Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I think it's a bit better than Diamond Eyes actually, not quite as good as KNY. There's no tracks I'd consider skippable on here anyway. As well as the ones everyone's mentioned, I really like Pittura Infamante - it sounds kind of Around the Fur-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Phantom Bride is by far my favorite track, drat that's a good song.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I really liked this record until the last 3 tracks, then I got confused.

- the ending to "Gore" felt as long as the rest of the song and is hilariously dumb
- I didn't know about the Jerry Cantrell contribution to "Phantom Bride" the first time I listened to it and given that I spent a good deal of the album wondering what the gently caress Steph was doing with the guitar that pushed me off the edge to full-on bewilderment. I dig it now though despite the composition being so far outside their usual aesthetic.
- You can't tell that Vega has a 6-string with how treble-heavy the production is and frankly the bass is And Justice For All-invisible for much of the record
- for a finished record there are several parts that feel off-tempo, "Gore" in particular is a hot mess in that regard
- the production is very late 90s-early 00s and it's distracting at times

Otherwise though I really like this record and think it's even more experimental than White Pony. It's a step back but it's also promising in the same way Diamond Eyes was. This is dumb career-long fanboy poo poo but I think their next record will be the one I'm wanting to follow their best record to date in Koi No Yokan.

For the record imo:
s/t <<< saturday night wrist < adrenaline < b-sides & rarities < white pony = diamond eyes < around the fur < koi no yokan, not sure where gore fits yet

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 12, 2016

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

This album is tied with Saturday Night Wrist as my least favorite of theirs, I think. Been listening to it over the past couple days although I don't really feel compelled to. I think the overall monotonous sound of this one just kills any excitement I have for it.

My favorite track by far is Hearts/Wires which to me sounds like a successor of the KNY stuff- a little bit of Rosemary, a little bit of Gauze. I also like Prayers/Triangles and Phantom Bride, and most of Rubicon.

I'm trying to pinpoint what my lack of enthusiasm is stemming from and it might be that I just don't like the songs that sound like Chino trying to force Team Sleep stuff on the Deftones. I have a feeling that I would like a Steph-directed album more. I feel like song progressions in this album are set up to allow Chino to drawn-out singing, without real variation or musical interest in the vocals (like in Xenon, for example). Maybe I would like a handful of the tracks more if they weren't buried an album with two very obvious themes: 'dreaminess' and geometry.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

- the ending to "Gore" felt as long as the rest of the song and is hilariously dumb

Yea, I feel like this is a good example of how things sound drawn out for no good reason to me on this album generally. Maybe they thought that that part would sound super cool live? Even though everyone gets way more hyped for Adrenaline-heavy shows anyway.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Going to wait til I get home to give the album a listen too. Thanks for the new thread though. I have been putting off creating a new Deftones thread for a loooooong time out of laziness. Also it is balls that none of their shows are in Vancouver. I have seen them 4 times and twice were at a small (compared to an arena) setting and they have been awesome.
Also, I don't know what it is but I really like SNW while I know most goons don't. All their stuff post self-titled (which has some great songs but not a great album) has been solid, and I am glad that they are continuing to grow and experiment.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Deftones is one of the only bands where I can honestly say I like their "later" stuff much more than what came before. Diamond Eyes and KNY are fantastic, looking back on them now they definitely have a brother-sister kind of vibe going on where it sounded like they were made while the band was in the same headspace/mood.

Gore is growing on me, doesn't really feel as cohesive as the last two though. Still good.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

Madkal posted:

Going to wait til I get home to give the album a listen too. Thanks for the new thread though. I have been putting off creating a new Deftones thread for a loooooong time out of laziness. Also it is balls that none of their shows are in Vancouver. I have seen them 4 times and twice were at a small (compared to an arena) setting and they have been awesome.
Also, I don't know what it is but I really like SNW while I know most goons don't. All their stuff post self-titled (which has some great songs but not a great album) has been solid, and I am glad that they are continuing to grow and experiment.

What songs are you into on SNW? Do you agree that all recordings of Pink Cellphone should be burned in a massive bonfire, and the earth below salted?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Deftones is one of the only bands where I can honestly say I like their "later" stuff much more than what came before. Diamond Eyes and KNY are fantastic, looking back on them now they definitely have a brother-sister kind of vibe going on where it sounded like they were made while the band was in the same headspace/mood.

Gore is growing on me, doesn't really feel as cohesive as the last two though. Still good.

This is interesting to me, since I definitely adore their early-career stuff better. Around the Fur, White Pony, and Adrenaline are my top 3. I think I liked KNY so much because some tracks seemed to capture the energy of these earlier albums. I almost gave up after SNW and a general frustration with the band's public image, but Diamond Eyes brought me back; I think they did a great job of capturing the sex and violence feel that crops up in a lot of their tracks on that album. Speaking of Diamond Eyes, Bassnectar did a remix of Prince that I thought was pretty good/interesting/good background music for rote tasks.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Pink Cellphone is fine up until the first time it cuts out. If it had ended there I'd like it, and I still prefer it over Rapture and Mein even with the awful end part. Then again their self-titled is my favorite album of theirs, so what do I know.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'm currently on the road and haven't been able to really give the album a proper listen the way I would at home, but I like it quite a bit. Feels like they are pushing themselves in a few different directions but definitely it's a more atmospheric and reflective album which I like. I haven't seen many people mention the title track but I love the main riff in that song. Enjoying Pittura Infamante and Hearts/Wires quite a bit as well.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cubey posted:

Pink Cellphone is fine up until the first time it cuts out. If it had ended there I'd like it, and I still prefer it over Rapture and Mein even with the awful end part. Then again their self-titled is my favorite album of theirs, so what do I know.

I don't think S/T is my favorite but it's definitely up there for me, I don't get why so many people hate it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Fawwk I love this album, I've been listening to it pretty much nonstop since release and I keep enjoying it more.

It is interesting because despite it sounding like Steph was not really into making another album it is a very guitar-oriented album imo. Perhaps he got more free reign? Anyway I like it.

Current favourites: Pittura Infamente, Rubicon, Phantom Bride. Love the sweet licks in Rubicon, that keeps me coming back to play that one first usually.

Their discography is loving sick at this point.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't think S/T is my favorite but it's definitely up there for me, I don't get why so many people hate it.

It's my least favorite record of theirs but I still like it. The three singles are very good esp Bloody Cape, but I feel like too many of the songs sound the same. Like there are basically three Minervas in the 12(?) tracks and it lacks something overall that I can't put my finger on.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

matureaudiencesonly posted:

What songs are you into on SNW? Do you agree that all recordings of Pink Cellphone should be burned in a massive bonfire, and the earth below salted?

For more I find SNW to be their most melodic and probably accessible album. I don't want to say it's a "pop" album because of all that entails, but songs like Hole in the Earth, Cherry Waves, Xerxes, and Riviere are so easy to get into. I know people here don't like Mein but I think it is a near-great song (except for the guest vocals from Serj Tankin which aren't really needed). I guess there is a bit less experimentation in SNW but I find the songs on it to be tight enough. Pink Cellphone is probably the closest song you will get to them trying something different, and I don't hate that song too much but it does sound very out of place and probably should have been left for a b-side or something.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They played Prayers/Triangles and Hearts/Wires on Kimmel last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60RpaXx03yQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Z4nI2wmNY

Chino and Sergio really need to do something about their hair but the performances are solid.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What the gently caress apparently they played a show at amoeba records in Los Angeles last Monday. I'm never going to see these dudes live in LA.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
drat, Geometric Headdress is so good. Album has definitely grown on me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hey I saw they put out an official vid for Prayers/Triangles, and it's great looking. Probably my fav vid of theirs since "Sextape" (which is my personal favourite)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aztiwn17vpE

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

priznat posted:

Hey I saw they put out an official vid for Prayers/Triangles, and it's great looking. Probably my fav vid of theirs since "Sextape" (which is my personal favourite)

Be Quiet and Drive is the best 'band plays the song on camera' music video of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvknOXGPzCQ

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

This album was a little bit of a grower for me, but overall I like it. Of their more recent albums I like it more than Diamond Eyes but less than Koi No Yokan. Prayers / Triangles, Acid Hologram, Doomed User, Hearts / Wires, Pittura Infamante, Phantom Bride, and Rubicon are my favorite tracks so far, but none of them really blow me away. Ah well, as long as Chino / Deftones are making music I am happy.

Speaking of - what's next for Chino? Deftones are touring to support Gore through the summer (sad they aren't coming to Madison, Milwaukee, or Chicago) but after that...? More Palms (yes), Crosses (eh), Team Sleep (YES), or even Deftones (there were only two years between Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan)?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Had pretty much the exact same reaction to most of you - good, not as good as KNY (their best album to me). Definitely has a few great songs that hang with the upper tier they've done. Im really glad this band is pretty prolific and the members pump out new material consistently unlike some peer groups that we all know and (maybe) love.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

For the record imo:
s/t <<< saturday night wrist < adrenaline < b-sides & rarities < white pony = diamond eyes < around the fur < koi no yokan, not sure where gore fits yet

The fact I disagree with this so much just shows how good and varied their music is I guess. LIke I'd go roughly White Pony > KNY > AtF > s/t > Diamond Eyes > Adrenaline > SNW but I know there are plenty of other people who love Deftones that would disagree with both of us for different reasons.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Pittura Infamante is an amazing song. I don't think the whole album has grown on me yet, but that song is really dope.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

ruddiger posted:

What the gently caress apparently they played a show at amoeba records in Los Angeles last Monday. I'm never going to see these dudes live in LA.

They consistently kill it live. Saw them back in 06 on the taste of chaos tour when Chino was slamming beers and throwing them into the crowd, and also in Phoenix when he was chubby and sober(?). Worth the trip if you have to travel.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I'd say probably their second best album post white pony. I've been the car since release and I didn't really like it at first. Probably not as good as NKY but no insta skips like "gauze".

Also the 1 min intro on "wires" sucks and the initial 7 seconds on "acid holigram" are the best part.

Despera fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 22, 2016

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Despera posted:

Probably not as good as NKY but no insta skips like "gauze".

I love the variety of opinions in here so much. "Gauze" is my single favorite Deftones song.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, I'd say there are zero insta skips on KNY but Gore has several.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Quite A Tool posted:

They consistently kill it live. Saw them back in 06 on the taste of chaos tour when Chino was slamming beers and throwing them into the crowd, and also in Phoenix when he was chubby and sober(?). Worth the trip if you have to travel.

I saw them twice in Boston and they were great. I want to see them when they come through NYC this summer but GA tickets are literally $230 before fees and :laffo: get hosed Coney Island Amphitheater.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

owl_pellet posted:

Speaking of - what's next for Chino? Deftones are touring to support Gore through the summer (sad they aren't coming to Madison, Milwaukee, or Chicago) but after that...? More Palms (yes), Crosses (eh), Team Sleep (YES), or even Deftones (there were only two years between Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan)?

Well here is the answer to my own question in case anyone is interested:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/deftones-bad-brains-members-form-new-supergroup-20160428

It's one song, but based on the group membership I was expecting it to be more hardcore punk-ish and I was way wrong. Not sure if I like it as I'm not a big fan of squealy guitar solos but I'll listen to the album if/when it drops.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Inspector_666 posted:

I saw them twice in Boston and they were great. I want to see them when they come through NYC this summer but GA tickets are literally $230 before fees and :laffo: get hosed Coney Island Amphitheater.

Not to mention they're at a stage in their career where I can't imagine I'd hear much from Adrenaline and Around the Fur live. I'm sorry, I appreciate what they've done with their sound, but there's nothing like being in the crowd when Bored or Engine No 9 or loving Seven Words is playing.

My first concert was Deftones, after self-titled was released. I only knew White Pony and S/T. I managed to get to the front of the crowd before the encore started. That's when people started yelling "7 Words!!!" I was caught off guard and some older doods helped me get back out. It was amazing and a game-changer for me.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

^^FWIW I most recently (within the past three years) saw them in Boston as well and as far as I remember they played 7 Words. Actually come to think of it the majority of times that I've seen them live they've played that song. The best I've ever seen them was at Rockfest in Montebello, Canada, right after KNY come out, and it was a super Adrenaline-heavy set. So if ticket price isn't an issue for you it might still be worth seeing them!

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I think you guys sold me on seeing them live (though I haven't been to the festival pier or wherever that philly venue is).

As for Gore, I think it's fantastic. Unlike a lot of people, I actually liked it right off the bat. For what it's worth I've kind of had an rear end backwards way of getting back into them as I was totally out of the loop for Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan.

I'm really pleasantly surprised that the band continues to put out incredibly strong work. So far, I think Doomed User, Acid Hologram and Xenon are my favorites.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

SylvainMustach posted:

I think you guys sold me on seeing them live (though I haven't been to the festival pier or wherever that philly venue is).

I've heard horror stories about Chino being mad drunk for live shows but the 3-4 times I've seen them were incredible. And they always close with 7 Words. Each of the records tends to get a nod but they also haven't been back around my way since s/t era. Except one time they and Ghost were opening for Avenged Sevenfold and tickets in the upper bowl were over $100 and I just couldn't justify the cost since I wouldn't stay for the headliner. Still a bummer though, I think that was DE era.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I was sort of under the impression that they've cleaned up now.

Also, do you think their shows would be a selling point for someone straddling the line with them?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

SylvainMustach posted:

Also, do you think their shows would be a selling point for someone straddling the line with them?

Absolutely. Production wise their albums are all over the place and with the breadth of their catalogue they know how to stick to the bangers that get over live and not necessarily favoring their singles. For example, they've played Rickets every time I've seen them but I've never heard Change live, likely because though it's a good rear end song it doesn't get enhanced by the live environment.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just got home from seeing them live for the 4th time. As usual, they were a total blast. They played Rubicon, which I was super happy about, along with a lot of other live staples from their entire discography.

The opener (Code Orange) was loving terrible and a bad pairing with Deftones. The crowd was totally dead while they were playing, which was completely understandable because they sounded lovely and dated. But Deftones killed it, so by the end of the night, I wasn't that mad about it. But while it was happening, it was a huge buzzkill, especially since the 2 bands I had previously seen open for Deftones were Death From Above 1979 and Periphery who both kicked serious rear end.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

For example, they've played Rickets every time I've seen them but I've never heard Change live, likely because though it's a good rear end song it doesn't get enhanced by the live environment.
They played Change tonight and it totally does get enhanced by the live environment because literally everyone around me was singing along to it with me.

Also this show was at a 100 year old theater originally designed for stage plays I guess, so there are 2 balconies there, and it seemed like more people were sitting in the balconies than were standing on the floor, which seemed really odd to me. I was standing on the gate in the front row, as I have for all the other shows of theirs I've seen, and to me that seems like the only way to experience them live, since everyone up there with you gets super into the music and you can reach out and touch Chino when he gets right up to the gate. Being seated for a Deftones show seems awful to me. Their shows get me so hyped up that I can't imagine sitting for one.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 19, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Also this show was at a 100 year old theater originally designed for stage plays I guess, so there are 2 balconies there, and it seemed like more people were sitting in the balconies than were standing on the floor, which seemed really odd to me. I was standing on the gate in the front row, as I have for all the other shows of theirs I've seen, and to me that seems like the only way to experience them live, since everyone up there with you gets super into the music and you can reach out and touch Chino when he gets right up to the gate. Being seated for a Deftones show seems awful to me. Their shows get me so hyped up that I can't imagine sitting for one.

Floor tickets in venues like that have also become kind of ridiculous in pricing. The NYC show is like $75 per ticket for GA.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Inspector_666 posted:

Floor tickets in venues like that have also become kind of ridiculous in pricing. The NYC show is like $75 per ticket for GA.
Yikes. Maybe it just depends on the area? My ticket for last night's show was $35, and like $40 or so after fees. Compare that to the $100 ticket I got for DFA1979/Deftones/Incubus last year.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
As I mentioned, Deftones were my first concert. I saw them every time I could. Including Austin, TX in November 2006. I was visiting friends and checking out UT Austin.

I ended up showing up early.... real early. The radio station came by to setup the meet and greet for the however many number of lucky callers. I ended up help carrying stuff in for them... almost no one showed so I asked if I could join and explained that I was from MN, etc.

The guy was like "yeah, sure" which was great because I hadn't eaten all day.

So I got some free food and then I met the Deftones!

I asked Frank to hold me wedding-style. He was too cool for that. But Chi said sure!

I was up front and I saw Linus was guitar tech for the tour. I got his attention and ended up getting a couple picks that I later got signed when I saw them at First Ave a month later.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 20, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I've seen the Deftones about 4 times, twice in a mid-size venue and twice opening for other bands, and I got to say they rock out a lot better in smaller venues than in arenas. Also loving Ticketmaster charged nearly more for the smaller venue than for the large arena, so gently caress you Ticketmaster.

Anyway, I was going through their discography the other day and started wondering what was the best three songs on each of their albums. These were my picks, and please note that just because I picked the songs that I did does not mean I hate all the other songs, just that these three were my favourites

Adrenaline

One Weak
Lifter
7 Words

Around the Fur

Be Quiet and drive
Dai the Flu
Headup

White Pony

Feiticeira
RX Queen
Pink Maggot

S/T

Minerva
Bloody Cape
Moana

Saturday Night Wrist

Mein (well about 80% of song anyway)
Xerxes
Riviere

Diamond Eyes

Royal
You've seen the butcher
Prince

Koi No Yokan

Swerve City
Romantic Dreams
What happened to you?

Gore

Doomed user
Pittura Infamante
Xenon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Adrenaline
Minus Blindfold
Nosebleed
Engine No. 9

Around the Fur
*Be Quiet and Drive
Headup
MX

White Pony
*Feiticeira
*Korea
*The Boy's Republic

Deftones
Hexagram
When Girls Telephone Boys
Bloody Cape

Saturday Night Wrist
Hole in the Earth
Xerces
Rats! Rats! Rats!

Diamond Eyes
Royal
Rocket Skates
976-EVIL

Koi No Yokan
*Leathers
Gauze
Goon Squad

Gore
Prayers / Triangles
Doomed User
Rubicon

* = probably my top five Deftones songs. That was fun :)

• Locked thread