Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Latest update

What is this game?

- The last thing to happen to the Rayman IP before it being murdered by rabbids;
- Ironically, the thing that paved the way for rabbids by taking a "hip" direction instead of being a fairytale like the first two games;
- The second 3d Rayman game;
- The only Rayman game that has actual voice acting on all platforms;
- The lowest point in Billy West's career;
- The game that was criticized for its overall direction because of the times when its humor goes out of control;
- A drat fine platformer that has aged exceptionally well.

Where do I get it?

Here: http://www.gog.com/game/rayman_3_hoodlum_havoc
Jumping through hoops may be required to run it, especially on laptops.

What is this LP?
- An LP;
- The game has a scoring system, and there are ways to abuse it to get the high score... this LP doesn't do that, I will do the scoring off-camera with the sole purpose of unlocking the extras to show off;
- Some parts of the game have a massive (and I do mean MASSIVE) amount of dialogue and no subtitles, I do my best to not talk over it, but sometimes there's just no way around it. Where this happens, I subtitle whatever dialogue I happen to drown in my own speech;
- I do intend to show off all the relevant secrets; "relevant" meaning everything of interest, but I won't fret over missing a single matuvu (the blue lizard thingies that give you points);
- I do somehow manage to occasionally spout trivia about the French and Russian versions of the game or the origins of some concepts or how something compares to Rayman 2 or whatever else.

By the way, Rayman 2 is also available on GOG and I strongly suggest that you play it, it's great. It has also been LPd by Tentril and SirShakes.

Spoilers
The game is 13 years old and the story isn't Legacy of Kain. Still, I won't be surprised if someone is only familiar with Origins and Legends, so "keep 'em tagged" is the rule. All other games (including the other Rayman games or Beyond Good and Evil or whatever else could come up) are fair game. EDIT: Okay, seems like not everyone even knew this game existed. Definitely keep 'em tagged :v:

Videos

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Huh. I had no idea there was a Rayman 3. Probably a good thing too since I have pretty fond memories of 2 and this looks it'd retroactively destroy them.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Huh. I had no idea there was a Rayman 3. Probably a good thing too since I have pretty fond memories of 2 and this looks it'd retroactively destroy them.

Not necessarily. Unlike rabbids, the game somehow manages to not crap over everything accomplished by Rayman 2, despite being drastically different. Or at least that's how I felt when I played it for the first time (and I think that Rayman 2 is the single greatest game I've ever played). And all the subsequent times. And when I replayed Rayman 2 a few years back.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
I actually really, really liked Rayman 3. It has a surreal art style and strange sense of humor.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Yeah, Rayman 3 takes a little bit to settle into itself properly, but when it does it really does shine. It's a very different game from Rayman 2, but it's a fantastic game on its own merits with a lot of character to it.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
What systems did Rayman 3 actually release on, besides PC? The first Rayman game I actually recall playing is Legends, so... I don't know much about the series.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

KieranWalker posted:

What systems did Rayman 3 actually release on, besides PC? The first Rayman game I actually recall playing is Legends, so... I don't know much about the series.

GameCube, XBox, PS2. There were also different versions for a bunch of mobile platforms

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The game picks up now. I also screw grammar up

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Man, the sound effects in this game is bring back all sorts of memories from playing it.

... I loved the weird rear end level transition surfboarding too. :allears:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I remember playing the HD version on the PS3, that was good times.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

"because of the times when it the ambient level of inapropriateness clearly goes out of control"

Also can I ask what this means because I read it four times and I don't understand. Not trying to be rude I just actually can't understand it.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

GamesAreSupernice posted:

"because of the times when it the ambient level of inapropriateness clearly goes out of control"

Also can I ask what this means because I read it four times and I don't understand. Not trying to be rude I just actually can't understand it.

Mostly the occasional out of place innuendos

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Alexeythegreat posted:

- The last thing to happen to the Rayman IP before it being murdered by rabbids;

Origins/Legends brought it back better than ever. :colbert:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I liked To The Moon. That was the name of the non-party-game one right?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

It was a Katamari ripoff,if I recall correctly.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Rabbids Go Home in the UK, and yeah, it was a Katamari-esque game, with added mayhem making. It was reasonably good, but nothing to really dig out if you never played it.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It's a kid-friendly game.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The line was "I need to go crochet a doily."

Though yeah, the way the line fades out, he could just as easily have said "toilet."

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

KieranWalker posted:

The line was "I need to go crochet a doily."

Though yeah, the way the line fades out, he could just as easily have said "toilet."

Ah, well, that solves the mystery. I didn't know the word "doily"

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

That's adorable man.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Also Rayman 3 was Rated E.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Say what you want, but these boss fights are absolutely amazing. This is the first one.
Title unrelated.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking I might want to pick up Rayman 3 at some point. It definitely seems like my kind of game (I really gravitate toward late 90s/early 00s style 3D platformers), and I'm disappointed that I never really noticed it back in the day.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I'm back from hibernation

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

KieranWalker posted:

I'm thinking I might want to pick up Rayman 3 at some point. It definitely seems like my kind of game (I really gravitate toward late 90s/early 00s style 3D platformers), and I'm disappointed that I never really noticed it back in the day.

Despite how obnoxious some of the writing can be, it's definitely a very solid, enjoyable late 90s/early 00s platformer, though it's pretty easy, from what I remember. It's a game me and my brother played pretty much endlessly as one of the better dumb games that we owned, so you'd probably enjoy it, if you're into that kind of thing.

Playing it so much as a dumb kid is why I'm really enjoying this LP, though, it's just such a blast from the past.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GirlCalledBob posted:

Despite how obnoxious some of the writing can be, it's definitely a very solid, enjoyable late 90s/early 00s platformer, though it's pretty easy, from what I remember. It's a game me and my brother played pretty much endlessly as one of the better dumb games that we owned, so you'd probably enjoy it, if you're into that kind of thing.

Playing it so much as a dumb kid is why I'm really enjoying this LP, though, it's just such a blast from the past.

I think the easy difficulty is why they implemented the scoring system, probably.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I'm back

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Buffalo Bill was an American bison hunter, soldier, and showman in the mid to late 1800s. It's one of those references the developers assume everybody playing the game will get, when the only people who're actually going to understand it are the American kids who actually paid attention in U.S. history class. Even a decade ago, that would've been going over a lot of heads.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

Buffalo Bill was an American bison hunter, soldier, and showman in the mid to late 1800s. It's one of those references the developers assume everybody playing the game will get, when the only people who're actually going to understand it are the American kids who actually paid attention in U.S. history class. Even a decade ago, that would've been going over a lot of heads.

Those are the best kinds of references.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

This is the only Rayman game I've ever played actually, and I haven't touched it since I was like eleven. I have fond memories but nothing to really compare it to.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Those are the best kinds of references.

I'd guess that this is a translation thing, since the main version of the game is French

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

KieranWalker posted:

Should be noted that "buffalo hunting" was essentially target practice and Cody boasted of just shooting them while riding in a train car. So it's basically the real life equivalent of hunting pandas in Bristol.

e: Also, Bullet Bills.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 14, 2016

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Should be noted that "buffalo hunting" was essentially target practice and Cody boasted of just shooting them while riding in a train car. So it's basically the real life equivalent of hunting pandas in Bristol.

Or hunting quail, I guess.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The Land of the Livid Dead here is so different from what it is in Rayman Origins that I was shocked the first time I saw what it is in Origins.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This game has aged spectacularly

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I'd just like to say that it's great to see a game I remember very fondly from back when I was a kid, it's got a really nice, unique art style and it's got this fairy-tale quality to it at times and maybe it's the nostalgia glasses but it brings a smile. So keep up the good work, and keep spreading the gospel! This game is really good!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was thinking I should pick up a copy of it at some point.

The game's got delightfully funky combat music, as an aside.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

There are later parts of this game I can't wait to see.

It's just too bad we won't get to see the pointless GBA link minigames. Like Rayman / Globox Tetris shoes.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I remember growing up with the original Rayman. Neither my brother nor I got past Band Land when we were kids. Heck I don't think we even got past Bongo Hills (the unusually long first level) back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I'm fairly certain that the original Rayman is the hardest of all Rayman games. The 3d ones are both hilariously easy, in fact.

• Locked thread