Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Click for Theme Song

There were rumors at first, no one knew what was happening, though meta humans and heroes were out in the open none acted like this one. There wasn't any bargaining or talking like the others, the villains had gained an upper hand and it felt like the world was going to fly apart and it almost did. At the moment that was almost the tipping point a group of villains held senators hostage, at the Super Bowl. The world seemed like it was about to tear itself apart.

Minions walked the halls with their automatic rifles under the stadium and that is where the first reports of the person come from. The video cameras showed a leather clad person in a motorcycle helmet walk through a wall, and kick the shins of a guard before punching another one. They knocked both out swiftly and then moved on, running through the walls, on one the cameras caught him fired on and walking through the fire until he punched the guard in the face.

There was no monologue with them, there was only direct and focused action toward a certain goal of saving people. Each one dealt with in as effective and efficient method as possible. Not a thing to expected to in a world with a cult of the hero. Where others were known for going for the villain directly he defused his plans before, letting more flashy and more super powered heroes rush in and finish the job. There would have been no idea that he had done anything if it hadn't been for the former Liberty Lass.

Her motor-driven wheel chair followed the masked figure as they walked over to the motorcycle. Like before there was no talking, and there wasn't anything that could stop them from leaving and so they left. But Mrs. Doring kept an eye out for reports of them again. She knew what to look for and with examinations of surveillance figured out the powers that they might have. She was right, in the night there was reports of a masked person wearing a heavy overcoat and gloves with a helmet and gasmask who used a voice modulator.

It was easy for someone like Mrs Doring to find their lair, the reports were all centered around a single location, an old abandoned factory. When she went to the factory, she found the motorcycle, torn and tattered, but parts strewn around. In the corner a cot, and only a few items, and an old book bag with a single picture on it. It was an older middle eastern man with glasses and a young girl next to him, she was hugging him, on the other side of him was a tallish boy that looked a bit annoyed by the picture.

"Family" The oddly distorted voice said from behind, "Can't let them get hurt, just want to help." The wheelchair turned around slowly, and they stood behind behind the woman in the wheelchair. "Seen that happen to much, if I am a nothing, then I cannot be hurt." They looked at the aging super heroine, and there is a small smile that creeps across her face. "Would you want to learn how to save people?" Behind the gas mask their eyes look at the aging woman and there is only a nod in response.

Our stalwart hero wasn't always as courageous or powered, in fact in a long time ago, he was a simple brat of a successful scientist Fahim Aqil working at CERN on particle physics and the mysteries of the universe. Much to the chagrin of his two children. The older boy named Esmail, and the younger more happy go lucky girl named Dema. They both were dragged along with their successful father, the boy, a rather annoyed teenager who thought this science stuff was more bullshit.

Esmail was the mirror image of his very calm and very studious sister, he was out all night with his friends getting in trouble with the Swiss police, and if it were not for his father, there would have been prison time for the troubled young man. He didn't care, and this was just another place to be until he was free. That was coming in a few years that is what he knew, and then he would be able to go down that dark path, and would have if it hadn't been for the accident.

He sat in a chair at CERN looking over his father in front of the massive test chamber. The brightest minds of the worlds were here and had built this, but to Esmail it was more like another thing that his father did that he could never match. He wasn't going to CERN, he wasn't dumb, but gently caress if he was as smart of his dad's grad students. After his mom died, his dad had been so much more hosed in this loving thing compared to him.

Esmail had disappeared to his father, and now was just an annoyance and bother no how he succeeded or failed. All he wanted was for his father to love him, like he loved and doted on his sister. She was like his mother who had died of cancer year ago, but she had also been a scientist, and Esmail? He was just a gently caress up. As he kicked back in the chair, he knocked the controls and the great super collider started to spin up without the essential parts to get it going.

His father dropped the large cylinder on his leg and shouted in pain as everyone ran. He didn't move as he watched horrified, his father was in going to die in seconds, but it wasn't he who surged forward, instead it was his sister. She ran forward and grabbed her father. Now his family was totally in danger, that is when he moved, without thinking and maybe a piece of his better nature that had been Suppressed for so long. With his help the cylinder moved, and his Dad and sister started to leave. They had almost made it!

Then he saw the beam was going to go out there wasn't time, and he realized that it was better if the good person lived. He was the gently caress up and disposable in his mind. He picked up his sister and threw her across the room, out of the way of harm, even his own strength surprised and she slid across the floor where he didn't move.

Esmail looked at his sister and his dad and smiled for what he thought was the last time. Then light flooded every atom of his body, and the world went white.

The world was empty there was no up or down but he was standing by himself. He felt nothing, not hot, not cold, no feeling of air against his skin. In a word, Nothing. That was before something appeared in front of him, in what appeared to be old and worn battle armor. It breathed heavily and didn't move other than to breath, hot sulfur escaped the breath mask.

"Who are you?" He asked the thing in front of him, and there was a monstrous voice that echoed through the helmet into the space around him. "You. Not You. Doesn't matter." It approached him closer, and there was a distinct smell of death that surrounds him. "You could have been so much greater once you cast off your family, instead you tossed it aside. I won't allow it!" It gripped him and there was flash of light and it felt like his entire body was about to explode.

It screamed at the touch and the white suddenly was somewhere else. It was in a field outside a city, which one, he had no idea. "We are too in sync." It explained looking into the distance, "I don't need you anymore, and you are pathetic. This time, I will have all I want. Without your pathetic feelings to stop me." He watched the darkness start to walk into the city and he collapsed the spot, it was like he was severed in two. His gently caress up self was walking away, while what was he here?

Suddenly in a blackness, his Darkness had disappeared. All his hurt, anger and fear were out there, and unleashed, without any restraint. It was then that Esmail broke down and cried.

The embodiment of all the negative thoughts and emotions of Esmail, and his chief rival. It is not human, nor does it try to be, but it continues to work toward taking more control and growing its influence. The only thing that he knows about the monster is that it's powers are related to darkness.

quote:

Character Sheet

Hero Name: Fission
Secret Identity: Unknown / Esmail Aqil
Mask: The Janus
Look: Unknown / Male, Unknown / Arabic, Stylish Clothing, Concealing Costume
Abilities: Strength, Agility, Toughness, Impossible Mobility(Quantum Tunneling), Energy absorption

Labels:
Freak: -1
Danger: 1
Savior: 0
Superior: 0
Mundane: +3

Moves
The Mask
You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask:
□ Freak □ Danger
■ Savior □ Superior
Once per session, you can affirm either your hero or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask's Label.

The first time you reveal your true identity to someone, mark potential.

Game face
When you steel yourself in the calm before the storm, roll + Mundane. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1:
- Shift 1 Label up and 1 Label down, your choice.
- Make someone lose Influence on you.
- Clear a condition.

On a miss, you can't shake your feeling that the worst is about to happen. Mark Afraid and say what you most fear will happen during the storm.

Dangerous Web
When you reveal a trap you've left for someone using your powers, roll + your Mask Label. On a hit, your opponent trips into it, and you get an opening or opportunity against them. On a 10+, take +1 forward to pursuing it. On a miss, the trap inadvertently leads to a dangerous escalation.

Suck it, Domitian
When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.

Secret Identity
Job: Campus Barista/Coffee Shop Attendant
Social: Mrs. Doring
Home: Paying Bills

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they see you as the person wearing the mask or the person underneath. If the former, mark potential and clear a condition. If the latter, take Influence over them if you reveal yourself.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift 1 Label up and 1 Label down, your choice.

When our team first came together…
We saved the life of someone important, either to the city, or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Relationships
_____________________ knew you from your civilian life first.
You refused to tell ___________________ your secret identity when they asked.

Influence
You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out.
Give two of them influence over you.

quote:

1. What was the final motivating factor that convinced you to join this “school”.

The final factor that pushed his choice was the fact that he knew that the darkness had all his raw strength and skill, but its weakness was its arrogance. Though it would test its limits, it would be uneven and not really methodical, only the most obvious beneficial attempts would be made, while a seasoned trainer who had fought with great skill would know things that a talented amateur would not. This was his only hope of defeating the darkness and one day going home, that mythical place he could go once everything made sense again.

quote:

2. While attending school, what did you do to catch the eye of Ms. Doring and convinced her into considering you to be a Valkyrie?

He didn't know, there was a clear indication on his part to hide under the radar. The hope that though the thing out there that was trying to make his darkest thoughts true would in fact not know the specifics, it hadn't delved into the pathetic and emotions that surrounded them. Maybe this was part of the fact, that in the end he was penniless on the street. Yet, still he persisted, and wanted to do good. It would have been easy to walk away and say that the villain was out there among all the others, and others would take care of it. The truth was, his was out there, and his suffering and dedication was total to stop the inhuman thing.

quote:

3.(Optional)What is the name of the School?

Doring Educational Academy for Women

quote:

4. (Optional)What shall the IC Thread be called?

The Ride of the Valkyries

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

thejoshie posted:

ROUND ONE

Fission

Right. So far, no one knows. I’ taking a great risk here and if people finds out, this team may suffer from an unprepared angle. However, the potential you shown in New Orleans can't be overlooked. You deserve to be here, in this program.

A more pressing issue however:

Based on what you told me about your origins, you thought you died. However… how did you know you didn’t die? I’ve seen more fantastic things in my career…

There is no emotion that is betrayed beyond the mask as the modulated voice responds in its weird way, "Don't let anyone know about me. Don't get caught, and I am in?" He asks and looks around the abandoned warehouse, the light of a barrel fire one of the few sources of light in the room. Here there was nothing, and he had made himself into a nothing, an unknown, but this was to strip away his identity, and swallow any sense of pride. The question of whether he was going to go to anything length to win, or to at least save the most people... from himself. There is a moment when his gloved hands flexed, and a brief pause of silence that was allowed to fall.

"Done. I want in." He had made his choice and would go full force. The memory of his sister seemed to be pouring down the racing thoughts in his mind, but he was use to not letting all of that out. Instead his mask became his wall from the fear, excitement and anticipation that others might see. He was good at hiding behind the mask, and had spent month cultivating a persona of mystery and of an every person. This would define him in ways that he was supposed to be repulsed by, but he felt nothing other than opportunity, and most of all redemption. Some things were worth fighting for without any worry about the injury or fear.

The question caused him to think for a moment, "I- don't know." He said honestly, "I appear to be healthy, and whole with no bad things as far as I know, the only result is the other thing. I might have been traditionally dead, I mean, I had to be taken apart to an subatomic level, to quantum tunnel to where I was." Under the mask an ironic smirk spread across his face, and the thought that he sounded a lot smarter than he really was. "Maybe, I did die, and right now this is only a fragment of me, an echo left behind. If that is the case, I will use the chance to do what I can to save who I can." Determination was able to get through the filtered voice box as he looked across at the experienced veteran.

It wasn't a pleasant thought to be so separated from the world that you might just be an echo, an reflection that the universe decided to spit out after you were atomized. There wasn't anything that he could say or think of, and he assumed you couldn't, instead you had to move on and look forward. There was a job to do, and he was willing and able to do anything to get it done.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

thejoshie posted:

Fission

Nods as she listens to you. She’s about to say something, but draws back. Instead…

Okay… Fission, I do plan to have team building social activities. So we need to think of a reason why that mask doesn’t come off… any ideas?

"It is just a gasmask now, but with resources, and a few tools, I could retool it into being an actual rebreather with a HUD. As for why I don't take it off, medical reasons." He says simply, and then swallows, "The other option I do, and have to wear a dress, but I am willing to go that far. I would-" He swallows looking around the room and then back to her, "-need help in pulling that off." He says plainly and honestly, "As for medical reasons, me being badly burned and having to have a respirator to breath would be enough to have me wrapped full body and wear a mask. Either way could work, I feel with my voice though." He stops silently, "It might be best to have me in a mask. Just give me some tools and I can tool around and make something that looks legitimate and better than this old army surplus. An accident like mine would be something that would normally lead to full body burning and scarring, so that isn't unusual, and if my mouth was damaged, eating and breathing might be an issue. I am fully committed anyway you go." He adds without thought.

The thought of condemning himself to a mask, or even to full body clothing, in the hope and pray that he could be trained to be superhero is something that he gave without thought. The dress he was less keen on, he didn't want to risk discovery in the shower or some other mundane task that he couldn't perform. A burn victim is more close to what he was now, than the well person he would have to play as. After all, he was a nothing man.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Turn 2

Bravura knew you from your civilian life first. (As the Campus Barista/Coffee Slinger)
You refused to tell Shodan your secret identity when they asked.

quote:

Who should be the leader of the Valkyries?

Instead of having a leader we should have an anarchistic compound that is ruled by the needs of the many over the few. The jobs that needs to be done get done, and then using a massive organized ai all resources and plans are dolled out according to exactly what our best ability is. Then it creates murder bots and kills humanity.

quote:

You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out.
Give two of them influence over you.
Sylphid has been doing this generationally, where I might be generationally a person!
Avatar pays a high price for their powers, as I do to defeat my own monsters.

quote:

2.) Fission, We saved the life of someone important, either to the city, or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Doctor Carol F. Wieschaus

Nobel Prize winning biochemist and genetist, she was working on a gene therapy that would make it possible to stop most cancer, and possibly assist with multiple genetic diseases. At the time the lab was raided she was researching air borne grade retroviruses that would literally clear the air of all viruses and bacteria in an attempt to biologically sterilize, or perhaps treat large groups of people at once. However, some of the containers were missing as they were stolen even after we defeated them. To what end, I have no idea. However the city is now putting her work, and her lab as the forefront of what they want the city to be. The heart of the biological and genetic development of the country. Without the doctor, millions of people would be dead, and the city's now grassroots almost rise in laboratories would be shut down to as who would be the next target.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 25, 2016

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The coffee baresta knows all your coffee secrets and thus influences all! >:o

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Yami Fenrir posted:

The coffee shop is the hideout of the enemy! Do not be fooled by their lies!

Aka the only boy on campus that is the characters ages. :P

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Platonicsolid posted:

Out at the moving pictures, will post later this evening.

Oh no magic!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Don't you mean Gewels? :P Also Fission will have their own room for sure, but I imagine that it would have a lot of medical equipment to keep up the idea that he is in fact, a burn victim.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

thejoshie posted:

3. Grow away from the team. Explain how you feel detached. Take Influence away from another character.

It was obvious that I was not human enough to be relatable, as none of the girls wanted to talk to more or really needed me. In the end, I only was in the way for everyone else, and it was obvious in the end that they didn't need me in the slightest. All that pain and sacrifice was just to learn how to do things now, and try to keep out of the way of the people who actually wanted to do things with. There was only heroing and work, and that was the punishment for daring to pretend that I was anything more than an echo, or even a good person. It was pretty clear that was the only resolution.

Maybe after a while they will only see me as a machine, that gives out coffee or saves lives. In the end, it doesn't matter much I suppose, I still have to fight on to struggle to undo my wrongs, and try to prevent adding to them. Maybe it is better that the Mask is all they can see, so they won't mistake me for one of them or as someone who is alive. After I balance the scales, I can simply dissolve I guess, we all knew this story didn't have a happy ending right? Can't gently caress around with physics too long before it fucks you back. Either that or the Darkness will annihilate me, as an antimatter particle would matter.

Removing Influence on Sylphid (only influence I had to give away)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
- Did you uphold the traditions of your legacy?
Yes
- Did you maintain the image of your legacy?
No
- Did you make the other members of your legacy proud?
No

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Yami Fenrir posted:

Hey, I think the influence sheet is botched again. I'm fairly sure Fission didn't lose influence over Sylphid.

I lost it due to the end of session thing since it was the only influence to lose

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Rauri posted:

There's no option for losing your influence over someone else at the end of a session, though - that should be someone having lost influence over Fission.

Oppssssssss

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Yami Fenrir posted:

Once again, I need answers to the following questions from everyone:

Yami Fenrir posted:

Once again, I need answers to the following questions from everyone:

No, no, no

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
- Did you uphold the traditions of your legacy?
No, Specifically ones listed below:
6. Vanquish evil whenever you find it, search for it whenever you don’t.
Since the evil hair monster lady, escaped your battle, and you didn't vanquish her at all.
9. Protect the innocent with your life.
You attacked both mary, and Fission with your attack, giving collateral damage. This violating this one.
10. Watch your surroundings – be wary of damage to a lord’s property.
The initial fight between you two, caused all the damage,so there is that.
- Did you maintain the image of your legacy?
No, due to failure.
- Did you make the other members of your legacy proud?
No because you didn't uphold your traditions!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Platonicsolid posted:

Hey all. Have been sick this past week, and also had a major work conference, so it all just turned to crap. I've recovered this weekend and will be writing up a post in the morning. Go Valks!

Huzzah! Glad you feel better PS, sucks you had a conference in the middle of being sick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I am all up for it!

• Locked thread