Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I think drilldo is very funny sometimes.

Unrelatedly, I am playing a musical show in southwest Ohio on March 10. I don't want to say which one because it would be really easy to doxx me from it. If you are interested send me a pm and I'll give you the deets.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

Hey lurkers!! Here at the 'yob we just love it when "newbies" like you post your name, credit card number, address, and those numbers on the back of the credit card. It's a fun way to get to know you!

blaise rascal

I live pretty close to the Rheingeist brewery. It's a cool place to visit.

blaise rascal

I love danger 5

blaise rascal

Should I move to Michigan for a job?

blaise rascal

City of Glompton posted:

What kind if job?
It would be my first electrical engineering job after undergraduate graduation. It would be in the automotive industry. The downsides are that I would have to move 4 hours away from my friends and family, and that the work would not be the kind of stuff I find easy or interesting.

But I'm leaning toward doing it. I don't have any money right now for something like graduate school, and I don't have any other job offers. I think I could make a bunch of money and then find something else in a few years if I end up not wanting to stick around.

blaise rascal

MiracleWhale posted:

most people get financial aid for grad school homes. it's not uncommon for the whole thing to be basically free if you're a phd student in a stem field. (and you should be, even if you plan to bail once you have your masters, because phd students get treated much better)

just go now or you're at high risk of never going at all

themoreyouknow.jpg
How do I know if I am smart enough to try for a phd?

I have only looked at the graduate school of one university (the one I attend right now), but it is true that much of the tuition for graduate school would be paid through scholarships. And if I'm lucky, I could get a research project or teaching assistant position while working toward an MS that would pay for the remainder of the tuition plus a monthly grant. However, not everyone gets those positions who wants them.

Making decisions is hard.

blaise rascal

I really miss German bread, which is dense, chewy, crusty, and cheap. It usually takes the form of rolls rather than sliced loaves, and you can buy it freshly baked at the country's many, many bakeries.

Dinner rolls you can buy in the States at places like Panera are no comparison.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 31, 2016

blaise rascal

Jerry Cotton posted:

Lidl has the best bread around here :negative:
What I would give for a Lidl. I'd even be satisfied with one of those Aldi bread vending machines.

According to a quick Google search, it appears that one of the challenges of recreating German bread in the States is that the flour here is different.

Oh well, at least I still have my sourdough.

blaise rascal

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

also if you have freezer space freeze some sliced peaches.
This is what I do. I like to buy about 10 pounds of old peaches for cheap from nearby farms around this time of year. Then I cut away the rotting parts and the pits and freeze the rest. This is a much better deal than buying large quantities of frozen fruit from the store. My two pieces of advice if you are considering doing this are to freeze the peaches in small, single-use bags, and to remove the skins before freezing if you are planning to make baked goods and you care how these baked goods look (feel free to leave the skins on if you are planning to make smoothies).

blaise rascal

today is national noodle day in America

blaise rascal

I'm sad because my Brazilian friend's farm is suffering a severe drought. The farm next door to hers lost 4 cows to the drought last week.

:negative:

blaise rascal

Here, to celebrate page 1000, are some watercolor paintings by Indian artist Sachin Naik

blaise rascal

I just watched the Taco Bell employee making my lunch drop my half-made burrito on the floor, then scoop it up with her hands and throw it away, then resume making a new one, all without changing her gloves

blaise rascal

Olive! posted:

what if... bathe in weed???
Just lol if you don't think your dealer bathes in all his weed before selling it to you

blaise rascal

AverySpecialfriend posted:

So I started taking singing lessons about a month ago and I can really tell it's starting to pay off! My teacher says I'm a quick learner and a good student which makes me happy, and I'm gonna start doing two lessons a week.

I'm kinda shy/insecure about it but I've always wanted to learn how to sing. I'm not really very good yet but just learning proper form and technique I can sing much stronger than I could before. It was cool going to my lesson yesterday because I finally figured out how to use my head voice, and just feeling how it resonated when I put together all the little things I've been learning, I could immediately tell I was doing it right.

My mindset right now is that I wanna go in and impress my teacher every lesson. I started out from square zero pretty much and it feels good being able to tell I'm making progress. Okay bye thanks for reading my diary!
What style of singing/songs are you most interested in learning?

blaise rascal

Piano has been my musical hobby for years, but because I spend most nights traveling for my new job, I've taken up barbershop singing as something I can do in a hotel room and while driving. I'm currently trying to decide whether or not to go to barbershop chorus rehearsal tonight. I'm staying by myself in a hotel on a business trip, so this would be a way to keep myself busy, and the nature of barbershop is that you can generally go to the meeting of any chorus in the country (USA) and not be intruding. The problems are that the rehearsal is 45 minutes away and also I have to get up early tomorrow.

blaise rascal

blaise rascal posted:

Piano has been my musical hobby for years, but because I spend most nights traveling for my new job, I've taken up barbershop singing as something I can do in a hotel room and while driving. I'm currently trying to decide whether or not to go to barbershop chorus rehearsal tonight. I'm staying by myself in a hotel on a business trip, so this would be a way to keep myself busy, and the nature of barbershop is that you can generally go to the meeting of any chorus in the country (USA) and not be intruding. The problems are that the rehearsal is 45 minutes away and also I have to get up early tomorrow.
I stayed home

blaise rascal

If I remember correctly, the last attempt at a byob d&d thing was by geexcee & it was renaissance italy themed. I don't know if it actually got off the ground but there were a lot of very entertaining character introductions

blaise rascal

It's good to go on walks. Whenever I'm working from the office or from home, I like to go for a 10 minute walk after lunch. I believe this is what the Germans all do.

blaise rascal

Doctor Dogballs posted:

What's something cool I can make from scratch if I have a drill with various bits, a dremel with tons of attachments, hammer & nails, screws, and etc. but no "big" power tools like a drill press, router, table saw, band saw, lathe and so forth
You could go to a craft store and see if you come up with any ideas. That's how I came up with the idea to make all of my family members clocks for Christmas last year. Actually, making clocks might be a fun idea for you since I know you're a great drawer, and so you might enjoy painting a clock face.

At Michael's (a craft store chain in America) you can buy clock mechanism kits that contain everything you need except for the actual face of the clock, which can be any flat surface with a hole in the middle. I personally made my clocks with 1" thick circular slices of wood with the bark still on, which were also bought from Michael's. I drilled a hole in the middle, dremeled out a space in the back for the clock mechanism, painted the front with acrylic paints, sprayed the wood with a sealer of some sort, and assembled the clock.

blaise rascal

alnilam posted:

me wondering where i can get me a cool animal skull too, then looking at your face with a hungry look and in my vision your head momentarily fades into a skull for a second liek in looney toons when they're really hungry and see the other guy as a turkey leg or something, and you're like "gee what is it" and I'm like "oh nothing" but also sharpening a knife
haha

blaise rascal

Am I being owned right now? I don't understand what's happening

blaise rascal

*thinks back wistfully to the days of old byob when I was owned pretty much constantly* sigh...

blaise rascal

I had real espresso once and it was very good. It was made by an Italian man living in Munich. He was an airb&b host for my mom and me. His apartment building was one of those massive concrete Eastern European living complexes that was probably built by the Soviets. I think this was the one:

blaise rascal

el dorito posted:

I guess it rains down in twin peaks
lol

blaise rascal

I'm learning how to salsa dance. My goal is to make girls fall in love with me, as Berkeley Breathed would say, "by the truckload."

blaise rascal

From the introduction of a book of sheet music for Argentine tango songs:

"Tango is the most beautiful, profound, passionate and complete music i have ever heard. I say complete, because it's got everything in it that i like best in music, all the various styles that i have played. It's got the audacious power of rock, the dirt and rawness and compelling rhythm of folk music, some of the harmonies, and all of the improvisational freedom, of jazz. And classical -- i need absolutely everything i ever learned studying classical to play tango well. Every chop, every etude, all my technique, interpretive skills, all go into tango, because all the infamous difficulties are present: all the blistering runs of octaves, thirds, trills, scales, fast arpeggios, melting legato, and lovely shaping and shading of phrase that you would hear in an average Horowitz or Toscanini performance are all used in good tango performances. In every good tango recording there is much subtlety, balance, grace, elegance."

It's pretty cool when something is so great that it moves someone to his or her core

blaise rascal

punchymcpunch posted:

in naples everything is vanilla-strawberry-chocolate flavoured
lol

blaise rascal

mario's Christian name is franklin

blaise rascal

Manifisto posted:

hi byob, yesterday I finished playing night in the woods

I don't videogame v much, but I thought this was really good

and very byob
bought that a while back but i haven't played it since i committed to being cuphead first

stupid cuphead

blaise rascal

When the moon hits your eye
Like a big pizza pie
You'llprobablybecrushed by the im, pact

blaise rascal

today is national cookie day in the US

blaise rascal

sockingtonsworth posted:

I don’t even understand what the fck I’ve done to my sleep schedule
Maybe you are getting older? As you get older you might find that you can't get as much sleep each night, but also, you don't need as much sleep in order to be healthy.

blaise rascal

Can confirm the accuracy of the advice being given through personal experience:

Once, I drove on the highway right after a snowstorm. It was rush hour and I was frustrated with going like 40 mph, so I entered the far-left lane, intending to pass everyone. The problem was that no one had been driving on that lane so it was covered with fresh snow, and I started sliding as soon as I got into the lane. I swear it took me like 5 minutes to get back into the middle lane because I couldn't turn or anything. It was a 4-wheel drive car, too. So uh my winter driving tip is "don't be like me"

blaise rascal

UWBW posted:

If you haven't read Liminal States, you owe it to yourself to read Liminal States.
this book is depressing

blaise rascal

sockingtonsworth posted:

i love baths (musical group) so much. if youve never listened to baths, check out their newest album romaplasm
What one song should I listen to from this album?

blaise rascal

UWBW posted:

Grub hub isn't working for me right now which is a real problem as I'm drunk and in need of poutine. How's everyone's night going?
I can't sleep

blaise rascal

I'm trying to help my sister find a job after college. These things aren't easy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

AverySpecialfriend posted:

mail order friend is a good band name
here's a band name I just thought of: Therapy Cage