Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I seriously wasnt expecting this to wrap up so nicely

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Kaiji is so drat good

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
The chapter title is right, it was a Clever Move

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019
Probation
I miss this manga being about gambling

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

I went through all of Gin to Kin recently and was amazed mostly at a FKMT with actual pacing and arcs that don't last hundreds of chapters. It has its own quirks but I honestly enjoyed it a lot more than Kaiji/Akagi/Zero.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

archduke.iago posted:

I went through all of Gin to Kin recently and was amazed mostly at a FKMT with actual pacing and arcs that don't last hundreds of chapters. It has its own quirks but I honestly enjoyed it a lot more than Kaiji/Akagi/Zero.

Check out Buraiden Gai as well, that's another good short fkmt

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Zero was fun but we're never getting a part 3 are we :(

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I believe some day...

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn

ChaseSP posted:

Kaiji is so drat good

After reading the most recent chapter I can confirm this is still true. I haven't laughed this hard in forever, and the events leading up to what just happened were perfect in every possible way.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Eight-Six posted:

Zero was fun but we're never getting a part 3 are we :(

dont remind me...

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/pineapplypus/status/1354696256090726407?s=20

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Feast of Burden posted:

After reading the most recent chapter I can confirm this is still true. I haven't laughed this hard in forever, and the events leading up to what just happened were perfect in every possible way.

Yeah, I wasn't sure at all where this latest arc was going, and I definitely didn't foresee the turn it made but honestly it was still a fun trip.

This was exactly what I was thinking when reading up on the news about that stuff.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019
Probation
Kurata is an extremely good foil by being the one man as galaxy brained as Kaiji

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Just found out about FKMT and am hooked on Kaiji and Akagi. I know there's a lot still to go and it'll probably get explained at least a little But in ch.15 or so Kaiji starts acting like a pretty confident gambler but I didn't get the impression that he had much experience prior to hopping on the Espoir.

In any case it rules. I'm trying to learn some basic mahjong stuff before I get too deep into Akagi but I really like how FKMT ratchets up the tension. Even if it's all carefully crafted and our protagonists usually come out on top it still Kris be turning the page.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

apophenium posted:

Just found out about FKMT and am hooked on Kaiji and Akagi. I know there's a lot still to go and it'll probably get explained at least a little But in ch.15 or so Kaiji starts acting like a pretty confident gambler but I didn't get the impression that he had much experience prior to hopping on the Espoir.

Kaiji played and lost at Pachinko and stuff. He has gambled, but he is not a super gambler like Akagi. (However Kaiji is great at surviving.)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Kaiji is very smart but he's also very, very dumb

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CodfishCartographer posted:

Kaiji is very smart but he's also very, very dumb

He can only make good decisions under severe duress. Next time he goes on a job interview he should balance a vat of acid on his head beforehand

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

He can only make good decisions under severe duress. Next time he goes on a job interview he should balance a vat of acid on his head beforehand

Kaiji's a capable man, if somebody's there to shoot him every minute of his life

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Dolly is epic.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I've been catching up and got to 500th chapter of Kaiji and the big showcase of veteran artists congratulating Fukumoto was really wholesome. He really is the mangaka's mangaka.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

VERY cute kaiji

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I love this manga.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Oh my god the end of chapter 51... I can't believe it. Kaiji...

This manga fuckin rules. Honestly surprised how good it is and I really hope Kaiji can get out of this. He needs a win. His brain is too big to constantly get punked by slime balls.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
HOLY poo poo

e. Phew, that's Act 1 down. I think I'm gonna take a breather and read one of the mahjong series. Should I start with Akagi or Ten? Ten was published first but Akagi is a prequel series, right?

apophenium fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 27, 2021

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
You can start with either; Akagi is the only character in both.

I love Ten but I think it might be easier to start with Akagi, since Ten has a weak beginning.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

apophenium posted:

HOLY poo poo

e. Phew, that's Act 1 down. I think I'm gonna take a breather and read one of the mahjong series. Should I start with Akagi or Ten? Ten was published first but Akagi is a prequel series, right?
Yes. The last third of Ten is really good either way even if you dont like the rest of it. The actual releases of ten and akagi overlapped though, fukumoto kind of dips in and out of his series.

You can read gambling emperor zero as well it's just wall to wall death games.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ten is a phenomenal manga and well worth the read but finishing Akagi is an epic achievement similar to summiting Mt. Everest.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Ten is a phenomenal manga and well worth the read but finishing Akagi is an epic achievement similar to summiting Mt. Everest.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drat i havent posted here in two years but i'm still following kaijis tense as gently caress escape and attempt of staying hidden from teiai atm...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Plutonis posted:

drat i havent posted here in two years but i'm still following kaijis tense as gently caress escape and attempt of staying hidden from teiai atm...

I hope he and his friends get away safely but I also hope it never ends

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Time dilation in Kaiji is so real. What year do you think it even is in Kaiji anymore? Does FKMT even know what year it is in Kaiji anymore? AFAIK "season 3" (minefield mahjongg) and "season 4" (one poker) of the manga took place on the same night which is completely insane.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pewdiepie posted:

Time dilation in Kaiji is so real. What year do you think it even is in Kaiji anymore? Does FKMT even know what year it is in Kaiji anymore? AFAIK "season 3" (minefield mahjongg) and "season 4" (one poker) of the manga took place on the same night which is completely insane.

And the running away arc is over the course of what, 1-2 weeks? Less? lmao

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

And the running away arc is over the course of what, 1-2 weeks? Less? lmao

Seems about right I was feeling it couldn't be any longer than 1 month.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

The series is set in 1980 but the Tonegawa prequel has episodes about Teiai having a corporate twitter account

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Plutonis posted:

The series is set in 1980 but the Tonegawa prequel has episodes about Teiai having a corporate twitter account

I'll begrudge that to Middle Manager Blues Tonegawa because it's a non-canon joke series. THe anime was loving awesome.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Why is finishing Akagi such a feat? Just super long?

Akagi is already proving to be an interesting counterpoint to Kaiji. Where Kaiji believes in the goodness of other people Akagi (at least by ch17) is basically a sociopath who gambles for the thrill.

Anyways, Fukumoto is good as hell and I'm glad I randomly clicked on this thread.

apophenium fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 28, 2021

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
People in this world got flip phones so at this point it's likely the mid 90s.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

apophenium posted:

Why is finishing Akagi such a feat? Just super long.

Akagi is already proving to be an interesting counterpoint to Kaiji. Where Kaiji believes in the goodness of other people Akagi (at least by ch17) is basically a sociopath who gambles for the thrill.

Anyways, Fukumoto is good as hell and I'm glad I randomly clicked on this thread.

You'll see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRamB30E9mU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pewdiepie posted:

I'll begrudge that to Middle Manager Blues Tonegawa because it's a non-canon joke series. THe anime was loving awesome.

Tonegawa is 100% canon and he finished the big bowl of cutlets :colbert: