Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

my kinda ape posted:

I read that the Houthis are claiming they captured three brigades! How are the Saudis so bad at fighting???

I suspect the fact that many of the Saudi soldiers on the ground are actually indentured servants imported to serve as mercenaries has a whole lot to do with it. They're not treated well and I can't imagine they're too excited to actually fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Better use gloves, wouldn't want to be bitten by an ant

also holy gently caress that's a big piece

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

BUG JUG posted:

Don't get me started on Disney's Pocahontas man....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ARX0-AylFI

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah I remember reading The Guns of August, and it described how at the beginning of the war the French military was still hung up on the old as heck tactics of marching toward the enemy in straight lines while wearing red pants. The Germans, on the other hand, said gently caress that to all those old gentlemen agreements and began the war decked out in drab scrubs and employing gorilla warfare like tactics. They just eviscerated the French armies in the most lopsided unfair battles. Not even playing the same sport.

That's not really true though. The Germans had plenty of massed formation, and plenty of them got blown to hell. Their advantage was in their more modern artillery arm.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

McNally posted:

Civil War artillery had rifled cannons.

Yeah I was staring at that earlier, and I think it's an unrifled Napoleon. Looks like it's bronze at least.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know that the ACW is actually indicative of WW1 at all. The war is dominated by manouvre and seiges of strong points, which had been the European tradition for hundreds of years. It's the fact that armies can no longer manouvre that defines the puzzle of the Western Front.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Right, but early modern warfare in Europe had worked like that for a very long time. Trench warfare was super common in sieges, it's only the 'everything is one big siege' part that was new, and the ACW really doesn't have that. Even when Lee and Grant were stuck in at Petersburg there's multiple crucial campaigns going on elsewhere.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I'm really confused by that whole thing. I can't understand why the IFV didn't seem to shoot at all, despite getting to the position it was clearly aiming to reach.

I guess if it's an IED that didn't detonate that may explain that though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

IHR SEHT WIE EIN STAPEL ELVISE AUS!

:hmmyes:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Although in the Forrestal incident wasn't he just the guy who's plane got hit with the errant rocket?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea the dudes loving ragdolling out of the vehicles are tough to watch.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Godholio posted:

It doesn't look that fast. Sure doesn't look like 250 mph closure with the oncoming truck.

It's because they're on a runway and not a road. You can really gently caress with the brain's perspective on speed by making the corridor wider or narrower.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Scratch Monkey posted:

Luv 2 roll on a piss soaked floor to prove some macho point

Exactly, all four of those guys are colossal assholes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That damage is pretty scary, but less horrifying once I realized I was looking at the back of the ship. Actually kinda surprised six kamikazes did that little damage to it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Scratch Monkey posted:

Why would they fly their semi-secret LO helicopter in broad daylight in a place everyone in the world is currently watching?

To flip off the Americans. It'll be hilarious if it's true

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tPRuLu1JMs

Grip it and rip it posted:

I thought lacross was a sport indigenous to North America?

It is yea.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

He’s also a very poor analyst who is convinced Russia is holding back secret capabilities they’re ready to unleash because he can’t fathom their paper strength and propaganda being lies.

Don't knock it, it's a time tested strategy. First they throw the demoralized conscripts at you, then progressively stronger enemies, then at the end you fight Robo-Putin.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

Does fire like this really damage a pure metal machine like a tank? I’d think it was pretty much fire proof from something that’s burning out pretty quickly.

I'm reasonably certain there's also a video filmed from behind that one, and you can see the fire burn out almost immediately, so Imma go with no.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

BUG JUG posted:

you'd think they'd want to drive them off if that's the case.

I don't think that's necessarily true, your average infantryman probably doesn't know how to start and or drive it, and you wouldn't want to pull a platoon guy to spend an hour driving it to the rear, then having to get back somehow, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

How many amphetamines had he taken that day?