Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
One minor nitpick I'm having with the game is that they keep referring to Rachel as, well, Rachel: it feels a bit weird that every other officer is referred to with their role except for her, despite being the chief science officer.
It is admittedly the only thing I'm finding off for now, and I'm looking forward to seeing how good this game actually is, though the positive comparison to Cataclysm is making me hopeful that it is (and that I may have to get it myself :v: ).

The cutscenes remind me a lot of the Thief series with the art direction they chose for it and the background chatter so far provides a lot of minor details on what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

berryjon posted:

Actually, a lot of people get names - in the post mission debrief. The Inel Officer is Nathan S'Jet, for example.
Yes, but he mentioned that while recording his personal log, not during the "go / no go" phase of getting the ship online for example.
Again, it's a very minor nitpick, but I was wondering if I was the only one that thought of it. :shobon:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

berryjon posted:

Also, something I didn't mention in the second video - when a general unit levels up, they do get a name when you click on the unit itself. All the LAVs are piloted by someone from the Kiith S'Jet, the Armored Vehicles are Kiith Soban.
That is a really cool level of detail.
I'm more and more impressed by this.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

Edit: It might just be that this game using lots of fine details on big patches of very similar colors definitely makes this particular behavior of youtube way more glaring than usual?
Games' video quality has been increasing constantly, but Youtube encoding isn't keeping up so artifacting like we've been getting in the past few videos is just going to get worse in general.
Unfortunately this is all on Youtube's part and so there really isn't much berryjon can do on his side.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

berryjon posted:

Usually you get actual people involved before killing them off. Name dropping a person like that is just bad writing.
So, was the name-dropped guy the pilot of the lander that was shot down, or the pilot of the lander that pulled a sick evasive maneuver and still managed to succesfully touch down?

Also I'm guessing that we'll find some way of taking control of that previously unknown orbital weapon that was not mentioned anywhere before and looks suspiciously like GDI Ion Cannon? :v:

radintorov fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 4, 2016

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

berryjon posted:

No words here. I have enough of them in-mission.

:psyduck:
Why is there a Taiidan carrier and more importantly how does Rachel know what the Taiidan Empire is?!
In Homeworld 1 they found out about the Taiidan after they turned Kharak into a fireball and they interrogated one of the frigate captains attacking the cryo trays.
This is one hell of a retcon.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 6, 2016

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

She thinks it is simply the name of the ship ("a military capital ship that seems to be named Taidaan"). Of course, if it was intact enough to learn its name, that it had emplaced the satelite and still have a functional trigger aboard, then that raises the question I mentioned earlier about how they didn't learn about the Taidaan empire from the computer banks of the wrecks.
Now I feel dumb: I really should've watched the briefing again before posting, because you are absolutely correct and she does call the ship the Taiidan. The Empire isn't mentioned anywhere. :saddowns:
In my defense I watched the video yesterday before heading to bed, but I really should've double-checked because it's not quite as bad as I originally thought, even though as you said it's odd that they managed to use the onboard systems to take control of the orbital Ion Cannon withouth finding anything else about them.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I think Rachel's brother died long before the Ion Cannon obliterated one of the Gaalsien fleets, since the cinematic mentioned that the orbital platform sent an IFF query, which means that it was likely operating on Jacob's modified targeting to engage anything near the Khar-Toba.
And speaking of, that's one of the very few things that still bugs me, since the future-Exiles weren't supposed to have Ion Technology until the Bentusi gave it to them; since it delivered a blast instead of a continued beam of energy, they could've passed it as some sort of kinetic weapon delivery system and still use the asset they originally made.
Though since I missed the obvious earlier, I have to ask if it's stated explicitly that the satellite is a Ion weapon instead of something else.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
You did a great job showing off the game and explaining how the game story fits in the established lore better than I originally thought it did.

• Locked thread