Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I'll be in tonight.

Steve, imagine you got a note from me made from letters cut out from magic cards: wE HAvE yOur dREdGe DeCk...

I don't negotiate with terrorists.

Also your prize packs are probably worth more than the entire deck twice over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Why is Delver legal in this format?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

suicidesteve posted:

Why is Delver legal in this format?

because WotC doesn't bother trying to ban cards that are grossly overpowered when the stars align, and merely great otherwise. Delver, blind flip is just as irritating now as it was in standard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hellsau posted:

because WotC doesn't bother trying to ban cards that are grossly overpowered when the stars align, and merely great otherwise. Delver, blind flip is just as irritating now as it was in standard.

I'm getting really tired of playing it 2.5x per league and losing to turn 1 Delver on the play, turn 2 flip Spellstutter/Counterspell, turn 3 Delver + Spellstutter/Counterspell.

Every single game I've played this week has ended because of turn 1 Delver, turn 2 or 3 Delver.

Edit: speaking of, has anyone found the meta to be extremely screwed? The last 4 or 5 leagues have been like 2-3 Delver and 2-3 aggro decks. I've seen Tron once and UB once and nothing else.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 22, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Guess it's time to get on the Jeskai train, then.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Anyone who doesn't claim their prizes in 1 (one) week (7 days) from today (Monday-ish) will forfeit them and add them to the prize pool in the next Goon league.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Yeah I'm done with this format on MTGO for a while. In about 5 leagues I've played on average less than one non-aggro deck in 5 matches. Half of them mono-green Stompy who always draw the perfect cards.

AND GET YOUR PACKS YOU HAVE 3 DAYS.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah I'm done with this format on MTGO for a while. In about 5 leagues I've played on average less than one non-aggro deck in 5 matches. Half of them mono-green Stompy who always draw the perfect cards.

AND GET YOUR PACKS YOU HAVE 3 DAYS.

Back in the day, I used to play UR Cloudpost. You always had the option to build Post in such a way that you could absolutely slaughter Delver and Infect (and the random stupid poo poo like White Weenie) but if you did that, you'd lose to Storm. You could build it in a way that you'd reliably beat Storm, but then you'd be a dog to Infect and Delver.

There's gotta be a way to build UR Tron or UR control such that you could stomp all on Delver and Stompy and the like, even if you have to sacrifice your ability to outgrind Jeskai or UB or whatever. If the metagame is that inbred, you might as well give it a shot. Just jam 4 Flame Slash 4 Firebolt 4 Lightning Bolt and some of those threshold 5 damage wraths. With Cloud gone, as long as you can reliably get the turn one removal spell for Delver, they can't really put enough pressure on you, and eventually their threats are just hilariously poor even if they can use cantrips to avoid drawing lands.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Back in the day, I used to play UR Cloudpost. You always had the option to build Post in such a way that you could absolutely slaughter Delver and Infect (and the random stupid poo poo like White Weenie) but if you did that, you'd lose to Storm. You could build it in a way that you'd reliably beat Storm, but then you'd be a dog to Infect and Delver.

There's gotta be a way to build UR Tron or UR control such that you could stomp all on Delver and Stompy and the like, even if you have to sacrifice your ability to outgrind Jeskai or UB or whatever. If the metagame is that inbred, you might as well give it a shot. Just jam 4 Flame Slash 4 Firebolt 4 Lightning Bolt and some of those threshold 5 damage wraths. With Cloud gone, as long as you can reliably get the turn one removal spell for Delver, they can't really put enough pressure on you, and eventually their threats are just hilariously poor even if they can use cantrips to avoid drawing lands.

How about Grixis with 15 main deck kill spells? Should that be good enough to not lose to them? Because it's not somehow.

I'm not even talking about Delver. I'm talking the mono-red 1 mana 2/2s, green stompy that somehow always has Nest Invader for the Edicts and Vines for the Terminates, Burn, Goblins, etc.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

How about Grixis with 15 main deck kill spells? Should that be good enough to not lose to them? Because it's not somehow.

I'm not even talking about Delver. I'm talking the mono-red 1 mana 2/2s, green stompy that somehow always has Nest Invader for the Edicts and Vines for the Terminates, Burn, Goblins, etc.

Edicts are pretty poo poo right now. If I had a better instant answer to beefy black critters like Angler I wouldn't play any Diabolic Edicts in Teachings. Also it sounds like your Grixis deck is just bad mate.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I've been having good luck with the UW reality acid deck against aggro. All your dudes are better than theirs and net you card advantage to boot, you run a decent amount of life gain so that you don't die before getting the card advantage engine online, and you can sideboard into even more life gain or CoPs to bone mono R/G. Delver is tricky (but interactive and fun!), and I assume the kiln fiend decks are just an awful matchup (have yet to see one in a league with this particular deck), but other aggro strategies are just a great matchup in my experience.

Edit: I mean clearly this doesn't help you if you want to play lands that tap for a bunch of colorless, but half the reason Cloudpost could deal with the aggro decks was you could gain a bunch of life off glimmer post so it might just not be possible to replicate that archetypes success there with tron.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 27, 2016

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Since there isn't a pauper specific thread, I'm going to post this here: EMA was fully spoiled and there are tons of downshifted cards. The format is getting a shake up and the card I'm most excited about is Peregrine Drake at common! Esper familiar is back, baby. Also, Kird Ape at common on MTGO. Here is a gallery of all the new cards to the format: https://imgur.com/a/c4l3M/layout/horizontal

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You don't even necessarily need familiars right? Mneomonic Wall + Peregrine Drake + Ghostly Flicker is infinite mana and ETB triggers without any other cards.

Pwnguin
Sep 22, 2004
Is Rally the Peasants (replacing Guardians' Pledge) good enough to make some sort of R/W Soul Sisters token deck viable?

Edit: actually unless you're planning on some Impact Tremors strategy the addition of rally and bolt probably aren't enough to justify making the manabase worse

Pwnguin fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 27, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Pwnguin posted:

Is Rally the Peasants (replacing Guardians' Pledge) good enough to make some sort of R/W Soul Sisters token deck viable?

Edit: actually unless you're planning on some Impact Tremors strategy the addition of rally and bolt probably aren't enough to justify making the manabase worse

Actually yes, Rally is nuts in a tokens deck because it let's you swing for giant chunks of life without just going all in.

Night's Whisper is a great card at common, either giving MBC eight Signs in Blood or given a two color deck a reasonable two mana dovination. Desperate Ravings would be incredible if Storm was around still, and I'm sure there's some weird graveyard deck that wants Ravings. Elvish Vanguard can slot into Elves and just gives it a beefy creature - the top end used to be Lys Alana Huntmaster, which is fine and gives you a bunch of tokens, but people already want board wipes against the main strategy of just playing a buncha elves. This leaves a 15/15 or whatever behind if they do have the Crypt Rats.

Also Drake is going to get Ghostly Flicker banned. Mono blue control can go from having, say, two bouncelands and three islands with no board, into Drake, Wall, Flicker for infinite mana, play a Mulldrifter, draw the deck, play Sage, deck the opponent. Without being forced to even play other colors for the Familiars, the deck is dumb and too good. Gonna go build MUFlicker right now.

e: also it isn't like Drake is embarrassing to play by itself, it's a 2/3 flier. It blocks Spire Golem and lets you keep up counterspell mana. The card is good.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 27, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This poo poo is gonna make pauper so goddamn expensive.

EDIT: Actually you can probably just get the 1 cent uncommon copies of all of these cards from previous printings so never mind I'm dumb.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 27, 2016

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Don't even need bounce lands with Peregrine Drake. In fact they'd probably just make the deck less consistent. It's all over, folks. Pauper was pretty nice these last few weeks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

TheLawinator posted:

Don't even need bounce lands with Peregrine Drake. In fact they'd probably just make the deck less consistent. It's all over, folks. Pauper was pretty nice these last few weeks.

I like bouncelands in UB Teachings since they allow you to cheat on your landcount, and I'll probably end up running at least a few as just 1U karoos even if I don't end up splashing white for sideboard options and Lone Missionary. But yeah you can just have six islands in play, play Drake, Flicker Drake and a Sea Gate Oracle or whatever, and then have enough mana to go off and that's pretty stupid. Okay welp goodbye Ghostly Flicker you broken piece of poo poo.

e: wait, uh I think this is way more broken than I gave it credit for:

Five Islands
Play Drake
Untap 5 Islands
Play Ghostly Flicker, tapping five islands and floating UU, targeting Drake and a tapped Island
Tap the Flickered Island, UUU floating, untap five Islands
Play Wall, getting back Flicker, use the floating UUU to flicker Wall and Drake and go off

Ghostly Flicker needs to be banned. This is infinite mana with 3 totally playable cards in one color that gives you infinite mana with only five basics in play, and 4 Mulldrifter 4 Sea Gate Oracles (which a mono blue deck would already run) gives you a method to draw your deck, find the Sage/Capsize, and win the game.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 27, 2016

Pwnguin
Sep 22, 2004
We need a pre-emptive ban just for how horribly tedious infinite mana combos are to play with and against on mtgo. I wasn't around when familiars was legal, was it as awful as I imagine?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pwnguin posted:

We need a pre-emptive ban just for how horribly tedious infinite mana combos are to play with and against on mtgo. I wasn't around when familiars was legal, was it as awful as I imagine?

Yep. Either you scooped because you were dead and wanted to play Magic or you made them go through it and sat there for 10 minutes then got to watch them do it again 3 minutes later and hoped they timed out.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I want Warden of Evos Isle to be good but I can't see it happening.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Pwnguin posted:

Someone managed to trick LSV into playing Pauper Familiars on stream. He never lost, and he never had fun, and his opponents never had fun, and no one watching the stream had fun. The deck was bananas and only balanced by the fact that it ate away at your soul if you played it.

also this drake deck is busted as gently caress

e: http://pastebin.com/gnAHtFPY

This deck is totally insane because I forgot Archaeomancer existed which gives the deck a reasonable four-drop, and Gigadrowse is pretty goddamned good as a split card of Fog and Mana Short.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 27, 2016

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Allowing the familiars deck to run more disruption and a more consistent mana base seems like pretty much the worst of all possible worlds w/r/t pauper.

On the other hand, once they ban peregrine drake or flicker or whatever, maybe my UG madness tempo deck will finally be good with the addition of nimble mongoose...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Static Equilibrium posted:

Allowing the familiars deck to run more disruption and a more consistent mana base seems like pretty much the worst of all possible worlds w/r/t pauper.

On the other hand, once they ban peregrine drake or flicker or whatever, maybe my UG madness tempo deck will finally be good with the addition of nimble mongoose...

Just ban the loving Ghostly Flicker already Wizards, it's too high power level for the format.

lol it's going to be another year before they ban the deck out

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Just ban the loving Ghostly Flicker already Wizards, it's too high power level for the format.

lol it's going to be another year before they ban the deck out

Pretty much. Familiars was obnoxious when the loop required a bunch of ancillary pieces and they had to play >1 color, I can't wait to see how unpleasant the mono U version with a more streamlined combo will be....

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I could also see Warden of Evos Isle being played in the flicker deck as a type of familiar, just run mulldrifters and flying garbage until you go off. Gives you a bit of fair game.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Please don't give us a new tedious infinite mana deck, Wizards.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Please don't give us a new tedious infinite mana deck, Wizards.

unless they plan on the first emergency ban being for Pauper, we'll have this poo poo until the end of July.

e: yeah this feels like playing Splinter Twin:

if you don't want to play this deck and don't want to play an absurd metagame deck specifically to defeat this (which I don't think is possible due to how the combo functions) you're probably going to be taking a two-month vacation from Pauper. Gigadrowse is bananas, Archaeomancer isn't a "may" ability so it takes much fewer clicks to do this compared to the three-color version, it can find the pieces very easily with all the card selection, and it just wins when it hits 5 mana. Can we just do a Thunderdome after EMA goes online where blue cards or blue mana are banned? This poo poo is ridiculous.

e: After getting setup, I can mill 40 cards in 3 minutes. Seems good.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 28, 2016

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Yeah, that seems... obnoxious. I obviously can't promise anything but I'll at least bring it up to people.

Also, thanks for hosting this, steve! A fun time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

rinski posted:

Yeah, that seems... obnoxious. I obviously can't promise anything but I'll at least bring it up to people.

Also, thanks for hosting this, steve! A fun time.

No problem. I'm going on vacation in a few days but I'll probably run another one in like 2-3 weeks.

• Locked thread