Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Oh it's fine, the sky is huge! There's like a 0% chance.

I knew someone would post that, but I'd also say not talking to one another and flying at low altitude directly over a firebase is pretty obvious in a way that "no, tell me exactly where all the missiles will go after they leave the rail" is dumb in the other direction.

And arguably: still the absolute tiniest drop in the bucket compared to holding artillery fire for an entire brigade in contact in large scale combat to let a plane leave the area who's hanging out in the wrong airspace.

And even smaller drop in the bucket compared with tthe number of times airplane guys have gotten lost or scared and killed ground guys on the ground due to either map confusion or "self defense" when they saw friendly forces in combat or doing training on the ground and mistook it as anti-aircraft fire that can reach 25,000+ feet altitude....

It did sound exciting when an F-15E crewmember was talking about the time that B-1s dropped bombs through his formation so closely that he saw the bomb pass between him and his wingman.

(I was mostly joking in the original post, but I have seen air guys lose their loving mind in sims when we had the discussion that if Dipshit Pilot hangs out in an arty fire zone, denying division counter-battery fire missions because he's trying to bullseye one whole tank, maybe Dipshit Pilot deserves to dodge arty rounds. The red artillery is shooting through that airspace anyway!)

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I thought my stupid little derail would be over by now but I'm SO GLAD it isn't.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
While almost inherently, the ground forces are more often going to be on the receiving end of friendly fire from air-to-ground munitions than vice versa based on tactics and employment, there are some pretty egregious ones that can essentially be chalked up to cowardice mixed with incompetence.

quote:

A serious incident occurred before OIF, during Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. On April 17, 2002 near Kandahar, troops from Alpha Company, 3rd Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry were conducting a night live-fire exercise at Tarnak Farms range. Two US F-16 fighters were returning from a mission, passing south of Kandahar when the lead pilot observed fireworks, which he misidentified as surface-to-air fire (SAFIRE). Asking permission from AWACS to retaliate, but while waiting for clearance, the nervous wingman considered himself to be under threat and requested to engage with 20mm cannon. AWACS cautioned to “stand by”, requesting additional information. But the wingman declared “rolling in self defense” and released a 500lb bomb which impacted among the Canadian troops, killing four soldiers and wounding eight.

He was flying at 20,000 feet when he engaged the Canadians in self defense at night. Kandahar is around 3,000-3,500 feet, so I guess he was really concerned someone might shoot 3 miles straight up in the dark and hit him, so he just had to drop a bomb on it after requesting to do a gun-run first... He testified that he was worried the Taliban might shoot him down with unguided vertically fired 122mm rockets.

His punishment was a month's pay, reprimand, and being put on a desk job.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

How many amphetamines had he taken that day?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PittTheElder posted:

How many amphetamines had he taken that day?

Possibly not enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

I knew someone would post that, but I'd also say not talking to one another and flying at low altitude directly over a firebase is pretty obvious in a way that "no, tell me exactly where all the missiles will go after they leave the rail" is dumb in the other direction.

That's one of my "I will post this any chance I get" pics because it's so insane.

I always loved trying to mildecon a ROZ and there's some loving UAV in there who's not on the radio and the dude has stepped away from chat for a smoke or whatever, leading to a 10 minute delay.