Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The idea of homaging the original US NES cover in a more chibi style is neat, but god drat is that execution awful.

Just like the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

The idea of homaging the original US NES cover in a more chibi style is neat, but god drat is that execution awful.

Just like the game.

Exactly. I know the NES River City Ransom cover falls into the trap about Americanization of Anime boxes, but that was a legit good boxart. And that certainly isn't.

Shame about the game too, I had a lot of hope for a remake of RCR, and this version just felt soulless.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Looks like penny arcade circa 1998

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rirse posted:

Shame about the game too, I had a lot of hope for a remake of RCR, and this version just felt soulless.

As I recall, it was described in a front page article as "Let's change this beloved game just enough to ruin it!", and boy is that true.

An acquaintance of mine offered to americanize the sprites for free, to make them look more like the NES version everyone's familiar with, and the localization team never got back to him. But they did find the time to put in a Megatokyo reference!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Otisburg posted:

Looks like penny arcade circa 1998

Those eye brows

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
The reversed Bioshock cover is so cool, but the main cover is definitely the right cover for the game inside it. Like this

Somehow this absolutely looks like a sex thing.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Coolguye posted:

man i can practically hear blue-pants's spine telescoping in that third one

That's certainly not the only thing telescoping on that box

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Featuring voice AND Morse code!

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Golden Goat posted:

I remember this show!

At the time it seemed revolutionary but in hindsight the Game Boy Advance's limited graphics simply weren't up to the challenge of adapting Requiem For A Dream

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

This is magically bad. :allears:

I particularly like how blue pants already bad proportions are magnified by how everyone else in the scene is, in comparison, relatively proportionate; which is not to say anyone is in proportion in this scene, but our blue hero is definitely the most standout. He's so wonky looking. It's great. Also looks like a great image to play "where's the vanishing point."

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Look at this lovely big text noting "invaluable maps and strategic playing tips" because they thought people were that retarded and the huge rear end meaningless company seal. Worst of all it had a cut out rectangle in the corner so you could see the grooves in the cart itself for some reason.

And that shield with the lion image never appears in the game ever.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The Taint Reaper posted:

Look at this lovely big text noting "invaluable maps and strategic playing tips" because they thought people were that retarded

They were.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Gee the Japanese artwork of the same game doesn't have that and actually does a decent job at depicting what the game is actually about.

I guess nothing has changed in 30+ years

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Gee the Japanese artwork of the same game doesn't have that and actually does a decent job at depicting what the game is actually about.

I guess nothing has changed in 30+ years

I don't remember Link ever becoming giant and escaping the game via ocean.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

Well, it would certainly be more fun than trying to figure out some of the puzzles.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lady Naga posted:

The scenery behind him is the actual part of the zelda map drawn in perspective.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The Taint Reaper posted:

The scenery behind him is the actual part of the zelda map drawn in perspective.

Right but when does he slip the surly bonds of the game map and surf his way to freedom? Is that in the second quest?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lady Naga posted:

Right but when does he slip the surly bonds of the game map and surf his way to freedom? Is that in the second quest?

Actually you can use the game genie to get out of the map entirely.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Well there is the thing where Zelda II had Zelda I's map in the micro down in the south area, supposedly. And he does break bonds and truck the oceans in that one. Zelda II was really fun and kind of weird.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Actually you can use the game genie to get out of the map entirely.

Does it also make you grow to incredible sizes? Is there an epilogue where we see the newly giant Link try to reintegrate into a society that he cannot possibly empathize with?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lady Naga posted:

Does it also make you grow to incredible sizes? Is there an epilogue where we see the newly giant Link try to reintegrate into a society that he cannot possibly empathize with?

Any of the spite scale codes will crash the NES.

You also need like 2 game genies hooked in because the codes exceed the normal number of lines(yes two game genies actually work as far as entering extra codes).

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Nintendo, always taking the shortcuts :rolleyes:

It's not "bad" in the traditional sense but I always found it annoyingly lazy that RE: Survivor's cover was literally just two pieces of concept art layered on top of eachother

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lady Naga posted:

It's not "bad" in the traditional sense but I always found it annoyingly lazy that RE: Survivor's cover was literally just two pieces of concept art layered on top of eachother

Survivor also did not have higher definition textures and they were all grainy as hell even for a playstation game. The Dino Crisis Gun Survivor 3 game actually was the only one that was the most mechanically sound out of all of them.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Survivor literally reused enemy models from the first two games. RE1 came out in 1996, Survivor in 2000.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lady Naga posted:

Survivor literally reused enemy models from the first two games. RE1 came out in 1996, Survivor in 2000.

Yeah this too, they pretty much just loaded RE assets into a FPS engine. It was an obvious cash grab, probably one of the lowest of the low for Capcom.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Taint Reaper posted:

It was an obvious cash grab, probably one of the lowest of the low for Capcom.

Actually SFV just came out two weeks ago :grin:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

In Training posted:

Actually SFV just came out two weeks ago :grin:

I said cash grab not war crime.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I was certainly not expecting Dragon's Dogma on PC to beat out SF for "most critically-acclaimed Capcom release this quarter"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lady Naga posted:

Could be worse, it could be two pieces of concept art layered over each other with a lovely red filter slapped on top.

Game still owns, though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

That console doesn't look simple at all this is bullshit.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

swamp waste posted:

Somehow this absolutely looks like a sex thing.
No, no that picture is taken completely out of context. It's just a show where three guys slap butts together to get fatter and strip down to their sumo gear so they can take out the bad guys usually with their butts.

It's 100% not some butt piss explosion fetish you see above.
:sterv:

...Anyway:

Does this get a prize for dumbest game name on top of bad art?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i'm free sticker inducing you to buy the 50 dollar videogame

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm still disappointed that's never been one of Ken's alt costumes in any of the Street Fighters.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Gotta love that Capcom had the balls to stuff three of their popular IP's into the title and box art of one mediocre game that didn't have anything to do with any of them.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Accordion Man posted:

I'm still disappointed that's never been one of Ken's alt costumes in any of the Street Fighters.

The game never even pretended to be related in Japan, where the people who make the alt costumes live and surprisingly often the only market anyone making the game acknowledges in the least.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Wait, what's the third? The gargoyle guy? Those were great games but I thought they were kind of sleepers.

E: oh duh, the sticker I pointed out already for MEGA MAN

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Free Mega Man sticker, I guess.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I like how it gives the dimensions, so you can make an informed decision about how big a value add that is to your $50 game purchase.

"Hm, I wasn't going to, but I do like Mega-Man and two by three inches is just the right size. I know exactly the spot on my trapper keeper for that bad boy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Golden Goat posted:

No, no that picture is taken completely out of context. It's just a show where three guys slap butts together to get fatter and strip down to their sumo gear so they can take out the bad guys usually with their butts.

It's 100% not some butt piss explosion fetish you see above.
:sterv:

...Anyway:

Does this get a prize for dumbest game name on top of bad art?

This is actually more accurate than most early Megaman boxart. Also Quantum Fighter is hard as balls

• Locked thread