Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Considering everything that happened with the Mk. 14 torpedo and an incident during the Guadalcanal landings where some Marines mistook cans of fly spray for Japanese beer, I can absolutely believe a few others broke their legs horsing around with those grenade launchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

aphid_licker posted:

Is the 30cm or whatever increase in the diameter of the "kill zone" really worth the gazillion bucks they paid to develop that rather than just replacing the warhead with some random heavy object and trying to bean people with the rocket

Probably not but this thing seems like its meant for ridiculous Metal Gear Solid-type operations anyway so why not make something utterly impractical just for the hell of it? I mean, it's not like the Pentagon deskpusher who drew up the specs and ordered this thing will face any accountability anyway.

This is like Project Orcon but there was nobody to tell the inventor to gently caress off with his stupid bullshit.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 9, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I swear like at least half of these projects must be the result of some mid-level officer in the Pentagon daring another to see if he can get some stupid idea approved and it always gets approved.

We need to get Slippery into the Pentagon so the Airmobile Groverhaus can finally see the light of day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Smiling Jack posted:

Anecdotal, but I've remember reading a few history WW2 books where tankers hated being in tanks so much they volunteered for poo poo like the SAS or airborne units or whatever just to get away from the things.

Then again if you expected me to go up against a German 88 in a m3 grant or whatever I'd probably volunteer to get away from them also

This is one of those things where the reality is exactly the opposite of what you'd expect because you're far safer as the British/American tanker than the German gunner.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The A/C system in the Abrams is to cool the electronic doohickeys in the tank, not the crew. Same reason server rooms have their A/C on full blast in December.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CommieGIR posted:

Studies post war also showed the Sherman was still more durable than its reputation as well.

The M4 Sherman was the best tank of the war not named T-34 (and the T-34 was the best tank of the war not named the M4 Sherman).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Do you have ten minutes to listen to Orson Welles talk about building tanks to kill fascists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9wv4W0oS3A

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

'Zimmerit', about the time that they stopped applying it was about the time the Russians started using captured German magnetic 'safe-crackers' to pop unsupported Panzers open when using captured Panzerfausts wasn't appropriate.

Brilliant.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I hope this isn't offtopic for this thread. I'm working on a videogame* that requires a lot of 3D models of military naval ship components -- things like deck guns, bridges, searchlights, the ship hulls themselves, torpedo launchers, etc. Basically everything from early WWI through end of the Cold War, ideally covering all the major factions. I'm gonna have to make the models myself, but it'd be a lot easier if I had a good supply of reference photos to work from. Does anyone know of a good resource where I can find photos like that? Haphazardly googling for things as I think of them isn't the greatest strategy, especially since there are probably things that I don't even know exist and thus won't know to search for them.

* Basically I'm trying to remake Warship Gunner 2, a build-your-own-battleship game for the Playstation 2.

Naval Heritage and Historical Command has a huge library of photographs like this online. It's where I got most of the photos for my manuscript.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sweet Jesus