedly. Is it that hard to believe that a grown man might have some affairs to attend to that are none of his coworkers business, even in 1960 in Texas?! (if that makes any sort of difference..) Even Mimi was upset with him and he'd just stood up for her 2-3 scenes earlier.

I guess since he 'got the girl' anyways it doesn't really matter, but I can't say I'm overly excited about watching Jake balance his pretend substitute teacher + new relationship responsibilities with preventing an assassination attempt; I hope things don't go that direction entirely.

Yeah I thought Ms. Mimi was gonna have his back but no. WTF Ms. Mimi! Thats the last time he's gonna get you gas now

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Karmine posted:

I didn't view the episode as a matter of Jake wrapping his mind around killing someone. Through that lens it makes a lot more sense but I still can't shake the idea that the main point of this episode was to give Josh Duhamel as much screen time as possible.
It seems like maybe we were supposed to see it as him coming to terms with having to kill, but it really didn't come across that way.

timp posted:

I wasn't crazy about how forced the high school dance conflict seemed to be. First the faculty twists his arm to get him to chaperon the dance despite insisting that he couldn't, and then everyone is furious when he has to leave unexpectedly. Is it that hard to believe that a grown man might have some affairs to attend to that are none of his coworkers business, even in 1960 in Texas?!
Also, he's got simple excuse he could use, he needed to go check on his "brother". Say he's got a medical condition or something and that's why he couldn't get back, turned out his brother needed him.

Basebf555 posted:

It seems like at this point resetting is going to be a really tough decision, and something particularly bad probably has to happen to force him into it. Like, somehow saving the janitor's family makes it impossible to save Kennedy, something like that. Or maybe his substitute teacher girlfriend gets killed in one of those accidents caused by time being pissed.
Except... the more stuff goes wrong, the more reason he has to trigger a do-over. And yeah, time he spends in the past is time he can't get back, but if he's successful then he changes the whole world anyway. The 2016 he returns to if he prevents Kennedy's death is not the same one he left. He actually has more to lose by succeeding than by failing. To be honest, if he can commit to spending three years in the past, it's not a huge leap to justify going back and trying again. And each reset makes the next reset look more reasonable, too.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't Sadie unusually forward with Jake, especially as a woman growing up in the 50s, and she being a recent divorcee?

Spoilers from the book: Of course, if they kept the book version of events, it makes sense for Sadie to want to "experience life", but it's still fast.

Also, if you want to learn about what evidence the Warren Commission had on LHO being the attempted assasin of Walker, here's the relevant chapter from their report:

https://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/warren-commission-report/chapter-4.html#prior

The incident at the end of this episode seems to be completely fabricated - I've never read about something like that.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Basebf555 posted:

As soon as they were in a seedy club I knew we were probably going to meet Jack Ruby. "Shady club owner" is like the #1 thing the average person would probably know about Ruby.

Anyone else kind of shocked when he said he met her in Dallas 2 years ago? He's already been there that long? I don't think he's ever going to start over now.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

My speculation is that Sadie is also a time traveller, somehow.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

My speculation is that Sadie is also a time traveller, somehow.

This is what we were all thinking about last night. My friends and I thought this might be a possibility.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Fast Luck posted:

Anyone else kind of shocked when he said he met her in Dallas 2 years ago? He's already been there that long? I don't think he's ever going to start over now.

Did you notice the signs during the school hallway scene?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

What did they say?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

They were indicating passage of time via various school dances.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

In the book he's already gone back a bunch by now. Hasn't the Yellow Card Man turned Orange and then Black Dead by now? I think he had already found out about the janitor being killed in Vietnam too.

I'm interested to see where they take this. I like the character more and the team-up was a smart move.

The past pushing back is done really well too. It's always present and much more obvious than car trouble or bridges being washed out.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 1, 2016

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It wouldn't make sense thematically if he didn't reset at least once.

In the pilot they showed that his impetus for deciding to go back was the janitor receiving his diploma, but still not being able to get a promotion.

So there's this big, unresolved thing hanging over everything: What happened to the janitor? Is he okay now?

So yeah, more time travel.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

brylcreem posted:

It wouldn't make sense thematically if he didn't reset at least once.

In the pilot they showed that his impetus for deciding to go back was the janitor receiving his diploma, but still not being able to get a promotion.

So there's this big, unresolved thing hanging over everything: What happened to the janitor? Is he okay now?

So yeah, more time travel.

I'm starting to get worried (Book spoilers and conjecture about end of show) that they're reserving the reset for the very end. You know they're going to use Chekov's Reset once since it was mentioned, but in the book he's reset at least twice at this point. Though based on the preview Sadie's husband comes back next episode so perhaps they'll use it after he attacks her - I just find it odd they're already doing the character build up with him and Sadie with no reset done yet.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Karmine posted:

It's too bad they haven't used the reset thing to really show how much wrapping his mind around killing someone changed how he works. Book spoilers, just in case.

The first time he kills Frank, he waits until he's actually in the act, which leads to Ellen dying and Jake nearly being killed until Bill shows up, stabs Frank, and has a big ol' heart attack. The second time, he just waits until he knows Frank will be alone at his parents' graves, and just shoots him and hides the body. And sends a letter to Bill to tell him to get his heart checked out.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

At this point I really doubt he's going to reset. He's already been in the past for two years (I wish they had showed Bill change a bit more than being an open-shirt layabout still) and doing a reset now would be a real PITA when the end goal is closer than if he went back.

I honestly can't tell if you guys didn't notice the signs in the hallway going from 1960 to 1961 to 1962 (and then referencing several other instances of it being 1962 now) or if you're just trolling. So if you're trolling: Good job.

If you're not trolling: Then you also probably didn't notice that Sadie was the girl in the front seat of the pink convertible that made eye-contact with Jake when he first arrived in Maine in 1960.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Sadie being in Maine in 1960 is what makes me sure that he's going to reset at least once.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This series is 8 episodes long and we're already in 1962. I think maybe this next episode or the episode after, he'll have to reset and the rest of the series will be his actual run to save Kennedy.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Definitely didn't notice the signs when I watched it so I was kind of thrown for a loop when he first recognized Sadie. Wasn't that hard to put it together tho since it was the exact same scene I think where they push the dance responsibilities on Jake. There's no way the principal forces a newly hired librarian and substitute teacher into chaperoning the dance just because he kind of liked Jake in their interview. So I chalked it up to my missing something and moved on.

I do wish they had done more than just skip ahead 2 years though since his relationship to most people doesn't seem to have changed much. Rafael is still a fucktard, Ms Mimi is still not to be trifled with, and his sidekick seemingly hasn't learned a drat thing.

I read the book when it was first released but don't remember much of it, not even whether or not Jake truly succeeds or if big bad time got the best of him. I like the show so far but I think they could do a bit better showing/explaining certain things. They had to know that by now their audience would wonder about resets for example and why he hasn't done one. Easy way to ditch bookie and save the cash doesn't this come back to haunt him in the book?, easy way to ditch Bill without hurting his feelings, more opportunity to show the yellow card guy and his significance. I wonder if they're hoping we'll have forgotten his trump card for when he finally does use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea he's close enough to the date of the assassination now that he has to reset at least once just because we have 5 episodes left. I wonder if maybe he saves Kennedy, but that somehow makes the future even shittier, or if he stops Oswald but Time says gently caress you and Kennedy gets killed some other way a week later.

• Locked thread