Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

At least we had one positive impact: we gave them some good gym equipment and straw sacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pine Cone Jones posted:

The US Army Space Corps, duh.

Space Marines

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
e; tweet was deleted.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 12, 2022

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Improvised gunboat made by lashing two technicals to the deck. A metatechnical, if you will.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Madurai posted:

Improvised gunboat made by lashing two technicals to the deck. A metatechnical, if you will.

Ah, the newest model of HDML, Hilux Defense Motor Launch

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/ConflictsW/status/1559553923127644165

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Madurai posted:

BRB pitching the marines on a new amphibious assault system.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

BRB pitching the marines on a new amphibious assault system.

May I present the MLC-70 ferry.
A standard bridgelayer lays its bridge across a set of motorized pontoons, and presto.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Caconym posted:

May I present the MLC-70 ferry.
A standard bridgelayer lays its bridge across a set of motorized pontoons, and presto.

I'm sure that works, and there's probably doctrine supporting that, but holy gently caress is that sketchy. I'm getting forklift lifting a forklift that's lifting a full pallet vibes.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

I'm sure that works, and there's probably doctrine supporting that, but holy gently caress is that sketchy. I'm getting forklift lifting a forklift that's lifting a full pallet vibes.

They are actually incredibly much more rigid than they look, and the weight is spread out over a huge area, so not really.
I've only used the teeny tiny version of this rated for 12 tons, not that 70-ton monstrosity, but it handled quite well given the fact that the two engines and steering is entirely separate and operated independently, with just the ferry commanders verbal commands to coordinate.
In the 12-ton variant those engines were manually operated 40hp Evinrude outboards on each of the outer pontoons. :v:
Also works as a makeshift berth for zodiacs in between the pontoons.

(Disclaimer: NOT for open water, the class 12 is for placid rivers and lakes only. Any wave breaking over the bow will sink the vessel.)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I uh, ah, erm…

gently caress no.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Madurai posted:

Camouflaged Deck Technical is my new username.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1576363777959727104?s=20&t=99OfGQcBW5kY3owyrqAB6w

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:catstare:

I bet that made a noise.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

This kills the krab.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

A bit of epoxy and it'll be fine

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hope the ATF doesn’t catch them with that sawn-off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/SNaFu_1313/status/1584769186169253888?s=20&t=odSHpaWCoWXvjd4OyEanYA

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

RAF pilot talks about flying Hornets with USMC, a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiuGIj8QOiw

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Oh my god that thing is home made? And manually aimed?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

It's a Maxson quad-fifty mount, with miniguns swapped out for the fifties, so... partially?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://i.imgur.com/j9OfuSJ.mp4

Russian seem to curse a LOT

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

It's an easy way to tell if someone is particularly bigoted.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Took me a while to realise there’s a guy sat on it. Jesus Christ lol.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

monkeytennis posted:

Took me a while to realise there’s a guy sat on it. Jesus Christ lol.

For 30 seconds no one in the world was having more fun than that one guy.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

The company that makes the M134 made it for a machine gun shoot in Arizona last week. Not exactly "home made."

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/this-quad-minigun-armed-wwii-turret-spewing-rounds-is-metal-as-hell

posted:

George Dillon also shared some details about the quad minigun system on Instagram, saying that each gun was firing at the Dillon factory standard rate of approximately 3,000 rounds per minute, for a combined rate of fire of 12,000 rounds per minute. Each Minigun was linked to a magazine that could hold up to 3,000 rounds, for a total of 12,000 rounds ready to fire before the system would need to be reloaded.

"We ended up 'only' shooting 24,000 rounds as loading the belts into the onboard magazines is very tasking," he wrote.

With each gun firing at 3,000 rounds per minute, it would only take 60 seconds of total firing time to let loose all 12,000 rounds in the magazines. Commercial ammunition prices in the United States vary widely based on type and quality, but at a price point of 75 cents a cartridge, firing this weapon system for a minute would cost $9,000."

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

iroc.dis posted:

The company that makes the M134 made it for a machine gun shoot in Arizona last week. Not exactly "home made."

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/this-quad-minigun-armed-wwii-turret-spewing-rounds-is-metal-as-hell

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Found this gem in a AF JROTC office today. Ah yes, Pearl Harbor, notable failure of American Air Dominance. If only we'd had F-22s.

Genuinely curious, is there a better example that could be used? Have we ever...not? Vietnam maybe?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Elendil004 posted:

Found this gem in a AF JROTC office today. Ah yes, Pearl Harbor, notable failure of American Air Dominance. If only we'd had F-22s.

Genuinely curious, is there a better example that could be used? Have we ever...not? Vietnam maybe?

There are plenty, certainly throughout Vietnam. Linebacker I/II (1972) saw a credible SAM threat with thousands of SA-2s fired with dozens of aircraft downed.

Dumb poster is dumb. Pearl Harbor may not be an air dominance failure but there was a radar at Pearl Harbor that gave a 41 minute heads up about the incoming planes which was ignored. Today that sort of detection and/or response/intercept would be within the realm of roles the F-22 fills.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wouldn't Schweinfurt have been a better example of you were absolutely committed to using a WWII example?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

Ukraine, 2022, if you’re Russian.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Elendil004 posted:

Defense of the Philippines?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Nordwind or whatever that one op in 1945 where the Germans get the jump on a bunch of us bases in France (even if the Luftwaffe ended up losing that fight on a strategic level)

Bodenplatte, base plate.

Derp

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's a solid example, visually and from an importance standpoint. One glance at that poster gets the point across, even if you don't know anything about Pearl Harbor.

Schweinfurt doesn't make a good poster because it's an abstract concept, not an easy visual. "X bombers left, a lot fewer returned" doesn't land like ship exploding. This is going to be the same problem for basically any offensive operation.

With defense air operations, we run into a funny problem: the USAF has historically been very good at this, so there straight up AREN'T any good examples from recent history. The last American troops killed by a foreign air strike were on April 15, 1953 replacing Pearl Harbor with the WTC would be amazing. But everyone's heard of Pearl Harbor. Even most high school kids can probably tie it to the US joining WWII. So it's recognizable, visually impressive, and a simple message. That's tough to beat.

Would it sound less tacky if they stuck with "air superiority" for the slogan?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

B-21 rollout ceremony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chJlJgrvfBY

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Merry Christmas, Naval OSINT wizards?

https://twitter.com/hardcastIe/status/1606294369899790337

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think its mostly that in the era of high res satellites and smart phones, the jig was up around 2005. Its still best practice but you can't get much metallurgy data out of a photo, and the shape has been optimized with CFD anyway.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

I think its mostly that in the era of high res satellites and smart phones, the jig was up around 2005. Its still best practice but you can't get much metallurgy data out of a photo, and the shape has been optimized with CFD anyway.

Its still probably not gonna do wonders for the Russian navy.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
Why not have a burner screw to put on a sub, let photos of it "leak" so the 10lb brains make acoustic estimations of it. Then before actually launching it, put the real screw on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

because that plan would hinge on the warehouse manager not scrapping the real one for a sack of potatoes