Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Here's another angle, if it'll help anyone:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Dilettante. posted:

Some dudes getting chased by the police got into a Air Force base and got murderized when they drove through a F-18 stabilizer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgC2BWWqdOc

Naval base.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Blind Rasputin posted:

I wanted to watch something cool for a bit last night so I put on Hunt for the Red October. I got to wondering if Sean Connery knew Russian from the start or took lessons, since he was quite convincing, so I Wikipedia it. I did not figure out the answer, but I did learn about this cool little bit of trivia:

I read one of the references, turns out the gravimetric technology was declassified shortly after this little mishap in the film, which is quite telling.

I watched this movie the other night. Dallas didn't chase Red October through the canyon at all so if anyone said anything in the movie about milligal anomalies, it's background chatter completely independent of context.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I'm doing some searching and I can't find any reference to when in the movie it happens. Just that it supposedly does.

In my mind, that makes this story apocryphal. "At some point in the movie" is so meaningless and useless that it may as well be "My second cousin's best friend's girlfriend's uncle once heard..."

I can find a clip on YouTube of a fairly obscure film from the 70s that had that one funny line, but I can't find any solid reference to Hollywood revealing top secret information?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Ragtime All The Time posted:

whats the flapping thing in front with the hazard and anger on it?

It's something to (hopefully) set off IEDs early.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

EBB posted:

If he didn't poo poo his pants we all owe him a beer :stare:

The nice thing about the rocket chair is that you really have to want to poo poo your pants to overcome the force of the rockets up your rear end.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How do Vietnam era bomber crews sleep at night? I get doing your job to an extent, but bombing civilian infrastructure, irrigation canals, villages, etc to the tune of likely millions of innocent deaths seems to be well into the "just following orders" camp. Did any refuse to attack civilian targets?

Innocent civilians were actually popular targets for US aircrew during Vietnam and they all sleep soundly in their beds to this day.

To quote a passage of the memoirs from Major T.J. “King” Kong of the 843rd Bomb Wing, “your trolling is low effort, get the gently caress out of GIP.”

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

mlmp08 posted:

Kind of, but that’s like every single movement to contact in the history of warfare, but grunts don’t always get silly patches for doing that.

Army grunts do. It goes on the right shoulder.

McNally fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 14, 2018

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Like I get the first and second images. But that third one looks like a practical joke

Yeah, I'd love to be able to say it was some staff officer making the most ridiculous diagram they possible could for shits and giggles.

But you know it's in painful earnest.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I have shot an M82 and I can say that goddamn I hardly felt any recoil at all.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

EBB posted:

The Soviets were also nuts in that they air dropped light armored vehicles with the crews inside

https://warisboring.com/the-ussrs-air-dropped-fighting-vehicles-tore-through-cold-war-conflicts/

My old PL had a story about meeting Russian paratroopers at some event or other he did years ago and that's how he learned the Russians air-dropped their vehicles with their crews aboard.

Upon seeing the look of incredulity on his face, the two enlisted men with the Russian officer took off their berets and revealed they had identical scars on their heads from smashing into things. The Russian officer then barked a command and they mimed bracing for impact. They only had lap-belts.

The officer had a harness.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mzuri posted:

The RDAF was in good company at the Roskilde Air Show this weekend. That's Sally B, which "played" Memphis Belle in the movie.

Paint scheme on that F-16 is not bad either.

I was in Dayton last week and saw the real deal.

Technically it was a reunion.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Wtf did they do to the paint? Got rid of the swastikas and the crew names and poo poo

Also nice flip phone in a belt clip, you were a super dad even in your teens

They painted her as she looked at the end of her last mission. The swastikas and crew names were added during the publicity tour.

And I was actually in my 20s here.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

DurosKlav posted:

One of the coolest things I've done was I got to meet the left waist gunner Bill Winchell at an airshow shortly before he died when I was a kid. He let me wear his jacket. I dont know if it was authentic from the war or a reproduction but it was still loving cool as hell when you're like 10 years old.

Pilot Robert Morgan used to do the airshow circuit back in the day, met him a couple times.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Could be a regimental number on the insignia.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
And then they tried to block his Medal of Honor because they didn't want to admit they'd left him.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

EBB posted:

Should have used it for the Notre Dame fire

I can't imagine that would have been a good idea.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

lol goddamnit

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Dont use retarded like that

poo poo, I missed that. Good catch.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Honest related question, where are we on using "sperging"? Cause I let that slip at work today and looked like a total rear end in a top hat for a minute once my boss put two and two together.

I think it's something we should avoid using.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

fart store posted:

Not slowed, delayed. The pace can be the same but the beats are all collectively a little later. Collective delay.

I think it's a useful word for technical communication and gently caress the people who use it to hurt people.

It's better to correct or fire people who corrupt an earnest culture than to try to make superficial changes to the entire culture in order to hide the corruption

Here's the thing: I come out and say "use of the word when it's used in its intended format in technical contexts is okay" and I'm going to be deluged by chucklefucks trying to barracks lawyer their way out of being punished for it because they used it in a "technical context."

So don't use it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I've been told that I'm not doing enough to make people aware, so in the spirit of GIP I'm going to wildly overreact and post this same message in all the active threads.

Another run of Useless Dirt shirts is being put together. Deadline to order is 11:59 PM Eastern time tomorrow.

Info is here

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

CarForumPoster posted:

Man what an offensive thing to wear in public. Like yea, its a poignant criticism in the context of the War on TerrorTM when we discuss it here...but referring to people's homeland as useless dirt while walking around is kinda gross. I know it's got presidents faces on it but its just not enough.

You're not wrong.

Should I put you down for two?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

LibCrusher posted:

What’s the current acceptable term for “gear queer” and how do you say it in Pashto

Geardo works

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

LibCrusher posted:

A lot of soldiers and marines these days have access to ear pro that amplifies voices and deadens gunshots. They always run outta batteries tho

Also the earplugs that were supposed to block impulse sounds but allow everything else that the military issued out ended up being defective.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

bloops posted:

Literally everyone in the military has a good chance at a tinnitus rating.

There were numerous times I had to check external doors on the E-3 while we held short of the runway. Four screaming turbines will gently caress your hearing up real good.

pkells posted:

I used to maintain the ILS when I was active, and therefore spent a lot of time right next to the runway. I got to a point where if an F-16 taking off towards me wasn’t loaded up with anything, I wouldn’t even bother covering my ears. But if that jet was fully loaded with drop tanks and missiles, you bet your rear end I would jam my fingers in my ears.

Luckily, I only ended up with a high pitched, temporary tone in my ears once every month or two that only lasts a couple minutes.

I have some news for you gentlemen! My dad did 3500+ hours on Looking Glass in the 70s and has high-frequency hearing loss from it.

VA only rates low-frequency hearing loss.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k86XhYS8GJI&t=130s

These guys were firing a 12 pounder Napoleon with full powder charges as an experiment to determine where the remains of canister shot would have ended up so that historians could try to locate them using known artillery emplacements on Civil War battlefields, and vice versa.

A full charge for a 12 pounder Napoleon was an entire pound of black powder.

Edit: Go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k86XhYS8GJI&t=244s for an amazing sound

McNally fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 4, 2020

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
You'd think France would have learned their lesson about cuirassiers after Waterloo.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I'm sure he didn't feel a thing.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Caconym posted:

That's a lot more impressive accuracy than I ever imagined.

Civil War artillery had rifled cannons.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I was staring at that earlier, and I think it's an unrifled Napoleon. Looks like it's bronze at least.

I saw at least two different kinds of guns, but yeah neither of them looked rifled.

Dang, I didn't realize the smoothbores could get that kind of accuracy either.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Madurai posted:

Never underestimate the ability of military observers to watch an actual war and chalk up the fuckups to ignorant furriners. The trench war was clearly forecast by the western theater of the ACW, too, and plenty of European observers watched it happen and came to the conclusion that Americans were mobs with guns, and that could never happen with Proper Military Traditions leading the way. Things happening in the Boer War and Russo-Japanese War were points on the same line.

Eastern theater.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

PittTheElder posted:

I don't know that the ACW is actually indicative of WW1 at all. The war is dominated by manouvre and seiges of strong points, which had been the European tradition for hundreds of years. It's the fact that armies can no longer manouvre that defines the puzzle of the Western Front.

The Siege of Petersburg bogged down into trench warfare for nearly a year with more than superficial similarities to the Western Front of WWI developing along the way.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

PittTheElder posted:

Right, but early modern warfare in Europe had worked like that for a very long time. Trench warfare was super common in sieges, it's only the 'everything is one big siege' part that was new, and the ACW really doesn't have that. Even when Lee and Grant were stuck in at Petersburg there's multiple crucial campaigns going on elsewhere.

By that logic, WWI didn't have that either because while the western front was bogged down in the trenches, the eastern front remained more fluid.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

MikeCrotch posted:

From a few years ago but I will always laugh at everyone's reaction when they see the needle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4_mRoOT-7E

Shouldn't he be wearing gloves for this?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

PittTheElder posted:

Although in the Forrestal incident wasn't he just the guy who's plane got hit with the errant rocket?

He was one plane over.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Scratch Monkey posted:

He also went below deck afterwards and eventually got a lift off the ship while everyone else was busy trying to put the fire out

I'm 90% sure this is bullshit.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I laughed harder at that than I really should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

I knew a Lt who put a bulldozer through a wall. He's a Lt Col now.

EBB posted:

Had lunch with a 3 star who rolled a 113 down a hill

Remember the time the Navy almost gave a star to a guy who'd shot down a USAF F-4 over the Med?