Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Destro posted:

why isn't the full video posted goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2mcO6l-0cY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

The Blackwater of Jihad
A consortium of elite, well-paid fighters from across the former Soviet Union are training jihadis in Syria. Their business model could go global.

quote:

The first iteration of PMCs in Syria was the Slavonic Corps, an ill-fated, Hong Kong-registered company comprising ex-Russian military that briefly worked alongside government forces in 2013, according to a report by the Interpreter magazine. But it quickly became clear that they did not have the full support of the Syrian government. First, the Syrian army stole their vehicles, then their paychecks never arrived, and finally a Syrian air force helicopter crashed into the Slavonic Corps convoy after flying too low and running into power lines, injuring one mercenary. The Slavonic Corps’ misadventures came to an end when the group disbanded after a defeat by rebels in the desert near the city of Sukhnah in southern Syria in October 2013. The mercenaries returned home to Moscow and were promptly arrested by the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) for their unsanctioned Syrian intervention.
:laffo:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

my kinda ape posted:

Remember when that guy got blown the gently caress up in an elevator? Good riddance.

It turns out that "Comrade Motorola" was actually "Comrade Samsung."

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I bought a book a couple weeks back because I loved the cover art, and today it arrived:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The Germans coated their tanks with a special barium-sawdust-wood glue paste to protect against magnetic anti-tank grenades, because they were worried the Russians would use magnetic anti-tank grenades against their tanks.

The Red Army never deployed a magnetic anti-tank grenade. Neither did the British or Americans.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/StolfWaffles/status/1159847286282702848

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

:ssh: roughly half of all applicants to the foreign legion after '45 were Germans, and the legion had several battalions at Dien Bien Phu :ssh:

Apparently the main source of FFL recruits after 1945 was Eastern Europeans fleeing Soviet occupation, not Germans, and in "Hell In A Very Small Place" Bernard Fall notes:

quote:

On March 12, 1954 - the day before the battle began in earnest - there were a total of 2,969 Foreign Legionnaires in the fortress, out of a garrison of 10,814. Of the almost 4,300 parachuted reinforcements, a total of 962 belonged to the Foreign Legion. Even if one wrongly assumes (there were important Spanish and Eastern European elements among the Legionnaires at Dien Bien Phu) that 50% of the Legionnaires were German, then only 1,900 men out of more than 15,000 who participated in the battle could have been of German origin.

He also notes that the average age of a Legionnaire in Indochina in 1954 was around 23 years, which means our hypothetical Dieters would have been 14 or so during the fall of Berlin.

The myth mostly comes from A) Communist propaganda and B) Nazi fanboys jacking off over the book "Devil's Guard" by Robert Lewis Elford which is entirely fiction and inspired SEALs to commit war crimes in Afghanistan. IIRC historians with access to the Legion's records apparently found that 100 or so ex-SS members had joined the Legion shortly after the war which was followed by a purge in 1947 when the French government noticed. Which is more than the US Army did.

What actually happened with the Germans was they either fled through Spain, or went home and then got jobs in the new governments and armies, on both sides of the Iron Curtain.

Now there was another group called BILOM, but that was comprised of French prisoners (general collaborators, ex-Vichy/Milice or SS Charlemagne volunteers) who had sentences under 15 years and were offered partial pardons for military service, but this wasn't part of the Legion and was essentially just a regular penal unit. From what I remember it was broken up in 1949-1950 due to both political concerns and a lack of volunteers, and most of them were either demobilized, sent back to prison, or ended up in other colonial units.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/TheWTFNation/status/1198040542334083073

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I swear I've seen a vehicle of an armored car flooding and everyone inside having to bail out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTDqcfPUTt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X79gNYpYO3k

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
That shoot house video makes the actors in that "FBI OPEN UP" video where they're falling through the ceiling/walls and destroying the place look like a competent tac team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Stens you could build in bicycle shop but I imagine they were a lot more repairs and fabrications back in the old shops. I wouldn't touch some of these behind a wall of sandbags pulling the trigger with a string

Apparently most of the big ethnic armies have their own weapons factories producing various weapons, aside from AKs (including the Yat-Thai, a craft produced 5.56x45mm AK clone made in the Shan/Chin states using M16 barrels) the Type 81 rifle has shown up (used by the Kachin Independence army, essentially the SKS evolved into a AK format) and the newer QBZ-03. (a AK style rifle firing the Chinese 5.8mm round, used by the government and the Wa State Army)

There's a lot of photos with extremely worn-out looking M16A1s with all the finish gone and sometimes hand-crafted wooden handguards. I saw one video where the soldier the cameraman was following spends most of it trying to get his rifle to cycle more than one round.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b336VTLGM68

The Kachin Army also produces a grenade launcher version of the Type 81.