Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Found a cool thing when looking for a steam suit picture.

http://www.ssbn657.com/pastpicofweek.htm

Lots of pics and stories to go with them.

A sample.

quote:

Head over Heels: This picture was probably taken in 1978 by the Key Gold Crew during a midshipman tour after the first Trident launch. It was among a collection of 50 slides that were almost destroyed during the second Key overhaul but saved by Yeoman Jeff Buss who saved them from the dumpster in 1984. The headless person on the right is probably a midshipman. We don't know yet who is the Key shipmate in the torpedo tube. Let's just hope it is only one person, else it's two very, very friendly shipmates. If you know who it is, then drop us an e-mail

quote:

This very yellow brittle piece of paper was taken by me from the crew's mess in the early 70's. Each day the radiomen would put out a bunch of teletype news stories. They were often as unreadable as this one. My father had asked me how we kept in touch with what was going on in the world. I brought back this sample to show him. It makes the DaVinci Code look simple. Reading the news often turned into a cryptogram game. I hope this brings back some memories and xfgtyyyht rsomerrft to any,,ddqzc for all radiomen.@#$%

I don't remember ever seeing news stories at all when I was out.

quote:

"Found my wallet card and bluenose certificate from 1970. We had gone over the arctic circle with Capt. Logan but no certificate. Capt. Forsythe was more inclined for such ceremonies. He dyed his shaved head green and presented a pretty commanding performance as Neptune ’s stand-in. No mercy on ward room folks. Those of us who were still on the boat, having gone over sometime in first six patrols, were credited with that by not having to take too much flack on this crossing, thanks to Yeoman Eddie Neal who researched it for us. John Linville"

Updated (11/20/07) Received this e-mail explaining how the Blue Nose Certificate came into being.

I am writing concerning the photograph of the Blue Nose Certificate "Photos with Stories".

The Certificate did not exist when Captain Logan was skipper.

The Certificate was designed by QM1(SS) EUBANKS "euby" - sorry do not remember his first name. He was very talented. I was a member of the BLUE Crew on 8/26/70 when Euby designed the Certificate. He drew the Certificate on "ditto paper" and I ran it off and placed it in each man's Service Record.

Instead of throwing the master away after I made all the copies I needed, I kept the original as a keepsake. I have it proudly framed and hanging on my wall in my home computer room.

Just thought you might be interested in the history of the Blue Nose Certificate of the FRANCIS SCOTT KEY (SSBN657).

Gus Knight YN1(SS), USN
Retired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That owns.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/hxhassan/status/1327775193562013700

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Next step better be a gender reveal mortar round or I'm disappointed.

Not mad, just disappointed.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/kann_new...ingawful.com%2F

canyoneer posted:

It's an Israeli tank, it can burn oil for up to 8 days

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
oh heck yeah there's a second angle in the thread

https://twitter.com/kann_news/status/1330562163602313219

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

oh heck yeah there's a second angle in the thread

https://twitter.com/kann_news/status/1330562163602313219

I can't stop watching this :lol:. This is prime idiots thread material.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

What happened there? Is this the ol' 'mistaking gas for brakes' just in a vehicle thirty times heavier

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
I read somewhere that it was a stuck throttle.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Stumbling Block posted:

I read somewhere that it was a stuck throttle.

That was my guess initially, yeah. Especially since the engine is running full tilt for several seconds after it flipped.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Xakura posted:

That was my guess initially, yeah. Especially since the engine is running full tilt for several seconds after it flipped.

That could be cause the oil is going into the cylinders cause it's upside down and the engine is running away, but that's just a guess

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I choose to believe it was like a 70 year old former tanker they decided to let load it for old time's sake and had a "medical emergency" it just goosed it during pass-out-time :v:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

That could be cause the oil is going into the cylinders cause it's upside down and the engine is running away, but that's just a guess

I Am Not A Tanker but i thought most modern tanks were turbines

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Carteret posted:

Thats just M1s really. They suck up too much gas and maintenance for most other countries to put up with.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

ded posted:

Thats just M1s really. They suck up too much gas and maintenance for most other countries to put up with.

I think the T-80 is too but yeah they are the exceptions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

my kinda ape posted:

I think the T-80 is too but yeah they are the exceptions.

T-80 was, but they went back to Diesel powerpack.

Turbines require less maintenance, but the fuel cost makes it not worth it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Carteret posted:

DIESAHL. It's really only the M1 left.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1335671177092673538?s=19

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/HKaaman/status/1338518198531059719?s=19

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Was that dum dum that tried to rambo down the side of a hill and got shot up an American? Seems even stupider than whatever is happening here.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Grem posted:

Was that dum dum that tried to rambo down the side of a hill and got shot up an American?

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLHU-_OhT8g

The guy claims he ran down the hill and left himself exposed to draw fire from his teammates. I'm... skeptical.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLHU-_OhT8g

The guy claims he ran down the hill and left himself exposed to draw fire from his teammates. I'm... skeptical.

Is there more background on this? I’d like to read about it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is there more background on this? I’d like to read about it.

he was a dipshit that made the news. he was glory seeking and did pretty drat near everything wrong and nearly died for it. including 'getting hit' (didn't get hurt) and screaming for his teammates who had to expose themselves to fire to rescue his dumb rear end.

im condensing it a lot but this was from a few years ago.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

'drawing enemy fire' isn't a real thing

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

PookBear posted:

?
...?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah I was wondering if there was a link to his commendation or something /s

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

PookBear posted:

At a particularly nihilistic point in our tour (early 2006, about month 6) we’d go to Haifa Street and put ourselves in the open so we could get in a firefight.

I wouldn’t say it’s a good idea to do most of the time, but it is a thing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fire is inherently neutral, thus you cannot draw it in such a way.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I'm not even commenting on the video, here. I guess the fire itself is neutral, it's gonna hit what it hits, but it is directed by combatants who have some level of discretion on what targets they're firing on, so it is conceivable that a unit could make some kind of feint or "draw fire" if you will as a tactic I dunno am I missing a joke or something

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

US Berder Patrol posted:

I'm not even commenting on the video, here. I guess the fire itself is neutral, it's gonna hit what it hits, but it is directed by combatants who have some level of discretion on what targets they're firing on, so it is conceivable that a unit could make some kind of feint or "draw fire" if you will as a tactic I dunno am I missing a joke or something

no its just that running around in the open doesn't accomplish anything other than making the situation worse by creating more casualties. Yes you can force an enemy force to focus on you, but that's done by attempting to get into an advantageous position so you can start killing people

Its the same thing with suppressing fire where people confuse blindly spraying bullets with shooting at likely enemy positions.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Back in WWII or Vietnam it might have been a thing but it's an incredibly risky thing to do even without being on a bare forward slope so it's a desperation tactic to save your unit, not a doctrinal thing AFAIK.

Also if he hasn't fed back to his leaders what he wants to do and got ordered to do it, he's literally doing the opposite of intended because he's introducing a constraint instead of freeing up his unit to manoeuvre.

I always feel a bit uncomfortable making comments like this because I'm not a combat vet, but I did have an incident in training where a couple of guys just hosed off to attack a flank without permission and the situation went instantly from a secure all round defense to everyone being engaged and the only option if a further enemy appears is me as the section commander to start shooting directly.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
I think the closest I saw to drawing fire was when we put some chemlights in some ruins on top of a hill we were at all day (Afghanistan). When it got dark we moved to a different hill and sure as poo poo the taliban shot up the chemlights then we all opened fire from the other hill. I think it was some E-6's idea, said they would do it in Iraq. Much different than some idiot with a GoPro running and screaming.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Risking your life to save someone that would then have to risk their own lived to save you seem a bit counterproductive.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Makes good youtube content apparently though

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
We're still watching and talking about it years later, so yeah.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Lol, this seems dangerous

https://twitter.com/OedoSoldier/status/1339498563978424320?s=20

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/Perfectlycaptre/status/1339528089311666177

brains
May 12, 2004

https://twitter.com/SubmarinRussian/status/1339110140168052736?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Water Slugs are dangerous. It's why we are always hunting them.