Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Gwen Anderson aka Bravura

Backstory posted:

How did you gain your skills?
Years and years of intense training. See, I used to be a ballerina.

I lived and breathed dance since I was about five. Boston School of Ballet, Julliard Pre-College, I was on the gueling fast-track to stardom. Did you ever have something you knew was bad for you but you couldn't get away from? Dance was like that for me. Loved it. Absolutely adored it. All kinds, ballet especially. It sucked down all my time. It shaped my whole life, took it over, the same way you hear about for child actors or Olympic athletes. I lived dance, I breathed dance, it crowded out everything else from my life. Which was fine, because I loved it.

Maybe I would have sought balance on my own. As it was, I didn't have a lot of a choice, becuase a the ripe old age of fourteen, I blew out my knee. Massively, the full on pins and staples and surgery and everything. It sucked. I mean, as you can tell, I'm fine now, but ballet's a harsh, obnoxious mistress. I was off the bar for two whole years and by that time...well, it's an art that chews up practitioners young, that's no secret. Sixteen and I freaking aged out!

But I had to stay active. I spent my off-years trying to jump to acting - you'd be surprised how many make that leap. Even Audrey Hepburn! I had a half-dozen good stage roles, but it's still tough. I tried to stay fit too, lots of swimming which is easy on the joints. A friend suggested I try archery - it's good upper body without straining my knee. That's pretty awesome and old school. Turns out it's well suited for heroing too, although I didn't plan it that way.

Backstory posted:

Why do you try to be a hero?

Says something that you'd ask that. 'Why do you, silly girl with no powers, try to do this?'. Because how could I not?! The chance to be an actual, real life superhero? Wow!

That and, you know, it's the right thing to do. My aunt's a big-time criminal defense lawyer, and...I know people hate them, but I guess all her talk about everybody deserving justice rubbed off on me.

Backstory posted:

Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn't be a superhero?

My parents aren't too thrilled. My dad, especially, thinks I've gotten seduced by the glamor. Which....he's not entirely wrong. Loving performing is about loving the craft, yes, though I'd be lying if I said it wasn't partly about performing, about the attention. I always thought I performed better with an audience. Gotta bring the A-game for the audience.

I keep telling them that moving to superheroing isn't that different from moving to acting. They were willing to send me to Prometheus. I can tell they're humoring me.

Backstory posted:

Why do you care about the team?

If I'm honest? Because they're a gateway to adventure. I mean, awesome as I am, I'm still just a chick with a bow. Can't fly, can't shoot lasers from my eyes. How else does a human get to hang out with godlings?

Backstory posted:

When did you first put on your costume?

About six months ago. After the emergence, I knew what I wanted - and if I didn't get powers...well, I had training. I had a new knee. Why not me? I intensified my training and talked to a few friends in costuming about getting an outfit. I think it's pretty slick!

I'll admit maybe I'd seen too many movies, but once I had the costume, I figured the thing to do was go out and....well, find trouble. Took me three days hanging out on rooftops and listening to a scanner app. Couldn't get to anything fast enough (drat, flying would be handy!)

thejoshie posted:

1. What was the final motivating factor that convinced you to join this “school”.

It's awesome.

No, really. Look, I know some students took this as their last change. Some took it instead of prison. Me...well it's like I said. When do I get to hang out with godlings? I've spent most of my life surrounded by exceptional people. I don't think I could just got back to a normal high school. Ick.

thejoshie posted:

2. While attending school, what did you do to catch the eye of Ms. Doring and convinced her into considering you to be a Valkyrie?

Even in super-school, there's a pecking order. There's the pretty girls, the athletes, the science club. And even if we're not following the John Hughes templates for poo poo anymore - c'mon, Mark Zuckerburg? - there's still kids who pick on other kids.

Why....well, I can guess. Angela Nelson's got super-strength and a huge chip on her shoulder and a rich family, so you do the math. She's been in this weird love triangle thing and one morning it just burst out in the dining hall. Angela went after tiny little Sonya Kim, yelling, pounding the table. It was gonna come to blows and everybody was dodging away.

Except me. Right, clearly the person who should dive in against the super-bruiser is the bog-standard human. Still didn't stop me, I went in. I took all the same martial arts classes as everybody else - hell, maybe I paid more attention. I didn't put Angela down, but I held my own until Miss Doring arrived.

My bruises lasted for weeks. Worth it.

thejoshie posted:

3.(Optional)What is the name of the School?

The Doring School for Gifted Youngsters. Clearly.

thejoshie posted:

4. (Optional)What shall the IC Thread be called?

I Love the Smell of Heroics in the Morning

quote:

Hero Name: Bravura
Origin: The Beacon
Look: Woman, White, Stylish Clothing, Flashy Costume
Abilities: Acrobatics, Archery & Trick Arrows

Stats:
Freak -1
Danger -1
Savior +2
Superior +1
Mundane +2

Moves:

Straight. Up. Creepin'.
When you scope out a person or place, roll + Mundane. On a 10+, ask 2. On a 7-9, ask 1.
  • What happened here recently?
  • What is being concealed here?
  • Who or what here is not what they seem?
  • Whose place is this?
  • What's my best way in/out?
On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The GM will tell you why this is a bad spot.

No powers and not nearly enough training
You're always picking up new gear to keep yourself in the game. Whenever you pick up a new piece of gear, you can write it in as a new ability if this line is empty.
Treat the new piece of gear as if it were any other ability. When you use the gear in a novel and risky way, mark a box to roll + Mundane instead of + Freak to unleash powers with it. When you mark the third box, the gear is used up, lost, or recovered from you in the process.

Drives:
Choose 4 drives to mark at the start of play. When you fulfill a marked drive, strike it out, and choose one: mark potential, clear a condition, take influence over someone involved. When your 4 marked drives are all struck out, choose and mark 4 new drives. When all drives are struck out, change playbooks, retire from the life, or become a paragon.
  • Lead the team successfully in battle
  • Kiss someone dangerous
  • Punch someone you probably shouldn't
  • Help a teammate when they most need you
  • Take down a threat all on your own
  • Show up an adult hero
  • Pull off a ridiculous stunt
  • Save a teammate's life
  • Get drunk or high with a teammate
  • Drive a fantastical vehicle
  • Get a new costume
  • Get a new hero name
  • Earn the respect of a hero you admire
  • Make out with a teammate
  • Punch out a teammate
  • Break up with someone
  • Stop a fight with sense and rationality
  • Tell someone your true feelings for them
  • Travel to an incredible place (or time)
  • Reject someone who tells you “you shouldn't be here”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

quote:

Who should be the leader of the Valkyries?

Sure, I'll get on the Sylphid bandwagon here.

thejoshie posted:

8. Bravura, We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

So, Sciomancer. Don't...don't even ask about his powers, it makes no freaking sense. He and Spambot hit this lab, and then we...kind of blew it up. Seriously, blew it up. I blame Shodan. Because, you know, she did it. Good news, nobody got dead, not even on the team. Bad news is, kind of incinerated the lab. We don't even know what Sciomancer was looking for. I got curious and one night Seraphim and I did some digging into the public records. There were a couple shell companies, a management company and a real estate trust. The lab looks like it was some kind of military R&D place. Sooooooo, that's bad. And nobody's talking. What the heck was Sciomancer looking for? Did he get it? What could be worth such an obvious attack?

Relationships posted:

Seraphim is awesome and you take every chance to hang out with them.

I get along with all the girls, really, except Shodan, who's...rather prickly. I enjoy time with Gabi - Seraphim the most, though. She really gets how cool it is to be doing what we're doing, that we don't need to be chewing glass all the time, we can also have fun. Fun's sometimes in short supply around here,so I like to hang out with her as often as I can.

Relationships posted:

You've got to prove yourself to Sylphid before you feel like a real hero.

Sure, Sylphid is the team leader, so there's that. But even more than that, she's this tremendous legacy. Everybody knows who Sylphid is...or a Sylphid, they might not know Carolin yet. She's got all this power, I'm...human. If I can keep up with her, then I'll know I've hit my peak.

Influence posted:

You are so excited to be here. Give influence over you to three of your teammates.

Sylphid and Seraphim, clearly, and....apparently Bravura's involved with Jewels.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 26, 2016

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Updated my previous post. Should be good to go.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Out at the moving pictures, will post later this evening.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Congress Appropriates Significant Trillions, Lacking Evaluation.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Agreed on that. Could add Jewels to Gwen and Gabi's room for extra drama. Too bad we don't have more G-named people.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bravura

It's been a rough time for the team, those first couple missions. Sylphid....kind of messed up, but what did Ms. Doring expect? It's not like she's got leadership experience.

Which means maybe I'll make mistakes next? No. No, I can do this, I know I can. I've got my own team and I've got the best roommate! Which....seems silly, I know. We're not super super close, but Gabi is become a good friend. She's really trusted me and knowing that she's Archangel's sidekick. Awesome.

+1 Influence to Sera, taking Potential

On Sylphid
- Did you uphold the traditions of your legacy?
She tried. I'd say that counts.
- Did you maintain the image of your legacy?
Not really.
- Did you make the other members of your legacy proud?
Probably not.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 23, 2016

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Awwwh. Best roomie. You'll be missed!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Hummm. I think it's more important to succeed at this point, will get potential later. And helps build Gwen's rep! :-)
So go for it. I honestly totally forgot about the Team.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Agree with Kitty's reasoning, Yes, No, Yes.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Hey all. Have been sick this past week, and also had a major work conference, so it all just turned to crap. I've recovered this weekend and will be writing up a post in the morning. Go Valks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Gonna bump this. TheJoshie, you still out there? Everybody still willing to keep going, if we can manage? Gwen and Jewels haven't had that date yet!

• Locked thread