Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

Dr. Honked posted:

as a professional computer toucher, i very very very VERY much get the feeling that every computer system in the world is only a few seconds away from making GBS threads itself at any given moment in time. this is mainly because nobody is paid enough, or respected enough as a worker, to give a poo poo.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

roomforthetuna posted:

Counterpoint; even in a company where people are paid quite a lot, our systems are still prepared to simultaneously all poo poo the bed if just one person does something stupid. (It happened just last week, with a stupid action that luckily only caused like 1 second of everything not working rather than being really bad.)

:agreed:

xcheopis

sb hermit posted:

For the ads that I hear, it's more likely targeted towards the elderly wealthy.

Medi-Cal covers dental, though. It could be the case!

But yeah, the vanity aspect explains the dental ads, weight loss ads, varicose veins ads, laser eye ads, and so on.

MediCal covers some dental but rarely anything deemed "cosmetic" and many dentists don't accept it, regardless of the work needed.
I think I'd be pretty happy to have all my teeth replaced, as they've been nothing but trouble for decades now, but it's not always a great idea to do so, especially if you are young.
The youngest person I know who had full dentures in his 20s had his adult teeth knocked out of his jaw from a falling chain on an oil rig.

With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain inside

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
And that's why I'm polite in my support requests.

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Poot poooot, good morning BYOB.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
I called a professor at uni if they had any open positions as a research assistant and now i've got an interview lined up for tomorrow :stare:

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

cruft

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I called a professor at uni if they had any open positions as a research assistant and now i've got an interview lined up for tomorrow :stare:

:nice:

Shifty Nipples

Holland Oates posted:

Poot poooot, good morning BYOB.

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

Shifty Nipples

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

cool!

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Good morning!

Not a productive day at work so far, but I have so much that needs to be done. Help me!

Ass-penny

roomforthetuna posted:

Counterpoint; even in a company where people are paid quite a lot, our systems are still prepared to simultaneously all poo poo the bed if just one person does something stupid. (It happened just last week, with a stupid action that luckily only caused like 1 second of everything not working rather than being really bad.)

if there's anything I've learned slinging pizzas it is to never underestimate how stupid people can be. you'd think I'd have learned this lesson in the early 00s when I started lurking a website with the tagline "the internet makes you stupid," but here we are.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Manifisto

people are indeed pretty stupid (myself included), but I also feel like they are often not irrational. like you can understand why they do stupid thing from their perspective, it makes a sort of bent logical sense. what is kind of worse is when people are stubborn. this means they won't pay attention to the information that would help them act less stupidly, they've decided to dig their heels in and do it a certain way come hell or high water.

ty nesamdoom!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Zurtilik posted:

Good morning!

Not a productive day at work so far, but I have so much that needs to be done. Help me!

i feel your pain. i had a totally clear afternoon, so i was going to touch all the computer, but DISGUSTING HUMANS have got in the way of that. fuckety piss!

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

sb hermit

roomforthetuna posted:

sb hermit

xcheopis posted:

MediCal covers some dental but rarely anything deemed "cosmetic" and many dentists don't accept it, regardless of the work needed.
I think I'd be pretty happy to have all my teeth replaced, as they've been nothing but trouble for decades now, but it's not always a great idea to do so, especially if you are young.
The youngest person I know who had full dentures in his 20s had his adult teeth knocked out of his jaw from a falling chain on an oil rig.

:smith:

sb hermit

it has to be said that a large part of the entire world's software ecosystem depends on github and this is not really an understatement

cruft

sb hermit posted:

it has to be said that a large part of the entire world's software ecosystem depends on github and this is not really an understatement

I recently finished moving all my stuff into a private Forgejo instance. Github is just a mirror of my stuff now.

I would like to formally invite the entire planet to do the same, and host their projects on the Raspberry Pi in my living room. It's got a whole terabyte of storage!

Heather Papps

hello friend

i bought a laser pointer today thinking it'd be a good way for my neice/nephews to play with the cat and after about a half hour of chasing light dolly is splayed out on the floor, exhausted.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Ass-penny

Heather Papps posted:

i bought a laser pointer today thinking it'd be a good way for my neice/nephews to play with the cat and after about a half hour of chasing light dolly is splayed out on the floor, exhausted.

Wumbus loves to chase the laser pointer

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Heather Papps

hello friend

rear end-penny posted:

Wumbus loves to chase the laser pointer

i bought one fairly soon into taking care of dolly but the batteries or something did not work and it made me irrationally wary of buying another one, shouldn't have waited this long. dolly is an indoor cat so i try and play with the wand or rope or something to give her exercise every day and this is gonna be way simpler

Heather Papps

hello friend

planning an attack on crucial tech infrastructure centres. gonna point a laser at what i believe are called "server racks" and just let the cats do the work

more falafel please

forums poster

sb hermit posted:

remember when the entire nodejs ecosystem was built on a convoluted house of cards that meant that a significant amount of global infrastructure depended on one 28-year old not deleting an 11-line chunk of code that any first-year student could write in their sleep, and then he got mad and did it

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Heather Papps

hello friend

more falafel please posted:

remember when the entire nodejs ecosystem was built on a convoluted house of cards that meant that a significant amount of global infrastructure depended on one 28-year old not deleting an 11-line chunk of code that any first-year student could write in their sleep, and then he got mad and did it

i bet he said something really cool and profound out loud before hitting the delete key

more falafel please

forums poster

Heather Papps posted:

i bet he said something really cool and profound out loud before hitting the delete key

he got made because he made a software package called "kik" and then the company that makes the messaging software "kik" said "hey you can't" and the people in charge said "yeah you gotta change the name" so he deleted everything he'd ever done, including the relevant 11 lines of code that were wedged under the unstable jenga stack of the internet

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
he didn't say anything, he just made petulant snorting noises

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Heather Papps

hello friend

i don't think it's a cool move, but i do think that the type of person who would do that sort of thing would think it would be cool to say something to punctuate the act, feeling very solid snake when they're really otacon pissing himself like a toddler having a tantrum

treasure bear

I avoid dependencies where I can, the whole js ecosystem is a nightmare

biosterous

i forgot but lmao thank you for the reminder

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Finger Prince

Heather Papps posted:

i don't think it's a cool move, but i do think that the type of person who would do that sort of thing would think it would be cool to say something to punctuate the act, feeling very solid snake when they're really otacon pissing himself like a toddler having a tantrum

"This is for Rainbow Dash!"

sb hermit

treasure bear posted:

I avoid dependencies where I can, the whole js ecosystem is a nightmare

heh heh heh

sb hermit

cruft posted:

I recently finished moving all my stuff into a private Forgejo instance. Github is just a mirror of my stuff now.

I would like to formally invite the entire planet to do the same, and host their projects on the Raspberry Pi in my living room. It's got a whole terabyte of storage!

this is pretty cool, I might deploy this myself

forgejo is ... ahem ... a funny name, tho

sb hermit

he got made because he made a software package called "kik" and then the company that makes the messaging software "kik" said "hey you can't" and the people in charge said "yeah you gotta change the name" so he deleted everything he'd ever done, including the relevant 11 lines of code that were wedged under the unstable jenga stack of the internet

https://www.theregister.com/2016/03/23/npm_left_pad_chaos/

They literally called it "the Jenga tower of JavaScript".

Also, misspelling package names is another way to be attacked:

https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/06/npm_supply_chain_attack/

Sorry for the segway. It's hard to overstate the magnitude of terrible discipline and due dilligence that permeates modern software development which leads to catastrophic failures on the regular. Although the public is probably more familiar with seeing catastrophes related to bad dns, fatfingered routing decisions, and expired ssl certificates.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Look if the practice of code reuse or Ctrl + c Ctrl + v to victory is bad, then I don't want to be right.

Thanks to Dumb Sex-Parrot for the Christmas citrusy sig!

just turn that impostor syndrome into "I'm Poster" syndrome

kuskus

Dr. Honked posted:

i would like to professionally touch something else. vegetables, or bees, maybe.

as a professional bee toucher, i very very very VERY much get the feeling that every hive in the world is only a few seconds away from making GBS threads itself at any given moment in time. this is mainly because nobody is protected enough from varroa, or respected enough as a queen, to give a poo poo and will abscond anyway.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

sb hermit posted:

(The github thing)
lol that also was a thing from last week that happened at my work. My actual employer has protected itself against that kind of thing, but the open source project I work on *for* that employer had all its stuff stop working and become unusable for the three hours it took for github to go from "broke stuff without even saying anything" to "proudly announcing they broke stuff and it's your own fault for relying on it" to "poo poo, sorry, didn't realize we broke *that* much stuff, gonna undo that now".

The actual employer part still had fun with it in that there is a continuous testing thing that checks whether the archive-copies we have still match the archives from github, so they turned off that test without even knowing what was up because *other* stuff was already broken and causing panic, and only understood what the problem was because I made the connection that a broken test named "open source verify something something" was probably doing the same thing as the other project. (Not that they really needed to know because it would have "magically resolved itself" a few hours later even if nobody had a clue.)

baka of lathspell

hello orbs today i am going to bi mon library con (not its real name). but its this big lib con thing. im v excited i packed a lunch & everything

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

kuskus posted:

as a professional bee toucher, i very very very VERY much get the feeling that every hive in the world is only a few seconds away from making GBS threads itself at any given moment in time. this is mainly because nobody is protected enough from varroa, or respected enough as a queen, to give a poo poo and will abscond anyway.

do u really professionally touch bees thats awesome

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

what is varroa

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Manifisto

nm what's varroa with u

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
How do I become a professional butt toucher?

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.