Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Thunderdome VII: Dirge of Faeries

So the most popular Thunderdome ever, Thunderdome 6 is almost over. Seems like it's time to start a new one! Same format: Pauper and MTGO only so get your Cockatrice and Xmage nonsense out of here.

So you want to play constructed Magic but you're too attached to your kidneys to sell them. My friend, I have just the thing for you: Pauper: the format of the poor kings.

What's pauper?

Pauper is a format where only cards that were printed at common on Magic: the Gathering Online (MTGO) are legal. So no Hymn to Tourach. Sorry!
So what's legal?

Every common aside from the ones that haven't been printed at common on MTGO, as well as a small ban list. Cloud of Faeries is legal for some reason.

So what's not legal?

Cloudpost
Cranial Plating
Empty the Warrens
Frantic Search
Grapeshot
Invigorate
Temporal Fissure
Treasure Cruise
Cloud of Faeries suck it forever

So what can you play in pauper?

What can't you play?! Some of the more common archetypes include:

Mono-black control
Blue-black control
Affinity
Mono-blue or Blue-black Delver
RUG Tron
UR Kiln Fiend Delver
Acid Trip

You can find a lot more archetypes here, and if you don't like anything I can try to help you find something else. There's a few decks that don't show up on there.

We'll be playing on MTGO.

Who's playing and what is their MTGO name?

suicidesteve – suicidesteve44 – RUG Tron
L0cke17 – lockeandload – Skred Control
Boco_t – boco_t – UR Goblin Storm
Lonely Bridge – Whataboutcats - Affinity
Lawnie - Lawnie - Elves
Checkplease – ch3ckplease – RG Madness
rimusutera – shhkari – UB Delver
DAD LOST MY IPOD - Sygerrik - Dredge
Static Equilibrium – pootmachine – UR Kiln Fiend
frozen_ flame – frozen_flame – Mono-Black
ShaneB – shanebeeps – Izzet Blitz
Necronomicon – deadmoscow – Izzet Blitz
The Minister – themin – UB Delver
The Peavstenator – ThePeavstenator – White Weenie
Chamale – Chamale – Elves
Hellsau – Hellsau – UB Teachings
CompeAnansi – CompeAnansi – Affinity
Fingers McLongDong - FingersMLD - Turbo Fog
thelawinator – thelawinator – Mono-black
rinski - WotC_VNDR_MarkB - Acid Trip
voyager 1 - VoyagerI – 8-Whack
playground tough – jackiefabric – Bogles
Pwnguin – magicstern – Izzetron
MisterOblivious – misteroblivious – Burn
The Shortest Path – theshortestpath – Affinity
uruloki - uruloki - Turbo-fog

Things currently available to borrow:

GW Sliver Stompy
UWR Value minus the white artifact lands
RUG Tron or Acid Trip (whichever I don't play)
Dredge

A very special announcement on how to report your score

Please announce your match results in the following way:
Your Score - Your Opponent's Score

You'll get one warning.

suicidesteve posted:

Ok so now the last one is over and it's time to start figuring out what's going on here! Congrats to DAD LOST MY IPOD for saving us form having Burn win a tournament! Also congrats to Mikujin for 2nd place. Everyone else, I expect better from you.

So I reckon 2 weeks from last Sunday (which is to say March 6th) should be enough time for everyone who's interested to get in. Make sure you post your MTGO name. I kinda like the idea of allowing for a change of decks if you lose a match and keeping the decks if you win. I still have most of several decks for people to borrow, though you may have to provide some staples like Mulldrifters, Journey to Nowhere, and artifact lands.

So here's what I want everyone to do:

Post your MTGO name and the archetype you plan to play. Don't post or send me your specific deck lists.

After each round if you've lost you'll be allowed to change your archetype, or make changes to your deck list before the next round's pairings are up. So it would be in your best interest to have an idea of whether you're switching, and what to, before you play your match.

New pairings will be posted around noon EST Monday. The usual stuff applies: if you don't play your match and don't post, you're dropped. If you're unable to play your match but would like to stay in the tournament just post and let me know and you'll get a match loss. If a match isn't able to be played in time but both players have made a reasonable effort (ie if both players posted and one person's availability for the week isn't 3AM Tuesday) it will be a draw. I can give time extensions for extenuating circumstances, so just let me know if something major comes up. I think we all agree that we'd rather have a cool, interesting tournament that's a little slower than normal than have someone lose a match because their dog died or whatever happens.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Sign me the gently caress up, same name here as in game. Do we need to keep using the same deck forever? I don't see what goes wrong if we just bring a different deck each week or use the same one, it isn't like decklists are going to be public. Also Cloud of Faeries should have been banned back when Cloudpost bit the dust.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I'm in again. lockeandload on mtgo. Will we be posting deck archetypes/decklists? Or completely blind?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Cactrot posted:

Up for this as Cactrot on MTGO, undecided on what to play.

Suggest we use a template for reporting results, where number of game wins are explicitly called out like:

code:
Cactrot / Jerkcafe
X  / Y

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 17, 2016

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

DOUBLE POSTING?! NEVER!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Sign me up and this time I won't play a really bad deck I'll just play a regular bad deck

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Yeah hell with it I can join. Same name on MTGO. May as well be a terrible player for a purpose

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
I'm in. Joekullhops on MODO and I will figure out what deck to play once I return the one I'm borrowing and look at prices.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

I'm in as Whataboutcats

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm in. Same name on MTGO. I have more fun playing elves so I have a mono G stompy deck I could lend out.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

I'm in again. lockeandload on mtgo. Will we be posting deck archetypes/decklists? Or completely blind?

Yeah I think just knowing archetypes is probably best. It seems like it worked pretty well last time.

Does anyone have a preference on keeping decks through the whole tournament? Depending on how many rounds we get, something like VSL where we can change decks every 2 weeks could be cool. Maybe have 3 decks and then if you make top 8 you choose one of those 3 decks to play each round? I'm just worried that people that don't own multiple decks will get screwed by that. I've got/can build most decks that don't involve multiple $6 commons so I'd be on board with it.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah I think just knowing archetypes is probably best. It seems like it worked pretty well last time.

Does anyone have a preference on keeping decks through the whole tournament? Depending on how many rounds we get, something like VSL where we can change decks every 2 weeks could be cool. Maybe have 3 decks and then if you make top 8 you choose one of those 3 decks to play each round? I'm just worried that people that don't own multiple decks will get screwed by that. I've got/can build most decks that don't involve multiple $6 commons so I'd be on board with it.

I think that if you lose a match you should have the option to switch before the next week, but you should choose your new archetype before the next pairings go up. Same with lists. If you lose you can make changes, but if you win you gotta keep with what you've already got.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I'm in. Gonna play some green thing. Mtgo: alwaysbeclosing

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

I think people should be able to freely change decks, but maybe not lists, between matches, but must inform their opponent (specifically) and the thread ahead of time. I only have a couple decks and I don't know how they'll do against this particular meta, but I don't really mind playing only 2 decks while others can play 4 if they want. It doesn't really hinder my enjoyment of the thing.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I am in again. ch3ckplease on mtgo. Got a couple new decks to try now.

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003
I'm in

notbrant on MODO also.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Im in if I can borrow a deck.

shhkari on modo

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I'll roll, but I'd like to play something besides Goblins. Anyone have a deck to lend?

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Rimusutera posted:

Im in if I can borrow a deck.

shhkari on modo

I can lend Mono Black Control, if you want?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I'll roll, but I'd like to play something besides Goblins. Anyone have a deck to lend?

I've got burn, Delver fiend and infect on loan to anyone that wants them.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Frozen_flame posted:

I can lend Mono Black Control, if you want?

Id be interested in piloting this and, if you're still willing to just buy it for me, UB Delver the most. That said infect, Jeskai Kuldotha, burn and acid rain are also all decks I'd be super into borrow from those willing to lend them out.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 20, 2016

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Cactrot posted:

I've got burn, Delver fiend and infect on loan to anyone that wants them.

I'd like to borrow a burn deck, if you don't mind. Same name as here.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

I'm in for this thing. pootmachine on MTGO.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

dead in the last top 8 lets roll again.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'm in for this one too

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ok so now the last one is over and it's time to start figuring out what's going on here! Congrats to DAD LOST MY IPOD for saving us form having Burn win a tournament! Also congrats to Mikujin for 2nd place. Everyone else, I expect better from you.

So I reckon 2 weeks from last Sunday (which is to say March 6th) should be enough time for everyone who's interested to get in. Make sure you post your MTGO name. I kinda like the idea of allowing for a change of decks if you lose a match and keeping the decks if you win. I still have most of several decks for people to borrow, though you may have to provide some staples like Mulldrifters, Journey to Nowhere, and artifact lands.

So here's what I want everyone to do:

Post your MTGO name and the archetype you plan to play. Don't post or send me your specific deck lists.

After each round if you've lost you'll be allowed to change your archetype, or make changes to your deck list before the next round's pairings are up. So it would be in your best interest to have an idea of whether you're switching, and what to, before you play your match.

New pairings will be posted around noon EST Monday. The usual stuff applies: if you don't play your match and don't post, you're dropped. If you're unable to play your match but would like to stay in the tournament just post and let me know and you'll get a match loss. If a match isn't able to be played in time but both players have made a reasonable effort (ie if both players posted and one person's availability for the week isn't 3AM Tuesday) it will be a draw. I can give time extensions for extenuating circumstances, so just let me know if something major comes up. I think we all agree that we'd rather have a cool, interesting tournament that's a little slower than normal than have someone lose a match because their dog died or whatever happens.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'm in but idk what to play

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

I'm already set for a deck, right up until I get dredge'd R1

Frozen_Flame - Kuldotha Jeskai

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Lawnie - elves

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

lockeandload- I will be playing a similar skred control pile. With a couple cards that were inexplicably missing the first go-round.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Has anyone from the UK made the timings work in these? Is so what kind of time did you get your games played?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Well I just made a Pauper deck. Might as well get my poo poo pushed in in a metagame I know nothing about.

shanebeeps is my MTGO name. Playing Delver.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

DoctorOozy posted:

Has anyone from the UK made the timings work in these? Is so what kind of time did you get your games played?

I guess not. So let's see if I can make this work. I am a somewhat flexible at the weekend and I love me some pauper.

MTG name: Oozy
White W

DoctorOozy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 26, 2016

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Decided, I'll be playing Slivers because it is a fun and cool deck.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cactrot posted:

Decided, I'll be playing Slivers because it is a fun and cool deck.

Did you figure out a way to draw exactly 2-4 lands and never 1 land or 5+ lands? Because I couldn't. It's probably much better now that it doesn't get wrecked by Cloud into Sprite but it was just too vulnerable to flooding for me to get Slivers to work.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Hellsau posted:

Did you figure out a way to draw exactly 2-4 lands and never 1 land or 5+ lands? Because I couldn't. It's probably much better now that it doesn't get wrecked by Cloud into Sprite but it was just too vulnerable to flooding for me to get Slivers to work.

Were you running any commune with nature's? They've been helpful, but I do have a bad time with Mulligans anyway.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
ch3ckplease- I think ill be playing some type of madness

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I'm on UB Delver.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I'll play, MTGO name is deadmoscow and I'll be playing Izzet Blitz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmericanPsychonaut
Dec 5, 2005

Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God. It even has a watermark.
Signing up for this - MTGO name is Themin. I'll give UB Teachings a go.

• Locked thread