Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout

Hello, I'm a new here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Welcome! How did you find us?

Do you have pets, hobbies, or interesting ancestors?

I had assumed that BYOB was one of those forums where you have to have your mask of Cool Postin' Internet Dude up at all times and never show weakness, but something about one of the forum ads made me at least take a look. Pleasantly surprised to see it's a concentration of the *other* side of SA, the friendlier side.

I have no pets but a box of rats arriving in a couple of weeks. My hobbies mostly include pouring money into the pit that is my house and documenting it in the DIY subforum. I don't have interesting ancestors that I know of but I do have a related tale.

I was in the US (from the UK) for a thing and met someone with the same (relatively rare) surname as me. We had a chat about it and I said "Do you know where it came from originally?", to which she said "No, we're not sure when we were given the name". And then I remembered she's black and the US still has aftereffects of slavery and oh god some branch of my family must've owned her ancestors at some point. Oops.

Scroon posted:

Hello, a new here! I'm Scroon.

Also a big fan of terrible dad jokes.

Jaded Burnout

FluffieDuckie posted:

Guys, it’s working! The banner ads are working!

I assumed the one about rotating images was a TCC thing so.. kinda working :)

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 23, 2018

Jaded Burnout

Chill la Chill posted:

you came just in time for the annual wednesday celebration

Is that where we celebrate Wednesday Addams? Because I'm gonna need that to be weekly.

Jaded Burnout

I clicked it, it's some very cool prog rock.

Jaded Burnout

I was thinking crash test dummies for the vocals too!

Jaded Burnout

Aye, I only use them to do things which are otherwise buried in hard to navigate UIs. The number of taps and swipes it takes to set a timer is straight up frustrating compared to "20 minute timer". But I'm also paranoid about having an open mic, and I've heard second hand that it can lead to kids learning bad habits since Alexa doesn't require social pleasantries like "please" and "thank you".

Jaded Burnout

el dorito posted:

I say “thank you” to Siri all the time. I don’t see why I should do otherwise.

You're also not 5 years old. One more thing for parents to manage!

Jaded Burnout

It's 10pm and I'm gearing up for a really late one. What's everyone up to? What are you looking forward to this week?

Jaded Burnout

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Well, we have a new frog in the Wednesday thread, so I'm not sure there's anything else to look forward to.

Yes what is that about

Jaded Burnout

alnilam posted:

Hi jaded burnout tonight I'll probably drink some wine and watch star trek tng bc I'm traveling for work and the town I'm in is very boring, how about u

Ah yes, I know that story. How was your meal at Generic Hotel-adjacent Chain Restaurant?

alnilam posted:

my main thing I'm looking forward to is going home and seeing my waifu

:3

Manifisto posted:

:confused: I think the op sums it up perfectly?

Yes this bit I am 100% on board with but then there's an annual component and there's a frog rota (or frota) and there's some kind of Cult of the Wednesday Frog vibe going on that I'm not opposed to.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

My boss moved the big phone conference from Monday to Friday so I'm on unofficial time off and I intend to use it.

I love those weird protected moments when your work responsibilities are nullified and there's a delicate bubble of unexpected free time that you enjoy carefully so as not to jostle it enough to draw the gaze of a zealous manager. Float in that zero g chill time my friend.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 24, 2018

Jaded Burnout

albany academy posted:

Salesforce is very not chill and I dislike that I have to wade in to try and fix it :smith:

Oh no. I'm going to have to work with their API soon and not looking forward to it.

Look on the bright side, at least it isn't SAP?

Jaded Burnout

albany academy posted:

Very unchill situation, but I feel obligated to try to make it better, mainly because it'll save me more work in the long run.

:(

Jaded Burnout

Lizard Wizard posted:

stoned throw

Jaded Burnout

Speaking of something smaller, isn't there a briefcase featured in some ladder matches? I'm working on very hazy knowledge here so excuse me if I'm off the mark.

Jaded Burnout

Mine says "I'm with these excellent friends" with arrows pointing in all directions.

Jaded Burnout

A picture of Beatrix Potter's Mrs Tiggywinkle doing a dab mid-stunt coming off a BMX ramp.

I'll take :five:

Jaded Burnout

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Is there a script that makes it so the images rotate faster?

Um, let's see how they do it.. OK, looks like SA strips bookmarklets so you'll have to create one yourself from this:
JavaScript code:
javascript:(function() {$(".forum_268 img").css("animation-duration", "9s");})();

Jaded Burnout

Starman Super DX posted:

It’s technically correct quand c’est en Français

e:lol beaten

The best kind of French.

It's 1am and I'm just waking up, because I work nights? No, because I have a lovely brain and have been asleep since 2pm. Time for a.. night burger

Jaded Burnout

Starman Super DX posted:

dayburger! ahahhhhh!
fighter of the nightburger! ahahhhhh!
champion of the bun

When I wrote it my brain flagged up a dogeared card which read "nightburger night-burg-errr, you know how to do it"

I ate the burgs, after midnight, did not yet turn into some kind of gramlon or goblin.

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

dear byob, my left testicle felt kinda sore

i then determined that due to the combination of heavy shirt and light lower garments my balls were too cold

i took a very warm bath and now everything is fine

I guess you just don't have the balls to donald duck it

Jaded Burnout

Also the whole point of having balls is to keep them cool, so maybe you got other ball problems, son

Jaded Burnout

TVsVeryOwn posted:

If the Cosby Show is to believed a nightburg could lead to a wicked dream. In the episode it's a sausage sandwich, but that's like a burg cousin.

I don't remember why, but a few hours ago I was debating the etymology of a burg. Like a chicken burger is a burg, what about fish finger (or indeed sausage) sandwiches? It's not the shape of the bread that makes a burg as it's a burg with lettuce or buck-rear end nude. Is it the shape of the patty?

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 28, 2018

Jaded Burnout

My night burgers were chicken burgers that I've been gobbling since I got my kitchen back at new year's. I gotta diversify, yo, getting bored of them. Beef makes too much mess though.

Jaded Burnout

To be fair to onions, if you can get past the awful texture they also taste bad.

Jaded Burnout

TOOT BOOT posted:

I also like ketchup and marinara but not tomatoes

:agreed: that's probably just sugar and salt and less water though

Jaded Burnout

I'm sorry, that was a bad judgment on my part. I meant to imply the same thing about face recognition, but it's just as presumptuous.

I don't like being noticed. It feels bad and kicks off all my defensive mechanisms. Living in a world made of noticing causes me a lot of discomfort, and I panic sometimes.

Sorry.

There's a special kind of anxiety that comes from knowing how much every website and piece of software is tracking your behaviour. Even when it's benign and just intended to improve your experience you start hesitating before clicking something because now you're thinking about how it's going to be interpreted by the application.

I'm also a little security paranoid but yeah "they already have my fingerprints" is my fallback. I've not gone for face recognition and won't, though (should I get a phone that supports it).

Jaded Burnout

Good morning everyone I corrected my sleep patterns just in time for work this morning.

Mondays, eh? Heh heh heh.

Jaded Burnout

TVsVeryOwn posted:

What's the etiquette on stealing (buying a new title to insert) gangtags? I stole the Fighting Mongooses one and never got any poo poo. I kind of want my next title to be nothing but gangtags.

A title made entirely out of gangtags you didn't earn? I think I saw another example of that somewhere..

Jaded Burnout

alnilam posted:

some of them might be specific to a certain time in a certain forum, and sort of treasured like a medal by the people who feel a part of that community, and they might feel like it's being appropriated if someone who doesn't post there uses it :shrug: idk enough about various tags to tell you which ones might upset people if you use them and which wouldn't

there are also a few that were meant to be quite special as a result of winning a contest. The hog dawg and mx. byob are the examples i know of, of those

Yes, the one to my left I used on the basis that I liked the look of it, but I was wary of stepping on toes. It's related to the crypto.cat IM client but I couldn't find any threads where it originated so :shrug:. I hang out in the sort of forums where it would've originated and only one person seems to still sport it.

Jaded Burnout

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Oh good. I thought you were a cryptocurrency person.

Heavens no.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Crypto stands for cryptography!

It does! And it is in that vein and enjoyment of cute cats that I wear it.

Jaded Burnout

Putty posted:

gangs are for suckas

Gangs are friends with goals.

Jaded Burnout

Cooking will save your life way more often than most "must-have" skills in contemporary society. I would have starved a long-rear end time ago if I had to rely on other people making food for me.

I recently went 9 months without a kitchen and let me tell you it loving sucks. Not only because you wind up eating horrible food all the time but it costs a goddamn fortune.

Jaded Burnout

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Oh sweet. I hadn't looked at the Gangs page of SAclopedia for a while and those yobtags are all hecking amazing. It'll be a shame to pick just foure.

Where did the hosed up tiny wolf one come from?

Jaded Burnout

Not even free shipping, smdh

Jaded Burnout

Can I use the tiny wolf bumper sticker when I inevitably redo my thing?

Jaded Burnout

I think I have a way to change my life to be less of a jaded burnout, but it's going to take the best part of a year to implement and involve big changes and risks. Wish me luck!

Jaded Burnout

You got dancin' shrimp, muscle shrimp, swarthy shrimp, henly shrimp, shrimp cop, shrimp thigh highs, shri

Jaded Burnout

eonwe posted:

ya I don't know if I mentioned it, but a bit before Christmas my wife basically told me she was leaving me, so I've been trying since then to get everything fixed up and in my own place

ill be in my own place on 2/15 and hopefully a little over a week later the divorce will be done so I can move on

Sounds like you need one heck of a good burg.

Jaded Burnout

Good morning my lovelies. Tell me a thing about your pets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout

albany academy posted:

He loves getting pets on his head but loving hates getting his butt, legs, stomach touched. If he's sleeping on the couch with me while I watch something and move my leg, feet, etc even slightly close to any of these places he will wake up yelping, scurry across the room, glower at me, then flump himself on the floor with a huge melodramatic sigh.

Is this a cat or a dog? I heard a thing about cats and belly exposure being a trust thing but I don't know if it's true.

Your dog is extremely good and I'm glad she's still got some beans in those old days.

alnilam posted:

it's based on an old german superstition that on 2/2 - which is the dead-middle of astronomical winter - bad weather portents better weather to come (yay), and fair weather (sun) portents a longer winter (boo)

That's interesting!

alnilam posted:

*oh i should mention "pa dutch" is a misnomer it's pa german, they talk a very funny dialect of german (similar to what is spoken along the northern coast of germany) and americans misheard them saying "deutsch" as "dutch" and i guess the rest is history

I guess if you push hard enough they're all Dutch, what with Germany being assembled from a bundle of tribes which split their languages into three; English, Dutch (Low[lands] German), and German (High[lands] German). Or thereabouts anyway.

You probably know more about the migration to PA than I do but my understanding is that "a very funny dialect of german spoken on the northern coast" is literally the history of Dutch.