Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Buy Kamiya an account so he can practice English here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Proud Rat Mom posted:

the bosses and secrets are good though.

Yeah I wish there were more bosses actually. It's weird how back-loaded they are

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

yeah i never took that passive off lol. what difficulty are you playing on? it felt pretty necessary on higher levels to rely on the invincibility from the glory kills

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

There's a part in this game where you have a 5 minute walk and talk with a robot who slowly drones on about the story and then he says "go through this elevator and shoot some stuff until you get a rune" it's like no poo poo man I've been doing that for the last 6 hours.

The robot office part and not being able to pull his brains out of his head is the worst part of the game by far. Cool boss fight shortly after, though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

hard to believe the greatest game of all time bioshock infinite is already 4 years oldd

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Magius1337est posted:

are there any games out there for parties of like more than 5? most games are like variations of 5 on 5 or less, anything out there for parties of like 6 to 8 to 10?

https://mobile.twitter.com/PaladinsGame/status/948946547127083008

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

What's In A Name: Gearbox Software [update]

If you looked at the Joystiq calendar, you would have seen a bright red circle drawn around today with something like 17 little smiley faces around it. Sure, that was in part because it's taco salad day in the cafeteria, but also because we couldn't wait to share this new What's in a Name with you. 

So, straight from boss Randy Pitchford, check out the totally epic story of how [Randy says] Gearbox Software got its name.

"This is interesting because I've never been asked about how we got the name 'Gearbox' before, but there is a bit of a story to it. Given everything that's happened over the past 10 years or so, the story seems a little hard to believe now that I'm telling it!

"The story begins when, and don't ask me what led to this, Gabe Newell and I were in New Orleans together and we decided to get on one of those river boats to cross the river. As chance would go, it turns out we accidentally got on a cruise boat instead of a crossing ferry. But, we made the best of it. The food was pretty good and there were gambling tables there with dealers and other players and so we got into a little poker game. It was like Maverick or something – playing poker on a river boat near New Orleans. But we were playing poker, which, as you know, is a form of gambling. Can you see where this is going?

"People that know me well know that I love playing poker. It's a great game about making decisions with incomplete information, but where the decisions affect the outcome. So it's a lot of fun and it's really helpful in learning how to separate the challenge of making best decisions from the reality of results since even the worst decisions can be rewarded and the best decisions can be punished when non-deterministic and/or unpredictable factors are involved. So I like to play poker whenever I have a good opportunity. But from the experience I had with him, I don't think Gabe had played a lot of poker before that night.

"Anyway – while we were playing we were discussing what we should name our respective video game development companies that we were starting up. After some crazy and dumb ideas made their rounds, we started realizing that something cool for a video game studio would have something to do with engines and machinery. We started going through the parts we could think of to come up with the BEST name along those lines and a few good ones were passed on before we agreed that the best and almost perfect name for a video game development studio along those lines was "Gearbox" – it's sticky and simple and gears are cool things that have both an art and a precision to them and it's generally a nice, short but really cool word.

"The more we thought about it, the more sure we were. But since we both sort of came up with it together through the talking and thinking we were doing together, it wasn't clear which of us could claim it to use. So we decided that the poker game would help us work out which of us would be able to claim the rights to the name – whomever knocked the other player out of the poker game or ended up with the biggest stack would win the Gearbox name for their studio.

"I quickly called my partners back home that I was doing the start up with and told them about the Gearbox name and the gambling I was involved in that was going to decide who got the name and, after they put me on hold for a few minutes, they came back and said that I had better win that name or I shouldn't even bother coming home. So the stakes were then really raised for me, so to speak – I had to win the poker game or it was all going to be over for our studio.

"The game lasted for a while with the usual ups and downs. Even though I was a far better player, before our wager started Gabe had come to the table with a HUGE stack and I bought in for almost nothing. I was able to build a nice sized stack, though, and kept taking chips from other players at the table until my stack was actually a bit bigger than his for most of the night. I just needed to stay up and wait for my opportunity.

"After about four or five hours of play, that opportunity came and the showdown finally happened. The funny thing is that the hand that decided it wasn't that significant of a hand as far as Hold 'em Poker goes. It wasn't one of those Royal-Flush-Over-Quad-Aces kinds of hands that you see in the movies. I still remember the hand, though I'm sure Gabe wouldn't remember. The hand was top pair over middle pair. I was playing AK suited and he was playing K9 off suit (a hand known as "Saw Mill"). Obviously I tried to build a bit a of a pot pre-flop and got a lot of callers before it was Gabe's turn to act and astonishingly he came over the top with a massive over-bet. His action isolated us down to just the two of us in the hand, which gave me a HUGE advantage in this situation (I mentioned that Gabe hadn't played a lot of poker, right?). Anyway, the board came K-8-2 mixed suits and we were both pot committed so, of course, the money went in.

"The next two cards were blanks, which is what the expected results were when I got the money in. I had him covered, so that knocked him out of the game! I did it! By knocking him out, I won a lot of chips, but more importantly I won the wager and with it I won the name 'Gearbox.' We got to keep the whole, big awesome Gearbox and Gabe had to settle for just being the Valve.

"No hard feelings, though. We still worked together later when Gearbox did Half-Life Opposing Force and Half-Life Blue Shift and and Half-Lifefor Dreamcast and Half-Life for PlayStation 2 (a lot of Half-Life stuff between Valve's first and second Half-Life game). I guess Valve didn't want to spend any of their own time on add-ons or bringing games to the PlayStation. But I think that stuff was fun to do and made our customers really happy and made some money to help us build our studio and made them some money to help them fund the continued development of Half-Life 2, so that was a win for everyone. But getting the Gearbox name – well, that was only a win for us. Gearbox Software is ours. Watch this: Gearbox Software®. See that little ® symbol? That means Gearbox Software® is registered with the US trademark office as belonging to us ;)

"And, if you can believe it, that's the story of how Gearbox Software® got its name!"

– Randy Pitchford, CEO and co-founder, Gearbox Software®

See, what'd we tell you? Epic, right? We'll be back next week with another entry in the series, but we're not sure we'll be able to top Gearbox anytime soon. Here's hoping.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Update: Valve has informed us that Randy and Gabe didn't meet until after Valve had shipped Half-Life, making Randy's story seem ... well, unlikely. We're trying to find out what happened right now.

Update 2:Well, we just heard from PR and they confirmed that the story is a fabrication. Pitchford is apparently going to get in contact to explain what happened. We can't wait to find out his excuse for taking advantage of our Pollyanna-esque faith in the inherent goodness of people, and, by extension, telling tall tales to you, the people who are buying his games.

forgot about this, lmfao

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

elf help book posted:

*On page 4 of the latest Indie Treasure thread* Bob's my homie, but...

lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lmao

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

One of the actual Humble Bundles this week includes Shadow Tactics for $12. I haven't played it but a bunch of other imps say it's really good.

The imp who has been honing his power by exclusively posting long reviews of stealth games in the stealth games thread for like an entire year now says it's good so that's basically the word of god for me.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

i trust that man with my life

He's awesome and the best part is that if you didn't read the stealth games thread..... u would never know he existed :ninja:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mekchu posted:

It's awesome. If you have Twitch Prime it was free a few weeks/one or two months ago.

Has anyone picked up Vampyr?

I want to support DONTNOD and the game almost comes off like a less insane version of Pathologic which is pretty cool, but the combat looks really really bad so I'm gonna wait for some more impressions

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Bob’s new streaming setup looks great

Lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

i'm going to get king of dragon pass. maybe super hydorah and shadowhand. possibley something else?

Kodp ftw

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I do my online banking and pay all my bills on the PS4 web browser

:hai: Thank you

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

my favorite parts of sotn, order of ecclasia, super metroid, metroid zero mission, cave story, etc were the parts where every level are the same procgen hallway with a part that goes up or down and at the up/down part theres a dead end where you have to use Item thats unlocked through Runs

It looks really good especially the danmaku elements

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You're going to bring yourself?

Lmao. Walked into that classic Adelaide zinger

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I'm glad these tables are being preserved digitally in some form and think it's important but I wish Farsight just had their poo poo together better because their engine is really solid and their port jobs were great

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheAtlasOne/status/1070455489765535745

lmao

edit: oh it wasn't just one guy. anyone who submitted a support ticket got the ability to view other people's, respond to them, close them, etc

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PC gaming FTW

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

does this have something to do with the "gamer gate" thing I heard about? I don't get it, please explain

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wormstream when?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ArfJason posted:

just when i wanted to play csgo we get a 700000 gb patch that makes the game free to play so every malaysian hacker can queue up with me and we also get the priviledge of playing a game that is somehow worse than pubg. if they could figure out how to make it so the patch downloads a revolver with a single bullet into your irl hand it'd be perfect

Lol. I think free to play players are in a separate matchmaking queue or something for what it's worth

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VibM9vCguc

John Romero made a new DOOM episode, coming February . this actually looks pretty ftw

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

As a stats goon, the graph tells me that people play Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links just as much on weekdays, as they do on the weekend.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

https://twitter.com/dickwhitehouse/status/1077227171482021889?s=21

This is ftw

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

I think something is loose inside my case bc my pc sounds like helicopter spinning up even when I'm just watching a video

Pc gaming ftw

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm getting a gaming PC next week lol but there's nothing I really want to play on it except indie treasures and ascii roguelikes . Maybe i'll try and get into map games

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I've actually enjoyed Hearts of Iron IV FWIW, even without the Supernintendo Hitler mod.

I'm pretty stupid so I don't know if they're for me but I'm really curious about that and crusader kings and poo poo. I haven't had a computer for about 10 years and even then it was like a 2007 macbook that i played FTL on

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Total war warhammer is real good

Oh yeah that seems cool as hell . I never wanted to actually suffer through playing warhammer but always thought the setting seemed really bad rear end

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Got my Razer Blackwidow Ultimate gaming keyboard today ...... pc gaming hype

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

swimsuit posted:

post your led set up, op

Don't have the rest of the computer to plug it into yet so i've just been sitting in bed clacking it around in my lap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I got the computer . What's good to play on this thing . There's some rogue likes like cogmind and caves of qud i'm interested in but I don't really know what else