Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Apping a Bull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

The Bull posted:

Hero Name: Jewels
Look: Female, White, casual clothing, no costume

Abilities: Superhuman strength, speed, and physical resistance from countless enhancements, forced genetic mutations and combined experimental Metahuman DNA. No known upper limit. Unmatched fighting skills from countless hours of forced training against other developing superhumans.

(Someone changed you, made you into a perfect weapon: superhumanly tough, incredibly strong, and uniquely skilled at fighting)

Backstory

Juliet and Mary Williams, ages 16 and 15

See the picture? That’s us there, my sister’s on the left. Not Mary, Juliet. I’m Mary. I’ll explain later. We took that a couple days before it happened. Right after the North Floridian Wormhole Disaster (you know, the one that turned southern Florida into an island). Right before we vanished. Look it up, Juliet and Mary Williams, we’re both missing persons, presumed dead. Even with the increasing metahuman accidents, neither of us really thought anything bad would ever happen to us because of it. And neither of us thought the Government was going to kidnap us.

We went to bed that night, and woke up the next morning in a big, windowless room, with about a hundred other kids everyone looking around confused and a bit groggy. Seemed like everyone was about thirteen to seventeen. The room was like a gym, except with sterile looking white walls everywhere, with fluorescent light panels along the top where a gym would have windows. Before anyone could start thinking clearly enough to really start to panic, two adults came out onto this little elevated platform thing. Like a stage.

One in a black suit, the other in a white lab coat. Two adults and their guards. Ten people, dressed up like Stormtroopers except without the black highlights, just pure white futurey looking armor, and big guns. They introduced themselves, Doctor Frank Shelton and Professor Victoria Steinway. Shelton in the lab coat, Steinway in the suit. Told us all to relax, we would be serving a greater purpose to our country now. We we’re part of the ‘Government Emergency Metahuman Manufactury Project’ or the GEMM Project. At that point people did start freaking out, and everything went black again. I suppose they gassed us.

When I woke up next, I was being strapped to a gurney. I didn’t get a good look then, but I was in a big room, bigger than the one we’d woken up in the first time, lined with rows and rows of cylindrical tanks, like they have Luke in after they get him back from the ice on Hoth, or Mewtwo in that Pokemon Movie. You know. Full of bubbly yellow liquids. Once I was strapped in, they wheeled me away.

I saw a few tanks as I passed, with someone floating in each one. Then I was in some kind of operating room. I don’t remember much of that, lots of complicated looking electronics. People in medical clothes. I suppose they must have given me some kind of anesthetic, since I didn’t feel anything, but I saw a lot of syringes passing by in the corner of my eyes. Then it was back in the tank. The last thing I remember seeing that first time was Juliet, floating in the tank across from mine. I’m not sure I was supposed to remember any of that. The few times I managed to talk to anyone, none of them did.

That happened a few times, and then I woke up again, in the gym-room again. We were all there, dressed in clothes that were like half Karate half military uniform. Steinway was there in her suit, and explained that we were to pair up and spar. If anyone refused, the entire group was given a small electric shock. If anyone resisted, the group got a larger electric shock. If anyone tried to attack the staff, we would all receive a shock strong enough to knock us out. After the first small shock, no one refused, no one resisted.

We’d pair up and spar, until everything went black again. When we woke up, we’d spar again. I don’t know how long any one session lasted, or how many days we spent repeating the pattern. Sometimes there’d be someone there to instruct us, sometimes it was just Steinway in her suit, watching. Long after I’d lost count, I woke up on the gurney again. This time, some of the tanks I passed were empty. But when things went black again, Juliet was there across from me.

This time when I woke up in the gym, we alternated sparing with lessons. Not really lessons. Just books and videos and lectures about America. How great we were. The growing threat the Metahuman population represented. Lots of slides about all the deaths caused by metahumans. Clips of the Flordian Wormhole, people and houses and things getting sucked in, the pieces that got sprayed out. Shelton directed those. The training and lessons blurred together again, and then it was back on the gurney. One in four of the tanks were empty this time. Juliet’s face is the last thing I remember again.

At the start of the third cycle, they added in some tests at the start, physical exams and… other things. Some of us were getting stronger, someone people were developing powers. They tried to see if I could predict the shape on the back of a card. Nope. I saw Juliet shooting lightning out of her hands. After that it was back to fights and brainwashing. It think it was working. No one talked anymore, even when there wasn’t anyone else watching. We were becoming Metahumans, and they were the enemy. That was what all the papers said. Sometimes they should us news reports of the damage caused by Metahumans. It was working on me too, but not as well. Juliet could never be the enemy, not my sister. I focused on my memories of her whenever I was supposed to be reading their propaganda.

Back to the tanks. There weren’t any new empty ones this time. Back to the blur of time. Back to the tanks. With no change, I’d have lost track of how many cycles we’d gone through soon. The gym. The tanks. The gym. I was getting stronger. I smashed a hole two feet deep into the floor one day with a punch the first time we were sparring. That was a short cycle, we didn’t go back to the gym that time. I remember spending a lot more time in and out of the tanks before we went back. There were even fewer of us in the gym the next time, and for the first time I realized the room was getting smaller, so we wouldn’t notice. When it was back to the tanks, half of them were empty, maybe more. I broke my partner's arm accidentally. We were practicing pulling people off balance by the arm. It felt like I almost pulled his arm off.

Tanks. Studies. Training. Studies. Tanks. Training. I couldn’t feel the punches from my partners anymore. One guy has skin that’s all cracked and smoking. Between the cracks it looks like hot coals. When we fought, my clothes burned off without me noticing.

Juliet. When I thought of her, I could keep my head clear. I couldn’t remember what my parents looked like, or my friends. But her face floating in the tank across from mine kept her firmly in my mind. As the cycles went on, the guards were getting careless. Not paying attention. None of us even glared at them anymore. And then when I was put back into the tank, the one across from me was empty. I didn’t black out that time. Her face. Where was it. I stared, forcing myself awake in the tank, waiting. She didn’t come back. It was so easy to break out of the tank. Alarms started going off. I smashed the tank across from me. Nothing inside.

I smashed the next tank with my fist. There was someone inside. They looked up, confused, staring. Then the guards ran in. They tried to shoot me, but it was like dodging a snail. I’d tossed one through a row of tanks before the second one managed to call for backup. They activated the shock. That hurt. But I could feel like, the pain was localized, to weak. I shoved my hand into my shoulder and pulled out the chip. I don’t remember much. I tried to find Steinway and Shelton. I did find some big room full of computer screens, and I smashed that. I found out later that I’d released everyone from the tanks. That was the Atlantic City Metahuman Rampage. Thirty odd kidnapped teens, trapped and experimented on, given weird powers and halfway through being brainwashed. Well you heard about how much of the city they destroyed. I didn’t join in, I just ran.

Ran until I run anymore. That was where Terry and Katherine Lawless found me, half naked, covered in weird experiment goo and rain, collapsed outside their apartment during the chaos of the rampage. They brought me in, cleaned me up, listened to my story. I’m not sure they believed me at first. They pretended to though. Didn’t tell anyone. They’d always wanted a kid, but never managed. So they ‘adopted’ me. Moved to Halcyon City so no one would know.

I took my sisters first name, since the government or whoever was really behind the project thought she was dead, but would know I wasn’t, and their last name. That was when I heard about Miranda Doring and her plan. The GEMM Project was government. They’d put it together, funded it, hid it. To have some kind of Metahuman force to stop the heroes. Well. It failed, or at least the branch I was in. They wanted to make the strongest metahumans possible I think. They didn’t fail that, they made one. They made me. But I ruined the project, I escaped.

So maybe that’s why they’re turning to Miranda Doring’s plan. Or maybe they’ll keep working on it. But if we pull this off, maybe no one else will have to get kidnapped. And maybe I’ll find out who is really responsible for it. Find Steinway and Shelton. Make them pay. Finally. If I can save some lives and enjoy a good fight along the way. Well, it’ll all be worth it, won’t it?

Moves
The Bull’s Heart
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.

Love: Bravura
Rival: Slyphid

Role
Defender: When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll +Danger instead of +Savior to defend them.

Friend: When you comfort or support your love or rival, mark potential on a hit. When your love or rival comforts or supports you, mark potential when they roll a hit.

Enabler: When you provoke your love or rival, roll + Danger if you are trying to provoke them to rash or poorly thought out action

Physics? What physics?
When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.

Punch everyone
Whenever you charge into a fight without hedging your bets, you can shift your Danger up and any other Label down.

There when it matters
When you defend someone, on a hit you can hold 1 instead of choosing one from the list. Spend your hold when they are in danger later to arrive on the scene ready to help.

Moment of Truth
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break. poo poo. down. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you can find you. And they'll come for you.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

Stats
Freak: +1
Danger: +2
Savior: -1
Superior: +2
Mundane: -1

Conditions:
□ Afraid (-2 to directly engage)
□ Angry (-2 to change their self-image or pierce the mask)
□ Guilty (-2 to provoke someone or assess the situation)
□ Insecure (-2 to defend or reject what others say)
□ Hopeless (-2 to unleash your powers)

Relationships
___________________ is your love. You've opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.

___________________ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence
You're focused. Give your love and rival influence over you, but that's it.

When our team first came together...
We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

1. What was the final motivating factor that convinced you to join this “school”.
Most of it I already said. But also... I didn't want to risk things for my parents. If the government is tracking me, and they might be... I'd rather them track me down to here, than to my parents house, where they might get hurt. A school of potential superheroes would be a lot better equipped to handle whatever they might try and pull as well.

2. While attending school, what did you do to catch the eye of Ms. Doring and convinced her into considering you to be a Valkyrie?
Ha! Mainly just be the best. I am very good. I mean sure I'm not Superman. I can't fly. But you don't really need to fly when you can leap tall buildings in a single bound. Or move faster than a speeding bullet, punch harder than a ... train? Something like that. Uh. You know what I'm trying to say, I think? Basically its just that I was good enough to stand out. You need someone who can take a blow and smash things in a hero team.

3.(Optional)What is the name of the School?
Valhalla

4. (Optional)What shall the IC Thread be called?

GodFish fucked around with this message at Jun 16, 2016 around 23:38

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

thejoshie posted:

ROUND ONE
Jewel

It’s good to see that you’re faring better Ms. Lawless. However…

…okay, I’ve kept this from you long enough, but it’s best I tell you now: the Government is denying that the GEMM project ever took place. The Florida Wormhole and the Atlantic City disaster are both being considered random acts of Metahuman terror.

It turns my stomach, because I believe every word you told me. Experimentation at the level you described… it breaks every single law, constitutional, scientific, and otherwise, that was ever written. The trauma you must’ve gone through concerns me.

How do you feel, that the possibility that your terror, your ordeal, is being swept under the rug? More importantly, how are you coping emotionally? Are you suffering from PTSD?

What, don't tell me you thought they were going to admit to that sort of thing? Of course they're going to deny it! .... Wait a second, are you implying the Flordia Wormhole was the result of another one of these .... Projects? loving poo poo. ... Oh, uh, Sorry about your table. Uh. I'd offer to buy you a new one, but... yeah. Not a lot of money.

But yeah. I never expected it to not be swept under the rug. Its just that I know its there. So I'll be pulling the rug off one day and getting that dirt back into the air. Or... whatever. Metaphors, not my strongest skill. But you can count on it, I'll find out how was responsible for this, and make them pay. But me, oh, I'm fine. Just fine! I had Juliet to keep me sane, and I still do now.

Its easier than I thought to live. I have my goal keeping me from going crazy, and I'm really good at fighting now. It's pretty fun, being able to smash anything out of the way. If only I'd been able to do this back then... Could have saved us all before anything had happened. Aside from that... I've got a year or two of popular culture to catch up on, movies, and the like.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

thejoshie posted:

Who should be the leader?

Now I know a lot of my teammates think we shouldn't have a leader at all, and I can see the appeal, but the truth is if we want to succeed at taking on powerful enemies and crime organizations (and governments) we need a strong leader who'll never break under pressure. And the only person suited for that position is me. Jewels 2016.

thejoshie posted:

1. Jewels, We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

We defeated The Sciromancer! ...Look I didn't name him, that was the name he picked, okay? Anyway he was attacking the Lab with Spambot to, dunno, get more science to mance, I guess? You'd have to ask someone else how "the power to control and manipulate science" works, because I sure don't understand it, but he can fly and shoot lightning and combine chemicals with his mind or something to make explosions. Anyway he's a big name villain, and we beat him up and drove him off even with Spambot creating like a million robot copies of himself to try and distract us, so take that anyone who doubts us!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

quote:

Relationships
___________________ is your love. You've opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.

Bravura! She's... Well, she's Normal, you know? Not 'normal' but Normal. No powers. But she's good enough to stand on the same ground as us, it's really impressive. And I think if anyone can understand what it feels like to go from being just a person to a hero she can. Its not like our circumstances are remotely the same, but she's lived both lives. So I told her about me, she's the only one who knows the full story. No one else on the team knows everything. Also she's really cute.

quote:

___________________ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Sylphid is my rival! I know her, and she's trusted me with her secret, so its not like I hate her or anything, but she somehow is convinced that she's the team leader, and keeps trying to boss us around! If anyone is in charge, it should be me, but even with that, during the fight with The Sciromancer she kept trying to tell me how to fight! As if I didn't know that. Hrphm.

quote:

Influence
You're focused. Give your love and rival influence over you, but that's it.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

thejoshie posted:

3. Grow away from the team. Explain how you feel detached. Take Influence away from another character.

The mission went rather terribly as far as teamwork was concerned. The first few attacks went well, and then Vermillion attacked the team, and when we encountered "Agent" Foster and he harassed Shodan and attacked Avatar, the team didn't respond appropriately to protect her/them in Jewels' opinion. Sylphid's leadership was remarkably poor, and Ms. Doring's response just pushed Jewels further away.

Sylphid loses influence.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I'd say
- Did you uphold the traditions of your legacy?
Yes
- Did you maintain the image of your legacy?
Maybe???
- Did you make the other members of your legacy proud?
No

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

It's when time passes, we should have all the team from since we got back from the fight.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Nown, for provoking PCs its
For PCs: on a 10+, both. On a 7-9, choose one.
•if they do it, add a Team to the pool
•if they don’t do it, they mark a condition

TheJoshie, I want to defend Bravura from that powerful blow, am I rolling against an NPC threat in this situation?

Posting here instead of irc because I'm gonna be asleep for awhile.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Yes, No, Yes.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

thejoshie posted:

PC Threat (The hug is the main source, and that's caused by Avatar. Sure, Warp amplified it with her daftness, but the hug is the main source)

How does this play out mechanically/fictionally? The provoke isn't actually targeting Bravura, so if I succeed does that mean the roll is reduced by 2 and it no longer provokes Jewels because it failed and Bravura doesn't have to take the powerful blow?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

My sheet has been updated to the newest version.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Okay, after conversing with thejoshie we're treating it as an NPC threat. Bravura is protected and doesn't have to roll to take a powerful blow!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

So when I went to remove Syphid's influence I noticed that Sylphid actually lost her influence on Jewels back at the end of session 'did you grow closer/further away from the team' bit. Up to thejoshie I guess if he wants to keep that part of the exchange we have or not I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Definitely still in!

• Locked thread