Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

So who remembers during the Nathaniel Hawthorne unit of high school english class, learning about how in puritan times "the woods" were a symbol of the spooky unknown? That is this film in a nutshell, and it's good.

To summarize the setup: a family is exiled from a puritan New England settlement and starts a homestead on the edge of :spooky:the forest:spooky:. The dad chops wood. A lot of it. They notice that every time they or the camera look at the edge of the dark forest nearby, creepy ambient music plays. Then their baby disappears, and the family starts to freak out. There's also a black goat - that's probably no big deal though, right?

First of all, it's an excellent, beautifully shot period piece of a 1600s New England puritan homestead. The dialogue was period-accurate which pleased me a lot but I could see it annoying some (subtitles wouldn't be a terrible idea). The way the house, barn, and fences were all built, the costume, the food they ate, the wood chopping... I'm not an expert in 1600s New England but there was enough attention to detail that I assume they did their research. Either way I found it very convincing.

Second, and obviously the point of the film, is that it's a great ambient horror piece. Not a ton actually happens, but there is a terrific sense of evil the whole time. Much like the family in the film, as an audience I found myself constantly on-edge and scared but not sure what I was afraid of. The times when there is actual action, it is realistic in a way that made me squirm and cringe a little. When there is an actual witchly ritual, holy poo poo is it disconcerting.

Cinematography note: the lighting and color balance stood out to me as particularly good. After the film, someone told me that apparently they used natural light to the maximum extent possible, which I think added a lot to the... primitive, squalid, inglamorous feel of the family's life.

The soundtrack contributed a lot to the ambient horror. It was a mix of scratchy creepy strings, and discordant stuff that reminded me of Ligeti (the guy who wrote the creepy choir stuff from 2001).

Oh also it has the breastfeeding lady from Game of Thrones.

Anyway it was the best horror film I've seen since It Follows. I give it 8/10, with 10/10 for the wood chopping scenes. Please discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mithra6 posted:

I suspect some of the curse elements might be missed by some people, because the filmmakers don't draw your attention to certain things. It's just part of the backdrop of the world in the movie.

Could you elaborate (in spoiler tags)?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Cool, I caught the egg and the rabbit but not the other things.

I wanna see it again too. There are so many cool details in the film and yet most if them don't even feel deliberate, they just feel like someone pointed a camera at an actual 1630 homestead.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

As far as movies about new england witch magick go, it's up there with Hocus Pocus.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Man, I'm really surprised to hear how different people's audiences were. My audience was dead silent.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I worked at a movie theater for years, and just lol at people who ask for a refund. (Sorry if this is an old topic here, this is my first CD thread :ohdear:)

I'm still really intrigued by the "using mostly natural light" aspect. I've done a little filming of my own but I'm not very knowledgeable. But I find it hard to imagine not using at least some extra fill light, even when filming in daylight. Do you think they did? Or maybe they used reflectors to use the sun as fill light?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

This is my first time in CD, are films always this divisive :ohdear:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

lol nice

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

eSporks posted:

I don't see how you can think the witches deliberately manipulated the family to recruit thomasin, there is no evidence for it. That may have been the intent of the movie, but it was not demonstrated.
The only time a witch is shown to act with any intent at all is when the baby gets stolen

The way things were portrayed, the family would have outcast thomasin with 0 influence from the witch. A lot of people are looking at the lack of a plot and filling that empty space to make the movie seem as though it wasn't so empty.

This is like postmodern literary theory 101 and it's not a bad thing :shrug:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Surlaw posted:

Babies are full of Original Sin. That's like the most sin per pound that a monster can possibly find, of course they eat them. It's like McNuggets to woods witches.

Not to mention the sin per time alive quantity is unrivalled.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

People referring to the dialog as "Old English" is giving the linguist in me a twitch.

Sorry, a Tvvitch.

Same, and i similarly get nerd-angry when people refer to Shakespeare as "old english" :goonsay:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

if a movie doesn't scare me that doth not mean it's not still a horror movie...

Verily

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

*yawn* rosemary's baby is like an episode of full house

Rosemary's baby with a laugh track would be really disconcerting

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Snak posted:

And that's totally fine. Predictability doesn't negate horror.

One part that I personally thought was effective was Thomasin scaring the bratty little sister by the stream, saying that she was the witch and if Mercy didn't leave her alone and ever told anyone she would eat her. You can straight-up tell during this scene that this is going to come back to bite her. That's the role of scenes like that in stories. Thomasin is acting out, she is not 100% serious, but she is throwing her weight around, doing a bit of bullying because her buttons are being pushed. It becomes scary, for Thomasin, when during Caleb's apparent possession, when they all now believe that the devil's work is afoot, Mercy tells everyone that Thomasin admitted to being the witch. This puts Thomasin in a horrible position where, because the context has changed, because she is now a woman, and there is all the evidence of witchcraft, that she must either admit that she did say she was a witch and then try to convince them otherwise, or lie in an attempt to save herself. Which is surely a sin.

Then after this, she thinks that while her mother is now poisened against her with grief, her father trusts and loves her. And it is in the comfort of his arms that she realizes that he is reminiscing with her about what their dreams were as a family because he is saying goodbye. And she has lost everything. The horror lies in the utter destruction of Thomasin's life by guilt over sin.

I have been thinking about this story a lot, and it is not sin that damns these people, but their concepts of sin requiring guilt and blame and punishment. William is prideful and dishonest and he feels great shame in this. Katherine is covetous and jealous and likens herself to Job's wife. Caleb is lustful, both towards Thomasin and the witch he sees in the forest, and for this he feels shame. The twins are carefree at first, friends of Black Phillip, but when they realize they will get in trouble for it, they renounce him and are afraid for what they have done. Only Thomasin is steadfast in standing by her choices. She only lies once, in jest, to Mercy, and she admits that she did and she knows why she did. She defends herself and her actions honestly, not moaning about her sin or the sin of others. She accepts responsibility for her actions. She admits her wants and desires. And that is why she is saved.

I like-a this post

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Senf posted:

Not sure if it's been discussed already, but I just want to say that the Black Phillip song sung by Mercy and Jonas is great and that until now, I didn't know the exact words. From the director:

Black Phillip, Black Phillip
A crown grows out his head,
To nanny queen is wed.
Jump to the fence post,
Running in the stall.
King of all

King of sky and land,
King of sea and sand.
We are ye servants,
We are ye men.
Black Phillip eats the lions
From the lions' den

Mercy and Jonas :black101:

Gonna go record the doom metal version of this, brb

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Just watched this again for the first time since theaters. Definitely just as good the second time around, and I really enjoyed noticing more cool details of it. I also paid close attention to the lighting, since I only learned about the director's "natural lighting as much as possible" approach after my last viewing. It really shows. Especially in the house in the scenes with Caleb lying unconscious and then freaking out and dying., the way the natural light comes in through the window works really well.

Definitely paid more attention to the deadly sins that correspond to the different characters. I had previously totally missed the apple that Caleb vomits up, the same apple he had lied about, so thanks to people itt who pointed out that detail, that's super cool and spooky.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

smallmouth posted:

Obviously the apple he throws up before dying is representative of the fruit of tree of the knowledge of good and evil--the apple comes up whole, he didn't "eat" it.

Ooh I hadn't thought of that angle, I just thought it was his lie coming back up his throat.

Also he has lust :mrgw: but he tries to suppress it and be good. e: well, until, you know

alnilam fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 19, 2016

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It's October, the spookiest of months, and therefore a good time to watch The Vvitch if you haven't yet, IMO.

I personally plan on doing a double feature with the other spookiest witch movie, Hocus Pocus.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Waverhouse posted:

Watched this movie. Acting, photography, and general aesthetic were amazing. Well paced imo, and built and held tension well.

Thematically it seemed really confusing to me. It sort of felt like it was about religion, then it sort of felt like it was about coming of age, then it sort of felt like it was about how female sexuality is bad(?), then everything got really real.

Only fair reading imo: in a truly spooky twist the movie pushes LaVeyan Satanism. The father, mother, and son all show signs of the 9 Satanic sins and are therefore punished. The father is punished for his pious pretentiousness with isolation. The mother is punished for her solipsistic projection with images of rotten fertility. The boy, having accepted Satan (indulging in the sin of pleasure) is redeemed. His rapture is his embrace of The Adversary; the apple-vomit is his rejection of the 'knowledge' of christianity. The father and mother, blind to the last, are killed. We do not hear of what happens to the twins, as LaVeyan Satanism preaches that no harm can come to children (so that they can sing their creepy songs presumably). Thomasin, seeing the self-deceit inherent in religion, chooses Satanism and to 'live deliciously,' a reference to Satanisms focus on epicureanism. In the final sequence she feels the fear of someone leaving all that they know and the ecstasy of someone who as a rich life ahead of them.

:twisted:

I don't like how militant atheist that reading feels but I think it's a bit more interesting than lol ergot poisoning or surprise: turns out the devil is real!

That's a cool reading imo, but yeah if you went off explaining it to someone you'd be in danger of sounding like an obnoxious Internet Atheist. But I'll assume the best of you and say hey that's actually a cool interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

A crown grows out his head,
To nanny queen is wed.
Jump to the fence post,
Running in the stall.
King of all.

King of sky and land,
King of sea and sand.
We are ye servants,
We are ye men.
Black Phillip eats the lions
From the lions' den.

:same:

Henchman of Santa posted:

I watched this last night. I didn't love it but I thought it was cool and I would definitely recommend it to other people like me who are too wimpy for many horror movies, because it's mostly about atmosphere and the couple of jump scare type moments are massively telegraphed SPOOKY REVEALs. Really beautifully shot and great music, which people haven't talked about much in this thread (though I have a few pages left to read). I did need subtitles though, between the dialect and the quietness of their voices (especially when the kids are listening through the wall when they're supposed to be asleep).

I also could not stop thinking of parallels to The Shining. Besides the obvious seductress turning out to be an evil hag scene, you've got a family living in isolation driven mad by supernatural forces, repeated use of an axe, creepy twins, abnormal communication, etc. I'm probably missing some things. Maybe those are just horror tropes and I'm not that well versed.

Yeah i liked the music a lot. I also like your Shining parallels - might not be intentional but who cares.

• Locked thread