Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kawasaki Nun posted:

With Russia regularly denying their troop losses in the Ukraine I wouldn't be surprised if calling loved ones to report deaths was an attempt to bypass the political considerations that have gone into official estimates of the dead in this conflict

Or at least I could see it starting that way

Do Eastern European militaries notify family members of deaths? Seems unrussian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Unfortunately, I accidentally found a collection of scale folded paper models of WW2 ships a couple of weeks ago that I promised myself I wouldn't lost the link to, but I lost it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Handsome Ralph posted:

So I'm indexing/reading orderly books/unit diaries from the Revolutionary War right now for Continental Army units.

Honestly, the only thing missing from these to make it sound like something out of the modern army is reports of soldiers spending their earnings on cars with 22% APR. Found one entry today where the officer of the day had to remind troops stationed around Boston to stop running around being drunk assholes and running around naked when off duty because it's making everyone look bad as well as pissing off the neighbors.

War. War never changes.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Is there one for pistol marksmanship without device?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Everyone looking up half seated wondering why he stopped having everyone jump feels like a basic human emotion.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CMD598 posted:

I can't get over the cuirassiers.

Where did this come from?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

MikeCrotch posted:

It's from around August 1914, just after the outbreak of WWI (as the cuirassiers disappeared pretty quickly once fighting started for obvious reasons)

I deserve that. What source did that picture come from so I can try to get a huge resolution version, or similar photos?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Didn't think I'd ever see real-life circlestrafing and knife fighting like I do in WoT, but here we are.
:stare:

They don't teach that, right? Who would teach that?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Tanks are stupid because they can't go underwater

False. Tanks can go underwater; it's coming back up where they struggle the most.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
They say that NATOPS is written in blood and the sweat of strategic facilitated risk management assessements.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
What happens if you go up a hill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

That reads like a clickbait article on a red carpet snubbing and I hate it.