Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I saw some circular chem trails over Mosul yesterday. I thought they had to be laid out in grids...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

God bless Red Adair.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

TCD posted:

It's Florida or Germany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWojvo6RKoQ

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

brrrrrrrrrrrrrt

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

No photos or video of this yet but I want this to really come to be.

http://www.defenseone.com/technology/2016/08/boeing-wants-patent-fire-fighting-howitzer-round/130991/?oref=d-river

quote:

Boeing Wants to Patent a Fire-Fighting Howitzer Round

Dropping fire suppressant material out of planes and helicopters is still relatively inefficient, albeit safer and faster than relying on trucks and firefighters on the ground. Got a blaze stretching over 883 acres? It will take more than 34 hours to airdrop the necessary 360,000 gallons of fire suppressant, according to the National Wildfire Coordinating Group’s Incident Response Pocket Guide. “During the 34.3 hour time period, the relatively large 883 acre fire has potential to grow and burn an estimated 3,130 acres of land,” the application notes.

Instead, Boeing suggests, firefighters might get the job done faster by launching salvos of special 155mm shells from a dozen or more miles away. Packed with fire-suppressant material, the shells are fired from a field howitzer — perhaps BAE Systems M777 or one of the models from Swedish arms dealer Bofors. The shell releases its load over the fire thanks to “a device comprising a timer, an altimeter, an accelerometer, a global positioning device, a temperature sensor, a pressure sensor, or a distance measuring device.”