Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I hope this isn't offtopic for this thread. I'm working on a videogame* that requires a lot of 3D models of military naval ship components -- things like deck guns, bridges, searchlights, the ship hulls themselves, torpedo launchers, etc. Basically everything from early WWI through end of the Cold War, ideally covering all the major factions. I'm gonna have to make the models myself, but it'd be a lot easier if I had a good supply of reference photos to work from. Does anyone know of a good resource where I can find photos like that? Haphazardly googling for things as I think of them isn't the greatest strategy, especially since there are probably things that I don't even know exist and thus won't know to search for them.

* Basically I'm trying to remake Warship Gunner 2, a build-your-own-battleship game for the Playstation 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'll be modeling things myself, it's just a lot easier to model them if I have an organized set of references to work from. Ideally I'd work from the source material instead of someone else's models, but second-hand work is definitely better than nothing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Naval Heritage and Historical Command has a huge library of photographs like this online. It's where I got most of the photos for my manuscript.

Sweet, thank you!

A few other sources I found or was directed to by others:

World's Fastest Battleship, a PDF about making the Iowa-class battleship, which has several very handy top-down and side-view layouts for various battleships. Super-easy to plonk into Blender and make a quick model from, this is basically the ideal source when I can find it. There's a few Wikipedia articles that have similar diagrams, but (like with this one) I pretty much have to know that the ship class exists before I can find diagrams.

...I guess what I should be doing is finding a listing of ships by era (like this Wikipedia list) and then using that to find ships to search for by name.

Navweaps.com is kind of disorganized but has a lot of information about naval weapons.

WW2DB has a ships section, again kind of disorganized but oh well.

Gettyimages has a section on the Imperial Japanese Navy, complete with some photos of Kantai Collection dolls, which you can buy for $500 (the photos, not the dolls)! :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks y'all.

I found some decent reference photos of the Lexington (BB-4, early US battlecruiser). Here's quick models of the hull, 12"x35 caliber deck guns, and bridge.

I'm gonna have to make a lot of models like these, and I'm not gonna spam the thread with 'em, but I wanted to show that I'm making use of the help you're giving me. :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Flikken posted:

Do you mean Iowa not Lexington?

This is the image I was using as a reference, with the caption included:

So if I have the wrong ship class, it's because the caption lied to me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Flikken posted:

Yeah, that was CC-1 that got converted into CV-2 during construction. BB-4 was USS Iowa, a pre dreadnought battleship

...huh, how bizarre. You're right, thank you for the correction. Guess I'd better update my internal designations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
When the US was trying to do missile launches, how many failures did we have like this before we got things working consistently?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Those are awesome, thank you for sharing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
All part of dehumanizing your opponents so you don't feel so bad about all the murdering you're doing.

(Agreed, in fact that entire video is pretty distasteful for me, it's pretty "we're killing people to patriotic music!")

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I dunno, for the, what, north of $100k that a military humvee costs, I feel like we could've gotten a much bigger spectacle by just aiming to produce a spectacle. At least send that thing to a monster truck rally and draw things out a bit.

...actually, now I'm curious what would happen if you drove over a military humvee in a monster truck.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Hit the self-destruct button, of course.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's also nice if when you're done killing people, the land you killed them on becomes useful for other purposes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'd argue that there's a qualitative difference between tools that efficiently kill people and tools that efficiently cripple people while subjecting them to a more-or-less lengthy period of debilitating suffering. The latter is worse than the former (which is not to be confused with the former being good), as it amounts to deploying torture as a weapon. On that basis it makes sense to ban most chemical weapons.

I'm not making a comment on the sword missile as I don't really feel like learning more about what it does.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's the US government equivalent to claiming that the Uighur concentration camps are for reeducation, and not for annihilation of an undesired culture. Or that Russia invaded Crimea to protect the Russians there. Grab that fig leaf and hold onto it hard, it's better (apparently) than admitting the truth.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Craptacular posted:

IDGI. The trees and the people next to the runway at the end of the clip are proportional to the plane. The cameraman is standing on a ridge/hill to the side of the runway. It looks like a real plane to me.

The style of the plane suggests a jetliner, like a 737 or something, and there's no way it's that big. You can get (or make) 1:4 scale RC jets, and this is probably something like that.

EDIT: here's a video showing a jet similar to the one in the hoax video. I guess technically it's big enough to be used as a drug mule...

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 11, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thank you. :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Blind Rasputin posted:

How does this work?

By my understanding: the guys on the ground are pushing the guy walking up the wall into the wall. This creates static friction sufficient to keep him from sliding down due to gravity. It's like using a clamp to hold something up.

That said, the guy doing the walking is in pretty drat good shape, considering he's transferring all that support force from his hands through to his feet with just muscle power. It looks like he put his left hand over the end of the pole, which helps (certainly easier than just gripping the pole with your fingers), but it's an impressive physical feat anyway.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Now I want to see a firefighting team using a catapult to fling enormous water balloons at buildings.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

This is essentially what helicopters on forest fires are doing and about as accurate lol

The helicopter approach has its appeal, but it lacks that certain ballistic panache that I'm looking for.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I remember reading (possibly apocryphal) about a navy pilot who was doing their preflight or something and figured, hell, let's push the "raise landing gear" button because surely the plane has an interlock somewhere to prevent the landing gear from being raised when the plane's on the ground, and I wanna see what happens. It didn't and the plane had to get very expensive repairs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'd guess the prop damage is due to the chassis being lower to the ground when landing without landing gear. Note that the props on the right side of the plane are completely stripped, and one blade on the left side is also missing; that being a direct consequence of a midair collision seems very unlikely, but it could easily be caused by the plane rolling a bit during the landing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What'd they do, open one of the torpedo tubes to release the air inside it?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

brains posted:

it's called a water slug; essentially an empty torpedo shot. torpedo tubes use a complicated mechanism of compressed air and valves to push a torpedo and water in the tube out at great force while balancing the pressure differentials. if the torp is left out of the equation, the same force is applied to a "slug" of water which exits the tube as a horizontal column.

Got it, thanks for the explanation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That is far from the most ridiculous Air Force sword I've ever seen