Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Sylphid

Huh? Yeah, I'm Sylphid. What is it? I'm busy-- Oooh, wait, you're Ms. Doring, is that it? Sure, let's talk. ... My powers? Right, you'd probably need to know those. Let's see... I'm one of the fastest people alive, I can summon weapons and I am supernaturally beautiful. ... Vain? I'm being vain? No, seriously. It's an aftereffect of the pact and -- oh, crap... I wasn't supposed to tell you about that.

Well, I suppose you of all people should know about the power of your students... But, uh, I don't actually know all that much about it. Apparently my ancestors back in the middle ages made a pact with the actual sylphids, you know, the spirits of wind. I'm not sure how they ever managed to convince them to care about humanity, but clearly they did. They gave them powers in return for fighting injustice and whatever. Yeah, this whole superpower stuff has been around for ages, in a more toned down way. Well, of course they called them witches back in the day, but you get the idea.

As for the heirs, as we call it, we get powers over the wind in some form, but it's different for everyone. My mother was more of what you'd think a mage would be, but for me it's more physically based. Like summoning blessed weapons, moving like the wind. The only thing every current heir to the power has is the incredible beauty. ... Stop saying that! It's true! I don't even look that amazing without the blessing. Ugh, do you have any idea how annoying it is to constantly get hit on, by both genders?

Uh... Please don't tell mom that I blathered out any of this...

quote:

When did you officially become a part of your legacy?

Well, when the Clara chose me and we made the pact to turn me into the next Sylphid, of course. ... Which, incidentally only happened because my mother, aka my predecessor got maimed by my grandmother, but... I'll... explain it later. maybe. Really, I never wanted any of this, but my little sis is too young, and not to mention she's way too much of a crybaby to ever be an actual hero! ... Please don't tell her that, either...

quote:

What's the best story you always heard about your legacy?

You know her already, don't you? My grandmother. The Sylphid from WW2? Yeah, that was her. You fought alongside with her back then, from what I've heard. She was one of the major heroes back in the day, I was told. You know, before she switched sides and became the Blue Empress. Yeah, those two are one and the same. I'm... sorry. I heard you were good friends back in the day.

quote:

How does the public perceive your legacy?

Pretty good. Well, as far as being metahumans can get, really. Sure, there's a few haters, but most people seem to actually have accepted the Sylphid as a legit legacy of heroes now. Of course this means the expectations are sky high, pun not intended, and really I'm not sure I can meet them. No pressure, right? ha... ha...

quote:

How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a hero?

Well, uh, it kind of started with my grandmother maiming my mother horribly in a fight. It's kind of hard to be a hero when you can barely walk, right? Uh... oh poo poo, I'm sorry. I... forgot. Anyway, she's down for the count and someone has to take up the coat. Otherwise the sylphids would be pissed. Breaking a pact is about the worst thing you can do when you're dealing with a spirit. ... not that I ever wanted to, but if the only other choice is my sister... yeah.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

Strength in numbers, right? ... okay, there's more to this. Look, I am legit terrified of what my grandmother might do to me. She freaking maimed her own bloody daughter already, and who knows what she's up to now. She's blamed most of her problems on our family's pact with the sylphid, and while she was very fond of me back in the day, from what little I've was told about her, I really do not trust that to be enough for her not to go after me. I NEED the extra firepower and protection if I have to face her. Which, if you couldn't tell already, I am NOT looking forward to.

quote:

What was the final motivating factor that convinced you to join this “school”.

What? I need one? Look, I already told you about the whole thing with my grandmother. That's why I joined. ... okay, I was actually looking forward to making friends with some other metahumans, but that's only a boon, really. ... Really. It's not like I'm lonely or anything. Really. I mean, Clara's company... but she's not actually human, you know?

quote:

While attending school, what did you do to catch the eye of Ms. Doring and convinced her into considering you to be a Valkyrie?

Not much, really. It's already well known that our legacy produces great heroes, you know our family personally, and I'm just the next in line. I mean, I'm not sure if I'm going to be all that great at it, but if you're convinced...

quote:

(Optional) What is the name of the School?
Valhalla, of course. Never not go full ham on it.

quote:

(Optional) What shall the IC Thread be called?
Ride of the Valkyries: Falling and failing gracefully.

Sylphid posted:

Hero Name: Sylphid
Secret Identity: Carolin Veras
Mask: Legacy
Look: Female, White, Comfortable Clothes, Predecessor's Costume
Origin: empowered by spirits
Abilities: magic weaponry, legendary speed, god-like beauty

Labels:
Freak: 0
Danger: -1
Savior: +3
Superior: 0
Mundane: +1

Moves
Words of Past: When you seek the guidance of your legacy, ask one of them a question. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you disobey them, mark potential.

Never give up, never surrender
When you take a powerful blow, use this move instead of the base move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
- You get an opportunity or opening against your attacker.
- You rally from the hit, and it inspires the team. Add a team to the pool.
- You keep your attacker's attention.
On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

I know what I am: Once per scene, when you defend a teammate you can shift Savior up and another label down in addition to any other benefits from the move, even on a miss.

Fight the good fight:
When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll + Savior instead of +Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.

Advances taken:
Fight the Good Fight
I know what I am
Remaining Powers

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don't, shift Superior up and any other label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a Condition and give them Influence over you.

When our team first came together…
All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships
You once got caught breaking your legacy's rules with ______________.

You trust ______________ and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Influence
You're a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give influence to all of your teammates.

At the start of the session, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet's nest - expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.

Your legacy comes with traditions you're expected to uphold. At the end of each session, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. For each “no” answer, take -1 forward on your next start of session roll.
- Did you uphold the traditions of your legacy?
- Did you maintain the image of your legacy?
- Did you make the other members of your legacy proud?

Legacy posted:

Celerasaphie (Clara) is still (sorta) active and prominent in the city.

Hoo boy. Where do I even start with Clara. Well, her real name is Celerasaphie. She's one of the sylphids, and she's basically their liaison with us. She assumed a human form and... really mostly just hangs out with us. She's... basically been part of the family since the pact. From her, I learned quite a lot of things about wind spirits. See, most people (that know about them) think they're incredibly energetic and have an intense wanderlust. It's... not completely true. Mostly, they're just really, really bored. All the time. So Clara here? She mostly plays videogames. All freaking day. And night. Incidentally, she's also the one who essentially pre-picks the next generation's Sylphid.

... Sometimes I have a feeling she chose me simply because I buy her new games and play with her a lot... I wouldn't put it past her, really. Perhaps it was her love for human games that allowed our ancestors to make a pact. Yes, she's about a thousand years old. Her human form, anyway. Who knows how old she really is ... Not that she actually has any wisdom to back that up. ... You didn't hear that from me.

Okay, anyway. She doesn't really come out to fight bad guys all that often, but if she does... you can tell just how powerful she is. She's a big step above mom, even in her prime. She even fought grandmother to a standstill despite the demonic empowerment! Sure wish she could be convinced to actually help us make a difference, but no go. Mostly, she just goes outside and beats up a bad guy if the noise is distracting her from playing video games or something. At least, I think that's what's happening. Most people think she's a second Sylphid, but of course that isn't true. Thankfully, she has enough sense not to blather about it. Also, don't ever play against her in Street Fighter. Just... personal experience. It's her favorite game, and it... it shows.

Anna Veras is retired and judgmental.

My mother. I love her but... She didn't really take her forced retirement well. See, she had a battle with my grandmother a month ago. She just barely avoided being crippled completely, but as is, she can just barely walk. Completely unfit to do her work as Sylphid. I know she's probably just doing it because she worries about me and wants me to do my very best, but... she's constantly nagging about anything and everything I do, constantly berating me about the tiniest things and... ugh...

Jessica Veras is the next possible member of your legacy.

Not much to say here. My little sis. Will take over my job as Sylphid one day. You know, for when I get smashed horribly as well. Ha ha.

... okay, fine. She's a pretty good girl, I mean she's even devout catholic and going to church and donating to charity and whatever, but she's got trouble keeping her emotions in check. Usually a cry baby, but right now she's apparently far to focused on being really jealous of me. Like, holy poo poo, girl. Calm down. Clara chose me, not you, so don't bloody let it out on me, okay?

Veronica Veras/The Blue Empress is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced...and is still at large.

My grandmother. No, seriously. I wouldn't joke around on this one. See, she was the Sylphid before my mother. Except, when a mob killed her best friend back in the day during a metahuman witch hunt, she just... snapped. She broke her pact, and turned to much darker powers, gaining eternal youth in the process. Now using the power of blood, she is very much a perversion of everything our family stands for. Her new powers are a combination of mine and mothers', basically even stronger versions of what she had during her Sylphid days. And... she's the one who almost crippled my mother in her last showdown, coming out basically unscathed. If she couldn't beat her... how can I?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

thejoshie posted:

Sylphid

Yes, I remember your Grandmother well. She told me all about the legacy she upheld. She was diligent about it. A good leader… and a great friend. I was your mother’s godmother. I never knew she and the Blue Empress…

Ms. Veras, I understand if the next set of questions will be a bit… traumatizing and I’ll cut it if you can’t go further… but if you please…

What lead to the Blue Empress crippling your mom? I mean… I know about the loss of her best friend, I was at the funeral, but I lost track of her… what changed her? Why would a mother maim her own daughter? What brought along such hatred towards her… towards ‘you’?

She seems lost somewhere between thought and terror for a moment, before sighing and speaking up.

... N-No, I don't think it's hatred at all.

This probably needs the full story though. Most of this is from what mom told me, though. I mean, I wasn't even born yet before a lot of this happened. See, grandmother was one of the most powerful Sylphids ever. But, her turn was supposed to be over far before WW2 ended. However, she managed to negotiate being allowed to fight it to it's end. ... I have a feeling you know where this is headed, don't you?

Yeah, she basically had to concede her powers right after coming home. The thing is, she didn't come back a hero. No, she basically came back right into a witch hunt - powerless. There was nothing she could do to save her best friends life. She was despairing. Hateful. And most likely, she didn't want to make her daughter suffer the same fate. She begged for the millennia old contract with our family to be ended, but the spirits refused.

After that, she drifted apart from our family until they stopped having contact altogether. Then, a month ago, she suddenly shows up again - but not as the old woman she should have been, given her age. No, she was... young. Not too far from my age, actually. At her prime. But she was... different. Warped. Mother already realized what was going on, but she was powerless to stop it. See, grandmother took a pact with forbidden powers. And they're forbidden for a reason. See, blood spirits, they... they can and will give you a lot if things, but... they demand more and more back. Most people succumb to madness almost immediately. The fact that she was able to stay as sane as she was speaks for her talent.

Turns out, she never gave up on ending the pact with the spirits she saw the cause of most our problems. I mean, it's not like she's entirely wrong. Being a hero has it's downsides. It's dangerous and often thankless. But, still... she went off the deep end. She wanted to kill Clara. But, she wasn't around at the time. So she took the next best option - making sure my mother can't do her job as Sylphid anymore. To be honest... I think it was some sort of twisted, mad display of love towards her family. Before to long, Clara returned... with me. The two of us had been doing groceries, and returned to... this.

I still remember it clear as day. I've never seen Clara be angry before, but she was outraged. She basically lashed into grandmother before I could even process what happened. The two were roughly evenly matched and ended up fighting to a standstill, but neither could really do any harm to each other. So, Grandmother bailed. But the damage was already done. Grandmother had likely hoped that this would be enough, as I technically wasn't old enough to inherit the title yet. But no, the spirits didn't care. I'm Sylphid now. And, like I said, I'm afraid what will happen if she finds out about it... if she hasn't already.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 22, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

thejoshie posted:

Sylphid

Writes on notepad

Right. Thank you for your honesty, I know this is difficult to talk about. Let’s change to something pleasant.

Celerasaphie.

When you wrote about her, I was intrigued and I definitely want to meet her. I never met a Sylphid before.

That being said… how much does she trust you? Don’t get me wrong, there is no reason to distrust her, but, say, if you had to keep secrets from her, how would she take it?

She picked you and she picked your heir… does this mean she picked Veronica as well? Were they close? What… criteria does she use? I know you might not ‘know’, but give me a guess.

She visibly lightens up as soon as the topic changes to Celerasaphie.

Oh, that can be easily arranged. I'm sure she'd love to meet you.

Huh? Oh, hm. Well, to be honest, she doesn't mind at all. I mean, sure she's a bit of a ditz, but... she's still been living with a human family for a good couple of centuries. She's basically a big sister to me. ... A big sister that's been alive for longer than some countries exist, I know...

But, anyway. Prepare... to be disappointed. I mean, she's super nice and all, but don't expect ancient knowledge or whatever. She's really nice, but... also pretty aloof. The spirits just think a lot differently from us. Not to mention that she's also kinda... lazy. Generally getting any information at all out of her is pretty hard, even something mundane as where she put a hairbrush. But I think she genuinely enjoys being with humans, especially children. Even if the conversations tend to be pretty awkwardly one-sided...

Her seemingly good mood disappears as the topic goes back to her grandmother.

Yes, of course. She did. I mean, she's been around when my grandmother was a baby. It's kind of hard not to be close to someone when you've been in someone's life from minute one. Now, of course I don't know the exact details of why she picked her. Hell, I don't think anyone in the family does, as weird as it sounds. She's not exactly forthcoming about it. She basically just walks up to you and says "You're Sylphid now." ... not like I'm speaking out of experience or anything at all. She didn't do that with me. At all. It wasn't sudden at all or anything.

If she does have criteria, they're pretty drat arcane. Maybe it's got something to do with being a kind person or whatever, but... I still keep to my pet theory that she literally just picks whoever indulges her 'hobbies' the most. She's just the kind of person where it wouldn't surprise me at all, you know?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Well I could wait for axe and godfish to get their act together but that feels like a giant waste of time, so I am posting now instead of at #5.

quote:

Who should be the leader of the Valkyries?

Shamelessly voting for myself. I mean, Sylphid already had a month's experience beforehand, and she's likely to be the group's face as is - what with godlike-beauty literally being one of her superpowers. Might as well make it official, yes?

quote:

When our team first came together...
All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Archangel. Yeah, uh... I'll be honest, I'm not very proud of this one. See, the man kind of got... different values than most heroes. So when Shodan blew up half the city to destroy some robots (grumble, grumble...) he praised us for being such an effective team right off the bat!

Goddamnit. DON'T GIVE SHODAN IDEAS!

quote:

You once got caught breaking your legacy's rules with Shodan.

Yeah... uh, not sure how to say this but just hanging out with that lunatic borders on breaking our rules. But on top of that, she's a bad influence. Without even realizing it, she ended up talking me into abusing my gift of beauty for personal gains. Well, more like her gain, so it's kinda flaky, but... still. I got to be more careful around her.

quote:

You trust Jewels and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Jewels seems like a good person at heart. Not to mention, she's been through far more hardship than I have. And she's keeping secrets on her own.

... Well, okay, I may have blathered out we have a pretty well stocked occult library hidden away below our home. And, uh... actually invited her there. It's just... she's so sympathetic to me. She's in a way shittier situation I am, so I just felt like we could trust each other. I mean, she thought it was ridiculous, but at least she didn't laugh about it... Oh boy, I really gotta learn to keep my mouth shut.

quote:

You're a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give
influence to all of your teammates.

There ya have it. Influence for everyone!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GLYhy0dJg4vJalU-SZhXJKYkEk44ay9GJMmkYSptdMo/edit#gid=0

String sheet for you people that are for some reason not in #swampthings all the time!

Also I volunteer for giving me influence because the leader can give the entire team a bonus if they have influence over the team.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

thejoshie posted:

A thought:

Valkyrie, apparently have three bases.

1. The school itself.

2. Avatar's Sanctuary.

3. ......the coffee shop.

In reference to three, would this make Valkyrie the Seinfield of superhero teams? :p

Anywho, still at work, will jump into IRC when I return home. I have early shift. XD

The coffee shop is the hideout of the enemy! Do not be fooled by their lies!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Sylphid + Shodan simply must happen. They contrast each other too much not to, it's bound to be hilarious.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 1, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

thejoshie posted:

1. Grow closer to the team. If your character feels closer to the team, choose a person that made you feel the most welcome. Explain how, give influence to that character and mark potential.

Strange for me to say it... but despite all that happened, I feel like we could become a great team, given time. We just need to learn to know each other better, and make compromises.

Of all the people, I think Shodan has confirmed that the most to me. Despite her coarse demeanor, it's pretty visible she's just doing it to keep up her own image of toughness. She's actually pretty nice beneath it!

... I'm not sure why I'm thinking of all this while currently being strangled to death, but whatever.

]Giving Shodan Influence again and marking potential. Shodan, you get to shift my Labels.

Also! I'm going to need answers from all of you for the following:

quote:

Your legacy comes with traditions you're expected to uphold. At the end of each session, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. For each “no” answer, take -1 forward on your next start of session roll.

For reference, here's the kind of insane and mostly awkwardly carried over from medieval times traditions of the Sylphid line:

quote:

1. Never use your gift of beauty for personal gain.
2. Do not indulge in beverages.
3. Do not gamble.
4. Always follow the law, unless the lawgiver or his enforcers abuse it for evil or break it themselves.
5. A sovereign’s request or order is law, unless they have been previously found guilty of evil or abusing the law.
6. Vanquish evil whenever you find it, search for it whenever you don’t.
7. Do not negotiate with evildoers.
8. Always be courteous of other people.
9. Protect the innocent with your life.
10. Watch your surroundings – be wary of damage to a lord’s property.
11. Listen to the wind half an hour, each day – it will tell you secrets if you only listen.
12. Alchemy is forbidden.
13. Do not speak of your pact, your true nature, or the spirits unless absolutely necessary.
14. Do not elope with a pact-bearer of another element.
15. Do not get involved in battles between nobles – only answer to the sovereign of your country.
16. Detain bandits, robbers, and other scoundrel on sight and hand them over to the nearest guard post.
17. Do not speak to the pact-bearers of fire.
18. Bring good winds to the seafarers whenever you are able.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 20, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hey, I think the influence sheet is botched again. I'm fairly sure Fission didn't lose influence over Sylphid.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Once again, I need answers to the following questions from everyone:

quote:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Guyyyyyyyys (and gals) come on.

I need those answers for my legacy roll.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Axe-man posted:

No, no, no

That's kind of far off from the average so far. Mind sharing your reasoning?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 12, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

GodFish posted:

So when I went to remove Syphid's influence I noticed that Sylphid actually lost her influence on Jewels back at the end of session 'did you grow closer/further away from the team' bit. Up to thejoshie I guess if he wants to keep that part of the exchange we have or not I guess?
Oh, whoops. Sorry about that then, I didnt check. I just went with what i remembered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

We're in the middle of a fight nobody gets to leave :colbert:. I'm certainly not.

• Locked thread