Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

This was mine:

“I got an in-joke about an Internet war tourist written on an artillery shell in an active military conflict” is a great icebreaker.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yeah. <redacted> and some blowed-up Ukrainians don't speak well for SA's effect on modern war.

Ha! Who reported that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Smiling Jack posted:

Wait, is Dawes a bannable topic now?

Think someone would have said sonething about that, huh.

I think it's either posting while one is supposed to be on vacation, or some other don't like their thunder stole.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nah, too lazy.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

That reminds me of the only person I've ever met who was a anti-tank rocket, uh, operator. He hauled the Dragon around in the US Army. That thing was evidently considered near suicide to use outside of, "Holy gently caress, they are everywhere!"
When it worked correctly, it painted a nice big arrow saying, "Here I am!". His thoughts on use were to get one rocket off, ditch everything but the sight group, and fight as a rifleman from there on.

I see why now.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

ughhhh posted:

The pkk are nominally atheists, the Turkish military is turning nominally Islamist.

(Pure conjecture here) Are the guys getting hosed up "Turkish" though? Plenty enough men to Shanghai coming through their country in the past couple years. Like the French after the second world war, "Serve in the military or prison, makes no difference to us", regarding French in the Wehrmacht.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

is that a vulcan?

The real question is why didn't they hook up the electric motor in the car to the gun? Give it some throttle, see if they can hit 10,000 r(ounds)pm.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Lebanon and Syria in particular used the StG44 forever in reserve service.

It's gets even weirder than that though. In certain areas of Pakistan the 8mm Kurtz was popular as a conversion caliber for AKs, 7.62x39 being proscribed. They call it 44 bore, or did, until the practice was banned in 2012.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Reforger posted:

Got a question. There is a US term similar in meaning to the Russian "monkey model" for capability downgraded export weapons systems.

Do you know it?

"A"model? That would denote an earlier, less capable, variant. F-14A<F-14D.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

Oh I got to use that poo poo once. GPS enabled and all fancy.

Except they forgot that gun tractors don't move all that much and killed all our batteries within the first day. Every move order took 4 times as long because we had to chain jump all our trucks.

Proudly upgraded by Best Buy out by the mall. Only the Best for our troops!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

I would hope not, unless there's like a screw on cap on the front of the tube they forgot to take off. I'd be surprised if we have anyone here that's familiar with launching IGLAs though.

If it exists to shoot down planes, the Finnish have at least one in service.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

People in another thread said its probably a failure of the folding fins.

zharmad posted:

The Igla doesn't have a warhead per se. It's a contained unit. It goes from the front: Guidance Package---Munition----Flight Motor----Launch Motor, they're not intended to separate during flight. It looks to me like the entire missile assembly got hung up in the launch tube which means there's a live warhead in the tube that is flying around. The missile frees itself when pointed at the ground to the left and flies off to the right, about 180 degrees away from where it was aimed. The launch motor failed to separate the missile from the tube. Probably an issue with the folding fins on the missile.

I've fired several missiles that have had the flight motors fail to ignite, but never seen a launch motor failure like that.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The best thing about [Iraqi] SF, is that you can send them back to [Syria] after they are done fighting. [Insert countries of choice in brackets]

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I really like this. Plenty of ways to look at it that reveal what I'm actually thinking when I see it.

You'll be given ammo weather you like it or not. You always gonna take the shot?

If you don't use it for something, this'll all be for nothing.

To paraphrase the latest Hitchhiker Guide movie: "The empathy gun doesn't work on me. I'm already a woman." [I am not a woman]

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Scratch Monkey posted:

Who was in that Ranger? The robbers?

SA drives on the left. Two cars. The Ranger he sees coming up past his side trying to block him, and the BMW with shooters in it. Ranger goes forward at high speed, the BMW comes up on the right to scare them. Stop and you have a firefight. Ranger tries to block to the left, but the driver sees what they're trying to do, after loving up the robbers' fast mover. It was over after first contact, but you can't let them know that.
Driver eventually rams the BMW onto a bollard, then goes to work securing the crash site after destroying the truck he's driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

joat mon posted:

Jeez. Just let them grow beards.

Sounds like a job for... depilatory cream! Ever wonder what it would be like if you could shave with a butter knife? Never smelled and tasted burning hair? Would you like all your personal... shavings trapped in a thick cream for easy cleanup? (don't answer that) Just visit your local African-American focused beauty supply shop!

Seriously, if shaving is loving your poo poo up, try it. Prevents in-grown hairs pretty well and inhibits re-growth. Marine roommate of mine got me into it when patches of psoriasis traveled onto my face. Dude got horrible in-grown beard hairs, like they'd form pustules. I had worse, and his experience paid off.