Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

blue squares posted:

Because everything you've posted is absurd

Cool glad we could have this discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

PantsBandit posted:

Not a fan of this episode. I'll try to look past my very negative views on Hillary Clinton and how strange it is that this is some sort of magical reality where Abbi and Illana would idolize Hillary Clinton and just say it's really weird how Hillary is portrayed as a super-human rockstar in her 10 seconds of screen-time for this episode.

It felt very much like a ~24 minute Hillary ad to me.

The DMV stuff was funny though.

If I'm not entirely mistaken the real-life Abbi and Ilana are both super pro-Hillary. It's definitely not out-of-character for them to endorse her in the show (did you see Ilana literally saluting Hillary when she was reading her book on the toilet in the intro to the first episode?) and I really don't think it's a problem.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Eh, I didn't see the episode as being overtly political. This could have taken place on any campaign. And people in their early 20s idolize political candidates to a ridiculous standard, so I didn't read into those jokes people are talking about. I expected the Hillary cameo to be cringeworthy, but it was actually OK.

The DMV subplot was better anyway. It was the same kind of extreme absurdity that you see in Man Seeking Woman. And I liked the chat between Ilana and Eliot.

Eliot: "You're being really homophobic."
Ilana: "Am I?"
Eliot: "No, but get a job!"

Edit: I will say that the constant "YAS"ing in this episode was pretty annoying. I desperately didn't want it to become this show's dumb catchphrase but it's starting to reach that point.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 19, 2016

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Jerkface posted:

Whatever your political opinion of this episode is, put it aside and realize an old women crotchet'd her own bodybag in the hell dmv

Exactly, that was probably the most amazing visual gag in the entire series so far. The setup and payoff was just perfect, and just think of the amount of work that must've gone into making the prop just for that one joke. Incredible.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

Whatever your political opinion of this episode is, put it aside and realize an old women crotchet'd her own bodybag in the hell dmv

Ohhhh. I was waiting for the reveal of what she was making and I blame me missing it on realizing that this was the Clinton episode I'd heard of and forgotten about.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Just suck up whatever your feelings are about Hillary and watch the episode. And if you don't like the scenes where Ilana is working for her campaign... well, you've still got the excellent DMV scenes and Alan Alda's guest appearance, so it's not a total loss.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I'm British and have no stake in the American elections and the latest episode was utter poo poo. I loved every other episode, but this was just a political ad.

I think I'd have preferred it if Ilana got a job at subway and in the end Jared came out and said "thanks to eating subway sandwiches every day I am no longer a pedophile. Free subways for everyone!"

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 22, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
It wasn't a big deal and was kind of inevitable. It's just more annoying with a show like this because a) BC has a pretty high quality standard and b) they only do 10 episodes per season and I'd rather they wouldn't spend half of one on a dumb politician cameo.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

mrmcd posted:

I'm a member of Park Slope Food Coop and it's awesome. The work requirement is real, but it's pretty easy, 2.75 hours every 4 weeks (or 3 hr/month on average). Green Hill is actually 15 minutes less according their website.

Green Hill is basically one of the baby coops spawned from PSFC. They basically are so successful they put away extra money into a fund that loans money to new co-ops to get started that want to follow the same member labor structure as PSFC. I haven't been to Green Hill, but their policies look pretty much identical to PSFC, so I suspect it was started by former PSFC members to open one closer to their neighborhood. The look much smaller than PSFC though, and they aren't open everyday. I do know the PSFC and Green Hill members get shopping privileges at the other ones (they advertise this fact in our newspaper all the time.)

The biggest advantage is that you get really high quality food products for very cheap. As for the cultish aspect, you can participate in that as much or as little as you like. I will say though that PSFC is a source of endless fascination among people in the media. See The Daily Show , Gothamist and New York Times. Green Hill less so, since it's younger and smaller, but they have at least one celebrity apparently.

Anyway, this episode was very, very, very funny to me. It's comedic exaggeration, but starting from a place of truth.

"THE CO-OPS ARE ALL CONNECTED! YOU'RE GONNA BE EATING BODEGA VEGGIES FOR THE REST OF YOUR VERY SHORT LIVES!"

So many of the jokes in this show you won't get the full impact of if you're not a New Yorker and I love it.

I love co ops. This is why I like this show. NO other show on TV talks about these very real things that exist and are awesome

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I guess you could say that this episode was a political ad for Hillary Clinton in the same way that product placement for beer, fast food, etc. is an ad for that product. Other than that, I'm just not seeing the "Vote For Hillary!" angle. I know that the real-life Abbi and Ilana's support Hillary (sadly, not every millenial is for Bernie), but like I said, this was an accurate portrayal of a person who's college-aged or in their early 20s and how they view political candidates. Cynicism usually hasn't set in by that point.

juniperjones posted:

I love co ops. This is why I like this show. NO other show on TV talks about these very real things that exist and are awesome
The Greene Hill co-op is also a real place (named for the two Brooklyn neighborhoods it straddles: Fort Greene and Clinton Hill). When I first moved to my apartment, there were flyers for it all over the block. Perhaps a trip report is in order. I might be moving Saturday, but I'll still be near the bus line that drops you off near it.

I think I posted that here already, but meh.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Shneak posted:

I love Broad City's surreal bits too. It's made me realize that's my favourite kind of comedy - having somebody from our actual reality enter into an exaggerated reality. DMV jokes have been run into the ground but that was a new spin. There should have been a bit where Abbi couldn't fit her signature into the small box on her documents because that's all too real to me.

Was the lady on the subway who stole the dollar out of Ilana's backpack another recurring character as well? Swear I've seen her before.

Thats what takes this show from like to love for me. It's just... that much more funny because it's surreal, and I guess it also doesn't feel cheap or cheesy.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I don't even see how this could be propaganda though? Abbi and Ilana aren't exactly aspirational characters, and Hilary herself came across as fairly wooden and kind of weird. We're not supposed to think the protagonists of this show make good decisions, and other than the simple fact of "was willing to appear on a comedy show" Hilary didn't really do anything to sell herself, so... how was this actually political advocacy?

You really don't see how this could be viewed as propaganda? For one thing, the mere fact that Hillary is ON the show is a sort of endorsement of her, and then when you get into Hillary's politics, it's confusing. Why would someone as progressive and pot-smoking as Ilana not make the connection that Hillary has worked toward putting people in jail for doing the very thing that defines Ilana's personality?

If I met a politician, I'd use that time as a way to talk about something important. It felt forced and that's why it looks like propaganda.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

I can never get over how people excuse the fact that she was anti-gay-marriage for so long. I don't know how progressive people justify wanting a leader that worked to abolish the rights of others.

It's like Americans never heard of Margaret Thatcher, she was a woman, but that didn't excuse her terribleness that directly lead to the deaths of many, many people, and the poverty of many others.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Megaspel posted:

It's like Americans never heard of Margaret Thatcher
Hey, I don't like Hillary either, but I wouldn't quite use Maggie as a comparison. She was worse than Reagan FFS.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
If I could go back in time and close this thread after last week's episode I would.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Megaspel posted:

I can never get over how people excuse the fact that she was anti-gay-marriage for so long.

The fact that literally every other politician that's been in power for longer than 8 years (including Barack Obama) was anti-gay marriage at one point or another and we've forgiven all of the other people that evolved on the issue since then.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

juniperjones posted:

Why would someone as progressive and pot-smoking as Ilana not make the connection that Hillary has worked toward putting people in jail for doing the very thing that defines Ilana's personality?

For the same reasons that the real world, pot-smoking Ilana supports Hillary Clinton. Or for the reasons that millions of other pot-smoking people support a broad range of candidates. Sane people don't base their entire political ideology around pot.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

I guess you could say that this episode was a political ad for Hillary Clinton in the same way that product placement for beer, fast food, etc. is an ad for that product.

In that that's exactly what it is...?

edit: Actually, I'll stick with the more succinct :psyduck:

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

cebrail posted:

For the same reasons that the real world, pot-smoking Ilana supports Hillary Clinton. Or for the reasons that millions of other pot-smoking people support a broad range of candidates. Sane people don't base their entire political ideology around pot.

Yes, because removing a tool for suppressing black people isn't something Ilana would give a poo poo about.

Top adviser to Richard Nixon admitted that ‘War on Drugs’ was policy tool to go after anti-war protesters and ‘black people’

I don't care that this thread has shifted to poltichat, that's exactly what this show deserves after turning into a political ad.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Megaspel posted:

Yes, because removing a tool for suppressing black people isn't something Ilana would give a poo poo about.

Having no understanding of issues beyond a completely surface level is exactly how Ilana thinks, so yes.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

"In today's episode, Ilana finds out that her favorite brand of soda, Coca-Cola, just opened a new factory in town! Watch Ilana talk about how much she LOVES Coca-Cola, and walk door to door telling people they should love Coca-Cola too!"

EDITOR'S NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN AD FOR COCA-COLA

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Megaspel posted:

Top adviser to Richard Nixon admitted that ‘War on Drugs’ was policy tool to go after anti-war protesters and ‘black people’

I don't care that this thread has shifted to poltichat, that's exactly what this show deserves after turning into a political ad.

I have no idea what you're talking about. The actual real world human being Ilana Glazer supports Hillary Clinton, do you under stand that?

And yes, Nixon-era politics is something the in show Ilana wouldn't give a poo poo about.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 23, 2016

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

cebrail posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about. The actual real world human being Ilana Glazer supports Hillary Clinton, do you under stand that?

And yes, Nixon-era politics is something the in show Ilana wouldn't give a poo poo about.

Mostly I was annoyed at your "sane people don't care about this thing I don't care about", like you're the only sane person on this planet and everybody else is crazy.

Maybe it's within her character, maybe it isn't, but this was seemed like a really shoehorned paid-sponsorship. It's like when celebrities show up in the bad episodes of of the later seasons of Simpsons, though at least Simpsons had good jokes in those, like Homer calling Tony Blair, 'Mr Bean' and not just sucking his dick.

There was a good way to integrate a celebrity cameo and Broad City did it the bad way, and in a way that makes it very transparent that the episode was a lovely ad for the Hilary campaign.

PantsBandit posted:

"In today's episode, Ilana finds out that her favorite brand of soda, Coca-Cola, just opened a new factory in town! Watch Ilana talk about how much she LOVES Coca-Cola, and walk door to door telling people they should love Coca-Cola too!"

EDITOR'S NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN AD FOR COCA-COLA

Pretty much. I don't mind people supporting whatever candidate, but to deny that this was a political ad is reaching and ridiculous. You can like Hilary, even though I don't like her, but don't start sticking your fingers in your ears and denying obvious facts.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 23, 2016

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Is there a new episode tonight? I hope so, because you all need to shut the gently caress up about last week's.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Flobbster posted:

Is there a new episode tonight? I hope so, because you all need to shut the gently caress up about last week's.

Yes and loving yes.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Flobbster posted:

You got anything interesting to say besides being a dick?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Megaspel posted:

Mostly I was annoyed at your "sane people don't care about this thing I don't care about", like you're the only sane person on this planet and everybody else is crazy.

Haha, I said that people who base their entire ideology around pot aren't sane. If that annoys you, you probably shouldn't talk to anyone except 20 year old stoners.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Should I close this thread until tonight's episode?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Gaunab posted:

Should I close this thread until tonight's episode?

Sure thang

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Megaspel posted:

You got anything interesting to say besides being a dick?

When you have something interesting to say, you can ask if I do. This thread has veered from discussion about Hillary's appearance on the show to discussion about her policies and pointless projection of what the actresses and characters should believe based on what viewers want. If you want to complain about a politician's stances, head over to D&D. Nobody here is going to change anyone's mind about a candidate—it's just pointless dick-waving.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Just chiming in to say that this show rules and you twats are ruining it with these bullshit political posts. Smoke some weed and chill the gently caress out. Talk about jokes and fun things. Be the bigger person and just drop the Hilary poo poo. Yes, everyone thinks she sucks. Yes, it was a ploy to get young voters. Move on with your lives and let this political circle jerk end.

fake edit: the only posts I could see that were worth bringing politics into were the ones questioning the characters motivations behind supporting a candidate being true to the character or not.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I'm literally discussing events that happened in the show, I made one post to counter the dude who started bring up pot politics out of nowhere.

People are allowed to discuss bad things in a show, if you don't like it, there's no one holding up a gun to your head making you read the posts.

We didn't ruin the show by discussing the scenes in the show, calm down.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Frankly, I was a lot more interested in the fact that the girls kissed on the lips. Not sexually of course, it was the same way teenage girls might hug each other in excitement over meeting Justin Timberlake, but still.

And as for tonight's episode, they take a trip to Abbi's childhood home in Philadelphia and have to fix a mistake she made in high school. So that should be fun. Who knows, Bernie might be the principal!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Windows 98 posted:

Smoke some weed and chill the gently caress out.
This should be what everyone does while watching this show. Can't wait for tonight's episode to smooth over everything.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Tonight is actually a full episode of Bevers working for the Cruz campaign

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Tonight is actually a full episode of Bevers working for the Cruz campaign
i knew i hated that fucker

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Start with some Sleater-Kinney

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Holy poo poo it's Tony Danza! Man he's in great shape.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's like normal stuff but it has a past, you know?

EDIT: Oh my God a JonBenet Ramsey Beanie Baby, that's brutal

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
Jon Benet edition beenie baby... Hahaha

• Locked thread