Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Remember when BioShock 1 and 2 had some unique and interesting boxart, then BioShock Infinite's boxart was Dude With A Gun

I remember Bethesda doing it with Doom 4:

Because the Doom Guy, the most generic protagonist imaginable (intentionally so, so players could more easily self-insert themselves into his shoes), is what you should sell a game based on. Especially now that his outfit looks like a Spartan from Halo instead of the original design.

Okay, okay, it's not as offensively bad as most of the boxart in here, but I still feel miffed about this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Capcom truly nailed the essence of Warwick Davis

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Second-best thing about the game, honestly.

First-best being that Tim Follin music, obviously.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Why yes, I am.

Is this what Wily looked like before his hair grayed?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

For some reason I always associate these next two games together, despite being developed independently by two separate companies. But still, one's a 1991 NES side-scrolling action-platformer where you punch everything to awesome music, and the other's a 1991 NES side-scrolling action-platformer where you kick everything to awesome music. You can see why I might conflate the two, surely.

Also, neither has particularly bad box art, but they are pretty dorky.

Shatterhand:

Kickmaster:

The facial expressions make it, really.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 1, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Game's legit very fun, at least.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean, we're still sort of in that era; it's just CGI artists have gotten much better.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Suspicious Cook posted:

This is a magazine instead of box art, but I just wanted to share it anyway:

WWE vs. Capcom is the crossover I don't think I ever knew I wanted

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Wendell posted:

I feel like the title should have tipped them off that the game wasn't about elves.
I mean, you could argue that goblins are just orcs that fled to the caves at the defeat of Melkor/Morgoth, and orcs themselves are East Elves that were captured by Melkor and corrupted to bend to his will.

...which would cover him if this were Middle-Earth, but I'm pretty sure Gobliiins! isn't.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I love that the blonde muscleman is so vain as to have his face painted on the side of his axe.

It totally isn't his reflection in the axe, because who the hell has an axe that shiny?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I think he's talking about the home computer version of Moonwalker, not the Genesis or arcade versions (which were both by Sega).

I actually am not too familiar with the home computer version of Moonwalker, by comparison.

(And yeah, seriously, no Thriller in the zombie stage, what the crap?)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm pretty sure every version of Moonwalker on the Genesis uses "Another Part of Me" for the graveyard stage - but that some revision of the game (no idea which one) uses "Thriller" for one of MJ's dance specials in that stage. I don't believe "Thriller" was ever in the arcade version.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

...and then they hosed.
Minecraft looks more awesome than I remember...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Haruharuharuko posted:

Maybe because so many dumb customers called L.A. Noire Lenore. Idiots the lot of 'em.
    Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December;
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
    Eagerly I wished the morrow;—vainly I had sought to borrow
    From my books surcease of sorrow—sorrow for the lost L.A. Noire
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name L.A. Noire
            Nameless here for evermore.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

"What game should I buy today? How about this Amiga game with the cigar-smoking arm-fish?"

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Count Chocula posted:

All these old games had really cool, artsy box art. When did it get replaced by bland angry dudes?
When investors, big money and focus groups got involved, I'd imagine.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, if we're going to start posting custom cover replacements, then this one from the GF of oneida at NeoGAF never fails to amuse me when I see it:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

rotoscoped posted:

aaaaaaaaa :cry:

Considering all the terrible cash grab movie games of the 90's I suppose this one at least tangentially makes sense. But still :gonk:
To be fair, IIRC this is what the CGI actually looked like in the film, too. It was intended to be off-putting, since the character here has kind of gone full-psycopath by the point depicted.

Does beg the question of why you'd advertise the game with it front-and-center. Maybe it's a horror game! (It probably isn't a horror game.)

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I'm probably missing the point here since I know absolutely nothing about baseball, but I don't think some old baseball man that kids would have no idea about is the way to sell your 16-bit baseball game either. This is like putting some 70's footballer on the cover of whatever the gently caress version of FIFA we're at now.
What, you don't like Bill Clinton Baseball? It's just a counterpart to Willem Dafoe Basketball:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

bloodychill posted:

007 starring Odo from DS9.
Not Bashir and Garak?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, there's also The Spy Who Loved Me if they were that desperate for Jaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I took a look at the Master System version of Galaxy Force and now I am dead. Thank you, Galaxy Force.

(If this port can kill you, does this make the arcade version a weapon of mass destruction?)

• Locked thread