Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

HUNDU laying down some solid truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't care for the vvitch but I have never understood the hate for The Village.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't even understand why people complain about the twist.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Shyamalan baby

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It didn't really even strike me as a twist when it happened, though maybe I had heard about it long before.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

No monsters in a movie marketed about monsters in a dope as gently caress setting. And you weren't pissed?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Immortan posted:

No monsters in a movie marketed about monsters in a dope as gently caress setting. And you weren't pissed?

That's not what people remember though, it's the twist about the Village actually being an amish cult in a nature preserve.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Immortan posted:

I don't think too much about trailers and commercials when I see movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the thing people need to remember about Shyamalan is that his movies without twists, like Signs and The Happening, also blow.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

The twist is dumb because it only serves as a twist to the audience and has no real impact on the characters. In The Sixth Sense the twist works because you realize it as Bruce Willis realizes so it has a greater emotional impact. At the end of The Village, everyone who didn't know about the thing at the beginning still doesn't know the thing. It changes nothing for them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Conal Cochran posted:

The twist is dumb because it only serves as a twist to the audience and has no real impact on the characters. In The Sixth Sense the twist works because you realize it as Bruce Willis realizes so it has a greater emotional impact. At the end of The Village, everyone who didn't know about the thing at the beginning still doesn't know the thing. It changes nothing for them.

The park ranger knows now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

computer parts posted:

Thank you.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm fine with people not liking this movie for various reasons because opinions and tastes differ. I probably hate a bunch of movies they liked. It's when people try to convince others that the movie's bad and argue against people saying what they enjoyed about it that irks me.

I've had people convince me a movie I thought was bad was actually good before, because I learned new things about the context or appreciated certain subtleties before a rewatch. But I've NEVER been convinced that a movie I liked was actually bad - recognizing some flaws maybe, but nobody's ever made me hate a movie by bashing it. So I don't really get the mentality of trying to change someone's opinion for the worse, unless they get some kind of odd pleasure out of ruining things for people, but even then it's a pretty futile process because it just makes people who like it defend it that much more fervently.

Conal Cochran posted:

The twist is dumb because it only serves as a twist to the audience and has no real impact on the characters. In The Sixth Sense the twist works because you realize it as Bruce Willis realizes so it has a greater emotional impact.
Same with Unbreakable.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

computer parts posted:

I didn't really think about that since the park ranger is barely a character, but I guess that's a fair point. By the way, I actually liked the Village.

Back to The Witch. One of the things that I like about the Witch is that I personally felt that the picturesque cinematography brought attention to the fact that you were an outside spectator to the events. I got the impression that you were, in a way, seeing things from the perspective of the dark supernatural forces that were pulling the family apart. So even though the Witch isn't physically present for most of the movie, you feel her presence throughout.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I friend of mine used the village as a metric for things that are bad recently and I said "was it really bad or did people just say it was bad?" And he told me "oh it was bad" so I asked him why and he literally couldn't come up with anything.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Cinema Discusso > The Vvitch (2016): Let's talk about the Village

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

HUNDU laying down some solid truth.

Cinema Discusso has come to this. Wasn't that Transformers thread bad enough?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Conal Cochran posted:

Cinema Discusso > The Vvitch (2016): Let's talk about the Village

Let's.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wasn't aware people hated the Village. I thought it looked good and that William Hurt has the awesomest voice this side of Lorenzo Music and I could listen to him talk old-timey for hours. Good performances from Bryce Howard and Adrien Brody too.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Shyamalan's a cool dude and he had a good year in 2015, I liked both The Visit and Wayward Pines.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Surlaw posted:

Shyamalan's a cool dude and he had a good year in 2015, I liked both The Visit and Wayward Pines.

The pilot of Wayward Pines was surprisingly good for being based on a book that's pretty much fanfiction.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The pilot of Wayward Pines was surprisingly good for being based on a book that's pretty much fanfiction.

I watched the pilot, which was good if almost embarrassingly Twin Peaks But Grimmer, and then forgot about it. Was the rest of it any good?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Of course not.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lol that's what I figured. On topic, I'm gonna go see this tomorrow, not that anyone gives a poo poo about what movies I haven't seen

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the thing people need to remember about Shyamalan is that his movies without twists, like Signs and The Happening, also blow.

What's not to like about Signs? It's both really scary and intentionally hilarous. Shyamalan has a fantastic sense of humour.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

DeimosRising posted:

I watched the pilot, which was good if almost embarrassingly Twin Peaks But Grimmer, and then forgot about it. Was the rest of it any good?

It's never as well made as the pilot but it's dumb fun and Terrance Howard is very entertaining. The plot takes some real dumb turns but it's silly enough to just throw your hands up and see where it takes you.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

What's not to like about Signs? It's both really scary and intentionally hilarous. Shyamalan has a fantastic sense of humour.

I will concede that it is up there with The Sixth Sense as his most watchable C+ movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I remember enjoying the Village a lot and even liked the little twist. That was probably the last movie of Shyamalan I enjoyed. It's been poo poo ever since. I just started watching The Visit though so we'll see how that goes - had to stop as it was late and the gf was tired. :3:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I want k.waste to come in here and talk about this movie in relation to Ex Machina. My girlfriend saw this film the second time when she saw it with me, and she saw the film through a feminist perspective.

Also, for the sake of sustaining the structure of our goon society, I will take the place as a person who thinks that if you thought this movie was bad then you are stupid.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just saw this. Liked it a lot.

At first I felt like the period dialogue was a bit thick, but it did a really good job helping transport us into the almost alien mindset of 17th century Puritans. I think if the dialogue had been a little more contemporary that wouldn't have happened as quickly.

The movie looks amazing. One of the very first shots is just a landscape with clouds and it really set the tone for "this is Heaven and Earth and both are tumultuous and confusing places".

One thing that I noticed and really liked was you can see the exact moment when each of the two women becomes receptive to the Devil: when they lose their head covering. Katherine removes hers when she gets out of bed at the beginning of her dream/vision of the things that she covets. Almost immediatly after this is when the aftermath of the shed being torn open is revealed, and we see that Thomasin has lost hers well. Even before this, their hair is progressively revealed more and more throughout the film as tensions and emotions rise. During their final confrontation Katherine's hair is fully down, and it's not matted or ragged, it's luxurious and beautiful.

Related to this, there is only three instances where clothes are removed onscreen: When Thomasin helps remove her father's soiled shirt, when Katherine removes her head covering, when Thomasin takes off her dress and replaces it with a shawl/blanket, and when she finally disrobes for Black Phillip. It should also be noted that Black Phillip was the cause of William's shirt being soiled necessitating its removal.

I am curious about why they chose to shoot it with a 1.66:1 aspect ratio. I'm so used to 16:9 even for television now, I found it very distracting at first. Of course once I got into the movie I didn't notice or mind, but I'm curious if they had a specific reason for wanting it. I say they because I have no way of knowing who specifically decided on that aspect ratio.

But if there was one thing I didn't like about the film, it was too many witches. I'm not joking. I understand the probably wanted to establish right away that it wasn't "all in their heads" but honest if it was up to me I would have cut basically ever shot that showed a witch on screen. For me the best part of the movie was the terror and confusion, the strife created by these people attempting to reconcile these events with their beliefs. Their fluctuation between directing blame inward and outward. The visual depictions of witches felt generic and passe in contrast to the gripping emotion of the other scenes. Not revealing the witch(es) until the very end would have worked better in my opinion because it would have let us be along for the ride with the characters, wondering which, if any of them, was a witch or under the influence of the Devil.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Got super high and saw this a few minutes ago. Not totally sure how i felt. I liked it, certainly. A lot of tension, horror, I spent a lot of the first 60% eyes/mouth agape in horror
Towards the end it was more horror mixed with nervous chuckling, some of it seeming both silly/too-far but still beautiful and horrible in its own way.
While I'm not totally sure how I feel about the ending, I really liked how it felt like the movie was keeping you guessing and shifting in terms of what the nature of its genre and true reality really was.
Just wanna say, Black Phillip is a pimp :drat:
Mods please change my username to Black Phillip. For cinema

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Anal Surgery posted:

Yeah, if I have any complaints about this movie, it's that the goat's face is just so chill a lot of the time that he wasn't as creepy as he was probably supposed to be. Goats rule and Black Phillip rules, but several times the camera pans over to him and he looks like he just smoked a j. "Sssssup, puritans... " :cool:
I like his smug stare at Will after delivering the mortal gore. Robert Baratheon'd that fool.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Just got home from this. There was one other person in the theater, which after reading this thread I'm supremely grateful for. I really enjoyed it - the prayer scene was horrifying

One thing I don't think anyone mentioned was Thomasin's prayer at the beginning of the movie, in which she confessed she was having doubts about their faith. Homegirl was doomed from the first five minutes.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Doomed, or saved?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Surlaw posted:

Doomed, or saved?

This is a good question. While it's hard to argue that the witch(es) were good to the protagonistic family, there's something to be said for the idea that the wilderness was their main opponent. They went out into the wild and tried to make the land serve them. The opening of the movie is them being cast out, followed by a scene of them praying in thanks to God for the land that they believe will serve them. The look at the land and see a bounty for their taking. But they are not rewarded by the land. They face starvation and death because they believe that they are entitled to it yet they venerate God instead of the land. God does not save them, but when Thomasin sees the ruin of her family and faces certain death alone in the coming winter, she seeks communion with the Devil and will presumably live a long and prosperous life.

It's also interesting that even by the characters own admittence, they are full of sin. William talks to Caleb about original sin, and he is guilty of pride and dishonestly, The twins are lazy, Katherine is envious, and while these characters occasionally express regret at these sins they continue to lie and lash out at each other because of them. They do not honor each other. But at the end, Thomasin answers Black Phillip honestly. She goes to him for answers. When Caleb asked William for answers, William told him that the answers was looking for were not his to give and that they were mysteries of God, not to be understood by men. Unlike God, Black Phillip is not silent, and when he asks Thomasin if she wants luxurious things, she answers honestly. She isn't consumed with guilt and judgement.

If you look at the story from the perspective of the Puritan's being objectively wrong about how things work, some elements of the story are practically reversed. Now I'm not saying that I agree with this reading, but I think it's worth exploring. If we consider the witches and/or Satan/The Devil to have saved Thomasin at the end, and work backwards, does that not mean that they may have "saved" the baby at the beginning? From the puritan perspective, the child died before it was baptized and is in hell. But from the witches perspective, it died before the insidious and corrupt puritanical ideology could infect it.

Now, I don't really think those ideas form a cohesive reading, they're just some of the ideas that have been bouncing around in my head since I saw it a few hours ago.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think it's funny that the devil promises butter and pretty dresses, but the character in question is lead to an open firepit with people without clothes writhing around it.

You would think that's a "well poo poo, I backed the wrong horse" moment, but nope.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

I think it's funny that the devil promises butter and pretty dresses, but the character in question is lead to an open firepit with people without clothes writhing around it.

You would think that's a "well poo poo, I backed the wrong horse" moment, but nope.

Well we do see a witch in a "pretty dress" earlier in the film, so I'll bet he makes good on his promise eventually.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Anyone stuck hanging out in the woods of Massachusetts for any length of time is objectively doomed to a life of madness, terror, and raccoons. Nobody is saved, not ever.

Sometimes the raccoons are funny though.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah but then she flies off into the sky so uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah but then she flies off into the sky so uh

So you're an airborne naked person living in the woods.

• Locked thread