Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What is this, something hindus put on their QC stickers?

Jokes aside this is looking great, and I appreciate Bacter's choice of not showing off everything. This feels like something that'll go over a whole lot better if it still has some mystery to it.

I feel we should go after Clarissa, for several reasons. The practical one is that she has a radio that she doesn't know how to work, and if we add some eyes and hands to that we may get off the island faster. Plus she seems level headed and if we can just give her a nudge she'll get rolling under her own power and start pulling weight. Ren on the other hand feels like baggage at this point. Sure, we'll pick him up. Maybe we can dump Jonas at Clarissa's and then get him or something. A few more minutes on his lonesome to get a grip will probably do him good.

The rear end in a top hat/metagaming one is that if we help Clarissa out maybe she'll see us as something other than "the little sis" and open up a bit, while on the other hand if we go after Ren at this point she'll probably still prance around being a haughty bitch and that'll be no fun.

The man/dog thing; wasn't that some old joke? Like you met man bleeding from his arse, and why is that? Well you see he was going to see a man about his (belligerent?) dog. He did see the man but he never saw the dog (coming, before it bit his buttocks off). That'd be foreboding. Also, didn't people use to say they'd go see a man about a dog, to excuse themselves going to the shitter, or other errand they'd rather not specify? (Maybe that's the origin of the joke, come to think of it). So either they knew they'd meet someone (in the cave?) or they were up to something they'd rather not disclose, and got bit on the arse by unforeseen tombuggerence. Either way it's an oddball thing to go scribbling in blood on a cave wall. I'd opt for I DIDDLED poo poo & DIED CALL PRIEST/AIRSTRIKE, given the same column space. It's oddly phrased as an instruction though, like "see a man", and not "saw a man". So it really is a dumbass invitation to go diddle with a real trollface caveat bolted on at the end, like some chucklefuck is standing in that armoire this very minute just jumping in his pants to hop out and go but I waaaaarneed youuuuuu nar ne nar nar once we've managed to cajole the Kerberos of Hell to bolt out and get busy biting buttock.

The soundscape in the glitch section sound submariney to me.

e: Or does Oxenfree mean

* Ox[yg]enfree? Like a sunken submarine? This game seems to like to drop key syllables out of communications.
* Xenofree? Is let aliens out possible?
* We finally ejected all the taurine fuckers right offa these here cliffs.

e2: I'm getting a Swords & Sworcery vibe off of this game.

e3: "Bob tail"? "Shave tail"? Is that thing making crass commentary on Jonas' endowments? It's not "Bow tail", as would be applicable to our potential bow and actual ponytail. Sleepy time gal could be Ren, if they're being crass about people's pronouns as well, or pr0nz, as we call them. I'm stumped. I'll show myself out.

e4: About the morse code if we allow for a few errors it seems to say BESUREYOUHAVECORRECTDME over and over. Bacter's translation "SAVECOLRECTTIP.BESUREYOUHAVE__RE_TDME__E_RE_OUHAVE_ORRECTDME.BESUREYYUHA__" starts with SAVE, but that's likely just because the start of the signal is not captured, and the translation starts just past the first . in H, and then you get ... for S rather than .... for H. Same for COL in the same first repetition, just one . off from COR in "CORRECT", like this has .-.. for L while .-. is R. Then we have first a goonbait making sure we have correct "TIP", and the all the rest of them want to make real dang sure we have correct "DME", whatever that is. This might be deliberate, or a translation artefact from lossy/time slipping input, as TIP is "- .. .--." and DME is "-.. -- .", which differs by just one . and a few pieces of misplaced empty airspace. DME could refer to dimethyl ether; a fuel, or distance measuring equipment; which is important in navigation and aviation, or Disney's Magical Express; which is popular for travel in disneylands, so under these circumstances I guess you should make very certain not to pick the wrong one for your needs SO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE CORRECT DME PEOPLE!!!!!

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Morse: BE SURE YOU HAVE CORRECT DME is kinda weirdly put for something flying by Morse. The signal sounds like it's expertly sent even though the transmission/reception is bad. The pace is high and consistent, which suggests a skilled operator or a machine. The endless repetitions also suggest a machine, but machines tend to prefer other protocols than Morse today, and when Morse was popular there weren't many machines around which could eg translate text to Morse. So let's assume a skilled operator, but a skilled operator probably wouldn't waste clicks saying BE SURE YOU HAVE CORRECT instead of ENSURE CRRCT only to abbreviate the very key point of the message "DME" to ambiguity. So they could be dictating, or they could have taught themselves a good fist over the endless repetitions, which themselves are interesting, as they suggest this is either someone who has managed to hook up a tape recorder to a Morse machine (a none too shabby techie) or someone who has managed to hook up a tape recorder to a radio and doesn't use it to send voice (a dumb person; seems likely) or it's sent by hand by a crazy person, ghost or other being with too drat much time on their hands.

e: whoops, an update! Let's see if bacter upturned my wall of text even before i pressed send :)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
My first observation is that everything went to poo poo right after they drank all that shroom beer that Nona's "cousin" so graciously provided.

Bacter: This game inspires me for some reason :) If you tire of my spoiler walls just tell me and I'll cut back on them. Great going, I love it!

Jonas could be right that this is related to radio research. The Harden tower seems like a pretty capable and powerful installation that could be used (by game designers as a Chekhov's gun) for psychological manipulation, like TMS or the God helmet. Like, crank the Teslas to the Herzes and people start tripping balls.

Then, if this thing communicates Predator style, playing back clips that it doesn't really understand at people, then the Morse from before could be just nonsense. Throw some EM waves at the monkeys and see what sticks.

Maybe the Morse code was sent by one of those bulletin boards? Someone slapped that clip on one of them, and now it's being replayed forever.

The FM bulletin boards are a neat trick. It's a goofy but appropriate gimmick for a military radio research museum, and if opened for the public it'd guarantee a throng of people bringing a throng of radio receivers with them, capable of interfacing directly with the thing's favorite frequency range. Maybe someone wised up on that and pulled the plug half way through? Also maybe the thing now has an obsession with morbidity because the dumbass military museum guys kept feeding it death and war through the bulletin boards?

I can't make my mind up about this mechanism where you tune your pocket radio receiver in to a "red" frequency to make something happen in the world, that is not converting whatever FM stuff was going on at that frequency to sound. It's ludicrous, and not. In a quantum sense, you are now "observing" the transmitter, and every act of observation is changing the object under observation. In an EM sense, you are converting some of the EM energy in the signal to voltage in the receiving antenna. If someone had a gosh dang sophisticated piece of transmitter equipment, might they be able to pick this up as a difference in resistance on their end?

These mirages and paranormal things seem tryhardish, but do not seem that unreasonable as bad trips, as in cosy up with your head against the red lit transmitter in the tower, tune in to the ignition frequency, and brace the gently caress out of yourself because here comes the Tesla truck!

Another way of seeing the loop, is if that thing communicates with clips, does it only use EM clips? We've seen Morse and audio over EM (plus maybe possession + voice, if you want to credit that). Can it replay experience? As in clips of streams of consciousness? Of fantasies? Of projections? Fears? Does it still throw poo poo on the wall to see what sticks? That should be pretty bizarre to be on the receiving end of. It would also explain why some communications seems so benign while others are foreboding, and some (like the one cairn that bacter showed off just now) just seem like the pastiche modern horror staple trick 101 just like you'd expect one of these things should do. Maybe the tape recorder in the loop is a nod from the thing that well if you want to talk about something else then just say so daaaaang gurl! of all the topics of conversation you could have chosen you choose to talk about your friend stepping out the window like a weirdo well fine have it your way you stone cold gurl I can't believe you people.

Maybe we're being fed experiences in a simulation that the thing clamped down on us with in the cave?

Otherwise we could be dealing with multiple oddities at once. One dimensional horror let loose by the military radioing too hard at it and which is actually kind of a nice horror that just wants to know if we're fine and if it's safe to come out for a polite chat. Second is a bunch of sunken revenants in a can which they sunk in an abyss because they wouldn't stop radioing too hard into the abyss after the abyss radioed back into them. Third is a tribe of HAM freak indians that were massacred by the Portuguese on their arrival for their gross, continual and unapologetic violations of international radio etiquette on long wave (jesus Alex you moron, low frequency is long wave, goes around the globe, not just "to the base", you dumb poo poo just mindsharted all over the hemisphere, you dolt ugh). So maybe that's why the FM's all disconcerted at this spot in the geography.

Also it's pretty clear there's some radio jamming going on on the island. Radio waves travel really well and far over water. If you can see houses you'll very likely have a bunch of bars on your cell, especially if you climb up a bit TO THAT TOWER MAYBE?

"We are an island race and through all our times, the sea has ruled our breaks."
"For there will be other ships, and other souls to sail them"
"Above all victories, beyond all loss, despite changing values in a changing world."

This seems Indian to me. Maybe realities now are their islands? The last line seems to say they will outlast whatever reality throws at them, even the Portuguese. Maybe they peaced out of this reality when the massacring started, looking to peek out again when the massacring was done, about now? Could be they're now riding people as ships? Maybe Clarissa sucks so hard at shipping they'd rather pass this one up?

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 22, 2016

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

JEBOman posted:

So are there any actual spoilers in the spoiler tags in this thread? Or is it all just speculation and stuff that's in the videos?

Speculation here too. I just spoilered mine because my posts are on the same page / close to the updates I'm speculating about so if you have actually seen the videos you're fine. There's just dumb poo poo in there :)

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 25, 2016

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Cairn at 9:37? And at your feet at 25:05?

Bring Nona cause she seems cool. Also since neither bro would get of their potty nor cease their flinging, neither gets the prize. Maybe bringing Ren would be wiser since he might know where the key actually is, but nah let him chill the gently caress out for a bit.

Calling it now:

1) We've been fed hallucinations the entire night. Clarissa is fine.

2) We're not aware of all the loops. The ghosts are using the loops to get to know us, savescumming through our dialogue tree while making perturbations to the environment until they've mapped out how to turk their sock puppets so they behave as we expect. Maybe we're clueing in gradually, and the tape recorders are the litmus test; once we can see them then we're so aware that continued savescumming is useless, so then we pull the plug on the loop at an appropriate time ourselves, and set ourselves up for the next.

What's all that green mist at 6:54 btw? Also first time we met Nona there was a bit of green gunk in the air as well. Significant?

Also, can you tune in to any red light? You have a red light on top of the tower at 47:23, and also I guess you can see it in the background at 44:43.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Molly Millions posted:

Nona is...what has Nona ever done for us?

She gave us all that laced beer, remember?

• Locked thread