Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.hbo.com/vinyl
(special thanks to TVIV poster sector_corrector for the title of this thread)

HBO.com posted:

Created by Mick Jagger & Martin Scorsese & Rich Cohen and Terence Winter, this new drama series is set in 1970s New York. A ride through the sex- and drug-addled music business at the dawn of punk, disco, and hip-hop, the show is seen through the eyes of a record label president, Richie Finestra, played by Bobby Cannavale, who is trying to save his company and his soul without destroying everyone in his path. Additional series regulars include Olivia Wilde, Ray Romano, Ato Essandoh, Max Casella, P.J. Byrne, J.C. MacKenzie, Birgitte Hjort Sørensen, Juno Temple, Jack Quaid, James Jagger and Paul Ben-Victor. Scorsese, Jagger and Winter executive produce along with Victoria Pearman, Rick Yorn, Emma Tillinger Koskoff, John Melfi, Allen Coulter and George Mastras. Winter serves as showrunner. The 10-episode first season debuts February 14th.

SOME CAST (view more at imdb.com):

Bobby Cannavale as Richie Finestra, President of American Century Records

Olivia Wilde as Richie's wife

Ray Romano as Zak Yankovich, one of the partners of American Century

Juno Temple as Jamie Vine, an assistant in the A&R department trying to move up through the ranks

A number of other individuals (more cast info @ imdb.com)

First episode aired on February 14th, new episodes air every Sunday at 9:00 PM EST (aka the Game of Thrones slot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Checked to see if this show had a thread and it didn't, so excuse the hastily made OP. At this point I really just wanted one question answered: Did the collapse of the nightclub at the end actually loving happen, or was it a hallucination??

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

timp posted:

At this point I really just wanted one question answered: Did the collapse of the nightclub at the end actually loving happen, or was it a hallucination??

One way or the other, the collapse certainly symbolizes obviousness.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Collapse happened but not during an impromptu NY Dolls gig.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/vinyl-mercer-arts-center-collapse-backstory.html

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Am I the only one that hated this pilot? When Dice started doing his second rate "HOW AM I FUNNY?" pesci knock off I had to really fight to keep watching to the end.

If this is why boardwalk ended, gently caress everyone involved.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

zer0spunk posted:

Am I the only one that hated this pilot? When Dice started doing his second rate "HOW AM I FUNNY?" pesci knock off I had to really fight to keep watching to the end.

If this is why boardwalk ended, gently caress everyone involved.

Boardwalk Empire ended because HBO couldn't justify its cost even if it was a critical darling. I would have liked to have seen an season about the downfall of Arnold Rothstein just for Michael Stuhlbarg, but I realize they had to jump forward to end it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Vanderdeath posted:

Boardwalk Empire ended because HBO couldn't justify its cost even if it was a critical darling. I would have liked to have seen an season about the downfall of Arnold Rothstein just for Michael Stuhlbarg, but I realize they had to jump forward to end it.

Ending one new york city period piece shot in NYC, to start another new york city period piece shot in NYC that also happens to license incredibly expensive period music...that doesn't exactly convince me it was a budget thing.

I'd like to give terence winter some leeway (I can't remember if boardwalk had a poo poo pilot) but jesus christ, this was just weak sauce all around. Reviews on the further eps that critics saw make it seem like it just keeps on being this incredibly predictable thing.

I'm trying to think of scenes that didn't make me roll my eyes super hard, but it just comes off as someone else making a parody of Scorsese.

Some of my favorite awful things:

- Bobby Cannvale going into REALLY LOUD AND YELLY MODE at a drop of a hat in place of realistic dialogue or interesting character moments.. because....he's italian? You guys know he can actually act right?
- The warhol namedrop was so groan inducing. "Andy really misses you! He talks about you all the time while he's combing his famous white hair. You know, ANDY"
- The punk subplot..nasty bits? Nasty bits.
- Is there a single realistic character on this? Why is everyone a cliche?
- "not like you germans..i mean, uh, your parents"..is that...is that your idea of comedy "vinyl"?..I feel for you not-judah friedlander..you (probably) deserve better than this. You know what every show needs? Not one, but TWO well natured but ultimately dim witted characters that everyone shits on..that'll totally work.
- Everything with andrew dice clay was just painful to watch.
- CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE gently caress THE TAMBOURINE SEQUENCE WAS ABOUT? I get that all these little lip synced motown performances are supposed to connect to his flashbacks as an exec in the 50's and 60's, but they feel really forced and disjointed and a case of "hey it'd look cool if we get someone to play bo diddley backlit as gently caress with some haze going"...The scene with the tambourine girl in the office made even less sense then the other times they do it.

On the plus, I dig the sets. So I guess, more of 1970's subway car recreations and less of every single other element. I feel exactly like I did after running wilde premiered. A show created and starring some of my favorite film makers and actors that's super hyped and ends up being a giant turd.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I thought it was pretty good.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The sets and setting was great. The licensed music was used well. Everything else was kinda meh.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I mostly agree with zer0spunk and was a bit disappointed by the sheer predictability of it all. Much of the music related stuff came across, as The AV Club put it, as the producers/writers saying "“This was real music, maaan” over and over again. The music industry setting offers opportunity for lots of drug taking and tits, it's an HBO show after all. And apparently Scorsese can't help himself either, and HAS to throw in the mob and a murder. Especially the latter was the kind of hook this show really shouldn't need.
I don't know. The result isn't really bad, there's just too much talent involved for that. But the pilot was much less fun to sit through than I hoped.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Lester Grimes was the only character I felt any connection with.

General_Malaise
Dec 28, 2004

Try the clams... I insist.
College Slice
I really enjoyed the pilot, especially the Dice Clay parts.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I watched 11.22.63, which was boring, and then this, which put me to sleep about an hour in.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Vodos posted:

I watched 11.22.63, which was boring, and then this, which put me to sleep about an hour in.

Haha, yeah, I did this double feature and fell asleep during 11.22.63 myself.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Man thank you God. I truly praise you.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Though I didn't really like this, I didn't really like the first episode of Boardwalk either, which was also directed by Scorcese. Once he backed off, I feel like the show got a lot better.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
HBO Renews ‘Vinyl’ for Season 2 Despite Low Premiere Ratings

I wonder if HBO is losing more pitches now that there are more streaming networks producing shows (hulu, amazon, netflix, crackle, seeso and eventually youtube and vimeo).

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I liked last night's episode since it had a fair bit of comedy interjected into it. It was also a nice surprise seeing John Cameron Mitchell pop up as Andy Warhol.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
I think the show is OK, I hope it gets better. But the original music they're using is kinda weak. It's a similar problem that Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip had, where they kept telling us the comedy sketches were top notch, but then they'd show them and they weren't. At least this show has existing 70s music to fall back on.

The actor playing the lead singer of the Nasty Bits isn't very good. Hopefully he'll OD or something and we'll be done with him. I think he's Mick Jagger's son though, so that's not likely.

I also long for the day that shows set in the 1970s in NYC will stop using Andy Warhol as set decoration. Or at least include a character who doesn't idolize him. I want to see a scene of Richie watching an Andy Warhol 'film' and then saying: "Wow, this is utter bullshit." And then the building collapses around him.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I enjoyed this episode more than the premiere, probably because we got lots of crazy drug and alcohol fueled Monday morning office shakeup stuff that made me love Mad Men so much. Basically, the more this show acts like Mad Men, the more I'll probably like it.

I get what they're trying to do with the musical interludes between scenes, but it comes off as confusing because, more often than not, actual performances happen as well. So its like, Is this a transition between scenes or is this actually happening in their universe? They do some weird stuff with the mixes, too. One of the songs this week had the worlds loudest, crispest, clearest tambourine hits I've ever heard in a TV show, and that includes the transition scene from the last episode of the chick playing the tambourine repeatedly with her rear end

EDIT: I'm also glad Ray Romano ended up not killing himself :unsmith:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

zer0spunk posted:

HBO Renews ‘Vinyl’ for Season 2 Despite Low Premiere Ratings

I wonder if HBO is losing more pitches now that there are more streaming networks producing shows (hulu, amazon, netflix, crackle, seeso and eventually youtube and vimeo).

I don't think they're willing to take very many pitches nowadays. The only shows they seem to produce are either based on high-profile book series or from high-profile people.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When Richie rolled up to the projects where that party was jumping and the DJ was doing some early scratching/break beats I was all like "let me out, I want to watch that movie instead."

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The title sequence on this show is real cool.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

ruddiger posted:

When Richie rolled up to the projects where that party was jumping and the DJ was doing some early scratching/break beats I was all like "let me out, I want to watch that movie instead."

They're going to have to do something with that because 1520 Sedgwick Avenue is credited as being the birthplace of Hip-Hop and rap and that young DJ was likely DJ Kool Herc, who started tinkering with break beats in fall of 1973. I have a feeling that's what Little Jimmy Little's arc is going to be about.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

"Difficult Men" and Alan Sepinwall's tv book go into some of the problem HBO has had.

They've become very insular and very very hard to pitch to. Netflix and Amazon have made it a priority to say "We'll take pitches from near everyone", even as they do tend to go with established talent.

Renewing Vinyl is a weird choice. I get that its fun to keep the guys around who made Wolf of Wall Street, but this is a bridge too far. They gave Milch room to make john of cincinnati, but also realized that the show wasn't coherent enough to work and summarily cancelled it.

This is... different.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Narcissus1916 posted:

"Difficult Men" and Alan Sepinwall's tv book go into some of the problem HBO has had.

They've become very insular and very very hard to pitch to. Netflix and Amazon have made it a priority to say "We'll take pitches from near everyone", even as they do tend to go with established talent.

Renewing Vinyl is a weird choice. I get that its fun to keep the guys around who made Wolf of Wall Street, but this is a bridge too far. They gave Milch room to make john of cincinnati, but also realized that the show wasn't coherent enough to work and summarily cancelled it.

This is... different.

I read an article that looked at what hour-long shows they had that were solid, and at this point it's basically Game of Thrones and...The Leftovers? True Detective might not come back, and might not be welcomed back after the last season. Westworld is apparently having some issues as well.

Without a 2nd season of Vinyl, they might have a big drought. Better to renew it and get it in the pipeline and try to fix the issues.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
I liked both episodes. IDK what's up with the hate. I laughed my rear end off when the mom forgot the kids at 70's Denny's. I guess I was pre-disposed to like this show, Sturgill Simpson does the opening song and is amazing, it's how I first heard about the show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Boardwalk Empire became amazing after season 2. Maybe it will be the same with this.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

mangler103 posted:

I read an article that looked at what hour-long shows they had that were solid, and at this point it's basically Game of Thrones and...The Leftovers? True Detective might not come back, and might not be welcomed back after the last season. Westworld is apparently having some issues as well.

Without a 2nd season of Vinyl, they might have a big drought. Better to renew it and get it in the pipeline and try to fix the issues.

They haven't really had more than 1-2 good shows on a year for quite a while now.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is there a site that lists the music in each episode? I liked the slow rock they had in the flashback, the "asleep for a thousand years" one before the HBO Sex Scene

Also this show is pretty "Okay" for me, nothing really new though

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I like the musical vignettes (especially the tambourine girl, don't get the hate for that scene) and Lester Grimes.

Main character has an extremely punchable face/expression. Also, lovely wigs everywhere.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The second episode of this show was very good imo

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Is there a site that lists the music in each episode? I liked the slow rock they had in the flashback, the "asleep for a thousand years" one before the HBO Sex Scene

Also this show is pretty "Okay" for me, nothing really new though

The one in the theater? That was a Velvet Underground song named Venus in Furs.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Weembles posted:

The one in the theater? That was a Velvet Underground song named Venus in Furs.

Cool, thanks!

This show reminds me of Treme where I'm constantly trying to google lyrics to songs while watching so I can listen to them later

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

This show reminds me of Treme where I'm constantly trying to google lyrics to songs while watching so I can listen to them later

You could
A) use Soundhound/Shazam on your phone to detect the songs
B) Check the HBO website, they normally have the soundtrack listed for shows as the episodes air.
C) Search Spotify/whatever music app you use because someone has probably done the hard work for you and created a playlist.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

spandexcajun posted:

I liked both episodes. IDK what's up with the hate. I laughed my rear end off when the mom forgot the kids at 70's Denny's. I guess I was pre-disposed to like this show, Sturgill Simpson does the opening song and is amazing, it's how I first heard about the show.
I like both episodes too.
I see this as an alternate universe so the dopplegangers aren't always exact.
And it would be great if Finestra keeps trying to sign a good band but misses and he descends into more drug-and-alcohol benders. So eg Richie signs the Nasty Bits and oh the Speaking Noggins, who sell no records and go nowhere while Sire Records has the Dead Boys and Talking Heads.
And that's why no one has heard of American Century Records.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 29, 2016

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I do have to say that the bit in the pilot where Dice Clay comes 'back to life' to attack Richie was startlingly hilarious.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
This show is getting better and better. I liked Alice Cooper's portrayal.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
It is growing on me too. I can't wait to see crushed throat guy rap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

This show is getting better and better. I liked Alice Cooper's portrayal.
Yes the actor really captured the way he speaks.

I grew up in the 70s and really like the show, the fashions, and even the replica artists and bands that appear. And the vintage brushed aluminum look of home audio systems.
Don't even need the murder plot to make the NYC music scene and music industry compelling.

The Stones were also really big during this time - charging up to around $12 for seats close to the stage LOL. I wonder if they'll be portrayed by actors or if they're off limits.

• Locked thread