Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Covski posted:

I'm glad you all seem to be enjoying the the game so much!

This turned out to be more fun than it sounded at first glance. also it's corny as poo poo but the little facts here and there are pretty interesting

Cool thread, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

This LP inspired me to spend hours fruitlessly trying to find a way to buy this game. Looks like 2010 is the only one available for sale, and it's sort of expensive for something that possibly won't run well on a Win10 box.

There is a demo of 2007 kicking around the internet, though, and it's super easy to cheese the 3-life limit

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Not gonna lie, I kinda wanted to continue playing as Xiao at the end there, Crusader Kings style.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

My most successful run ever of this game was the time I played a mentally retarded salesman with 10 adopted children who suddenly decided to emigrate to North Korea.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

HardDisk posted:

Not gonna lie, I kinda wanted to continue playing as Xiao at the end there, Crusader Kings style.

That's one thing I do kind of wish you could do with the game -- play on another generation or two. I totally get why you can't, given what the game aims to do, but it would be nice. Sometimes you get really attached to your fake virtual person.

Also, in the new run, if we get generated into China again, maybe regen until we're somewhere else? Not sure how other people in the thread feel about that, but we'd at least get a new set of fun facts.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Is this ok for a banner or is it too big?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

nerdpony posted:

Also, in the new run, if we get generated into China again, maybe regen until we're somewhere else? Not sure how other people in the thread feel about that, but we'd at least get a new set of fun facts.

I'm all for diversity. It's an eductional LP after all.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Yeah, definitely try a new country.

*fingers crossed for DR Congo*

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, not repeating circumstances seems wise. Maybe not a blanket ban on being born in China -- if we happen to get absurdly lucky and spawn as the child of a party inner circle member, for example, that'd be worth exploring. But there seems little point in playing similar lives over and over again.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

nerdpony posted:

That's one thing I do kind of wish you could do with the game -- play on another generation or two. I totally get why you can't, given what the game aims to do, but it would be nice. Sometimes you get really attached to your fake virtual person.

Actually I think the way death is handled in the game works really well, especially in those cases where you are a bit invested in the character and maybe have future plans for them or what to see what happens to your children or whatever: You can't, because you're dead. The world supposedly keeps going on without you, but you're not there to see it. Death in the game is really understated, but somehow manages to be quite effective imo, what with the finality of it. A large part of that would be lost if you could going on, even if it's with another character. But that might just be me, of course.

And yeah I'll absolutely make sure that the next life will take place somewhere else (unless we get an extremely interesting chinese person), and avoid any characters with too similar life situations to Yu - I want to show off as diverse lives as possible, and having to sit through all the China factoids again wouldn't be all that fun.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Is this ok for a banner or is it too big?

Maybe something a bit less tall if possible? It doesn't have to be flashy or anything, just something a bit more visually interesting than a simple link :)

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

More like that?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

That's great, thanks!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hang Yu. We can say a lot about him. He was a monster in human flesh. He stole, he bribed, he conned. He was a danger to others and to himself. He smoked, he drank, and he did all the drugs known to man and some only known to dolphins. Despite being a Communist he lived like the most capitalistic of pigs, with constant luxuries that he did not need and only accelerated his premature death. He had no conscience to speak of, and no regards towards any other person until very late in his life.

Loving husband and loving father. Nobody knows how. His marriage to one of the most beautiful women in China surpirsed us all, as did having a child late in his life. That he managed to gain even the slightest bit of a soul before his excesses caught up to him was the greatest surprise of them all.

Rest in peace, Hang Yu. The world is probably better off without Yu.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I like to think that Xiao-Xia's eulogy of her father was in keeping with the lessons he taught her:

"gently caress Yu, got mine."

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

I like to think that Xiao-Xia's eulogy of her father was in keeping with the lessons he taught her:

:drat:

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

Covski posted:

Actually I think the way death is handled in the game works really well, especially in those cases where you are a bit invested in the character and maybe have future plans for them or what to see what happens to your children or whatever: You can't, because you're dead. The world supposedly keeps going on without you, but you're not there to see it. Death in the game is really understated, but somehow manages to be quite effective imo, what with the finality of it. A large part of that would be lost if you could going on, even if it's with another character. But that might just be me, of course.

No, you're totally right.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

CirclMastr posted:

:boom:

got a pretty good laugh out of that one

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
What are Xiao's stats, anyway? Can you even check that? I was just wondering if Yu raised a little monster or if she someone ended up alright.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

The life of Rasuna Irawan, part one

Age 0

A baby girl is born in a small Indonesian village. Her parents name her Rasuna, after the Indonesian national hero Rasuna Said.

She doesn't seem fated to be a very exceptional person, and the village is a pretty poor place to live.

Rasuna is the youngest of six children, with four older brothers and one older sister.

This is one of the largest families I've ever been born to in the game.

Rasuna's home.

Politically, Indonesia isn't such a bad place to live, if you ignore the rampant corruption.

While there are very few television sets and cars in the nation, the economic situation is unremarkable. In fact, Indonesia has a quite low economic inequality, as indicated by the Gini coefficient.

The health situation is also unremarkable when compared internationally, but there are a lot of people with too little to eat.

Rasuna's mother finds herself a part time job, earning a bit of cash helping the local doctor take care of the sick people in the village.

Manusama, Rasuna's second oldest brother who confusingly has the same name has her father, begins school.

Age one

The family's minimal diet starts to show, as a lack of protein means that none of her older siblings are developing physically the way they should.

Even so, her family has afforded to buy a used radio as well as expand their house a bit. About time, since living eight people in a single room was getting a bit cramped.

Rasuna's sister starts school.

Her youngest brother has a bout of measles, but luckily manages to shake it off, without infecting any other family members.

Age 2

Manusama (the brother, not the father), has worms. A lot of worms. Luckily, Rasuna is too young to be disgusted by it.

Her sister gets them as well. Yuck.

Her second youngest brother goes off to school as well. The house starts to feel less crowded now that only Rasuna and her youngest brother are home during the day.

Age 3

Rasuna develops a goitre.

Thread goitre count: 2

Apparently child food poisonings are a thing in Indonesia as well. You'll note that it seems incredibly rare here compared to China though.

New country, new facts! Counties with a huge amount of spoken languages have always fascinated me a bit, coming from a decidedly monolingual European country.

Age 4

Even as a small child, Rasuna is fascinated by the stories of the Indonesian independence, mostly because of having a namesake who was involved in the process.

Fighting breaks out on Bali. Rasuna is still too young to understand much of what they say on the radio.

Her younger brother starts school. Rasuna is now the only child too young to attend.

Age 5

Peace returns to the country.

With their children growing up, the parents decide it is time for them to look farther away from the village to find more lucrative work. The children need to eat a lot more now that they're entering their teenage years, after all.

Rasuna's oldest brother catches malaria :ohdear: Luckily he is a strong child, and recovers quickly.

The family's woes continue, as Hadjar is hit by a speeding car while playing on the road, suffering quite severe injuries. The doctor says he will be back to full health eventually, but it may take him years to recover fully.

Another quite interesting fact! I can imagine it's not easy to get anything done with such a system.

Geography fact!

Wait, why are we getting hinduism fact? I'm certain that our family was muslim. Are we crypto-hindus? :raise:

Age 6

Rasuna has a baby brother! :3: Really, mom and dad? You felt we needed another family member? I blame a lack of contraceptives, I suppose.

Rasuna finally begins school! She is very proud to be old enough to go learn things along with all her older siblings.

Now her mother has worms as well. :saddowns: That's what a lack of proper sanitation will do to you, kids!

Age 7

Our oldest brother has a girlfriend! Rasuna likes her, because she is also named Rasuna. Unfortunately, she also gets food poisoning.

Yep, the game lets you know all the stuff that happens to your siblings' partners as well. For the sake of keeping the updates to a reasonable size, I'll probably cut most of these out unless something particularly gruesome interesting happens to them. I'm sure well have a hard enough time separating all her six siblings as it is.

Yup, we still have a goitre. Thanks game! As far as I know, no other health problems have the game reminding you about them the way it does with goitres. It's almost as if the game is being self-aware about its love for thyroid issues :allears:

Climate facts! :eng101:

Growing up in a small house with approximately a gazillion siblings, Rasuna has learned that telling lies and keeping secrets is very difficult. At least for now, she'll be telling the truth. (I didn't want to break off the update for a vote just yet, so I went with what seemed appropriate for her.)

Brother-Manusama also has a girlfriend! She also has worms! As I said, I'll be cutting this out, but it's very fitting to me that the game usually let's you know that your siblings are in relationships by telling you about their disgusting diseases :allears:

Age 8

Rasuna is now old enough to shoulder the responsibility of deciding what to do with her free time!

The options are the same as always with kids, with the exception of not being able to watch television due to lack of owning a television to watch.

:toot: Her family's improved diet finally causes her goitre to subside. Rasuna feels better already!

Well, this really doesn't make moving to the city seem like that attractive of a prospect.

More hindu facts. I'll admit the source "www.hindukids.org" is amusing to me for some reason.

My suspicions turned out to be true! Somewhere along the line our family turned into hindus and started speaking another language as well! I've never seen this happen in the game before. While there are hindus in Indonesia, they are a very small minority.

Rasuna is a quite sad young girl, possibly due to deep seated feelings of inadequacy due to not really being good at anything. In fact, she's below average an almost every respect, and even as an eight year old she can sense it. The fact that she doesn't get much attention from her parents as they are distracted by the ailments and misadventures of her brothers probably doesn't help either. However, it is very funny to me that she has as much wisdom at eight as Hang Yu had at fifty-nine.

The water and medical situation has improved in the village, and the family can now afford to eat properly.

Rasuna and her family are decently healthy, although Hairun's bout with malaria has taken a toll on him, and Hadjar is still hurting from his car accident.

Also for the record at 2007 exchange rates the Indonesian rupee is roughly 9100 rupees to the dollar, so our total family income is roughly $275 per month. Adjusting this by the Big Mac index, this comes out to the equivalent of around $500 effectively.

Vote time! Pick up to five leisure activities for Rasuna!

Covski fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 25, 2016

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
If we're going to survive, we must become strong. Sports, Physical Training, Outdoor Activities.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

All in on Religious activities. If we're gonna be a religious minority, we're gonna be a religious minority.

Also the Hindu mela that gets held in my home city every year is cool as poo poo, idk if that even counts as a religious activity but it'd be a cool way to spend your free time

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 25, 2016

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Pretty high Conscience stat, so we should go with Volunteering and Religious Activities

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Reading, Physical, Outdoor, Volunteering

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Comrade Koba posted:

Pretty high Conscience stat, so we should go with Volunteering and Religious Activities

Might as well play to the strengths we have.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Sports, Physical Training, Outdoor Activities

Our gal gonna get swole

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Religious Activities, Volunteering, and Reading/Study

Rasuna has a strong moral backbone and an inspiration to live up to her namesake heroine :eng101:

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Comrade Koba posted:

Voting this. Also the ascariasis infection that our brother came down with is one of the most horrifying worm conditions. The way the worms get to your gut is that the larva chew their into your blood vessels through your intestines, break out into your lungs, grow for a few days, and then you cough them up and swallow them. If you're particularly unlucky, you can keep getting infected with more until your entire gut is stopped up with a horrible writhing mass of footlong worms. :science:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sports, Physical Training and Religion!

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

Shiki Dan posted:

Religious Activities, Volunteering, and Reading/Study

Rasuna has a strong moral backbone and an inspiration to live up to her namesake heroine :eng101:

Voting this as well.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

What are Xiao's stats, anyway? Can you even check that? I was just wondering if Yu raised a little monster or if she someone ended up alright.

Unfortunately, there's no way to see the stats of your children :( It's a shame, because the children are probably the ones where it would be most interesting.

ButtDoktor posted:

Also the ascariasis infection that our brother came down with is one of the most horrifying worm conditions. The way the worms get to your gut is that the larva chew their into your blood vessels through your intestines, break out into your lungs, grow for a few days, and then you cough them up and swallow them. If you're particularly unlucky, you can keep getting infected with more until your entire gut is stopped up with a horrible writhing mass of footlong worms. :science:

This is a Good Post, as well as a good username/post combo. Please post stuff like this if you have any more disgusting trivia about diseases we encounter in the game! This goes for anyone else with medical knowledge, or really any other knowledge relating to things discussed in the game. The more we can help each other learn here, the better! :)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So who had "2 lives" in the goiter pool? :v:

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Comrade Koba posted:

This, plus Reading. Gotta cram that holy text, apparently.

Also:

Covski posted:

The family's minimal diet starts to show, as a lack of protein means that none of her older siblings are [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunted_growth]developing physically the way they should.[/url]
URL tag again.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

So who had "2 lives" in the goiter pool? :v:

Yu's mom had a goitre as well :)

Antitonic posted:

Also:

URL tag again.

Thanks, fixed!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Covski posted:

Yu's mom had a goitre as well :)

True! But I meant for "player" characters. We got goit. And then got rid of it!

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

Covski posted:

My suspicions turned out to be true! Somewhere along the line our family turned into hindus and started speaking another language as well! I've never seen this happen in the game before. While there are hindus in Indonesia, they are a very small minority.

I haven't seen this before either, except after immigrating, when you suddenly speak a different language and are a different religion.

I also vote for Reading, Volunteering, and Religion for her activities.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

We got goit. And then got rid of it!

gently caress Yu, goit mine. :v:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Rasuna is in dire straits. She is not good at anything except caring about other people, which Yu proved is entirely unnecessary to get ahead in life. Plus, being a member of a minority religion is foolhardy.

:can: Also, worms everywhere. Worms around every corner in Rasuna's town. Rasuna's town is all worms all the time. :can:

We gotta get her out of there.

I'm in the Religious activities, volunteering, reading camp.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Religious activities, volunteering, reading.

After making a sociopathic drug-addicted Chinese salesman, I think we should counter it by making the most pure and kind Hindu girl the planet has ever seen.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, one update in and I already feel really sorry for Rasuna. Overpopulated family with clear weakness to disease, no actual talents to speak of, and a social situation that has gotten better but is still not good at all. And unlike Hang Yu she's an actually good girl instead of a monster wearing human skin whose blood was mostly composed of booze.

At least she's a religious, volunteering and well-read girl. I just hope that something, anything, in her life gets better before it gets worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
Weird that at the start Rasuna and her family were Muslim Sasak (which makes sense) but flipped to being Balinese Hindus (which also makes sense). On Lombok the Balinese only make up less than one-sixth the population so it's odd to assimilate to a religious and ethnic minority.

You can also chalk me up as another one who can't find a demo for this game or the 2010 version, any non-shady site points to the games homepage which doesn't seem to have the demos anymore.

And for voting, reading, outdoor activities, and religious studies.

• Locked thread