Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Godholio posted:

Was that a dud or just not a direct enough hit to detonate? Edit: Or kinetic only, I guess.

The shell was far too large in diameter to be a sabot round. It looked like a HEAT round that failed to detonate because it struck / skimmed the turret roof at an angle such that the fuse didn't go off. In short that tank crew are a bunch of lucky motherfuckers because if it struck an inch or two lower it would have exploded, penetrated the turret face and turned the turret into a Roman candle powered by the detonation of the ready ammunition in the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

not caring here posted:

Ain't seen a problem yet an 88 can't fix.

but for reals that's a really bad problem.

If you do a really thorough job of getting stuck it takes two M88s. :sun:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Richard Bong posted:

That was a huge explosion, why did it go up like that? Did it detonate all the 30mm or something?

The sparkly secondary explosions are ammunition and/or propellant cooking off. I think that the BMP series all have lateral fuel tanks and that might have been what made the initial detonation more spectacular, but that's an educated guess on my part. The explosion 'rate' isn't consistent with ammunition but neither is it 'dirty' enough to be fuel so eh? Either way those dudes in the BMP are toast.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Was it in here I saw that paper posting on a barracks wall or something that was the requirements for a tanker, and it said something like “can’t shoot, can’t march, can barely drive”? Trying to find that now and having no luck.

Sounds about right.

- A Cavalry Scout

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Why is the tow bars stowed on the front? Seems like thats a bad idea.

It’s set up to make it faster to hook up the tank for a tow. The complete assembly weighs over 300 lbs so the less wrestling with it the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

gently caress anyone who uses submunitions anywhere near civilians.

Source: marked USAF UXO in April 2003 in a Baghdad neighborhood at the request of the elder because kids were picking up the duds and getting maimed or killed