Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince

Wait, hold up.
What if...
Kimchi pierogi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Postin' noods

Escape From Noise

Finger Prince posted:

Wait, hold up.
What if...
Kimchi pierogi.

Would. I think something similar might exist. I think Mormon Nailer needs to confirm, but I think there's a Korean dumpling that looks a lot like a pierogi.

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
I just realised what fairy bread actually is and er, what the gently caress Australia?

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Escape From Noise posted:

Would. I think something similar might exist. I think Mormon Nailer needs to confirm, but I think there's a Korean dumpling that looks a lot like a pierogi.
Kimchi dumplings are a thing in the frozen section of the disappointing asian grocery here.

(It is disappointing because it has neither the broad selection of interesting mushrooms that the San Jose one had, nor the broad selection of frozen vietnamese fake meats that the one that used to be here had.)

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

:siren:IMPORTANT UPDATE!:siren: I am finally having naengmyeon (Korean cold noodles) for dinner! First of the year! I love it so much omg!

Did you get it bibim nangyeon or mul nangmyeon, this is important.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Finger Prince posted:

Wait, hold up.
What if...
Kimchi pierogi.

This basically exist as king mandu but yes. Thanks.

Eta: specifically you want kimchi wangmandu.

Randy Travesty fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 14, 2021

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Good morning I woke up screaming again. I am so tired.

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

Did you get it bibim nangyeon or mul nangmyeon, this is important.

Mul nangmyeon. It was good

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

Steamed then fried stuffed dumplings are the absolute best. Think pierogi dough is a little thicker than those but it's close enough (I think it has to be thicker to stand up to the boiling).
So many places here just deep fry their gyōza and it's just not right. (they deep fry their pierogis too, but you can't beat boiled then lightly fried in some bacon fat and onions.

Escape From Noise

Some of the Korean dumplings I've had have been pretty thick, but probably not made with sour cream.

Escape From Noise

I think I like mul better. I love that tangy broth. The Korean place near where I lived in Nara was a small operation and Minnie would just use whatever fruit was on hand. Sometimes Asian pear, sometimes watermelon, sometimes tomato. I kind of liked the roll of the dice

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

:popeye:

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Prof. Crocodile

:haibrow:

Prof. Crocodile

Mormon Nailer posted:

king mandu is tasty, and is maybe the best asian dumpling

Prof. Crocodile

mods pls change my name to King Mandu

Finger Prince

It sounds like the name of a Korean dub artist.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

You don't fry most mandu.

I am going to go get ready for work, my brain hurts because of dumb things.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also gyoza is not mandu. It's totally different.

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

Also gyoza is not mandu. It's totally different.

So's pierogi, but they're all still part of the greater soup in a bread bowl family.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Finger Prince posted:

So's pierogi, but they're all still part of the greater soup in a bread bowl family.

Oh my god

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
"Oh my God! It's full of soup!"

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Dumplings gets to be a real heated topic for me and I'm frustrated. There's a really huge history you need to understand about the distribution of them and why cultural sensitivity around the different kinds, particularly in reference to Mongolia, northern China, the Korean peninsula, etc., is of concern.

Escape From Noise

Soup dumplings=soup sandwiches

FirstAidKite
what's your favorite kind of dumpling, sinkers or floaters

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

Dumplings gets to be a real heated topic for me and I'm frustrated. There's a really huge history you need to understand about the distribution of them and why cultural sensitivity around the different kinds, particularly in reference to Mongolia, northern China, the Korean peninsula, etc., is of concern.

Yeah I kind of get it. Like when I said potato pierogi is Ukrainian and cabbage is Polish, yeah these days everyone makes potato ones because who doesn't love more carbs I guess, but my babcia would have chased you out of the kitchen if you suggested making them with potato because she was not going to make any inferior Ukrainian trash pierogi. Cabbage, meat, mushrooms. That's what goes in proper Polish pierogi. Like there's a whole regional thing going on with them that just blends together in the melting pot of America so nobody knows poo poo about it anymore. It's like if someone from England said they love bbq and an American was like what kind, and the Brit says all of it, it's all the same, and the American shoots them dead on the spot.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I could get very :actually: about dumplings but tldr you can thank invading forces for even spreading them and the modern eastern European versions that everyone considers "true" are not even remotely close to what people were eating even a hundred and fifty years ago before the revolutions and the major diasporas.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also Ukrainians don't put potatoes in their vareniki or the pelmeni generally.

Escape From Noise

That's sort of the thing that's so wild about food for me. Supposed cultural staples are actually pretty recent. Especially veggies and fruits.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Yeah I get EMOTIONS about dumplings.

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

I could get very :actually: about dumplings but tldr you can thank invading forces for even spreading them and the modern eastern European versions that everyone considers "true" are not even remotely close to what people were eating even a hundred and fifty years ago before the revolutions and the major diasporas.

Well yeah it's the same with all food, which is why it's kinda pointless to get all hung up on "authenticity" beyond what you're personally nostalgic for. But I don't want to get in a fight about it this fine morning, the dumpling wars have claimed too many lives already.

xcheopis

Potatoes as part of "traditional" cuisine for anywhere outside South America is relatively recent.

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

Yeah I get EMOTIONS about dumplings.

Dumpling Confessional
Saves the Dumpling
Sunny Dumpling Real Estate
Dumpling Cab For Cutie

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 14, 2021

Escape From Noise

xcheopis posted:

Potatoes as part of "traditional" cuisine for anywhere outside South America is relatively recent.

Yeah, same with like citrus outside of East Asia, spinach outside of the middle east, etc. I don't know why but it sorta facinates me.

FirstAidKite
my first exposure to dumplings was this book when I was 2 or 3

it is about a Japanese lady who chases a lost dumpling into hell and ends up enslaved by oni who give her a magic paddle to make lots of dumplings with

Finger Prince

Yeah, same with like citrus outside of East Asia, spinach outside of the middle east, etc. I don't know why but it sorta facinates me.

Bulldog sauce that goes on okonomyaki etc. is just an adaptation of Worcestershire sauce, which is itself a version of a Roman brown sauce, which comes from just the fact that people have been letting fish rot in a barrel and deciding the juices taste real good on eggs for as long as there's been fish and pottery.

Prof. Crocodile

FirstAidKite posted:

my first exposure to dumplings was this book when I was 2 or 3

it is about a Japanese lady who chases a lost dumpling into hell and ends up enslaved by oni who give her a magic paddle to make lots of dumplings with

this book sounds amazing

xcheopis

Same. I really enjoyed the history bits of the British Bake-off.
Speculation on how people worked out making olives palatable and similar, too. Usually involves desperate peasants.

Finger Prince

Do any of y'all watch Tasting History on youtube? Really good channel. Dude seems like such a nice guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Robot

100% free asmr
:sax:

Prof. Crocodile posted:

hello and welcome ghost robot!

in this thread we not only talk about peiroghis, but also our pets and favorite crimes. do you you have any pet pics or favorite crimes to share?

hi thanks! uhh heres a picture of my cat in some kind of ring