Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Here is a pic of your baker friend to laugh at.

I mean I wanted to give it a try. I'm not really out anything.

Looks better than my first bread!

I think bread should only be judged by what you were going for tbh, and KR has given better tips than I could.

Just a thought, it might also be more difficult I am guessing, to bake in a smaller oven? Like, whenever you open the door the temperature will plummet. I tend to bake in a small cast iron Dutch oven, within my normal oven, and it gives me consistent results at least.

I do actually have a baker freind....but they retrained as a carpenter. Such is life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Okay so a couple of things. You definitely want to up your heat, because you're baking in a toaster oven and you're naturally losing a little more heat out the front. Secondly, the recipe calls for the bread to be baked at 288C/550F so that might have affected the rise and the crusting. That's really a quick oven if you went up to that (if your oven is even rated for that--my countertop oven is not). Try 450F/232C, mist once hallway through, and keep your humidity medium high. Make sure you're using a bake function and not just a broiling/toasting function. If there's a convection fan, turn it on.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also I'm getting stuff together so I might try to sneak you one of the cast iron toaster oven pans. Yeah it'll melt your countertop probably, but the pizza you could make.

Escape From Noise

Kief Richards posted:

Also I'm getting stuff together so I might try to sneak you one of the cast iron toaster oven pans. Yeah it'll melt your countertop probably, but the pizza you could make.

I have a pizza stone that I used for my pizza and it survived

Escape From Noise

Whoops. Must have made a dumb conversion mistake. Thanks for all the help!

Escape From Noise

Max temp is 250 c so I'll give it a shot again tomorrow and see what happens

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Yessss. Have you tried baking the bread on the stone?

Desert for tonight is coconut cream panna cotta with toasted pistachio, rosewater and thyme smoke.

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
Dutch mustard soup is so good. We used to go to this Dutch restaurant once in awhile and it was my favorite thing on the menu.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Mustard soup is basically Goblin approved comfort food. It scratches every weird craving itch I get. It takes very little time to make. It requires almost nothing that I don't already have, and it's cheap. It's basically a perfect food, unless you hate mustard, at which point I guess this isn't the food for you.

Escape From Noise

Kief Richards posted:

Yessss. Have you tried baking the bread on the stone?

Desert for tonight is coconut cream panna cotta with toasted pistachio, rosewater and thyme smoke.

I haven't. I'm worried spraying it may crack it

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??

I haven't. I'm worried spraying it may crack it

I have had good success with a little dish of water placed in from the start and have baked on paper layed over cheap "fire stones" (for lining ovens with).
But with all the steam this might not be that safe.

How Wonderful!

Kief Richards posted:

Mustard soup is basically Goblin approved comfort food. It scratches every weird craving itch I get. It takes very little time to make. It requires almost nothing that I don't already have, and it's cheap. It's basically a perfect food, unless you hate mustard, at which point I guess this isn't the food for you.

I've never made it at home but maybe I should

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

How Wonderful! posted:

I've never made it at home but maybe I should

You should. Bacon, onions, garlic, scallions, mustard, cream or coconut cream or milk or whatever. Salt and pepper. You can do it.

Escape From Noise

It's 4 am and I can't sleep. Maybe I'll just try to power through and sleep tomorrow night

Manifisto

Kief Richards posted:

You should. Bacon, onions, garlic, scallions, mustard, cream or coconut cream or milk or whatever. Salt and pepper. You can do it.

what would be a good veggie thing to replace the bacon? I know from making the eggplant bacon you can get bacon-y flavors using tamari, smoked paprika, garlic powder, maybe worcestershire/maple syrup/liquid smoke, but would it be better to like marinate mushrooms in that and fry 'em up, or use facon, or just add those flavors to the soup?

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

what would be a good veggie thing to replace the bacon? I know from making the eggplant bacon you can get bacon-y flavors using tamari, smoked paprika, garlic powder, maybe worcestershire/maple syrup/liquid smoke, but would it be better to like marinate mushrooms in that and fry 'em up, or use facon, or just add those flavors to the soup?

Smoked oyster mushrooms! Fry them gently on some walnut oil if you wanna lean into the nutty meatiness.

Manifisto

Kief Richards posted:

Smoked oyster mushrooms! Fry them gently on some walnut oil if you wanna lean into the nutty meatiness.

oh that sounds good. do you smoke 'em yourself, or can you find them pre-smoked?

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Like legit just, Dutch mustard soup is different every time I've ever eaten it. You can add potatoes. You can add carrots. You can leave out the bacon, make the soup less of a cream soup and more of a broth, you can make it mostly onions and eat it over toast like a friend's grandma. It's good. I like it.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

oh that sounds good. do you smoke 'em yourself, or can you find them pre-smoked?

I have to smoke em myself because I'm growing the mushrooms now (lol hobbies are getting weird now).

You can order them online, though, in dried form. I found a couple of places with mesquite smoked oyster mushrooms; you can also rehydrate some dried oyster or shiitake mushrooms in a liquid smoke and soy sauce and sesame oil marinade. Not too much liquid smoke, not too much sesame oil.

Manifisto

Kief Richards posted:

I have to smoke em myself because I'm growing the mushrooms now (lol hobbies are getting weird now).

You can order them online, though, in dried form. I found a couple of places with mesquite smoked oyster mushrooms; you can also rehydrate some dried oyster or shiitake mushrooms in a liquid smoke and soy sauce and sesame oil marinade. Not too much liquid smoke, not too much sesame oil.

cool! actual smoking is probably not possible this winter due to ventilation issues, but when things warm up this may be worth a try!

an easy hand on the liquid smoke sounds like very good policy, I will put a tiny bit into bean soup

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Banana chocolate jam is being made to use up a pound of very overripe bananas because we already have bread.

SIDS Vicious

i got a bunch of markers for Christmas fromy mother in law (120 markers wowow) and i broke them out today and had some fun

Manifisto

this is undoubtedly the wrong place to put this but I see that Epic Games is giving away Night In the Woods for free today only (12/27)

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games

I am not much of a gamer but I really liked this one, it is quite lovely and funny and has some interesting ideas percolating underneath the surface.

enjoy friends!

ty nesamdoom!

Robot Made of Meat

Oh, for sure. It could have been way worse. I appreciate the tips a lot. Here's the cross section.

That looks a lot better sliced than the outside seemed. Looks tasty! (and seconding the French toast idea)

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Robot Made of Meat

Sid Vicious posted:

i got a bunch of markers for Christmas fromy mother in law (120 markers wowow) and i broke them out today and had some fun

That's a lot of markers, Sid. And I'm certain your MIL will be flattered by the portrait you made.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

goodness gracious i don't know about you all but i am tired and overfed from christmas stuff, i am ready to hibernate

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Dr. Chainsaws PhD

i had an eggnog milkshake earlier and my body wants to shut down

edit: in a good(?) way

alnilam

Robot Made of Meat posted:

And I'm certain your MIL will be flattered by the portrait you made.

lol

How Wonderful!

We went to a drive-in movie tonight and got nachos on the way. I have to say eating nachos in the car felt like quite a transgressive thrill. Feel like they should have shows on Cinemax at 2:00 AM about eating nachos in the car... a dirty little secret....

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

How Wonderful! posted:

We went to a drive-in movie tonight and got nachos on the way. I have to say eating nachos in the car felt like quite a transgressive thrill. Feel like they should have shows on Cinemax at 2:00 AM about eating nachos in the car... a dirty little secret....

i steal ur cheese and call it 'nacho cheese' or 'nowmy cheese' depending on my mood

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

How Wonderful!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

i steal ur cheese and call it 'nacho cheese' or 'nowmy cheese' depending on my mood

There's the great part, if I saw you coming I'd simply lock the car doors, maybe even drive away if I thought you were determined enough to attack the windows with bricks. Unlike a real movie theater in which whoever the gently caress is free to just take whatever food they want.

Bingo Bango

I asked How Wonderful to draw me as an orc and she was too embarrassed to post it, but I love it!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Escape From Noise

How wonderful!

hoppits

Bingo Bango posted:

I asked How Wonderful to draw me as an orc and she was too embarrassed to post it, but I love it!

Cute

B33rChiller

Bingo Bango posted:

:3:

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
sb hermit

the thread title says that lurkers must post

so I post

happy holidays byob

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

sb hermit posted:

the thread title says that lurkers must post

so I post

happy holidays byob

El....dorito?!?!

Escape From Noise

El Dorito Dorito
O mi pobrecito

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

*runs into thread*

There's a sale at Bed Bath and Beyond and they offered me COUPONS to use on their DEALS and I had to come tell you that C&D is getting very aggressive in their recruiting because they also got me, they almost got my credit card, and those towels look really soft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
ah, the ol' couponeroo. never thought I'd see such underhanded tactics in my life