Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why in the world were there so many kids at you guys' showings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Loved this by the way. It was the exact right length.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MisterBibs posted:

In setting up a movie that seeks to disabuse audiences of the horror=jumpscare mentality, The Witch winds up creating the platonic example to show why a tension-release experience style of horror works best for current audiences. They get uncomfortable, they jump and scream, they maybe chuckle, and they leave the theater thinking they had a good horror experience. This isn't happening with The Witch.

And?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MisterBibs posted:

I'm going off my own personal experiences (and the word of someone who runs a theater) as well as a 50% audience rating on RT.

What I'm saying is, who gives a poo poo?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I am a member of the audience.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Anal Surgery posted:

Yeah, if I have any complaints about this movie, it's that the goat's face is just so chill a lot of the time that he wasn't as creepy as he was probably supposed to be. Goats rule and Black Phillip rules, but several times the camera pans over to him and he looks like he just smoked a j. "Sssssup, puritans... " :cool:

What specifically is "wrong" about goats is the same thing that makes crows and cats seem sinister. An evil cow doesn't really read, but goats are so easy to anthropomorphize.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's that line from Antichrist? "Nature is Satan's church."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Immortan posted:

I can't decide which movie was more terrible: The Witch or The Village.

They both own.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't even understand why people complain about the twist.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Immortan posted:

No monsters in a movie marketed about monsters in a dope as gently caress setting. And you weren't pissed?

I don't think too much about trailers and commercials when I see movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

computer parts posted:

The park ranger knows now.

Thank you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Conal Cochran posted:

Cinema Discusso > The Vvitch (2016): Let's talk about the Village

Let's.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Surlaw posted:

Shyamalan's a cool dude and he had a good year in 2015, I liked both The Visit and Wayward Pines.

The pilot of Wayward Pines was surprisingly good for being based on a book that's pretty much fanfiction.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Of course not.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I find it really interesting that a lot of the reactions include some variation on "I expected jump scares".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

alnilam posted:

I like-a this post

Yeah, the stuff about burdening children with the confusing concept of original sin is really strong.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They're like the little fuckers from The Brood.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

InfiniteZero posted:

Related: The Brood is another "Family Drama".

Absolutely.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's hard to say which is less subtle about it, but The Brood depicts the unsympathetic ex-wife as a literal bitch with multiple teats, cleaning her pups with her tongue, little kids as twisted little monsters, etc.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Very, very strong The Willows vibe, I agree there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This is hinted at with the mother's sexual jealousy and the brother's incestuous curiosity.

• Locked thread