Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Interest post. Probably going Nova

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

I'm not scared.

I know what's going to come, sooner or later. I know my days are numbered - but they've always been numbered. It's not as scary, knowing you're going to die young, when you never had the illusion you weren't going to do so. The doctors always said - to my parents, when they thought I wasn't listening - that I'd be lucky to even reach adulthood, and in my darker moments I just wished it would end already, because what was the point? I was never like other kids, never could be.

Looking back, the... pity was the worst thing. The way I was treated like I was made of glass, like everyone had to be thrice as gentle or I might break. People speaking to me differently, going out of their way to change their language so it didn't 'upset' me, like I couldn't hear the absences in their sentences. Not being able to do anything even remotely athletic sucked, but not as badly as seeing the looks on peoples' faces; the sadness, the pity, the unspoken "I'm glad I'm not like her" written across their expressions. The people who got angry that I didn't respond to their bleeding-heart sympathy the way they expected or wanted, the people who coddled me and were shocked I wasn't grateful.

Soon enough, I had no 'friends' left. Was just written off as 'difficult' for daring to impugn on their perfect little lives. The day my 'best friend' confessed that this was all too hard for him, I thought about ending it all. That's when I stumbled onto the Myriad. I don't know how they got to Earth, what luck brought me to them at that moment, on that day, but it saved my life, in more ways than one. How to describe them...

They're nanomachines, of some extraterrestrial or extradimensional source, and they're amazing. Since I bonded with them, I've never felt sick since - I've felt more than healthy, and I can do things I can only describe as superpowers. Of course, there's a cost. I'm not at risk of certain death due to illness, like before, but the Myriad didn't lie or deceive me - as we bond further and further, the border between them and me will break down, until there's no separation. The more I take actions that aren't 'acceptable' to human society, and lose my grasp on what makes me human, the quicker it will happen.

But I'm not scared. I knew I wasn't going to live a long life. At least now I can do things with the time I have left - I can make a difference in the world, and that's all that matters, right?

quote:

Name: Amelia 'Amy' Lee

Hero Name: Avatar

Look: Female, Asian, Containment Suit, Steely Eyes, Medical Costume

Abilities: Body Transmutation, Vitality Absorption

Freak: +2
Danger: +1
Savior: +1
Superior: -1
Mundane: 0

Doom
What brings your doom closer?
Injuring innocents, Frightening loved ones

Doom Track: □ □ □ □ □
When your doom track fills, clear it and take one of your doomsigns.

Who is your nemesis? The Singularity - the thing the Myriad are fleeing from, and trying so desperately to defeat. An organism that is their antithesis.

At the end of every session, answer the question: Did you make progress on defeating your
nemesis? If the answer is yes, mark potential. If the answer is no, mark your doom track.

Sanctuary - the Myriad's Shipwreck - somewhere in the countryside. Its shielding and defences render it inaccessible to those outside of the Myriad, but it's still well known and easily surveilled.
You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers. There are 3 features of your sanctuary:
A library of valuable tomes; A containment system; A powerful computer

There are 2 downsides of your sanctuary:
Draws Dangerous Attention; Location Known To Many

When you call upon the deeper nature of your powers in your sanctuary, you can solve impossible
problems. Say what you want to do. The GM will give you one to four conditions you must fulfill
to complete your solution:
- First, you must _____
- You'll need help from _____
- You and your team will risk danger from _____
- The best you can do is a lesser version, unreliable and limited
- You'll need to mark one box on your doom track
- You'll have to obtain _______

Doomsigns:
Portal: Mark your Doom Track to appear in a scene with anyone you want.

Advances:
  • Burn+3 Flares: Boost, Shielding, Constructs

Backstory
- When did you first learn of your doom?
Immediately after I encountered the Myriad. They communicated it to me, and I understood and accepted it before I touched them, and let them bond with my body.

- Where did you get your sanctuary?
From the Myriad themselves, again. They showed me where their ship had crashed, in their desperate attempt to escape - showed me how I could access it through them, and it's wonderful.

- How is your nemesis tied into your doom?
The Singularity is what the Myriad fear most - one of their own, assimilating the million million voices of their race into a single, overwhelming will. Its very presence erodes the barriers of consciousness, crushes individuality into conformity. Its presence hastens the merging of me and the Myriad, and it seeks to absorb all of us into itself.

- Who, outside of the team, is crucial to facing your nemesis?
Ironically, it's a supervillain. The Archivist, who collects advanced technology and magic for his own nefarious deeds. The Myriad are convinced he has a weapon that can destroy the Singularity - at great cost.

- Why does the team matter to you?
Because I stand with them as an equal. I'm not just the sick victim to be pitied anymore. They'll respect me. They have to.

When our team first came together… We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?
(Will fill this in later)

Relationships
You told _______________ all about your doom and the danger you're in.
You'd love to kiss ________________ before your doom comes.

Influence
These people matter for what you need to do. Give Influence to two of your teammates.

1. What was the final motivating factor that convinced you to join this “school”.
There were two - the first was that I'd burned all the bridges I had in my old life. The second was that I was very, very obviously supernatural - I didn't see any reason to hide while time ticked down.

2. While attending school, what did you do to catch the eye of Ms. Doring and convinced her into considering you to be a Valkyrie?
I... had an honest conversation with her, that's all. My time is limited, I've sacrificed for this power. Any other would-be hero has their whole lives ahead of them - I don't.

3.(Optional)What is the name of the School?
Valhalla

4. (Optional)What shall the IC Thread be called?

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 22, 2016

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

thejoshie posted:

Ms. Lee, let’s start with a legitimate concern here… and it’s not what you think.

The Myriad. From the sound of things, they consist of some pretty advance technology and some of our techs are worried about that. It’s been proven they can take over people… but what about machines? Electronics?

I... don't know everything about the Myriad, but I have to think that if they could exist outside a biological host, they'd already have done so, right? I guess if the microwave starts talking, we'll know for sure. I'm pretty sure I'm the one in control (for now), anyway. I should test that out, it would be so cool!

quote:

And thinking this both ways, can other machines affect you? Radiowaves, E.M.P.and the like?

Yeah. Uh... I haven't tested it, for obvious reasons, but the Myriad have warned me about it. I get hit with an EMP, and it's 'goodbye Avatar, hello terminally ill little girl' for a while, if not forever. So... going to be avoiding those.

quote:

And tell me more about Sanctuary. You’ve been going there a lot during your free time. Where is it located? Who else knows about it?

It's located in a forest, not far from here. It's, uh... at the edge of a cliff - the one I was going to try to throw myself off. You have to go out of your way to get there, so it's not something that any random joe could stumble onto, but if people do know where it is, it's easy for them to keep tabs on it. I... don't know who else knows about it - aside from us, of course.

quote:

…have talked to your loved ones lately?

I might have, if I had any.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

quote:

Who should be the leader of the Valkyries?

Who says we need a leader? Frankly, I don't think we need one, or that anyone here is really qualified to boss the rest of us around!

thejoshie posted:

Avatar, We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?

Well, it was a complete mess. Like you'd expect from the first battle of a thrown-together-team. Sure, we won in the end, but the collateral damage sure isn't going to help how ordinary people see people like us, and we didn't even get the guy behind it all! So we're definitely going to have them to contend with in the future, except now they know who we are and what we can do...

quote:

You told Shodan all about your doom and the danger you're in.

I don't do this often, you know? I feel like it would just make people pity me again. But Shodan keeps... pestering me, like I'm some buffet dinner she wants in on! I'm not used to being pestered, and it's not as bad as pity, but I wanted to make her realize that it's not some amazing thing for her to SCIENCE with. ...I don't think it worked, though.

quote:

You'd love to kiss Jewels before your doom comes.

I mean... do I really have to explain this? She's cute.

quote:

These people matter for what you need to do. Give Influence to two of your teammates.
Sylphid and Bravura I need people like them who are focused on heroism for the sake of heroism to help me get at the Archivist.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
So, out of the three End-Of-Issue choices:

2. Grow into your own image of yourself. Explain how you see yourself and why; Shift one label up, one down. Max is +3

Avatar (with a little push from Singularity) is starting to become more confident in herself at the cost of being less empathetic towards others. +1 Superior -1 Mundane

And her view on Sylphid:

- Did you uphold the traditions of your legacy?
No (Specifically the vanquishing evil and not negotiating with evildoers portions; even if it was the correct choice to make in the situation, it wasn't the right choice)
- Did you maintain the image of your legacy?
No (We made a mess of things!)
- Did you make the other members of your legacy proud?
No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Guyyyyyyyys (and gals) come on.

I need those answers for my legacy roll.

Yes, Yes, Yes

And goddammit I always forget there's different provokes for PCs and NPCs. I pick the 'if you don't do this mark a condition' option.

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 12, 2016

• Locked thread