Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

Has there been any talk of whether this will just be a single season? It seems that Kennedy either being shot or saved would be a pretty definitive ending.

Since he can always reset, Kennedy being saved or not doesn't really make for a definitive ending. He can always go back and try again, or maybe even if he succeeds in saving Kennedy it's not the cure-all that he expects it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Karmine posted:

Eight episode miniseries.

And thank god for that, the last thing we need is another King book that would make a good miniseries getting stretched out and milked dry

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What if saving Kennedy is why the Dome came down

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I think a thing that would have helped the time-passing hallway sequence would have been the inclusion of some music to signify the passing of time. Maybe a song that was popular from each year fading in and out as the years passed?

But, you know... licensing.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I've seen those demographic maps of US cities and have of course heard about how divided Chicago, Atlanta, etc. still are. The gas station scene really got me thinking about how those towns couldn't have changed overnight, but also couldn't possibly still be divided so formally. What happened to towns and cities that had a "Niggertown" in the 50 years since?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Frosted Flake posted:

I've seen those demographic maps of US cities and have of course heard about how divided Chicago, Atlanta, etc. still are. The gas station scene really got me thinking about how those towns couldn't have changed overnight, but also couldn't possibly still be divided so formally. What happened to towns and cities that had a "Niggertown" in the 50 years since?

Not much. There are still places that are mostly white and places that are mostly black.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Berzerker posted:

yeah you're right it was pretty hidden and subtle my apologies lol

I somehow missed this too. :confused:

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

ExtraNoise posted:

I think a thing that would have helped the time-passing hallway sequence would have been the inclusion of some music to signify the passing of time. Maybe a song that was popular from each year fading in and out as the years passed?

But, you know... licensing.

They should have had the school banners with the years on them hit Jake in the face. If someone watching can miss out on a MASH reference how are they going to go "Ah, Patsy Cline's Fall to Pieces this must mean 1961 went by."

The only thing I didn't like about the show so far was the big spooky room of bugs.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Xoidanor posted:

I somehow missed this too. :confused:
I'm not sure if I missed the title card or just didn't process it. Either way it's our fault for being bad viewers except except that they sure did fast-forward through two years in a few seconds which pacing-wise is a bit odd.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I think it's funny that the time jump we're discussing in a time travel series is the 1960-1962 one of all things. :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Zwille posted:

I think it's funny that the time jump we're discussing in a time travel series is the 1960-1962 one of all things. :v:

I think a lot of us (especially those that have read the book) were shocked that they did a time jump, and didn't spend a lot more time in the early years.

I guess to make it more obvious they could have had Franco turn to the camera as he was talking to Billy and said "Can you believe we've been here 2 years already?" then just stared at the camera for a few minutes with the Franco Smile.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Medullah posted:

I think a lot of us (especially those that have read the book) were shocked that they did a time jump, and didn't spend a lot more time in the early years.

I guess to make it more obvious they could have had Franco turn to the camera as he was talking to Billy and said "Can you believe we've been here 2 years already?" then just stared at the camera for a few minutes with the Franco Smile.
They basically did that with "I've met you Sadie, remember two years ago?" Which I definitely didn't miss, but which did shock me because yeah I read the book and I remember him having to live through all that time. I guess after skipping two years just like that, they'll just really slow things down for the last 5 episodes.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Frosted Flake posted:

In one case, the whites bought a 4 foot strip of land across the whole town to stop roads from connecting out of "Niggertown"

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

Medullah posted:

This literally happened when Franco turned to Billy and said "we could have spent the last 2 years learning Russian". Everyone seems to complain about book-to-TV being dumbed down and significantly altered.

I don't think any adaptations can be dumbed down enough for regular TV audiences.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fast Luck posted:

they sure did fast-forward through two years in a few seconds which pacing-wise is a bit odd.
It's a pretty neat way to remind you that high school exists in a weird little bubble of time. Same hallways, likely a pretty set routine. The only thing that changes are the kids that make up the background every now and then, and maybe the flyers on the walls.

Dude did one thing in the 'lay low and don't draw attention' and that was to get a job in a school. (assuming his class assignments aren't all 'What is Shakespeare saying about RACISM in Othello?' or other such things. Even then, it seems like the Principal has his back).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Billmac posted:

This literally happened when Franco turned to Billy and said "we could have spent the last 2 years learning Russian". Everyone seems to complain about book-to-TV being dumbed down and significantly altered.

I don't think any adaptations can be dumbed down enough for regular TV audiences.

I would have preferred a montage.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Frosted Flake posted:

These kinda things still happen via gentrification and other ways. The biggest, most recent case I can think of is the mostly white suburban Grosse Pointe Park, MI blocking off one of the major arteries between it and Detroit as a "beautification" effort.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

yeah you're right it was pretty hidden and subtle my apologies lol

Yeah, and all it takes is turning your head for a second to miss that, and regardless, it still feels like Jake and Billy have still only been in Dallas for a short period of time no matter how many times they throw a date on the screen

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

savinhill posted:

it still feels like Jake and Billy have still only been in Dallas for a short period of time no matter how many times they throw a date on the screen
Hmm, yes. Perhaps the miniseries should have a TimeCounter on the bottom of the screen, running though each scene? A giant text box that's says JAKE HAS BEEN IN 196X FOR [TIME] - CURRENT DATE IS X,XX,196X.

Jesus loving Christ you people. Just say you weren't paying attention and were feeding your cat while cooking or someshit instead of blaming the series.

I'm somewhat surprised Racist Gas Ginger wasn't at the Klan rally they attended. Seemed like the perfect time for Jake to get confronted by him.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The entire gimmick of the book/show is that the dude has to spend 5/3 years living in the past leading up to the big day, you can't really get mad at people for being disappointed that they just handwaved a huge amount of that time.

Though if they had actually done an episode or two in 1961 or 1962 to show the passage of time then people would complain about there being filler, so :shrug:

Either way it would be a lot better if they just dumped the whole show at once.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Hmm, yes. Perhaps the miniseries should have a TimeCounter on the bottom of the screen, running though each scene? A giant text box that's says JAKE HAS BEEN IN 196X FOR [TIME] - CURRENT DATE IS X,XX,196X.

Jesus loving Christ you people. Just say you weren't paying attention and were feeding your cat while cooking or someshit instead of blaming the series.

I'm somewhat surprised Racist Gas Ginger wasn't at the Klan rally they attended. Seemed like the perfect time for Jake to get confronted by him.

Lol, goons getting turbo-nerd mad cuz they think other people don't watch TV stories correctly will never not be funny

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

IDK if people are "turbo nerd mad" as much as you're saying you didn't look at the TV screen while the TV show is on and then you blame the TV show for being subtle or w/e dude

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I saw the title card but I still was very confused for a bit. All of a sudden it's 1962 and there's nothing to show for it? The differences after the title card are just too tiny. I think that's the point of this discussion, not whether or not people noticed it. I bet everyone noticed it at some point or other but was confused because what they're saying ("it's 1962 geddit!") and what they're showing (Jake's buddy still being kind of a dumbass for example) doesn't quite match up.

Whatever. It's still fun and much better than Under the Dome.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I am surprised that we have yet to see Jake encounter anything that sucks about the 60's (aside from the racism). He is having a great time with $5 cars and whatnot, but he has never expressed frustration for not having access to the Internet or other modern comforts he is now without.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Does the book ever answer questions about the portal (or has the show answered these and I missed them) like can more than one person go through and If so, what happens if one person stays and the other returns to present? Where did it come from?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
He's going to save Kennedy and return to 2016 to find humanity at war with a global network of superintelligent iPhones

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

Does the book ever answer questions about the portal (or has the show answered these and I missed them) like can more than one person go through and If so, what happens if one person stays and the other returns to present? Where did it come from?

Yeah, what if he goes into the portal and then someone walks in 30 seconds later. Does that erase the first person?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I don't think they ever get into those questions in the book. Stephen King is always less about the "rules" and science behind stuff than he is the effects of extraordinary situations on normal people.

Kinda like :lost:

(Oh yeah, I went there :smug: )

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

pahuyuth posted:

I'm pretty sure it was already quoted in this thread but at the beginning of the book Jake asks Al about what would happen if he caused a time paradox and Al answers "why the gently caress would you do that?" and that's the end of that. It does the Looper/Austin Powers thing where it acknowledges that time travel is completely bonkers if you try and think about it and then moves on.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, what if he goes into the portal and then someone walks in 30 seconds later. Does that erase the first person?

My assumption is that if you go in sometime within 4 minutes after someone else went in, you'll both appear simultaneously in 1960.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pahuyuth posted:

Where did it come from?
If it's anything like the rest of King's world, it's likely due to The Dark Tower's motivating influence.

Namely: poo poo is hosed on a multiversal scale, and while THIS dimension hasn't devolved into The Mist-like roaming monstrosities, the laws of reality are 'thin' at places and cause some weirdness to leak through.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

FilthyImp posted:

If it's anything like the rest of King's world, it's likely due to The Dark Tower's motivating influence.

Namely: poo poo is hosed on a multiversal scale, and while THIS dimension hasn't devolved into The Mist-like roaming monstrosities, the laws of reality are 'thin' at places and cause some weirdness to leak through.

Didn't he write himself into that series?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Yes, and its awesome. Don't hate.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ravane posted:

Didn't he write himself into that series?

hes the only author in the world who could pull it off and he does

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

scary ghost dog posted:

Haven't read the series, but if he actually pulled it off, I'm curious to read how. :)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

scary ghost dog posted:

Vonnegut does it in a much less bullshit manner in "Breakfast of Champions".

FilthyImp posted:

So basically someone spilled the blood of amber on the primal pattern in real Amber? Zelazny's self insert is also significantly less annoying.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ravane posted:

Haven't read the series, but if he actually pulled it off, I'm curious to read how. :)

he introduced continuity into his life by getting hit by a van and almost dying

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Jake pulling Marty McFlys all over this episode.

The last scene shouldn't be too hard to get out of, since he lives with Bill. Just say Bill likes listening to weird poo poo.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Halfway over and he hasn't reset.
It looks like he might get to the assassination on his first run through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The last episode will have him get really close to stopping the assassination but then fail at the last second. So he goes back to Maine and resets. Jump cut back to the previous scene except this time he does it. Then James Franco looks into the camera and says "Are you happy now, nerds?"

Or for more serious, maybe he stops the assassination and comes back but it's all BTTF II and Donald Trump is president so he goes back into the closet to reset everything and then steps back out.

• Locked thread