Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Golden Goat posted:

I remember this show!

PYF DeviantArt madness is over there, dude. :stonk:

E: How fitting, the image's URL includes "AAAAAAAA"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Three way sumo butt action!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Golden Goat posted:

Wellll Bioshock 1 had decent box art. 2 just had the same box art as the first.

E: VV sorry should have put em up

I can't not see Bomberman on Bioshock 2's cover.

Also to be fair to Infinite they fell back on that cover because their publisher wouldn't let them feature Elizabeth because they thought that people wouldn't buy a shooter if it had a young girl on the cover. Although later on The Last Of Us fought to do just that and wound up being a smash hit sooo...

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

"We put a helmet on a Gears of War guy! DOOM IS BACK!"

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Sleeveless posted:

Speaking of Bomberman:

You wouldn't believe this is a standard Bomberman game just by looking at this cover

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Capcom truly nailed the essence of Warwick Davis

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sleeveless posted:

Also to be fair to Infinite they fell back on that cover because their publisher wouldn't let them feature Elizabeth because they thought that people wouldn't buy a shooter if it had a young girl on the cover. Although later on The Last Of Us fought to do just that and wound up being a smash hit sooo...

It occurs to me that Bioshock Infinite's cover would have been way better served by having an 80's action movie thing with Booker and Elizabeth back-to-back, Booker shooting some dude with the shotgun and Elizabeth using her weird powers to zap a portal or something.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Speaking of Bomberman:

You wouldn't believe this is a standard Bomberman game just by looking at this cover

Let us dispose of this iconic party game character in favor of a grim dark monstrosity that has nothing to do with the series! Again though to be fair, it would be kind of a neat cover if it wasn't a loving bomberman cover.

Shadow Hog posted:

I had this! And the game was amazing despite that sweet shade of hooker red lipstick that Willow is wearing.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Speaking of Bomberman:

No, but I would have believed Konami was going to retire from videogames and enter the pachinko market if you told me after showing me that cover.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shadow Hog posted:

Boy you sure got a pretty mouth

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Remember when BioShock 1 and 2 had some unique and interesting boxart, then BioShock Infinite's boxart was Dude With A Gun

Didn't they include the cooler boxart on the other side of the cover?

I feel like a lot of good modern boxart is ruined by how ugly the cases are and how everything has to be plastered with all sorts of pointless horseshit, like who cares how good the Bioshock Infinite boxart looks when it's attached to a puke green DVD case with 30 different Xbox 360 logos covering everything. Not like that never happened back then, but I felt there was more variety at least.

E:

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 23, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Didn't they include the cooler boxart on the other side of the cover?

I feel like a lot of good modern boxart is ruined by how ugly the cases are and how everything has to be plastered with all sorts of pointless horseshit, like who cares how good the Bioshock Infinite boxart looks when it's attached to a puke green DVD case with 30 different Xbox 360 logos covering everything.

E:

If anything, there's less logos than usual on boxes. I mean every SNES box had a solid 1/4 of the box covered in black bars and Nintendo logos, look back at all the Atari boxes posted in here and look at how much of it is just system advertising.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I've noticed is that a lot of modern games will have interior art that would make it cool to flip the liner and use it as box art, except that the name of the game isn't on the interior spine so it's impossible to know what game it is in a stack or shelf.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

True, I guess it was really just on the PC where there was any freedom. Though 360 cases do stand out to me as being particularly ugly.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

I'm the handsy lizard demon who is going in for a butt grab.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
He gotta big face

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

God damnit, cover artist, just take a moment with your prelims and make the eyes even!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

TheScott2K posted:

"We put a helmet on a Gears of War guy! DOOM IS BACK!"

How did they not just redo the masterpiece that is the doom box art?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hakkesshu posted:

True, I guess it was really just on the PC where there was any freedom. Though 360 cases do stand out to me as being particularly ugly.

They're just green DVD cases.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I don't get why so many shooters covers focus on the protagonist, who is often completely unseen and unheard

DOOM isn't about some faceless mook! It's about YOU, being trapped on Mars and surrounded by demons! YOU shoot the guns! YOU grab the key cards!

For the physical box, Bethesda should put a reflective sheen on the Doomguy's visor and add the tagline, "YOU are DOOM" gently caress yeah

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lady Naga posted:

They're just green DVD cases.

Green DVD cases are inherently tougher to work with from a design standpoint. "Your work will be displayed on a solid black case" is basically a blank canvas where as "Your work will be displayed on a radioactive ooze colored case" means you're starting with kind of a nasty handicap.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Shadow Hog posted:

I remember Bethesda doing it with Doom 4:

Because the Doom Guy, the most generic protagonist imaginable (intentionally so, so players could more easily self-insert themselves into his shoes), is what you should sell a game based on. Especially now that his outfit looks like a Spartan from Halo instead of the original design.

Okay, okay, it's not as offensively bad as most of the boxart in here, but I still feel miffed about this one.

I like that DOOM one, Big bold letters are cool, and it makes me think of a movie :allears:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Remember when BioShock 1 and 2 had some unique and interesting boxart, then BioShock Infinite's boxart was Dude With A Gun

The galling thing is they had a contest for the fans to select the cover.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Lord Lambeth posted:

The galling thing is they had a contest for the fans to select the cover.

The 4th one is the best.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
God forbid they have a cover art that isn't gruff generic white guy protagonist just standing there.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
2nd, 4th, and 6th are amazing but literally any of those would have been better than the poo poo we got.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

The secret is people everywhere like generic white guys on covers.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Also, best or worst cover?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

She's only two feet tall

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Jump-kicking with roller blades. That's seriously street right there.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Excuse me this is the thread for bad box art

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Bleusilences posted:

The 4th one is the best.

bloodychill posted:

2nd, 4th, and 6th are amazing but literally any of those would have been better than the poo poo we got.

4th one won and it's the reversible cover art :ssh:
http://www.e-diots.net/2013/03/bioshock-infinites-alternate-reversible-cover-is-beautiful/

bloodychill posted:

Green DVD cases are inherently tougher to work with from a design standpoint. "Your work will be displayed on a solid black case" is basically a blank canvas where as "Your work will be displayed on a radioactive ooze colored case" means you're starting with kind of a nasty handicap.
My point is that if you find it ugly you can just buy a stack of regular dvd cases for pennies and spend ten minutes switching them out.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I had a PC box version that could not have its cover reversed :smith:

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

elf help book posted:

Why was everyone so scared of anime?

to be fair if you put a big anime face on your cover art it reduces the chance i'm going to buy it by like 99% even today

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The art's fine here. What's poo poo is the subtitle and GOTY crammed in there.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

elf help book posted:

Why was everyone so scared of anime?

Capitalism hadn't finely tuned its ability to mine the mentally bonkers back in the 80s and could only, at best, target genre fiction dweebs when trying to monetize the Sadness Demographic.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Golden Goat posted:

The art's fine here. What's poo poo is the subtitle and GOTY crammed in there.

I remember being excited for that game thanks to NBA Jam and then being annoyed by how god drat hard it was.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Any other series with a gradual decline in quality on the boxart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
man i can practically hear blue-pants's spine telescoping in that third one

• Locked thread