Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lady Naga posted:

McFarlane is a hack

This is a weird one because it's a such a hodgepodge. I like the character art in that mid-late 90's comic style but they're placed weird, the background is stupid and doesn't match, and the three iconic monster villains joined at the head monstrosity in the middle is just stupid in every way.

Edit: and to contribute my own, it's not box art but I spent a huge chunk of my childhood at the same pizzeria arcade and every time I saw this cabinet, it made me laugh

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Somebody help that child, his shoes have grown giant and are eating him!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

It looks like they took actual pictures of people and shopped them to look 3D generated and I think it's going to haunt my dreams.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Magnavox was high as gently caress

I love this kind of poo poo. It's not as good as those weird/awesome Psygnosis covers but I still applaud the amateur artist who did this.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

cronox2 posted:

People complaining about the Street Fighter V story mode art, behold this abomination:

(not an actual physical product but this is still some horrific box art.)

I feel like I need it explained why this is an abomination. Like, the only thing that jumps out at me is that Ryu looks really funny-looking. Otherwise it's just a bunch of Marvel and Capcom peeps getting ready to fight in a canyon cuz video games. Even the framing is decent.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ever want to share a space suit with two other people? We got the game for you, apparently.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

They're all just striking terrible static poses in thin air with no urgency, chunli is loving flying higher than warmachine and the hulk is.....loving hell what is the hulk doing?

The helicopter than Chun Li jumped out of is off frame and the Hulk is hurling himself at everyone head first. Neither of these things are too out-of-character. I do like that Spiderman is swinging from the logo or something.

e:

Nasgate posted:

It really feels like a bunch of cropped images placed randomly. They all have different stylization and proportions.

I get that, that's a good point. It's like the artist did Venom, Wolverine, and Ryu and then showed it to marketing and they were like "good but we need more heroes on the box" and the artist said "oh... ok..."

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 23, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Batman's knowing smile

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
To be fair, though misrepresenting of the ingame art, those BoF covers aren't actually bad for the time though it's funny to me that with BoF2, they did exactly the same as 1 even with the character framing and posing but clearly told the artist to "pump that poo poo to 11."

This is hilarious and while it's awful looking, it matches the game title in :effort:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Three way sumo butt action!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sleeveless posted:

I can't not see Bomberman on Bioshock 2's cover.

Also to be fair to Infinite they fell back on that cover because their publisher wouldn't let them feature Elizabeth because they thought that people wouldn't buy a shooter if it had a young girl on the cover. Although later on The Last Of Us fought to do just that and wound up being a smash hit sooo...

It occurs to me that Bioshock Infinite's cover would have been way better served by having an 80's action movie thing with Booker and Elizabeth back-to-back, Booker shooting some dude with the shotgun and Elizabeth using her weird powers to zap a portal or something.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Speaking of Bomberman:

You wouldn't believe this is a standard Bomberman game just by looking at this cover

Let us dispose of this iconic party game character in favor of a grim dark monstrosity that has nothing to do with the series! Again though to be fair, it would be kind of a neat cover if it wasn't a loving bomberman cover.

Shadow Hog posted:

Capcom truly nailed the essence of Warwick Davis

I had this! And the game was amazing despite that sweet shade of hooker red lipstick that Willow is wearing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lady Naga posted:

They're just green DVD cases.

Green DVD cases are inherently tougher to work with from a design standpoint. "Your work will be displayed on a solid black case" is basically a blank canvas where as "Your work will be displayed on a radioactive ooze colored case" means you're starting with kind of a nasty handicap.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
2nd, 4th, and 6th are amazing but literally any of those would have been better than the poo poo we got.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Jump-kicking with roller blades. That's seriously street right there.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I had a PC box version that could not have its cover reversed :smith:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Otisburg posted:

Looks like penny arcade circa 1998

Those eye brows

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The Taint Reaper posted:

Look at this lovely big text noting "invaluable maps and strategic playing tips" because they thought people were that retarded

They were.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Gotta love that Capcom had the balls to stuff three of their popular IP's into the title and box art of one mediocre game that didn't have anything to do with any of them.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Your half-truth is not as important as the fact that the Street Combat cover is hilariously bad. Blonde robot cop can stop anything with his mullet and giant energy beam exploding from the ground.

And for more content, I present an actually decent representation of a game brought to the west. It's a really fun silly game that I'm still kind of amazed got a localization and the cover is that kind of mix of awesome and colorful and kind of horrifying that I really like:

Don't stare too long at the floating head on the left or his gaze will pierce your soul.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 25, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
White Van Racer is making me laugh way too damned hard.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FilthyImp posted:

They couldn't get the rights to the name "Pedophile Racing Exxtreme" apparently

Should've gone with "Windowless Van Grand Prix"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

...I think white vans must have a different connotation in the US, here they're just what builders and other similar job having people drive around in, they're fairly ubiquitous.

That's just what those job havers want you to think. They're actually MI5 surveillance vans.

Though yeah, it's usually black windowless vans that have the pedo connotation. "Probable cause on wheels" as it were.

:golfclap:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

This is like one of those highlights for kids games where you try to spot all the things wrong with the image.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It looks vaguely like Heavy Metal so they might have been going for that aesthetic.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The Ranma 1/2 thing is fair because virtually no one in America knew what Ranma 1/2 was so the IP wasn't going to bring people in. On the other hand, I don't know how much retardo Robocop meets Street Fighter was going to sell to people either. I'm guessing that game did not do so well.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I'm the panda right now.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Doing face replacement memes before it was cool.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The Taint Reaper posted:

Let's mistranslate the abbreviation of super deformed(SD) into a name

I had this! And the Sega version of Valis 3 which actually had what can best be described as a crappy western rendition of 80's budget anime. It actually wasn't 100% terrible other than the MC's weird rear end face.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think they're okay, not because they're awesome cover art that makes me wanna buy the game, but like... what else can you put on the cover of Toobin?

And since we're talking about Double Dragon and there's not a good box art thread, I always thought Double Dragon 2 NES had badass cover art:

Unsurprisingly, it's apparently unchanged from the Famicom box art.

It may be my favorite NES cover art and it helps that actual game was really fun.

I remember the day I got that game. Where were you when Double Dragon 2 released? Take a moment to think on that moment.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Rirse posted:

I dunno where to list this box, but the premise of the game alone is reason why to post it.

As seen on TV? I know it's probably referring to an ad for the game but in my dreams, there was a Popeye wrestling tv show.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Michaellaneous posted:

But this owns? :confused:

I guess because it reminds me a lot of One Punch Man.

It's not so much that the original cover is bad (it's serviceable) but that the localized western cover was better and this is rare.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Can we as a people forget that that art for Septerra Core exists and toss it into the uncanny abyss from which it came?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Wamdoodle posted:

Non anime anime cover:

To be fair, they were totally open about it being inspired by GitS and didn't try to make it look like it was made by an Asian team. The cover is pretty by-the-numbers otherwise.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah that's the poo poo. The N64 existed smack-dab in the middle of the era when people thought that poo poo looked good so you'd better believe that drat near every box looked like that

Not all of the covers you'll find in that style are even bad but I loving hate that style

There was also the whole thing where NoA felt like you wouldn't know it was a 3D game unless it had terrible 3D renders on the cover. It was almost like they were afraid 3D might become a gimmick that didn't stick if they didn't really push the concept.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Roadie posted:

A terrible cover for a fun game.

What in the actual gently caress

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Suspicious Cook posted:

You've opened flood gates you can never close again.

Is ZOO the name of the developer or is it part of the title?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I love this but there is no game that could possibly do justice to this cover.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Loved Monkey Island but thought it could use more toilet wine? Boy do we have the game for you, I tell yer wot.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

laserghost posted:

I'm looking at that sword trying to understand the perspective here

Why would you put your name on that monstrosity, Jim

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Rodatose posted:

e: worng thread

e2:

No one looks like this when playing these games. And they're always clumped on one side of the table

We need more WASPy sweater moms on video game covers.

Also pretty sure Scrabble is the game most likely to end friendships in a screaming argument about whether "EQUIPMEN" is a god damned word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The Gorky17 box I kind of like. It's minimalist but not in a bad way. Same with that 101st Airborne one, which is well-framed but could have been executed better.

Those Fur Puppy things creep me out and I'm guessing the game is worse.

• Locked thread