Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

City of Glompton

that sounds really interesting hamjobs! i'm always impressed at what people learned to make

also hi i'm a chicken mom again, a cat and chicken mom my world is complete

https://i.imgur.com/2lhNZNZ.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Mormon Nailer posted:

I'm gonna look at some old textiles this week and I'm real big excited about it. I like it when they let me peek at the really old stuff and figure out how old it is, then replicate it. I wish I could just do this for my job all the time. Maybe I should.

Imagining atreyu coming to your house after a long quest to find the Ancient Fabric and you're all "it's my scientific speciality"

ty manifisto

more falafel please

forums poster

I didn't post in byob today because I was doing stuff all day and I'm not caught up on this thread but hi byob

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

more falafel please

forums poster

Mormon Nailer posted:

Gimme the peach, boys, and free my soul
I wanna shove pie in my chewin hole
And drift away

also this is the best post

more falafel please

forums poster

all the other posts are also the best posts, because they're posted in byob, the poster's forum

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I get really really really excited when people throw me dirty old rags and let me take old hair and lawn clippings and replicate said dirty old rags and if people would like to pay me to do this in the future I will continue to say yes because this and smoking weed and petting dogs and maybe eat a apple are all good things I think

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I like the smell of basements.

Escape From Noise

samantonio posted:

I like the smell of basements.

Dank

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

If you like basement smell then come on down to the Midwest's finest archaeological heritage and dig site where you can inhale nature's basement worth of anthropologically significant societal remains.

Escape From Noise

Warning: basement air may include hantavirus in areas such as New Mexico. Please check with your doctor into see of basement smells are right for you.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

As I understand it, Mitski is no longer touring or recording music. I can absolutely respect that, she deserves to live a normal life and take care of herself and pursue what she loves. I'm just really glad she shared the music she did, because this stuff hits just right. Dang.

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
G'mungo folks I had sushi for dinner last night and know I'm hurling my guts up, I hope everyone is having a much better morning than me

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Mmm... Sushi 🍣 🐠🐟 🍚

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Rarity posted:

G'mungo folks I had sushi for dinner last night and know I'm hurling my guts up, I hope everyone is having a much better morning than me

Ah, gently caress. Fever? How's your hydration? Can you get hold of the nurse line or your gp's surgery and get meds now to head it off?

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

Mormon Nailer posted:

Ah, gently caress. Fever? How's your hydration? Can you get hold of the nurse line or your gp's surgery and get meds now to head it off?

I'm recovering, I think my body just needed to get the sushi out of my system. I've had some chicken soup which is staying down :)

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Rarity posted:

I'm recovering, I think my body just needed to get the sushi out of my system. I've had some chicken soup which is staying down :)

Good. You know if you feel worse, don't gently caress around. Love u.

cruft

Hi everyone

It's Monday and I have to go to work again. I haven't been enjoying work recently and I don't want to go. But I do enjoy money money money. It's quite the dilemma, but I think I have a solution: become independently wealthy!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I need to work on some documents to finalize my acceptance back to college.

And maybe look for a new job.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

Hi everyone

It's Monday and I have to go to work again. I haven't been enjoying work recently and I don't want to go. But I do enjoy money money money. It's quite the dilemma, but I think I have a solution: become independently wealthy!

Why didn't I think of that! Brb going to be born to emerald mining magnates on stolen land so I can shoot trash into space!

Prof. Crocodile

City of Glompton posted:

that sounds really interesting hamjobs! i'm always impressed at what people learned to make

also hi i'm a chicken mom again, a cat and chicken mom my world is complete

https://i.imgur.com/2lhNZNZ.mp4

:swoon:

Prof. Crocodile

samantonio posted:

I need to work on some documents to finalize my acceptance back to college.

And maybe look for a new job.

I despise working on documents. even really easy ones. for some reason, filling out my information in boxes on a sheet of paper just really pisses me off. and it's like one of three things in life that pisses me off, which is also weird. but that's just me.

i wish you luck in you endeavors. may your ink never smudge, and may the boxes always be long enough to accommodate your info.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I have already become enraged for the day so I'm using that energy to go shower and get ready for work because I refuse to go in early. There's zero point.

Abugadu

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Rarity posted:

I tried balut for the first time on Saturday, which is kinda like its own chicken sushi, in a way.

I don’t think I’ll be seeking it out again any time soon.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I despise working on documents. even really easy ones. for some reason, filling out my information in boxes on a sheet of paper just really pisses me off. and it's like one of three things in life that pisses me off, which is also weird. but that's just me.

i wish you luck in you endeavors. may your ink never smudge, and may the boxes always be long enough to accommodate your info.

Oh cool, thank you!

Yea, I've gotten much better with getting down to crunch time and doing things in my older age. I used to despise all that same stuff too. I used to really worry that I was overlooking something, or I'd wig out thinking there was just too much and I'd never do it right, etc. I learned somewhere over the past couple years that like 90% of applying for something big and doing paperwork is just the attempt. Somehow if you just start things they seem to get finished. Or by starting it and then contacting someone on the other side, they will complete it for you lol.

The biggest fear for me with this was realizing that when I got in trouble and went to prison back in 2016 that my loans defaulted and I wasn't going to be able to get new loans until I got my $16k undefaulted.

But I broke and called the loans servicer and they renegotiatedy repayment to like $5.00/mo until September when I can get on title IV stuff. Until September there's no interest anyway. And they waived all the collections fees, which were $2500.

It feels good to be getting all my past debt taken care of, working on my credit for the past year really hard. I feel like I'm finally getting close to being responsible (a lifetime struggle for me lol)

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

I have already become enraged for the day so I'm using that energy to go shower and get ready for work because I refuse to go in early. There's zero point.

God. I'm there. I've made a little progress but everything seems like one step forward, two steps back. I know a bunch of things that need to be changed, some will cost more than others, but I need to run everything by the owner first. I do think part of it is a language barrier as well as the owner not quite understanding terminology. At least my coworker has been really helpful in letting me know how I was misunderstood, and where I need to clarify but... Jesus I feel worn out.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Escape From Noise posted:

God. I'm there. I've made a little progress but everything seems like one step forward, two steps back. I know a bunch of things that need to be changed, some will cost more than others, but I need to run everything by the owner first. I do think part of it is a language barrier as well as the owner not quite understanding terminology. At least my coworker has been really helpful in letting me know how I was misunderstood, and where I need to clarify but... Jesus I feel worn out.

What's the language?

Escape From Noise

samantonio posted:

What's the language?

Japanese. I can speak it conversationally, but I usually struggle with jargon and explaining more complex processes, especially if there's not a shared understanding of terms, meanings, standard practices, etc.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Japanese. I can speak it conversationally, but I usually struggle with jargon and explaining more complex processes, especially if there's not a shared understanding of terms, meanings, standard practices, etc.

Have you tried app based translators? I know the limiting factor there is that translators don't understand complex processes, but you might be able to start by defining key concepts back and forth that can build up to the more complex jargon.

Or even bringing in a human translator?

There's gotta be translator students who are needing work for practice.

Goons Are Gifts

hello friends im procrastinating work by posting

yeah again

so what's for lunch

Prof. Crocodile

lunch is probably going to be chicken, broccoli, and beans of some sort. I haven’t decided yet, but no matter what I do, it will probably be healthy and kind of boring.

Escape From Noise

I have my coworker. Trying to translate English to Japanese in full sentences is a total loving mess using any kind of electronic translation. Part of the reason though is the owner having like sort of an understanding, but not really. For instance, today he asked me why a berry beer they made somewhat recently was hazy, I asked how long it had fermented, and he said 4 days, so I responded it was still fermenting, so that makes sense, but then he said it was like 5 days, then seven. Then he said fermentation was finished because they'd cropped the yeast after however many days. Maybe a week? I said that fermentation time.was too short. Then I asked when it had been made, and got a few numbers.

I talked to my coworker after the meeting and it turns out that he thinks of fermentation as the pH drop and not the hydrometer drop. While fermentation does cause a drop in pH, it's not the main indicator, especially if you're adding fruit, your main indicator should be a hydrometer or refractometer reading. This is also part of a larger issue involving the owner and manager pushing for very short fermentation times which is causing a lot of issues like off flavors. My coworker also informed me that before this, the berry beer's base had been a pale ale base, and he'd changed to a wheat base for this batch. A malt bill with 50-60% wheat malt is going to result in some haze. Information like that is very critical to understanding what his baseline for hazy or clear is.

So basically it's partially a language barrier on my part, and partially the owner not understanding a fair amount about standard terms and just brewing stuff. My coworker is pretty much fluent in English, and he's helpful, but also it's just a lot. Sorry. That got really long.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 10, 2021

cruft

If it's any consolation, today I have a meeting in which we are going to restart a 2-year evaluation of my program to see if it's worth the money they're spending on it, because at the conclusion of the prior 2 year evaluation, they weren't satisfied with the methodology.

This means another 2 years scrambling to demonstrate to the sponsor that we should still be funded to teach people, instead of spending that money to improve how we teach people. I fully expect at the end of this, one finding will be that we're 4 years behind on updating content.

Escape From Noise

I mean it is what it is. It just felt exhausting. I did talk to my boss after the meeting in order to clarify what I meant by fermentation, and general times. He still seems very stuck on the idea that you set a schedule and make the beer stick to it, instead of allowing for extra time in case fermentation or lagering takes more time. Next meeting. Despite all my words, I just think a big issue is that the owner maintains so much control over all aspects so needed changes are very slow mostly.

Heather Papps

hello friend

technical jargon is one of my favourite things to learn about, it's always fascinated me that two people can have a conversation and walk away thinking completely different things were said and having different definitions for the same word can be one of the easiest ways for that to happen. adding a language barrier has gotta make it even worse.

you just gotta earn his trust, EFN, but i can see how it'd be tiring. can you go fishing in that river thing you posted pictures of because that was my fist instinct when i saw them. it'd be very relaxing for me, a man who enjoys fishing very much.

also haggy yes i can renew my outdoors card online, i was probesniped before i could post that response

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Escape From Noise

I can communicate with fellow brewers, but he's like... halfway there? He seems to trust me and stuff. I dunno. I'm too worn out to really explain what I mean RN. So I'm watching taskmaster. I finished the first season of Avenue 5 last night. It's good.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
That's neat. It's cool to see a bit of the inside of what goes into brewing. Sounds like you need to find some nice way of getting the owner some knowledge.

Escape From Noise

That or just hang on until I can find something better. We'll see. Sorry for the TED talks

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Definitions are crucial. I've really been expanding my reach with making sure that everyone agrees to a set of definitions during discussions. It usually works out the bugs before the discussion even takes place. Communication is so critical to resolution.

Heather Papps

hello friend

it really is amazing how many disagreements turn out to be miscommunication

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

That or just hang on until I can find something better. We'll see. Sorry for the TED talks

I like hearing about the work you do.

Fifteen years taking prescriptions
Now a shrink like, "I dunno, maybe get a kitten"