Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

my wife, you son of a bitch

did you not know she used it prior to buying a chromebook? b/c its not like its some mystery that you need to use google services to use googles operating system on googles computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

sucks being poor with all these acres of grasslands and near-harvest pine forest sucks being poor but at least I got my wife a computer!

i wasnt making fun of anyone including yourself with my comment but yes the life of an impoverished farmer must be tough

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Neverware.com makes software to turn an old computer into a chomebook/box. I turned a bunch of old 2006 iMacs into chomeboxes and it owns.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

mishaq posted:

i wasnt making fun of anyone including yourself with my comment but yes the life of an impoverished farmer must be tough

an impoverished what?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

LastInLine posted:

did you not know she used it prior to buying a chromebook? b/c its not like its some mystery that you need to use google services to use googles operating system on googles computer

she uses it so often that she has forgotten her Skype password and her Skype username, yet the fact that Chrome OS doesnt support Skype natively annoyed her.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

she uses it so often that she has forgotten her Skype password and her Skype username, yet the fact that Chrome OS doesnt support Skype natively annoyed her.

lol

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I forget my skype password a lot, I'm pretty sure I have like at least 5 accounts

I'm not sure what it is about skype

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
tell your wife to give a fair chance to the chomebook

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like my chromebook, but I don't use anything on it but Chrome. IMO far and away the most frustrating part of ChromeOS is that it's regular Linux but you aren't allowed to do anything. If I turn on developer mode, I should be allowed to do retarded stuff like use the make command. You can install a second Linux distro and swap between them though.

They claim that Chromebook apps aren't Chrome apps, and they can run offline, but it's not true because even the Google ChromeOS apps don't work offline. Did I mention that all non-cloud files will get randomly overwritten when the SSD is full instead of just telling you to delete stuff.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

"This piece of poo poo cant even run Skype" - Moo Cow's darling wife, about an hour ago.

install a proper linux on it then, then you'll have skype

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Nah

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

eric posted:

Neverware.com makes software to turn an old computer into a chomebook/box. I turned a bunch of old 2006 iMacs into chomeboxes and it owns.

why would you ruin perfectly good stebe machines

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
sexist imho

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I value your opinion

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Silver Alicorn posted:

why would you ruin perfectly good stebe machines

They can only take 2GB of ram and run like piss on anything newer than 10.6. Making them chomeboxes will keep them going for a while since chrome can be updated on them (google will stop supporting 10.6-8 soon).

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

that's still dumb as hell. just install actual linux instead of gimped linux. chomebooks are attractive because of cheap rear end hardware, as an os its a pos

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

OldAlias posted:

that's still dumb as hell. just install actual linux instead of gimped linux. chomebooks are attractive because of cheap rear end hardware, as an os its a pos

:yeah:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

nah it's fine for emails and a little light browsing

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
namaste, my friend.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

OldAlias posted:

good news: google is retiring chome os, so future chomebooks will run on laptop anroid :thumbsup:

Last Chance posted:

This is what happens when your MacBook Pro sustains water damage.They are pro machines and they don’t like water. It sounds like you’re just looking for someone to get mad at other than yourself.

Steve

even lovely lenovo computers are spill proof

source: i dumped half a litre of corrosives through one and two years later it's still alive

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

lol, what fucker set the forums up to correct a n r o i d into Android with a d and proper capitalisation

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

THIS IS A TRAVESTY :argh:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it's been that way for a while.

Anroid.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

eric posted:

huh, neat

well this thread is full of bad decisions, might as well contribute some of my own. i'm gonna give this a whirl on my old samsung nc10 netbook

off to a good start:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
wow nice family/domestic abuse

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Can you install like gcc and python on a chromebook and use it as a slightly beefier raspberry pi?

Is it running linux or is it running chromium or whatever?

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
also

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

eric posted:

This is useful to me since I have a bunch of poo poo old computers and mointors and want to make some display terminals for free that just cycle through pictures all day.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

i'm gonna give this a whirl on my old samsung nc10 netbook

as an aside: man what a piece of trash this thing is, the trackpad is a little over 2" wide and just barely over an inch tall.

apparently the last time i booted it up was september 2013

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Stereotype posted:

This is useful to me since I have a bunch of poo poo old computers and mointors and want to make some display terminals for free that just cycle through pictures all day.

I used it to turn a bunch of old computers into internet machines to go on google classroom which all the kids at my school need.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
didn't read the thread but a real man would get his wife a MacBook IMO

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

you should have read the thread in its entirity.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cmykjester posted:

didn't read the thread but a real man would get his wife a MacBook IMO

farmers cant afford macbooks

they are however real men imho

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stereotype posted:

Can you install like gcc and python on a chromebook and use it as a slightly beefier raspberry pi?

Is it running linux or is it running chromium or whatever?

As far as I can tell they have a custom update program and there is no make or package installer or any way to install gcc without installing another OS or using Crouton.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

mishaq posted:

farmers cant afford macbooks

they are however real men imho

The farm next door fired a farm worker two days ago because the worker, a recovering alcoholic, repeatedly refused to drink beer with the other workers at the end of the day.

Farmers are real men, and good people.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
my chomebook is a p good machine for watchin streamin vidya stuff that still needs flash/has bad support on linux because proprietary drm shite. goog has enough pull with ~*content producers*~ that they can say "make ur poo poo work on chomeos because r customers" in a way that is a bit better than me keeping a windows machine full of viruses or paying megabux to get stebegear.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

NAT-T Ice posted:

windows machine full of viruses

well I guess.

if you're an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

my wife, you son of a bitch

*borat voice* nice!

• Locked thread