Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Finger Prince posted:

Bulldog sauce that goes on okonomyaki etc. is just an adaptation of Worcestershire sauce, which is itself a version of a Roman brown sauce, which comes from just the fact that people have been letting fish rot in a barrel and deciding the juices taste real good on eggs for as long as there's been fish and pottery.

But that's also why okonomiyaki, takoyaki, Napolitan, etc. are yoshoku or "western" foods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

drat. My fuckin shoulder. Ow

xcheopis

Escape From Noise posted:

drat. My fuckin shoulder. Ow

I told you not to go to the tryouts but, nooooo. Wouldn't listen and tried to throw that fastball anyway.

With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain inside

Escape From Noise

xcheopis posted:

I told you not to go to the tryouts but, nooooo. Wouldn't listen and tried to throw that fastball anyway.

HOW ELSE WILL I BECOME MR. BASEBALL???

xcheopis

DRESS UP AS A CAT

Escape From Noise

xcheopis posted:

DRESS UP AS A CAT

That's a completely different film!

xcheopis

That's a completely different film!

Oh. Never mind!

xcheopis

I didn't make it to the market to buy market fresh fruit or those yummy savory croissants and that's probably better for my food budget. Maybe I'll go later and see if cherries are bought out or not.
Delicious delicious cherries.

Gramps

better figure out how to hit the Shuuto or you're hosed

Escape From Noise

Gramps posted:

better figure out how to hit the Shuuto or you're hosed

What do you think I've been up to?

Manifisto

That's sort of the thing that's so wild about food for me. Supposed cultural staples are actually pretty recent. Especially veggies and fruits.

recently I learned that Pad Thai was invented in the 1930s, and arguably created/promoted for the specific purpose of being a Thai national dish for cultural outreach and nation building purposes

Finger Prince posted:

Do any of y'all watch Tasting History on youtube? Really good channel. Dude seems like such a nice guy.

yeah, it's good!

another channel that sometimes has interesting food history stuff is My Name is Andong (where I heard about the pad thai thing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe3LCcDS-Uw

not sure how much research he devotes to his history, I think the Tasting History guy probably puts in more effort on that front

ty nesamdoom!

cruft

Manifisto posted:

recently I learned that Pad Thai was invented in the 1930s, and arguably created/promoted for the specific purpose of being a Thai national dish for cultural outreach and nation building purposes

Another Siamese success story!

Prof. Crocodile

Ghost Robot posted:

hi thanks! uhh heres a picture of my cat in some kind of ring

a fine encircled catte. 6 paws up.

Escape From Noise

Manifisto posted:

yeah, it's good!

another channel that sometimes has interesting food history stuff is My Name is Andong (where I heard about the pad thai thing)

not sure how much research he devotes to his history, I think the Tasting History guy probably puts in more effort on that front

That makes sense since peanuts and chilis are from the Americas

Manifisto

Ghost Robot posted:

hi thanks! uhh heres a picture of my cat in some kind of ring

I am Cat and this is my circle. there are many like it, but this one is mine.

also hello and welcome!

That makes sense since peanuts and chilis are from the Americas

and rice noodles are apparently chinese, Thailand apparently deliberately adopted them because they store better than rice itself

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

Apparently that's also why a lot of Thai foods are sweet, fermented, or spicy. It stores better in the heat I guess. That's at least what I heard.

Heather Papps

hello friend

the same moment i turned on my pc a moment ago my neighbour started using an angle grinder outside and for a brief moment i was fully under the impression that my computer was making that noise and it was about to die.

noodles rule-dle. moving to where i did drastically limited my ethnic food options but also opened up the "buy food from mennonites" menu so it's kind of evened out. except "chinese" food. there are so many "chinese" restaurants in northern ontario it's very strange.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Finger Prince

Manifisto posted:

yeah, it's good!

Yeah that was a cool episode! I like my name is andong too. Good channel.

Beef Of Ages

Your dumb is leaking.
All of this noodle and dumpling talk has rekindled a strong desire to return to Chengdu and lose another dress shirt to the Sichuan pepper hot pot.

Goons Are Gifts

so the byob spaceship crashed in the technical forum where astral is tuning it and we need all yobbers on deck to clear a cookie dough incident in the engine room: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918699&pagenumber=206&perpage=40

We also are scheduled to play something very soon, like, tomorrow or so, depending on how fast we can eat ourselves out of there, so better hop on the spaceship now and be ready for some action

Oh and maybe bring some money we might need it

Escape From Noise

There are few things in this world like legit kimchi. Not the sweet stuff. That earthy, spicy poo poo. Hell yeah

Escape From Noise

And that tang

Beef Of Ages

Your dumb is leaking.

is it a pootie tang?

Escape From Noise

Beef Of Ages posted:

is it a pootie tang?

TBF, when is it not?

take the moon

by sebmojo

rarity drink the white paw and dont photoshop ur extremely official certificate 2 say u dont have to. i wont be mandelad this time

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

xcheopis

It's always nice when one of the higher-ups buys me lunch. Helps me eat healthier during the work week.

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's an asian supermarket not too far from where i live that also has a restaurant on-site that does korean bbq.

i keep meaning to go to it because i heard it's awesome (where the old man has been buying his kimchii).

----------------

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
My mom was just telling me of a Korean bbq place she had gone to. I really like Thai food but haven't had it in years

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(one of these days i'm gonna have to get ma's recipie for bulgolgi marinade from her)

----------------

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bulgogi is basically a lot of the same things but it's the amounts of garlic, ganjang and "hand taste" you put in it that make the difference.

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

take the moon posted:

rarity drink the white paw

...It's a chew toy

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

Goons Are Great posted:

We also are scheduled to play something very soon, like, tomorrow or so, depending on how fast we can eat ourselves out of there, so better hop on the spaceship now and be ready for some action

Oh and maybe bring some money we might need it

Ok so we're either about to go to PITR or this is GaG's attempt to start a pyramid scheme :thunkher:

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Stoner Sloth

Rarity posted:

I just realised what fairy bread actually is and er, what the gently caress Australia?

thing you have to remember about Australia is that for about 60 years they didn't let anyone move here, for very unBYOB reasons, so all that they had was the worst of british cuisine - it may have driven older australians to strange & terrible places food wise

also, Important Butt News!!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Prof. Crocodile

holy moly this is indeed important butt news!

cruft

Stoner Sloth posted:

thing you have to remember about Australia is that for about 60 years they didn't let anyone move here, for very unBYOB reasons, so all that they had was the worst of british cuisine - it may have driven older australians to strange & terrible places food wise

Really looking forward to the medical advances allowing me to breathe with my rear end!

xcheopis

Stoner Sloth posted:

Some species of turtles can do this for months. There is one species that ranges along the East Coast from New England to Florida and the populations started to diverge because the ones up north had to adapt to spending far more time at the bottom of a frozen lake and still get enough oxygen.

take the moon

by sebmojo

Rarity posted:

...It's a chew toy

on further inspection barkling water is p funny

----------------

Prof. Crocodile

Rarity posted:

...It's a chew toy

It's just one excuse after another with you. First you won't drink the whiteclaw because you have a 'certificate' then you won't drink the whitepaw because it 'isn't liquid'...

biosterous

hi i'm new and i have never posted and i think rarity should drink the chew toy

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

cruft posted:

Really looking forward to the medical advances allowing me to breathe with my rear end!

Breath (with) Your Own Butt!!