Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
You know how indie games and direct-to-drive PC poo poo will show up on shelves at Target if it's popular enough, like Terraria and Goat Simulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The three-skull ghost in the bottom right is a minor random encounter. That's the only part of this cover that is actually in the game.

One of the raddest things about this cover is that I think everybody on it is actually meant to be a main character from the game, but it's like the artist had a 1-3 word description (i.e. "staff guy") to go on and absolutely no game material to reference.

From top left, clockwise: Emperor Barbarossa, the hero, Leknaat, Wendy, Ted. With Futch on the center riding his dragon.

For content, Phantasy Star 2 has one of those good-bad covers that simultaneously has a bizarrely different style from the game itself while still looking cool and appealing to the fantasy/sci-fi nerds who'd buy it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I've noticed is that a lot of modern games will have interior art that would make it cool to flip the liner and use it as box art, except that the name of the game isn't on the interior spine so it's impossible to know what game it is in a stack or shelf.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

metricchip posted:

None of this is great...

I think they're okay, not because they're awesome cover art that makes me wanna buy the game, but like... what else can you put on the cover of Toobin?

And since we're talking about Double Dragon and there's not a good box art thread, I always thought Double Dragon 2 NES had badass cover art:

Unsurprisingly, it's apparently unchanged from the Famicom box art.

Baku fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 28, 2016

• Locked thread