Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lisa Rèn - Vermillion Dragon

So uh. Right. A little bit about me. Well, I'm technically sort of a legacy hero, I guess? Part of the Dragon legacy. Stories of our family go back hundreds of years, thousands even, we apparently were blessed of the Azure Dragon, and given great strength as a family. I mean, our family survived every war in China, the bloodline never dying out, as bad as it became, so maybe it was true. But more than that, I mean, we have had some actual sort of heroes in recent years.

I mean, my great-grandmother secretly was the Rising Dragon, back during World War 2, a Chinese-American vigilante, protecting those of Asian descent from the rampant racism. She was something of an outlaw, and more of a villain back then, I mean, it wasn't until after she'd died that people really acknowledged she was a good person, and not some kind of supervillain. But I guess busting open internment camps with kung fu, and taking out dozens of armed guards was a bit much for people back then. She's kinda my hero still though, she was a wanted fugitive but she kept going, until the day she died. The problem with not being bullet proof is that one wrong move, no matter how skilled you are, and you're dead.

Grandma took up her mantle and uh, was even less popular. She was the White Dragon, and well, she got out to show the corruption behind the Vietnam war. She did a lot of work to expose atrocities, to call out politicians for hiding reports of the terrible nature of the 'war'. She was branded an actual terrorist, but some people respected her a lot. Once again, no powers - she was just well trained by her mother, and she embraced her mother's role past her death - she firmly believed that no one should ever need to die in this world, and that wars were naturally criminal. They never caught her, she just disappeared one day, leaving my mother with her father. The current terrorist watchlists list her as a 'current threat' still, but no one's heard from her in over thirty years. But apparently on the day I was born, the mark of her handiwork - a white dragon sigil - appeared in the room my mother had made for me, above the crib.

Mom was the first generation of the Dragon with uh, 'mainstream' appeal. She didn't have powers either, but Grandma had been training her since she was three years old, and so she was able to stand with the superhumans who made up her generation. She called herself the Azure Dragon for real, and was pretty successful for awhile, I mean, she had a good team, worked to stop a few country threatening incidents... no one knew her relation to the other Dragons, and she kept her identity well hidden. I uh, well, she doesn't talk about Dad often, but we think that's where my actual powers come from - she told me that the only man she ever loved said he would leave her a gift, and then leave her. And I was that gift.

So yeah - I wanna make it very clear, we've got no family history of powers - i mean we had superhuman speed from training, from thousands of years of passed down knowledge. Mom wasn't able to pass this to me though, I was... I was different back then, I was born with spinal muscular atrophy. Some gift, right? Broken daughter, couldn't even walk, was probably going to die before she was out of her teenage years. Mom couldn't really stop being a hero, so I got cared for by... well, teammates of hers, family members of theirs, butlers and maids sometimes - one of her teammates was rich, so uh, yeah.

The fact that my abilities showed up the way they did... mom couldn't have expected it. So, like a lot of kids, partway through puberty, my abilities manifested. I... well, the story from witnesses of our house that day said that a storm was above only our home when it happened, and that dozens of lightning strikes hit our home. Each and every one struck my body - the wracking pain of the electricity stimulated something in me, something different from my mother. My arms and legs became absolutely covered in thick red scales, my hands became giant claws... oh, and I also killed my mother, and burned down three other houses. No one else died, luckily but... well....

When a six foot tall monster of a woman is in the middle of flames, assumptions are made. I could barely walk at the time, I mean, my legs were powerful, but trying to stand, to move, it was odd to me. So when the police surrounded the home and I stumbled outside, I couldn't even try to escape. That's when I learned these things on my back are bullet proof at least. It uh, well, they apparently called in some heroes when I fell and covered myself with them, assuming I was going to do something. So my first meeting with actual heroes after my transformation had them beating on me. It took... it took awhile after my arrest, for my story to be reviewed - the only reason anyone even took a second glance was that they found my mother's 'base' in our basement.

So lets go over the things that contributed to me being named a 'menace to society' - I burned down three homes, I killed someone, I have claws that are so sharp that no known material weaker than diamond is fully resistant to them, I have horns growing out of my head, I have wings that are powerful enough to support myself and a few others in flight... oh, I can also lift multiple hundred pounds, and... well, lets just say I can be very, very destructive when I want to be. That, combined with the fact that I... well, I transformed when I was thirteen, and went from being under four and a half feet tall to being over six feet. It's been a few years since then. I have not stopped growing. I stand at a little over eight feet now, one of the largest women supers in the world whose powers aren't size based.

So with all this, what made me feel convinced that I had to join this school, that I had to join this team? It's a matter of helping people, not a matter of honor, not a matter of making up for my sins. My great grandmother fought the government when it oppressed people, she did not ask to be viewed as a hero. My grandmother fought a society of war, of terror, of inhuman acts, she exposed secrets that showed we were not the good people we pretended to be. Mom fought because it was in our family to fight, she didn't want to be famous, she wanted to protect the world. She always told me the stories of these great things.

And, well, I figure who would be better to help me find my father, than the actual government? They must have some way to track down those with powers, maybe... and if not, I still would need the training, because I clearly was not going to have a normal life - I can't even hold someone's hand, let alone type on a computer or do any kind of precision work.

quote:

1. What was the final motivating factor that convinced you to join this “school”.

Well, besides being a bit of a pariah socially, and wanting to help reform the image of Heroes, it was because of the connections that I could make here. I want to know why what happened did happen, I want to find who my father was, and why I've never once met him. I know he has to be a Powered of some sort - the nature of my own form is obvious as such, for had I been holding the power of Qinglong, as my family is said to, I would look very different from this... western look. I presume he has powers similar to my own, so I mean - just look for the freaks, the standouts... the weird ones.

Okay, sure, and it's because I wanted to be able to fit in somewhere, maybe. Not that anyone here looks weird, everyone's just... small, and stares at me as much as the civilians tend to when I walk around. I'm a bit jealous of the ones who can just... take off their costume.

quote:

2. While attending school, what did you do to catch the eye of Ms. Doring and convinced her into considering you to be a Valkyrie?

Well, it wasn't exactly being a model student, but it was being a good person, I guess. See, we have some teachers here who are a little harsher than others, and they push us in a lot of different ways. Some of us didn't excell at 'live fire' practices, where we got to use our powers in combat, and Agent 'Coach' Matthews, on loan from some sort of government program, well, he's kind of a cock. He's got no powers, and he thinks people with powers are a risk. He's a good fighter too, well trained, was military, then went government full time. He's harsher on those of us with powers, and some of us with powers don't instantly have the courage to stand up to a large adult man yelling at us. One time he was taking his frustrations out on Warp. who uh, well, his power is just teleportation, but it triggers when he's scared mostly.

He got really, really upset at Warp, for failing to really take to the lessens - he was always running away. And then Warp teleported while he was being yelled at, and... well, Agent Matthews didn't like being ignored, and went on a big authority kick. So uh, I punched the instructor. Not with my full might, but I hit him, and put myself between him and Warp. Because I am more than happy to take his abuse, I can take it. So yeah, I'm not on the team for the best reason - I'm not the best choice for it, probably, since we want to prove that we are not rogue agents. But I've got what was described as a good sense of right and wrong. So... yeah.

quote:

Hero Name: Vermillion Dragon
Mask: Transformed
Look: Woman, Mixed Asian, Scaled Flesh, No Costume, Piercing Eyes
Abilities: Inhuman Might, Impenetrable Armor

Labels:
Freak +3
Danger +1
Savior +1
Superior -1
Mundane -1

Conditions:

Moves:

Not Human Enough: When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Unstoppable: When you smash your way through scenery to get to or away from something, roll + Danger.
On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want.
On a 7-9, choose one: mark a condition; leave something behind; take something with you.

Coming for You: When you mark a condition, take +1 forward against the person you most blame for causing it.

Be The Monster: When you frighten, intimidate, or cow others with your monstrous form, roll + Freak. On a hit, they are thrown off and make themselves vulnerable to you, or they flee. On a 10+, choose 1. On a 7-9, choose 2.

- You frighten others you had not intended to scare.
- You hurt someone or break something you shouldn't have.
- You feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM's choice).

On a miss, they react with violence, hatred, and paranoia, and you suffer the brunt of it.
[i]

Team? What team?: When you use Team selfishly, clear a condition or mark potential. The first time in a session that you use Team to help a teammate, take +1 forward.

Backstory:
When our team first came together...

We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

Relationships:
___________________ comforted you when you were at your lowest.
___________________ knew you before you changed.

Influence:
You try not to care what other people think, even if it isn't going too well. Give Influence to one teammate..

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

quote:

Leader stuff

Who cares who leads us? We're smart enough to know how to follow whoever is in a position to lead at the moment - calling someone the Leader just means they think they're more important than the other people on the team, and we're all here for the same reasons, aren't we? Why encourage that?

quote:

We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

Our first mission was fine we did fine, but of course everyone has some critics. So what if we made use of a a city bus to deflect the villain from hurting some civilians? I mean, it's better than people getting hurt - and no, I totally didn't intentionally let the mayor's picture be the part that got destroyed. And no, I also didn't know that he had just finally gotten the funding for the new busses a few months back, and spent all of it. Look, I don't get why he hates us - we saved people, it's not our fault that his stuff got damage by a villain!

Jewels comforted you when you were at your lowest.

Seraphim knew you before you changed. -

Mom and Archangel actually worked together pretty often - you know, stopping world damages and stuff. I'm uh, I'm pretty different now, from back before when I sometimes 'got' to meet the heroes.

You try not to care what other people think, even if it isn't going too well. Give Influence to Avatar

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 25, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ill be posting in this later tonight. Sorry. The week is incredibly busy right now, since I'm moving around and stuff. I kinda didn't expect the game to start instantly haha.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

- Did you uphold the traditions of your legacy?
Yes.
- Did you maintain the image of your legacy?
Haha no, you can't even control your own team, what a bad legacy member clearly.
- Did you make the other members of your legacy proud?
Nay, friend.

3. Grow away from the team. Explain how you feel detached. Take Influence away from another character.

Everything I do gets questioned and fucks up. I try to save a villain from getting a brain injury, and everyone's mad at me. I try to help a teammate, and everyone's mad at me. I stand up for myself, and the one time that someone sides with me, I then don't realize they were feinting, and accuse them of something terrible.

So yeah. I think half the team hates me, and the other half thinks I'm just a charity case monster.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 21, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Just so everyone knows, since I've said it in IRC a few times but that's not super easy to follow always -

Monday through Friday this week I am driving across country. This means all my posts will be done around 10pm PST at night, or later. That's like 1am EST! I will aim to make a post every day however, if I owe one.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Hey TheJoshie - Bravura got a 6 on that roll. HOWEVER! Whenever the scene changes, the team moves back to 1 team in the pool, even if we haven't earned any more by having the leader have influence on us or anything like that.

Do we have that 1 team still? Can I spend it to let Bravura succeed?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

PlatonicSolid, I just wanna make sure you're cool with it if I do it, since it will lose you a point of potential. :)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yami Fenrir posted:

Guyyyyyyyys (and gals) come on.

I need those answers for my legacy roll.

Yes, No, Yes.

You got beaten up, let your teammate be beaten up, and lost. Your legacy looks bad. RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rawr, am dragon. :smaug:

• Locked thread