Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
The next level I remember freaking me out a lot when I was a kid. It's probably not anywhere near as creepy as I remember it being, though. If I'm even thinking of the right level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

GirlCalledBob posted:

The next level I remember freaking me out a lot when I was a kid. It's probably not anywhere near as creepy as I remember it being, though. If I'm even thinking of the right level.

You are correct about both your points

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
We're finally here. Whoever played the game as a kid will not forget this level. I attribute it mostly to it being a drastic change of pace (and the amazing boss fight at the end, although that won't happen until the next update)

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
It's the voice clips that always got to me as a kid. In particular 'Stick bamboo under his nails', which I can clearly remember being said with much, much more menace than is actually in the game.

The version of that voice clip that exists only in my head still makes me shudder, though. Does Rayman even have fingernails?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always found "Make him write bad checks" particularly funny. I think it was the dissonance with the other statements. There is also "Tear him limb from limb", which I find funny due to imagining their frustration when they try it and he just pops them back on again.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 2, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This bossfight is awesome

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Depth perception is difficult in videogames. That is perhaps the one thing which has improved, gameplay-wise, with the advent of fancier and fancier graphics.

Also, I think that one teensie in the ...Reflux video? He was saying he had to go potty train his anteater. No idea what the other one was saying about a cubicle, though.

Edit: I would think what's going through a voice actor's head when reading a stupid, stupid line is the same thing what goes through all our heads when we're at work: "At least I'm getting paid for it."

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 12, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

KieranWalker posted:

Depth perception is difficult in videogames. That is perhaps the one thing which has improved, gameplay-wise, with the advent of fancier and fancier graphics.

Also, I think that one teensie in the ...Reflux video? He was saying he had to go potty train his anteater. No idea what the other one was saying about a cubicle, though.

Edit: I would think what's going through a voice actor's head when reading a stupid, stupid line is the same thing what goes through all our heads when we're at work: "At least I'm getting paid for it."

I was under the impression that it's not the graphics, but that literally everything uses behind the shoulder view in lieu of the traditional 3rd person camera.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's been a while. Between the excitement of Defiance, the torture of Blood Omen 2, and the responsibilities of real life I kind of forgot I had this thread, too.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Alexeythegreat posted:

Yeah, it's been a while. Between the excitement of Defiance, the torture of Blood Omen 2, and the responsibilities of real life I kind of forgot I had this thread, too.

This is your life now.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

GamesAreSupernice posted:

This is your life now.

Not for long, though.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Alexeythegreat posted:

I was under the impression that it's not the graphics, but that literally everything uses behind the shoulder view in lieu of the traditional 3rd person camera.

There are still plenty of games out there today which don't use the over-the-shoulder camera. The ones springing immediately to mind are the Souls games, mostly because I've been playing Dark Souls 3 the last few days, but there are others. In any case, said games do have improved depth perception compared to games of Rayman 3's era even with their free 3D camera movement, with the added benefits of things like depth of field effects, enhanced lighting and shadow rendering, etc. It's still not perfect, mind you, but definitely a drat sight better than what we had two console generations ago.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This game manages to freely switch between tasteless humor and intelligent humor.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I didn't realize this game got so much flak. I remember playing it and really liking it.

The longest shortcut was the bane of my existence though.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I don't really recall it getting much flak. Just some flak. It's a much better crafted game than its beloved predecessors, but the attempts at immature humor that would be more in place in a GTA setting are sometimes just too much.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, I don;'t mind immature humour in principle, it's literally older than Pompeii, but it has to fit the mood of the medium and still be well written. Bottom was all immature humour, but that's because is was about a pair of undersexed british tossers who were dealt the shittiest hand imaginable, so it fit the nihilistic tone of the show. An example of immature humour working in something cleverer is the Comedy Breasts in Blackadder series 2, and Red Dwarf allowed itself the odd childish joke as a treat because it a lot of the jokes in those episodes were clever as gently caress. (Thinking of Backwards specifically, they do great world building based on everything playing in reverse, Wars are a thing to celebrate because millions of people suddenly come to life all over the world. Then they allow the joke with Cat in the bushes pooping, but it doesn't go as expected for him). Here's however the jokes neither fit nor do they feel earned. They're like a dessert, you still need a nutritious meal, but you can have a bowl of icecream after if you want.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 23, 2016

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Temperatures, let's see... -61 F is -51 C (they're the same at -40), and 98.6 F is human body temperature, so 37 C.

And yes, I can see where the game's juvenile humor could definitely wear on some peoples' nerves. I roll my eyes at most of it, but it wouldn't be enough to stop me from picking up the game. Still tempted to grab it on Steam or something; it wouldn't be the first game I've decided to buy because of an LP, at least.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I have a high tolerance for that sort of humor, because awful adult animated shows are unfortunately plentiful.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Three months.
Still, there are LPs that take longer to update :v:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

Three months.
Still, there are LPs that take longer to update :v:

Not recently there aren't!

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Not recently there aren't!

Well, there's VLR. FEDUUUUUULE:argh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wow, that rising fat level was some bullshit. It moved so quickly!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow, that rising fat level was some bullshit. It moved so quickly!

Yeah, fat never moves that quickly in real life

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, fat never moves that quickly in real life

You have clearly never dirty bulked :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Man, the climb up that long shaft with the balloons looks pretty brutal. Depth Perception: The Game, indeed.

It reminds me of a sequence in Jak & Daxter, first and foremost--but I'm sure just about every 3D platformer in the early 2000s had a sequence like that.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
If my voice sounds even more nasal than it usually does, it's because I was beginning to get sick :v:
Also, this is a good fight, even if it's not perfect.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

This LP has made me smile the whole way though. Thanks :3:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Congratulations man

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

SystemLogoff posted:

This LP has made me smile the whole way though. Thanks :3:

Thank you too, glad you liked it.

Congratulations man

Thanks.
There are still the minigames left, so it ain't over till it's over :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
And we're done.

On a related note, would there be any interest in a Rayman 2 LP? I find the one on the archive really difficult to watch, for some reason, plus I have an offsite request (which is what gave me the idea).

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Alexeythegreat posted:

On a related note, would there be any interest in a Rayman 2 LP? I find the one on the archive really difficult to watch, for some reason, plus I have an offsite request (which is what gave me the idea).

I'd watch it.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'd watch it as well. Post when you start it. :allears:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Which version of Rayman 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
In that case, I'll get to work

Which version of Rayman 2?

PC

• Locked thread