Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bad mistakes, the gaming industry has made a few. Nowhere is this more apparent than when looking at some of the more infamous box art of the medium. Before the age of digital trailers, the box art was likely to be the first thing you saw of a game, assuming you hadn't seen the kicking rad full page ads in your favorite comic mags or the amazing tv spots while watching reruns of Scooby Doo.

So why are so many of these first impressions flat-out horrible?

Mega Man for the NES

While some hideous box art was caused by low budget localizers with no real art team trying to cobble something together in the early days of the industry, some others have absolutely no excuse for how bad they look.

Arkham City, GOTY Edition for the PS3

And of course, some of them were simply Sega Master System box art, an entire platform of bad.

Black Belt for the SMS

There are repeat offenders in the Bad Box Art world, such as Jaleco of North America, and some others are just awful one-offs.

What are some of your favorite bad box arts? Post about them in this thread! Feel free to post the original ones in the case of those that were inexplicably ruined while being localized or re-released.

Have fun, and :siren:please don't start arguments about thinking the bad box arts are actually good!:siren:

And now, some more bad box art.

Tuff Enuff for the Super Nintendo

Rival Turf for the Super Nintendo

Mega Man 2 for the NES

Phalanx for the SNES (yes, this is a space shooter)

Karnaaj Rally for the Game Boy Advance

Street Warrior for the Playstation 2

... and much, much more!

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Lurdiak posted:

Phalanx for the SNES (yes, this is a space shooter)

This is not bad box art.

To contribute, while not bad exactly I couldn't help but feel EU got way better art on some of its games over NA. The Final Fantasy series' EU covers were simplistic but very pretty, and tied the games together more as a series that the NA's covers.

Also Ico's EU cover was gorgeous:

compared to the NA cover

Alris fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 20, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Obligatory

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alris posted:

This is not bad box art.

You failed the only rule of the thread, but that's ok! I believe you can do better!

Mega Man 2 for the NES (european variant)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Seriously, Phalanx had great box art. It did a great job of setting the game apart visually from a then-saturated genre full of big ships and lasers and explosions.

Of course, the game itself was about as middle-of-the-road as you can get.

E: on my phone now, but Lufia 2's art was pretty awful. Stock image of a character on stock image of land.

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 20, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's not bad in the technical sense (it's actually pretty nice to look at!) but the cover for Splatterhouse 2 nosells the actual content of the game hard

That adorable octopus is particularly egregious

There are also purple enemies but they're nowhere near the Alien ripoffs the cover makes them out to be

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bad flyer time:

Blondie on the left is Kenshiro, apparently.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Bad flyer time:

Blondie on the left is Kenshiro, apparently.
The dangers of Hokuto Shinken abuse.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hmmmm

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

McFarlane is a hack

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I remember selling this game once to a customer who was exceptionally excited that she had found a copy for only £2.50.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That game is actually weirdly ambitious and well-made. Not like it's a hidden classic or anything, but it's a step above mindless shovelware.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lady Naga posted:

McFarlane is a hack

This is a weird one because it's a such a hodgepodge. I like the character art in that mid-late 90's comic style but they're placed weird, the background is stupid and doesn't match, and the three iconic monster villains joined at the head monstrosity in the middle is just stupid in every way.

Edit: and to contribute my own, it's not box art but I spent a huge chunk of my childhood at the same pizzeria arcade and every time I saw this cabinet, it made me laugh

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 20, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

That game is actually weirdly ambitious and well-made. Not like it's a hidden classic or anything, but it's a step above mindless shovelware.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7bC_kAR-wU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Looks like the thread for the BEST BOX ART, to me.

MakeWarHarmlesser
Jun 29, 2009

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Anybody know the one where its guy shooting a machine gun on the right side and a random gorilla on the left side? I've the machine gun guy frequently used for avatars and I think it might have been traced from a Rambo poster.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 20, 2016

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

:stare: Wow. "Oh, this is cute..." and then 5 minutes roll by and a dog pretty much kills the bad guy with farts. I'm very surprised I never heard about this game before now, given all of its strangeness.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Broseph Brostar posted:

Anybody know the one where its guy shooting a machine gun on the right side and a random gorilla on the left side? I've the machine gun guy frequently used for avatars and I think it might have been traced from a Rambo poster.

CRACK DOWN

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

All of the other Bubble Bobble series art I've seen is ok at worst.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

This thread owns and so does all the box art posted. Please do not judge me for my beliefs.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Wamdoodle posted:

This thread owns and so does all the box art posted. Please do not judge me for my beliefs.

What the hell.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
The Twitter account Box Art Screw Up is a pretty good repository of bad box art.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
You know how indie games and direct-to-drive PC poo poo will show up on shelves at Target if it's popular enough, like Terraria and Goat Simulator

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i went looking for bad intellivision boxes but it turns out that almost all of them are really good

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This one's not terrible but I've never seen the full spread before. You rustled the wrong jimmies, motherfucker:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

drat i go looking for bad box art and all i find is insanely cool box art instead

except for this one

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

My coworkers knew how much this case creeped me out. So I would be doing things round the shop and it would pop up in random places.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

VideoGames posted:

My coworkers knew how much this case creeped me out. So I would be doing things round the shop and it would pop up in random places.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

last one deeply upsets me

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Can't have a bad box art thread and not have all the Druid themed boxes not repped.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The game comes out tomorrow! Make a box for it!

:effort:

Ok.

Not bad, so much as lazy?

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

This is the port of the anime as gently caress arcade game right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The three-skull ghost in the bottom right is a minor random encounter. That's the only part of this cover that is actually in the game.

The main base is a rocky spire in the water, but the design is entirely different. At least that's sort of right, unlike shirtless Bruce Campbell Archer there.

• Locked thread