Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

that's amd's official linux driver that's supposed to eventually be opened and upstreamed into the kernel, but is a closed blob for now.

amdgpu-pro is amd's proprietary opengl with the open source kernel driver

(everything that lives in-kernel is open source, but the userspace bits are binary blobs.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
is trying to track down all the stars in the talos principle worth it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there are a few different endings and one is only available based on total completion.

I enjoyed the game and trying to finish and find everything so it all worked for me, but I wouldn't play it just to make the numbers go up if you aren't enjoying it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://feaneron.com/2017/01/17/a-history-about-gtk-vulkan-and-wayland/

:fap:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:iia:

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

does it still take over 200 lines of code to put a polygon on screen?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

200? More like 2000. It's hella verbose.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

josh04 posted:

just like your mom, last night :rolleyes:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

rendering a whole 149 icons at 54 fps :popeye:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

josh04 posted:

might have to actually try vulkan out for this reason, i have to imagine that there are subtle things one can learn from 2000 lines of setup

it legit is pretty exciting to see the linux graphics/desktop stack take some actual strides, has been a long time

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

lots of neat extensions in the latest revision, mostly centered around being able to run headless or without a window manager on linux. pretty neat that you can run a fullscreen application without x or even tell x to temporarily gently caress off while your fullscreen application is running. valve's fingerprints are all over these extensions too, along with hiring a guy to work on radv, so they seem to be working on quite a bit of linux-oriented vr stuff.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The_Franz posted:

lots of neat extensions in the latest revision, mostly centered around being able to run headless or without a window manager on linux. pretty neat that you can run a fullscreen application without x or even tell x to temporarily gently caress off while your fullscreen application is running. valve's fingerprints are all over these extensions too, along with hiring a guy to work on radv, so they seem to be working on quite a bit of linux-oriented vr stuff.

unironically hell fuckin yeah

running completely headless is the default state of affairs in vulkan tho (e.g. for compute). you need a platform-specific extension to create presentable surfaces.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

unironically hell fuckin yeah

running completely headless is the default state of affairs in vulkan tho (e.g. for compute). you need a platform-specific extension to create presentable surfaces.

until the latest driver nvidia drivers wouldn't let you initialize vulkan without x running. simply creating the global instance would fail.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
to be fair I don't believe the linux nvidia drivers support GL without GLX, either

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

to be fair I don't believe the linux nvidia drivers support GL without GLX, either

gl is different. from the beginning you needed a wgl or glx function to create the context. windows in particular was a nightmare because ms stopped supporting gl after 1.2 or thereabout, so you had to make a legacy context, use that to load an extension to create a modern context from it and then "trampoline" to modern gl.

vulkan initialization involves no window system code at all. presentable surfaces are handled strictly via the wsi extensions and you don't even need to load them if you aren't drawing anything to the screen. i'm guessing the nvidia limitation was due to them coupling their vulkan implementation with their opengl implementation which internally needed x running.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
toot toot vr on linux is attempting to become a thing i guess

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/steamvr-for-linux-is-now-officially-in-beta.9156

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

this thumbnail just looks like anime jo bait
when did blizzard become so bad

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

actually blizzard is good

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

overwatch is very fun despite everything having this weird horny sheen over it at all times

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i mean the premise is "tf2 but with tits" so what did you expect

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

MeruFM posted:

i played way more wow than was good for me and let me tell you about jo bait female character/npc models my friend

if you expected something other than blatant pandering to the teenage male gaze out of blizzard idk what you think blizzard is

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

but then they made the cover character gay, which enraged endless nerds, which is good

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MeruFM posted:

lol blizzard was always bad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bloody posted:

but then they made the cover character gay, which enraged endless nerds, which is good

agreed. blizzard is gross but lol when nerds get mad

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Bloody posted:

i've only heard people be happy about the decision. maybe i should use twitter more to get other hot takes

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

MeruFM posted:

wow was released 11-23-2004 so 11-24-2004

BobHoward posted:

if you expected something other than blatant pandering to the teenage male gaze out of blizzard idk what you think blizzard is

Bloody posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krbl911ZPBA&t=28s

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

i mean the premise is "tf2 but with tits" so what did you expect

it's so horny

even the robots

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

blizzard spends millions of dollars on latex and oiled skin surface shaders

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MeruFM posted:

i've only heard people be happy about the decision. maybe i should use twitter more to get other hot takes

no dont use twitter

stay away from angry nerds

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Agile Vector posted:

wow was released 11-23-2004 so 11-24-2004

just because the pixels werent there, that doesnt mean they werent pandering

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

panderaning

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pandermonium

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
overwatch is weeb heaven

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The_Franz posted:

osx 10.12 death valley
yoooo

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Valve makes sure that Khronos can do VR stuff it seems! SteamVR is out on Linux now too.

Khronos Announces OpenXR, WebGL 2.0 Finalized & More

Khronos' 3D Portability Initiative Could Be Quite Interesting, Boon For Linux Gaming

I can't get myself to care about vr, but since the big players have made it clear that it's important, I guess it's nice that vulkan implements a standard for it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...omparisons.9345

feral is starting to roll out vulkan support in their ports. they released a vulkan version of mad max which runs 2x-3x faster than on opengl

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
cool

always good to see more vulkan games appearing, maybe some day we'll see some really major titles other than nudoom

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

nice!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
oh yeah I should probably see how well Vulcan works on my new viddy card

• Locked thread